The Unknown Fact

Play by the Rules

A text message received from Yoona and Donghae instantly know what the message was implying.


Oppa, can you meet me at the playground? At 6pm?


The playground. The place where they first met as a child. It's been a while that neither Donghae, Kyuhyun nor Yoona had frequented since they had grown up. It definitely brings back a lot of memories.
Donghae looks at the message again before replying a short, "Of course. See you at 6pm".

"I don't know that you are so eager to see me?"
Yoona immediately turns to the voice of the owner with a small sheepish smile.
"Have you been waiting long?" Donghae ask while walking towards Yoona.
The girl just shakes her head, still having the same smile. "I just came too"
Both of them seat in the swings. It was a cool evening signalling the start of Autumn. The auburn leaves that grows on trees are such a pretty sight.
"Autumn is coming" Yoona said breaking the silence. Donghae just nodded.
"I did not realize it's already here" Turning her attention to Donghae, she asked, "How is Seohyun? Did anything bad happened to her?"
Donghae heaved out a long sigh before answering Yoona, "She's ok now. She's in the hospital"
"What? Why? How did she end up in the hospital?" Yoona asked, shocked.
"Yonghwa - that bastard kidnapped and tried to her. He's been crazy over her. Luckily nothing serious happened to Seohyun. But she's traumatised and injured"
Yoona was shocked listening to what happened to Seohyun. She felt so sorry she never tell Donghae or Kyuhyun about Yonghwa stalking Seohyun. But she never know it could be that serious. Still, she feels so guilty about it.
"Oppa...I'm sorry....I never knew this would happen.....I never...knew...it could be this serious"
"Yoona, you're not at fault. Nobody knows about this. Well, except for Seohyun and Kyuhyun. But that's not the point. Don't blame yourself, Yoona"
"But...still.....I feel like I'm at fault at this...." She choked at her last sentence, feeling so guilty that something bad had happened to Seohyun and that she knew something was wrong but did not tell anybody.
Yoona imagines the worried face of Kyuhyun. Kyuhyun that she knows ever since she was a kid. He never shows much expression in front of her. But that worried face when he was searching for Seohyun, she could never imagine Kyuhyun of being able to hold such expression. Will he act the same way if she is the one that had gone missing instead. She could not help herself but to ask Donghae.
"Is....is..." she hesitated.
"Is Kyuhyun fine?" Donghae completed her question with his eyebrows raising looking straight at Yoona.
She avoided his eye contacts, not knowing if asking such a question at this time is acceptable so she just nodded her head, looking at the ground.
"He's fine, Yoona, if that's what you want to know. I sent him back home"
"I've never seen Kyuhyun oppa so worried before. Are they together? Kyuhyun oppa and.....Seohyun?"
"I don't know Yoona. But I've never seen Kyuhyun like this before. That kid is so protective of Seohyun"
"Oppa.....what...should..I do?"
"Yoona....."
"Everybody knows I like Kyuhyun oppa. Everybody. Then Seohyun comes along and then this........" Yoona couldn't continue her sentence as tears welled up in her eyes and she started crying.
Donghae left his swing and went to Yoona. He bent down in front of her and patted her head.
"There's something you can't force, Yoona"
"But I like Kyuhyun oppa...."
"I'm sure he likes you too"
"But not as much as he likes Seohyun?"

Donghae did not gave an answer. He just don't have the heart to further break Yoona's heart. It's already heart wrenching to see Yoona in this state. He knows that one day, this will all happen. Donghae had known that Yoona was fond of Kyuhyun since they were little. But he also knows that Kyuhyun had stated countless times that he never had any feelings for Yoona. Donghae even made Kyuhyun to promise not to let Yoona know of the fact. The younger boy had told Donghae to confess his feelings to Yoona instead but Donghae was too stubborn knowing that Yoona only see him as a brother figure and that he did not want to hurt Yoona by telling her that Kyuhyun had no feelings towards her.
"Silence means yes" Yoona statement made Donghae look up on her face, stunned at the sudden assumption. She is no longer crying but still the stain of tears on her cheek are evident.
"Yoona....."
"I know it. Just I can't accept it. I've known Kyuhyun for years. Seohyun just came months ago. We had practically spent our whole life together. But why can't he see me?"
"Why can't you see your own surrounding, Yoona?"
Donghae's sudden question made Yoona stare into Donghae's eyes.
She was taken aback at how tired Donghae seems to be. The sad eyes. They're telling Yoona something she couldn't decipher at the moment.
They stayed silent for a moment.
"What do you mean, oppa?"
Donghae shrugged. "It's late Yoona. Let's go home"
"But I'm hungry" Yoona pouted, instantly forgetting her worries when she hears her stomach growls.
Both Donghae and Yoona looked at each other and laughed.
"I can't believe you were crying earlier"
"I need a hug, oppa"
"Always" Donghae smiled and pulled Yoona for a hug. "Remember I'm always here" he whispered.
Yoona smiled ever so brightly after Donghae released her from his hug. "I know I can count on you. I'm sorry I cried earlier"
"Can we go for dinner first? I'm really hungry!" she whined.
"Of course!"

That night, before Yoona drifts off to sleep, Donghae's word is stuck in her head.
"Why can't you see your own surrounding, Yoona?"
What does Donghae mean by it. Her surrounding? All this while, she had been thinking and focusing only on Kyuhyun. If there were anyone else, that would be Donghae himself.
Is he impying on something about himself that Yoona should know? She felt a sudden headache thinking about the question. One thing that she knows it she needs to find the answer soon.

 

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

A/N: I took me a long time to update. This is not the intended chapter but my laptop broke down and the original chapter was gone with it. This chapter is full of YoonHae. Don't worry, SeoKyu will come in next chapter. Off to write the next chapter now.