Castle

P. I Unit (Paranormal Investigation Unit)

“Jieun, what are you doing here?” Himchan was standing in front of her with his hands in his trousers pockets. “Oh it’s you, Himchan” she let out a relief sigh. “You okay? You look as if you saw a ghost” he leaned forward to look at her face because he was too tall. “No. I’, fine” “Okay then. Hey, it’s getting late. You shouldn’t walk alone” “I know. I am going to my room” “But isn’t your room that direction?” he pointed to the girls room. “Yeah. Right. Well, see you tomorrow. Good night” Jieun turned around and rushed to her room.



 

“Let’s go, L. Joe. We should go to bed too” Himchan looked at L. Joe beside him. “Yes. Let’s go” Both of them turned around and walked to their room.



 

“Wait! I have to use the toilet for a while” L. Joe patted his shoulder. “Oh sure. I’ll go to the room first” Himchan glanced at L. Joe who walked into the toilet near them. Himchan left L. Joe and took the corner to their room.



 

            Himchan turned open the door.



 

“Where did you go, Himchan?” L. Joe asked as he got out from the toilet in their room. “Wait! What?!” Himchan was shocked and puzzled. He quickly closed and locked the door behind him. “I’m asking you where you have been. You suddenly ran out of here and left both of us. Luhan had just slept” L. Joe nodded to the already slept Luhan.



 

“Why are you here? You’re behind me just now” “Hell no!” “What are you talking nonsense in this middle of night?! Don’t joke with me! You went to the toilet outside right?” “What?! I just got out from this toilet! Now who is talking nonsense here?” “But you said-“ “Whatever. I’m too tired to listen to you” L. Joe went to his bed and pulled the blanket over his body. Himchan gulped and trembled.



 

“W-wait for me!” Himchan too slid himself into his own blanket.



 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Good morning!” Amber opened the room to the dining room. “Good morning!” Hye Kyo placed a tray of tea set on the table. “Let me help you with that”



 

            Yoona and the boys came into the dining room.



 

“Let’s eat, everyone” Hye Kyo called with smile as she sat at her place. “Thank you” Yoona said. Everyone took their places and enjoyed their breakfast.



 

“It’s raining heavily this morning” Hye Kyo gazed out the window. Lightning and thunder struck as the rain poured down heavily. “Yes. Look like we have to wait until the rain stops before going to our campsite” Luhan spoke. “Yes, Luhan. Is your leg alright?” “Better” he smiled.



 

“Wait! Where’s Jieun?” L. Joe asked. “Oh. She is getting ready I guess. We woke her up late because she said she barely have any sleep last night” Amber replied. “Why? Is there something wrong?” Hye Kyo asked. “No. She’s sometimes can’t sleep at night when she is at a new place” “Oh. You seem to know her very well” “Yes. We’ve been friends since primary school”



 



 



 

“Are all of you okay with the clothes I gave?” “Yes. Thank you for lending the clothes to us” Himchan nodded. “You’re welcome. Many people got lost in the forest like you and accidentally left these clothes behind”



 

“Good morning” Jieun entered the dining room. “Sorry for being late” She took a seat beside Yoona. “Good morning, Jieun. Do enjoy your breakfast” Hye Kyo smiled. “I will. Thank you” L. Joe gazed at Jieun from the corner of his eyes.



 



 



 

“Yoona-sshi, look here” Himchan looked at Yoona from the lens of his camcorder. “You brought that?” she rounded her eyes. “Haha, of course. I’ll never walk out of my house without this”
 

“You should look at his backpack. It’s like he brings his house with him” L. Joe glanced at them before continued to read a classic story book. “I do bring many things around. You know what people say ‘guard against trouble’” Himchan lectured proudly. “But the thing is you brings many useless things” “Useless? Tsk. Name it” “Well, cards and chess. What can those do if we’re in trouble?”

 

“You have chess? I want to play it” Yoona got up from the sofa she was leaning. They were in a study room with a fireplace. “Sure. Here” Himchan quickly

took out the chess and placed it on the table.
 

“Where are Amber and Jieun?” Luhan asked L. Joe. “They help Hye Kyo clean up a room” L. Joe didn’t take his eyes away from the book. “Oh” Luhan was bored to the max. He looked around and played with his fingers for a while. Then, he sighed and called L. Joe.
 

“L. Joe, I want to go to the toilet” Luhan took the walking sticks that Hye Kyo had lent him. “Hmm” L. Joe eyes never leave the book. *Tsk. He should have offered to help me* Luhan rolled his eyes and walked out from the study room.


 


 


 


 


 


 


 

 “Where should I put this box, Hye Kyo-sshi?” Amber was holding an old box. “There. At the corner” Hye Kyo pointed to a corner of the room and turned to Jieun with her hand holding a broom to sweep the dusty floor. “You okay, Jieun?” “Sure” Jieun gave her a smile. The three were at a small old dusty room. Amber and Jieun helped Hye Kyo to clean the room.


 

            Amber placed the box on the floor and Jieun continued to wipe an old mirror in the room full of kids’ toys.


 

“Whose room was this?” Amber asked Hye Kyo. “It’s my nieces’ room. The kids moved to Seoul years ago. I barely have time to clean this room. It’s lucky to have you here. I’m sorry for troubling you” “You didn’t at all. In fact, it’s raining heavily outside. We can’t go back to our campsite so it’s better to lend you a helping hand” Jieun replied. “Thank you”


 

            Amber saw a box full of kids’ clothes and got excited.


 

“These were your nieces’?” Amber got on her knees and held a small dress for a two-years-old girl. The pink color had faded by the sunshine. “Yes. That’s Hyejin’s. She loves that dress so much. But my sister accidentally left it here. That’s all her belongings that she left” Hye Kyo explained and smiled at the thought of the little girl cute face. Amber took a drawing under the dress. It was a painting of a sunflower.


 

“Owh! So cute” “She likes that flower. I once grew it at my backyard”


 

            As the two were chatting, Jieun found a thick book of maze on top of an old wooden closet. She tip toed to take the book at the edge of the closet and went through the pages.


 

*Only few front pages had been done*


 

“Oh that’s Dongjin’s. He is my brother’s son” Hye Kyo glanced at Jieun. “Dongjin” Jieun pronounced his name ad went through the book of difficult mazes. “You can have it if you want. No one going to solve it here” to her surprise, Hye Kyo said. “Really? You sure?” “Of course. It’s not like I’ll do that mazes” Hye Kyo smiled. “Thank you” Jieun put it aside and continued doing her chores.


 


 


 


 

“All done!” Amber stood after she put another heavy box at the corner of the room. She stretched her exhausted body. “I’m done here too. You, Jieun?” Hye Kyo put the broom against the wall. Jieun nodded. “Okay. Let’s rest. I’m sure both of you are tired” Amber just nodded and followed Hye Kyo out the room. Jieun took the maze book and followed.


 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

       

            Luhan walked back into the study room. “You guys” he was about to call Yoona and Himchan but stopped. ‘They’re asleep while playing chess? That’s funny’ he furrowed his eyebrows at the sight of the already asleep Yoona and Himchan leaning against their armchairs. “L. Joe” he turned to search for L. Joe figure but he was not to be seen. The book that L. Joe been reading was on the armchair that he sat. ‘Where is him?’


 

“Yoona-sshi” Luhan tried to wake Yoona up but she doesn’t make any move. “Himchan. Wake up. Where’s L. Joe?” he shook his asleep body on the armchair. Himchan too doesn’t seem to realize Luhan present and continued his slumber. “Wake up!” Luhan raised his voice but the two were failed to wake up.


 

‘What the- I’ll find L. Joe myself!’ With his injured leg, he walked al over the house to search for L. Joe. “L. Joe!” he opened their room door. No one. Luhan kept calling his name. In fact, it was like he was the only human exist in the house. “L. Joe, where are you?” he whispered and almost tear up.


 

“L. Joe” he searched the dining room. Not a sight of a person can be seen. Luhan walked through the hallway. Feeling exhausted, scared and panic, he leaned against the wall and flopped onto the floor.


 

“Where is L. Joe?” he started to sobs. He brought his legs into his embrace. ‘I’m doom! If I can’t find L. Joe, our family will blame me for sure. What am I going to do?!’ he sobs more.


 

“Amber, you hear that?” Jieun asked Amber. They were walking to the study room with Hye Kyo. “Hear what?” “That whimpering” she whispered. “I hear it” Hye Kyo glanced at them with furrowed eyebrows.


 

“Luhan!” Jieun ran to him as she saw Luhan was the one who helplessly crying. Luhan looked up to meet eyes with Jieun. “What happen? Why are you crying? Why are you here?” she shoot questions. “L. Joe is missing. I can’t find him anywhere” he spoke between his sobs. “Calm down. Let’s go find him, okay?” Jieun patted his back. He nodded.


 

“What’s up?” Amber stood in front of them. “He said L. Joe is missing” “Maybe he went to the toilet” Hye Kyo suggested. “I searched him there but he isn’t there” Luhan replied.


 

“Okay, calm down. Get up first, okay?” Jieun tried to comfort Luhan like a little child. She stood and held her hand out, waiting for him to hold it. Luhan slowly took her hand and stood with his walking sticks.


 

“Tsk. Such a crybaby” Amber rolled her eyes. Luhan just gave her a glare and she ignored him. They entered the study room.


 

“What takes you so long in the toilet? I thought you lost just now” L. Joe closed his book and stared at Luhan. “Where did you go?” Luhan questioned back. “I didn’t go anywhere. I was here all the time with Yoona and Himchan”


 

“Yeah. You’ve gone too long. We already played two rounds” Himchan replied and Yoona nodded in agreement. “What’s with those tears?” L. Joe shoots Luhan a glare. “I’m tired looking for you! And I want to ask Yoona and Himchan but they were asleep and don’t wake up! So I decided to search for you! But I don’t find you anywhere!” Luhan almost burst into sobs again.


 

            Jieun patted his shoulder. “What do you mean you look for me? I’ve been here all this while! I didn’t leave this place once! If you don’t believe, ask them”


 

“Calm down, everyone. Now that we are all here, let’s just rest okay?” Hye Kyo tried to calm the situation and took a seat at an armchair. “Hye Kyo is right. Relax, okay? You should sit first” Jieun smiled at Luhan and led him to an empty sofa.


 

*Crybaby!* L. Joe glared at Luhan as he walked with Jieun and rolled his eyes.


 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


 

            Later at night before they went to bed, Yoona stood in front of the mirror and fixed her hair. Once again, Jieun witnessed Yoona face was ugly, full of bruises, blisters and bleeding cuts with her eyes nearly fall out from its sockets in the mirror. Jieun can’t take her eyes of the reflection.


 

“Why is it still raining? It had been a day. How can we get back to our campsite if it’s raining?” Yoona complained. “Maybe the rain will stop tomorrow morning. We can just be patient” Amber tried to be really patient with her complaints. “I’m darn bored here. There’s even no TV or coverage signal here”


 

            Amber rolled her eyes at Yoona ear-paining complaints and gave her pillow a few punches. “Good night, you two” Amber sunk into her bed. “Good night. I’m going to bed too, Yoona-sshi” Jieun took her place to sleep. “Hmm” Yoona replied half hearted. ‘Great! Leaving me alone’


 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


 


 

            Amber blinked her eyes at a sudden white bright light. ‘What the-‘ She tried to talk but she can’t. She slowly sat up and turned to the window. ‘What is this bright light? Why can’t I talk?’ Amber flinched as the light came into her eyes. Her head felt dizzy and her whole body felt numb and tired. She was in a complete confuses.


 

‘Where are Jieun and Yoona?’ Amber couldn’t see both of them. Their places were tidy like it was never touched. ‘That’s weird. It was too quiet’ suddenly, she heard laughter of kids. ‘Kids? There are kids here?’ Her mind couldn’t stop from shooting questions. She slowly stood on her feet and walked to the door. A set of footsteps came running passed the room in the hallway with laughter and giggling of happy kids followed. ‘Seriously? There are kids here?’


 

            Amber braced herself to turn the door knob and stepped slowly to the bright hallway. No one was there. A ball rolled to her foot. She picked it up in puzzlement.


 

“Hyejin!” a little boy voice could be heard. With that, a girl entered the hallway. She jumped a bit as she saw Amber. She stepped to Amber with fear expression. “Hurry up, Hyejin. Take the ball” the boy voice could be heard again. The little girl, Hyejin had a scary looking scar across her left cheek. She held her hand out. ‘Oh! The ball’ Amber gave the ball to her with smile. Slowly, Hyejin replied the smile and said,


 

“Thank you” she walked through the hallway. ‘Where’s everyone?’ Amber looked at the other direction. When she turned to the direction Hyejin walked, the little girl couldn’t be seen. ‘That’s weird’


 

            Amber feet brought her across the hallway and down the stairs. The kids’ laughter can still be heard.


 

“Please enjoy yourself, Mr. Teddy” a little girl voice could be heard near the fireplace in the living room. Amber stepped there and saw two girls were playing dolls near the fireplace. She smiled at the sight of them and opened to call but her voice wouldn’t help her. The girls doesn’t seem to notice her present.


 

‘They didn’t see me?’ Amber tried to look at her reflection in a mirror nearby. Surprisingly, she had no reflection. ‘That’s really odd!’ Amber slowly took a seat on the carpet with them.


 

“Jisoo, do you want some tea?” a girl held an empty teacup toy to Jisoo. “Thank you, Eunseob” Jisoo took it and both of them laughed.


 

            Amber stood, smiled at them and walked through the second floor hallway. She saw a figure of someone sitting on the floor, leaning against the wall. She approached the person and realized that it was a boy. The boy was busy completing the mazes in the thick book of mazes. ‘Looks like this boy can’t see me’ she thought.


 

“Dongjin, let’s go play” a boy came from in front of Amber and turned to the boy with book. “No. I don’t want to. Hye Kyo will be mad at me” Dongjin answered. ‘Why would Hye Kyo want to be mad at them?’ “Chill. She won’t be. Come on” “Okay. I’ll come later” Dongjin smiled at him. The boy just ran through Amber. She was so surprised. ‘He can go through me? What am I? Am I dead?’


 

“I know. It’s weird right?” Dongjin suddenly stood and faced Amber. ‘Wait! You can see me?’ “Yes” he replied. ‘You can hear me?!’ “Yes. I don’t know why but who are you? What are you doing here?” ‘I don’t know. I don’t know what’s going on’ “Okay. Suit you” he answered short and turned to walk away. ‘Wait!’ He ignored her and continued to walk. Amber could hear kids’ footsteps running to her from the back. She turned to see three kids ran towards her with laughter. ‘Dongjin!’ She turned to call Dongjin but he was nowhere to be seen. ‘What?! Where’s him?!’ Her thought was disturbed by the kids’ laughter and shouts.


 

            Without a purpose, Amber followed the three children into a wide balcony. The wide open balcony was built of woods that were connected beside a green hill. Amber's was taken by the beauty of the balcony and the scene that was going on. Many children in 1940s clothes were playing and laughed to their heart. Their happiness brought smile to Amber face. She looked around and saw Hyejin. The little girl was looking at her with smile. Amber replied her smile and saw Dongjin leaned against the wall while doing his maze book. *It's weird that he likes mazes*


 

Amber continued her walk to the center of the balcony. Some kids who didn't see her ran through her body like she was some kind of ghost. Suddenly, an angry snarl shut everyone up and the kids’ faces were paranoid. Hye Kyo, who can't see Amber entered the balcony with red face because of anger and shouted something.


 

*What did she say? I can't hear her* Amber head suddenly started to feel dizzy and she fell on the floor. She could hear the kids cried in agony but wasn't sure what was going on. Amber heard someone fell beside her and turned. A boy with his bloody neck lay beside her. He was no longer alive.


 

*What?! What was happening?!* She turned another way and saw a girl with his head cut off from her neck beside her. Amber was shouting in her head. She collected all her strength to sit up with her elbow. A thrilling scene was before her eyes. The happy children were now dead before her eyes. Their blood had drenched the wooden floor. Some of them were pierced with knives and some of them were hung on the ceiling.


 

*What happen?* Amber tried to look around and blurry view and saw Hye Kyo smirked evilly with her hand holding a bloody knife. Hye Kyo kicked away the lifeless body of Hyejin.


 

*Hyejin!!! What had Hye Kyo done??!! Why did she kill them?!* Amber head felt more and more heavy by a second. Her eyes shut slowly and her whole body gave up. Everything had turned pitch black.


 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


 

Amber quickly sat up and panting heavily. "What was that dream?" she whispered. *Wait! I can talk again!* Amber tried to look around. She was unable to see anything in the darkness of night. Her hand tried to feel her bed but all she felt was wooden floor. She tried to call Jieun and Yoona.


 

"Jieun! Yoona!" No replies. A nervous cold shiver ran down her spine. Her whole body started to shiver because she knew she wasn’t on her bed and alone. “Where am I? Where is everybody?” her lips trembled. “Jieun! Jieun! Don’t leave me alone! Yoona! Help me!” Tears started to form in her eyes and in any second it could fall. Hearing to the scary noises around her like unknown source of footsteps, she was paranoid. “STOP! STOP RUNNING!! GO AWAY!! JIEUN!!! WHERE ARE YOU?!” Amber shut her ears and eyes while shouting. “GO AWAY!!” she shouted.


 

“Amber!” Jieun suddenly sat up and looked at Amber but only found her empty bed. “Yoona! Wake up! Amber is missing!” Jieun rushed to Yoona and shook her body. “Go look for her alone. Don’t disturb me” Yoona turned the other way. “Hurry up! Do you expect me to go alone this middle of night?! Wake up!” “Okay, fine!” Yoona got off her bed while rubbing her eyes. Jieun turned open the room door.


 

Jieun looked at the dim lighten hallway. It was silent. *Amber, where are you?*

"Hurry up. I'm sleepy" Yoona yawned and suddenly pulled by Jieun to run through the hallway. "Slowly!" her shout was ignored by Jieun. They climbed the stairs to the third floor and were panting. A loud yell could be heard.


 

"W-what's that? Is that ghost?" Yoona whispered. "I don't know. Wait! Isn't that Amber's voice?" They had their ears on the sound while walking down the hallway. Slowly, the yell became clear.

"Jieun! Yoona!"

"Amber!" Jieun sprinted to the part of the house they never discover while dragging Yoona. "Hurry up, Yoona!" "I'm trying" Yoona was panting. "Amber!" Jieun called her name and slammed the door to the balcony open. "Amber!" "Jieun! Where are you?" Amber was sobbing. Jieun tried to find the switch when she suddenly felt a hand directed hers to the switch she could found.


 

*What's that?* Jieun the lamp and saw Amber was on the floor. "Amber!" Jieun ran to get Amber while pulling Yoona. "Jieun" Amber hugged her tightly and whispered. She was almost faint of fear. "I'm scared" her lip was trembling.


 

"Calm down. I'm here, okay? Don't be afraid" Jieun caressed her back, hoping to stop her tear. Yoona was hesitating but at last she patted Amber on her back. "Don't worry, Amber. We're here"


 

Sets of footsteps came running to the balcony.


 

"What happen?" Hye Kyo asked and she rrushed to the girls as she saw Amber. The three boys followed behind her to the girls.


 

"You okay?" Himchan asked with his knees on the floor. Slowly, Amber nodded still in Jieun arms. "She's fine. Maybe she just scared" Jieun replied


 

"How can she get here?" Himchan turned to Yoona. She just shrugged. "Let's all get rest first. We'll talk about this tomorrow morning, okay?" Hye Kyo caressed Amber's hair. They nodded. Jieun and Yoona helped Amber to walk out from the balcony into the hallway followed by others. At the girls' room, Jieun tucked Amber into her bed and Amber rest.


 

"Sorry for waking all of you at this wee hour" Yoona was standing at the door frame. "Nothing matter. We were worried when we heard the scream" Luhan replied and yawned. "Well, see you tomorrow" Hye Kyo smiled and all of them went to their rooms.


 

Yoona closed the door and went into her bed. "I'm sorry, Yoona" Jieun spoke. "Hmm" Yoona fell asleep. Jieun was about to switch off the light when Amber pulled her hand.


 

"What is it, Amber?" "Don't leave me alone, okay?" her eyebrows furrowed. "Of course, Amber. I just sleep beside you, see?" Jieun pointed to her bed beside Amber. "Get some rest, okay?" Jieun pulled the blanket over her body and caressed her hair. "Thank you, Jieun" Amber smiled and shut her eyes.


 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


 

Jieun was combing her hair and glanced at Amber who was sleeping soundly on the comfy bed. It was already morning.


 

"Yoona, I'm going downstairs first, okay?" Jieun knocked on the bathroom door. "Hmm" Yoona replied from the inside. Jieun left the room and to the dinning room.


 

"Hye Kyo-sshi, where are you?" she called. "I'm here. At the kitchen "Hye Kyo answered. Jieun walked through the dinning room and into a short hallway to the kitchen.


 

Hye Kyo was flipping the pancake in the hot pan. The aromatic smell pierced Jieun's nose. "Hi, good morning" Hye Kyo smiled. "Good morning. Wow! That smells nice. This must be delicious" "Wait till you taste it. It's my family secret recipe. I love this pancake myself" Hye Kyo dropped the last pancake on the plate.


 

"Help me put these on the table" Hye Kyo held two plates of 8 level pancakes to Jieun. "Sure" she took it and went to the dinning room. Hye Kyo followed with a tray of coffee in her hand.


 

"Good morning" Himchan bowed as he entered the dinning room. "Good morning, Himchan" Hye Kyo smiled. *She's gorgeous* he thought and smiled alone.