Summer Camp

P. I Unit (Paranormal Investigation Unit)

"Lee Byunghun!" Mrs Han shrill voice woke him from his sleep. The blonde boy lifted up his head from the table. "Ah?" The old teacher gave him an accusing look, "Don't sleep in class. Please pay attention." Byunghun made an innocent look. "No, no, I'm not sleeping." Mrs Han sighed. "Whatever.. but please.. pay attention while I'm teaching in front."  "Mm." he assured her with a nod, and the teacher turned to the blackboard. 'Pfft.' he stuck out his tongue.

  Mrs Han put her chalk down. "Class," she faced the class, "We are going to have our summer camp next month. If you're interested, give your name to Mr Choi." her announcement caught Byunghun's attention. 'Sounds interesting.. I'll think about it later,' he closed his eyes and continued his sleep.

 


 

Amber walked to the school garden with lunchbox on her hand. "Yoohoo.. Jieun!" she waved at Jieun who was reading a novel under a tree. She gave her a bright smile and sat beside her. Jieun lifted her head, smiling  back to her bestfriend. Amber opened her lunchbox, revealing the contents inside. With both hands holding a sandwich, she asked her, "You're not hungry?" Jieun did not give any reply.

She seemed to be so engrossed with her novel. "Oi! Are you listening?" Amber slapped her book.  "What? I'm listening... and I'm not hungry.. you can see that I'm not eating now.." Jieun's voice slowly trailed off as she continued her reading. Her friend smiled sheepishly. "Sorry. Hey, are you going to the camp?"

Jieun raised an inquiring eyebrow. "Hmm? What camp?"

"Summer camp. Are you going?"

"Maybe no."

Amber put her half-eaten sandwich into the lunchbox back. "Why? You wanna let me go alone? Don't you pity me?" she pouted and blinked her puppy eyes. Ah, no one can resist her cuteness. Jieun plastered a smile, and ruffled her best friend's hair. "I'll go with you."

"Really? Thank you! You're my best friend, Jieunnie!" Amber hugged her and fed Jieun her sandwich.

 


 

Silent filled the living room of Byunghun's house. He stared at his mother's tall figure who was back facing him. He gulped. "So... would you let me go?"

Mrs Lee took her seat at the sofa in front of her sole son.  'll let you go,only if.." L.Joe cut her off, "Only if Luhan go with me? Why do I need to take him with me?"

Her mother replied with a stern look. "Because he is your cousin and he can take care of you!" He let out a groan and ruffled his hair. The excuse was unreasonable. "But he can't even take care of himself. He is so childish! And you cling to a childish boy to take care of me?"

"Luhan is more capable than what you think. He might be childish, but at times.." He cut her off again. "At times! Not everytime, right? Please, mom! Let me go alone! It won't be Luhan who would take care of me, it'll be me who taking care of him."

With lips pursed, Mrs Lee replied sternly, "My decision is final. I won't allow you to the camp, unless you bring Luhan with you. No more questions." She marched upstairs, leaving L.Joe with a headache.

'I don't get why everyone love that Chinese boy so much.'

 



 

The bus arrived at the dormitory. Greenery filled the atmosphere. The students cheered as they see trees everywhere, a scene that cannot be found in a metropolis like Seoul. They got off from the bus and lined up according to their teachers order. Mr Han stood in front them and give his next order. "Gather here at 12 p.m. Now you may go to your respective dorm." The students dispersed and walked inside the dormitory.

 


 

Yoona fan herself with her hands. 'Ahhh... so hot! If it wasn't for L.Joe, I won't be here.' She turned her gaze to L.Joe. This guy could really melt her heart.

A sudden rough jostle pushed her to the hard ground. "Yah!" She turned and saw Jieun dusted her pants. "Hey, could you be more careful?!" She asked demandingly. Jieun bowed and said sorry to her. Yoona just crossed her arms and looked away from Jieun.

"Students, line up." The students lined up accordingly to Mr Han's instruction. He called out the names and seperated them into groups of six.

The Im girl just stood there, not going anywhere. Her diva-ish attitude stopped her from moving her legs and went to mix with her group members. They'll look for her eventually, so she don't have to hassle herself with such things.

"Hi, we're in a group!" she heard a voice from her back and saw a cute boy with someone that seemed very familiar.. 'BYUNGHUN!!! We're in a group! YAYYY!!' she jumping in glee with herself. Beside Byunghun, stood a tall handsome boy, that Yoona recognised as Kim Himchan, the school's soccer captain. "Aside from you," she pointed to Himchan, "Byunghun and..." "Luhan. Xi Luhan. Byunghun's cousin."

Yoona rolled her eyes. "Where's the other members?" The question should be asked at the Himchan who was the leader, but she meant it to Byunghun. Jieun and Amber should be here now.

“Students, attention! Be in your group line now” Mr. Choi's order caught everyone attention. “Today we’ll go for ungle trekking. Be sure to stay together and listen to my orders. Don’t play around, okay?”

“Yes, sir!” The students replied eagerly. Mr. Choi and two male teachers lead the students into the forest.

 


 

Most of them enjoyed the green and fresh air in the forest. The breath-taking scenery and adventures that awaits them in the forest made them keen to walk into the forest. Well, most of them, except Yoona.

'Eww. Mosquito' She slapped and rubbed her arms, totally grinding the black mosquito. Realizing her actions, Himchan held a small bottle of mosquito repellent to her. “Use this."

"Oh thank you. Wait, hold it first. I need to clean this .” She scrubbed the tissue to her arm abruptly. "Crap. Why would there be insects in this world?" Himchan just stared at the girl who was complaining and quickly applied it to her arms. Yoona returned the mosquito repellent to him. “Thank you.” “You’re welcome.” She looked to the front and saw L. Joe was far in front of her. She let out a small sigh. Himchan went to check his friends.

“Are you two okay?” he asked Amber and Jieun. “We’re fine.” Amber replied. Yoona looked to the one that Himchan was talking to and saw Jieun. She quickly turned her head. “Yoona, are you still mad at me?” Jieun patted her shoulder. “I’m really sorry. It just an accident.” Yoona turned to her. “It’s okay.” she plastered a plastic smile.

 



After two hours of trekking, they stopped at a river. “Students, we stop and rest here for 15 minutes. Then we’ll continue our jungle trekking." He said to his students. “Can we go swimming?”one of the boys asked. “No. It’s dangerous to swim here. The river flow is too heavy.” Mr. Choi reminded the students to be careful.

Himchan’s group settled under a big tree. “This forest isn’t interesting at all.” Yoona pouted. “Could you please shut up? If this forest isn’t interesting to you, what makes  you come here in the first place?” L. Joe shot her a glare. “Go home and live your diva life.”

“Relax, hyung." Luhan patted L.Joe's back.  "I’m sorry Yoona-sshi. He was just tired.” He gave her a smile.

 



“Ji Eun, are your ankle okay?” Amber asked. Jieun nodded while rubbing her sprained ankle. Catching up their conversation, L. Joe quickly took a look at Jieun’s ankle. “You sprained your ankle? How can this be? You okay? Can you walk? Do you want me to help you?” he shot questions at her with concern look. “I’m okay, L.Joe. I’ve applied cold spray to my ankle”

“Okay then. Be more careful next time, alright?” he reminded. “I will.” Jieun assured him. Yoona just watch the scene with envy.

Luhan drank his water and gazed around the thick forest. Everything was so green and brown, but his eyes catched a glimpse of a flying yellow butterfly.  He could not take his eyes away from the butterfly. As if the butterfly was calling out for him,

 

The butterfly flies high…its beauty shines in the light…


 

"The butterfly.. so beautiful.." Luhan stood up and followed the trail of the butterfly. "Luhan- Where are you going?!" L.Joe shouted after Luhan that was already chasing the butterfly. "Yah L.Joe!" Himchan cried, and gesturing to his friend to run after L.Joe.

Luhan stumbled upon a small trunk adn fell flat on the uneven ground of the forest. He lifted up his face and saw the butterfly flied near him, as if it was waiting for him. Luhan quickly got up and chased after the butterfly. It went deeper into the forest until it reached a big lake. It flied across the lake, leaving Luhan dumbfounded there.

He was about to jump into the lake when he felt  strong grip on his shoulder. "Got you!! What are you doing here, huh?" Luhan pointed to the butterfly, "I was chasing that." L.Joe snickered, "How old are you, Luhan?" The younger male just lowered his head.

 

“Look at what you did! You drag all of us into the middle of nowhere. Now, we’re lost” Yoona complained. “So do you know how to get back to the camp? Luhan?” L. Joe crossed his arms. “I’m sorry. I don’t know how to get back to the camp” his voice started to fade. In annoyance, his cousin clicked his tongue. “Like what my mom said, you are so CAPABLE and can take care of me. Now, it’s your chance to show capability by guiding us back to the camp” he said sarcastically.




 

Luhan can’t take it anymore. “Why do you hate me so much? Did I ever do anything wrong to you?” he asked. “I hate you because you stole every attention from our family! They looked at you like they never seen a Chinese before. In their eyes, you are so flawless. I don’t see anything good in you. They were blinded by your so-called cuteness. it, they turned away from me when you came. I wished that you just stay in Beijing forever!”




 

“But it wasn’t my fault! You can’t blame me if they love me more. Maybe you’re just being too sensitive” he claimed. “No! I’m not!” L. Joe let out a cry and grabbed Luhan shirt collar. Himchan pulled L. Joe away from him. “Stop it! Could you guys be more relaxed? Fighting and arguing won’t solve anything” he let go of L. Joe. “Before its getting dark, we should look for our way back to the camp. Do all of you bring your torchlight?” he asked. Everyone nodded except for Yoona and Amber. “Amber you can walk with Luhan while Yoona with Jieun. L. Joe, you’re with me” he instructed.




 

“So now, let’s look for Luhan’s footsteps because I don’t think he remember how we get here, right Luhan?” “Mmm. All I remember was just the butterfly” he told.




 

            They looked everywhere and followed the trail of Luhan’s barely seen footsteps. But weirdly, the footsteps just bring them to the lake go and over. They stopped for the fifth time they reach there. “We came here numerously. And we still far from the camp? What should we do now?” Yoona asked desperately. Her pretty face turned ugly since her face was dirtied by sweat, dust and soil “Even your footsteps won’t help at all” L. Joe sneered. Luhan pouted. ‘You’re lucky you are my cousin or I’ll kick your for sure’ Luhan sat under a shady tree beside Amber. While the others were at the lake to wash their faces. Feeling exhausted, he rested his head on the tree trunk and closed his eyes to sleep. His short nap was peaceful, but he was awake by a motion of something slimy and cold on his legs.




 

            He woke up and slowly sat up to see the ‘slimy and cold’ thing. A snake was gliding on his leg. He tried not to make any move and stayed calm. His heart was thumping hard while waiting for the snake to glide off him. ‘Quick, quick. Go away’ he prayed. He saw L. Joe walked to his place and quickly showed a sign of ‘Quiet’ He didn’t get it. He walked closer to him and immediately back off when he saw the snake gliding on Luhan’s fair leg. “Luhan!! There’s a snake on your leg!” “Don’t move!” he told Luhan and grabbed a stick. L. Joe hit it continuously, causing it to hiss at him.




 

“Hyung, no!” The latter tried to stop him. Feeling insecure, the snake hissed and bit Luhan’s leg. “Argh!” the little kid groaned in pain while holding onto his bitten leg. “Lulu! Omo! What to do?!” L. Joe panicked. Hearing at the commotion, everyone rushed to Luhan. At the sight of Luhan’s swollen leg, Yoona ans Jieun gasped. Without hesitate, Amber quickly took her scarf that she tied at her arm and tied it to Luhan’s leg to prevent the venom from spreading into his body. She began to the venom and spit it out. After all the venom had been out, she applied olive oil to the wound.




 

“Luhan, you okay?” L. Joe asked. Jieun went to Amber and patted her shoulder. “You did a good job” she praised. “Thanks” Luhan nodded slowly but still he felt the sting. “You should rest” Himchan advised and looked around. “It almost dark. We should find help” “How can we find one in the middle of the woods?” Yoona questioned. He just shrugged. “We should try. But let’s wait until Luhan is fine” They just sat there staring into spaces. An hour later, “I think I’m okay now” Luhan tried to move his foot slowly. “We should start look for help or we’ll be in total darkness” “But how can you walk?” Jieun asked. “Don’t worry. I can help him” L. Joe volunteered. “Okay. If you want to. Let’s move” Himchan got up and started to walk. The others follow.




 

“Amber’ Luhan called Amber in front of him. She looked at him. “Thank you” “Sure. No problem” she replied. “Be careful, Luhan” L. Joe was holding onto Luhan waist while left hand curled at L. Joe’s neck. “Thank you, hyung’ L. Joe just nodded. “Guys, look over there!” Yoona pointed to cloud of smoke. It was coming from a big house beside a hill. “A house? Maybe someone is there” Himchan looked at the house. “Maybe we can ask for help. I hope they’re kind enough to do that” “I hope so. Let’s go there” Without much thinking, Himchan led them to the house. Near the house, they can see some old and collapsed houses. “They look scary” Jieun held onto Amber’s hand. “Don’t worry. There’s nothing there”




 

            At the doorstep of the house they looked at each other. L. Joe looked at Himchan and nodded to the doorbell. He shook his head. Himchan gulped and braved himself to press the doorbell. ‘If I don’t ring the bell, all of us will forever be lost’. All of them waited nervously. The big old front door had been open slowly. A beautiful young lady stood there. Himchan mouth gapped.




 

“Omo! What are you doing out here?” “We’re lost” Himchan answered. “It’s okay. Come in” she invited them to enter the house. All of them was in awe at how enormous the house was. “Sit first” the lady told them and went to the kitchen. The six of them sat at the cozy living room and let out sigh of relief. “I’m so tired. I thought we will walk forever” Yoona voiced. “Is your leg okay?” Everyone looked at Luhan. “Okay. It become less sting” Jieun stared at the family photos hung on the wall. ‘I sense something wrong. But what is it?’




 

            The lady came into the living room holding a tray of tea.




 

“Here. I know all of you are thirsty” she sat at the single chair facing Jieun. They drank the tea. “How can all of you get here?” They told the lady about on how they can be last. “Oh poor you. It’s okay. Just stay here for the night. Anyway, I’m Song Hye Kyo. I’ll show you your room. Since there are a lot of rooms here, do you prefer to have your own room?” Yoona wanted to say ‘yes’ but Himchan quickly cut her off. “It’s okay. We’ll just have two rooms. One for girls and another one for boys”




 

“I’m Kim Himchan” “I’m Im Yoona” “I’m Luhan” “I’m Jieun” “Amber” “L. Joe”




 

“Oh, nice to meet you! Please make yourself comfortable here” Hye Kyo plastered a sweet smile. “You” Hye Kyo pointed to Luhan, “Come with me. I’ll treat your wounded leg” L. Joe stood up and helped Luhan.




 




 

            Yoona threw her backpack brutally on the tiled floor. “Bull. I need to stay in a room with two stupid girls. ”, she mentally cursing. She sprawled on the bed and stared on the pale-colored ceiling. She was about to close her eyes when she heard a young boy calling her name. “Yoona noona…”




 

            She immediately sat up to look for the little boy. There was no one insight but few meters in front of her, she could see her reflection on a huge antique mirror. Yoona didn’t realize the mirror was there when she came in.




 

            Like a stimulus, her feet paced to the mirror. The mirror sized half of her body. She could see her hourglass perfect body.




 

“Noona neomu yeppo”




 

            Yoona surprised and turned to the voice. No one. She was alone in the room.




 

‘Maybe just my imagination’ she shrugged the matter off and continued to look at her reflection in the mirror.




 

            Jieun opened the room door and her backpack in her grip fell onto the floor. “Yoona-sshi” her lips trembled. Yoona saw Jieun from the mirror reflection and turned to her. “Yeah. What?”




 

“You-“ Jieun’s fear almost choke her. Her eyes glued to Yoona’s reflection in the mirror. “Yes. What is it?” Jieun finger pointed to the mirror. “The mirror? Is something wrong? Is something wrong with my face?” Yoona looked at Jieun and the mirror one after another.

 

“You look like corpse” Jieun whispered and started to walk backward. Yoona’s reflection in the mirror wasn’t the beautiful diva Yoona but what Jieun saw was a hideous old corpse. Only Yoona didn’t see it. “What? I didn’t hear you” “No. I just want to take fresh air for a bit. Bye” Jieun quickly closed the door behind her.

“She’s a total freak” Yoona complained and fixed her long black hair with smile.


 


 

“What was that? It’s creepy” Jieun took a deep breath to calm herself down as she walked down the quiet hallway alone. ‘It’s so silent. Doesn’t Hye Kyo afraid being here alone al this while?’ She looked at the big pictures hanging on the wall. It were the painting of the fascinating scenery. ‘Whoever drew this must be really skilled’
 

“Swoooh!!”
 

            Jieun turned around as she heard someone walked fast behind her. ‘What the’ her eyebrows furrowed. She was walking alone. Now, she heard a set of footsteps walking toward her from her back. Then the footsteps stopped.
 

‘What’s that?’ Jieun shut her eyes in fear. She slowly turned to face front again.