Chapter 11

We Were There

 I heard my alarm ring. I was too sleepy to get up and waited until my alarm started to ring louder. I dragged myself to get up and take a bath. As the tub is filling itslef, I stared at the mirror and stared at myself. 

I lost the glow I once had, I told to myself. I started thinking about Kyungsoo. Was everything real yesterday? Am I just hallucinating? I remember how there he was again with me on the rooftop. The last time we were there, I was crying too and he comforted me with a hug. Yesterday, he confessed. He confessed without giving me hints that he somehow likes me or so. 

I let myself relax in the tub. The cold water touches my skin as if I have never touched it for a long time. I closed my eyes and let myself wonder how I have been for the past year. I heard myself called out a name that was so familiar, even my heart could hear it. 

"Taehyung-ah" I tried to wake him up on the first day of our last year in middle school. "Yah, Kim Taehyung" 

"What?" He drowsily asked, trying to rub his sleepy eyes. "Can you please not sleep? The homeroom teacher's going to spit out fire now. Wake up. Come on." 

Taehyung stretched and yawned. He looked at me and glared. 

"What?" I asked.

"You just ruined my brother's beauty rest." Yuri said as she approached us. She smiled at me. "I dont like you, you know." 

"I know that." I told her. 

"But I like her." Taehyung said as he stood up from his chair and held my hand. "You know that too, right?"

"No." I told him. "I dont even know you." 

"Yah." Taehyung half-screamed. "Lee NaNa! What?! You dont know? Why? why? I've been loyal to you ever since-"

"ever since this morning." I laughed. "We just met." 

Taehyung didn't stop bugging me ever since we met. He knows her twin sister doesnt like me but he still likes me. He doesnt really care about other people. Everyday, I looked at him like the sun that keeps on making my day shine brighter than yesterday. 

"Lee NaNa" Taehyung said as he lies down on my lap as we sat under the cherry blossom tree. "You are mine. And only mine." 

"I know." I laughed at him. "I wont be going anywhere."

"Me too," He said. "I wont be going anywhere. I will love you until the cherry blossoms wouldnt bloom anymore"

"Do you think we'll grow old together?" I asked him.

"As long you believe in me," He sat up and put his arm around me, "We will." 

"Promise?"

"Promise." 

But not all promises are kept. We cant really control our life. Taehyung is such a wonderful person who is loved by everyone, not just me or Yuri, but everyone. We were getting ready for Chuseok when Taehyung started absenting from school. Even Yuri too. I was worried sick. It was the worst feeling I felt ever since I was born. It was a week before Chuseok when Taehyung and Yuri came back. Yuri wont talk. Taehyung looked pale. As if he was sick. But he was still as lively as he is. 

But, I didnt become his girlfriend for no reasone. I knwo there's something wrong. I just want Taehyung to tell me. And he did. We were in the classroom, just the two of us and he was there sitting in his usual seat while I sat at the desk near him. 

"Taehyung," 

"Nana," He said my name as he looked out the window. "We're stilll young. Just 16.. What if-"

"You know I dont like too much talking." I sighed. "Tell it to me straightly."

He laughed. But his laughed didnt sound as lively as before. "You are my girl."

"I am." I told him. "Always."

"I'm sick." He smiled as he looked at me. This idiot is still smiling even though he's sick. "I wasn't prepared for it. It just came unnoticed." 

"I'm going to die. Soon." He looked at me smiling as if saying 'it will be fine'. "And I wont be able to grow old with you."

I kept silent. Letting his words drown me. 

"I'm sorry."  It was all he could say. 

"You will get better if treated right?" I asked, trying to sound okay." I mean the doctor's wont let you die." 

"They wont." He said." But it's no use since it cant be helped anymore." 

"No."

"I'm sorry." 

"What do you need?" I asked, my voice started to shake. "Blood? organ? I'll give you mine. Just stay please."

"I need you" He stood up and walked towards me. "Just stay beside me until I live. Just always remember to look at the cherry blossoms when I wont be here anymore. I'll just be there, smiling at you" 

He lived. For a week. Chuseok came and he was not there. I went to his house to see Yuri. She said Taehyung was drived to the emergency room this morning. I went there. And there he was, lying down with tubes connected to him. 

"You said you'll be going to our festival." I tried to make the atmosphere a bit light. 

"I cant" He smiled. "I just waited for you."

"What?" 

"I waited for you." He smiled and held my hand. "Now I can rest I will always love you."

He slowly closed his eyes before I even get to say something. The machine started to beep. The lines became flat. I heard the door open as nurses and doctors enter his room. I was stunned. 

It all ended just like that.

I opened my eyes and smiled. It was a beautiful memory with a tragic ending.