Kim Seolhyun

A Friend in the Mirror

6 years old Kim Seolhyun looked at his older brothers played soccer at their backyard in daze. She waved at Junmyeon who shot her a heart sign.

"Oppadeul are so cool!!!"

She shoved them her two little thumbs and giggled when her perfect eldest brother, Kim Minseok, lifted her from ground and planted a peck on her cheek.

"Thank you dear. Aren't you bored watching us playing soccer everyday. You don't have to watch us, you know. Besides, it's practically sizzling hot recently. I know you don't really fond of hot weather."

Minseok looked at her with pure concern. He touched Seolhyun's reddening face and checked her temperature. Meanwhile Junmyeon twirled her braided hair with a small smile.

"Let's go back to your room. Your scalp is burning."

Seolhyun hummed and snuggled closer to her oppa's sweat-covered chest and pinched his skin lightly.

"It's hot, oppa.", she whined lowly.

"Told you. You're soooo bad, Seolie-ah. Listen to your oppa's word next time, will you?"

She hummed again and felt asleep in embrace of her loving brother.

 


 

"Minseok hyung!!!"

Seolhyun stared blankly at snow which was white now turned into red color. Stained by her own brother's blood. Junmyeon released Seolhyun's hand and rushed to Minseok. But Seolhyun still nailed at her place without any sign of moving.

"Minseok oppa.", she whispered and started moving to the growing crowd.

She crouched down, took his limp hand. Minseok turned his blood-covered head to Seolhyun and grinned widely.

"Seolhyun-ah, oppa looked scary, right?"

She nodded and Minseok let out a small chuckle.

"Saengil chukae, Seolhyun-ah. your present is in your room inside your drawer, okay?"

"Ne oppa. Thank you."

Minseok smiled for last time and closed his eyes forever, leaving Junmyeon with silent tears and Seolhyun with confused mind.

"Minseok oppa, wake up. It's cold here. Don't sleep here, please. You'll get sick. Lets go home. You still owe me a glass of hot chocolate. And you said that you will teach me how to make your favorite cafe latte. Oppa, wake up."

She kept shaking his body but still no answer from Minseok. She didn't know why but her tears had already made cold trails to her cheeks silently.

 


 

"It's all because of her. If she didn't nag for a cheap cake, Minseok wouldn't have died now!"

"She's just an innocent child. And that day was her birthday. Stop blaming her!"

"My perfect son and heir left this world too early and it's all her fault!"

"For God's sake, stop blaming Seolhyun! She did nothing wrong."

The said girl tried her best to stay silent. Her now-eldest-brother had told her to be a strong girl who won't shed tears over petty things.

"It's my fault. It's all my fault..."

She clutched Minseok's last gift closer tighter, a necklace with big S letter covered with ruby and diamond, and broke down. She bit her hand to prevent her sobs became louder. At least she didn't have to be a strong girl inside her own room.

Her hands wiped her cheeks roughly when she heard Junmyeon knocked at her door softly. She cleaned and straightened her messy hair.

"Ne oppa?", she tried her best to look okay.

"Minho said that Zelo misses you and he's waiting for you at his 'hideout'."

"Okay."

"Seolhyun-ah?"

"Ne?"

"Everything is gonna be okay. Trust me.", he assured with small smile.

She smiled widely but it didn't reach her now soul-less eyes.

"Of course oppa. Everything is gonna be okay."

 


 

"S-Soojung-ah...", she whispered with trembling lips.

"Now, you can see how miserable she is. So what are you guys afraid of? Just attack her!!!"

Seolhyun kept her eyes shut when she saw another flour attack came. Not only flour, she could also feel egg was being thrown to her. She knew that some of her classmates didn't really like her slightly cold attitude, but she just couldn't understand her fault until they did this to her. Especially Soojung.

"Yah! Get out of my way, peasants. What kind of ruckus are you making here?"

She slowly opened her eyes and widened her eyes. In front of her, there stood 2 senior that was well known as the sassiest senior who liked ordering other junior, Key and Nicole. The two highest senior looked at her with confused expression. They couldn't recognize Seolhyun's face which was white mixed with disgusting yellow thanks to mixture of flour and egg yolk. But their mouth wide opened when they read her nametag. To her surprise, Key and Nicole rushed to her side and started checking her out. Nicole, with squinted eyes, stood and faced Seolhyun's classmates with anger.

"I know this attack isn't from one person only. Who is the one who started all this mess?"

Silence that filled her room only added fuel to her anger.

"Aren't you going to answer her question?", Key shouted.

One by one, fingers started pointing at Soojung who cowered her near door. Somehow the revelation of main culprit made Nicole put her hands on her hip.

"Yah, Jung Soojung!!! I never knew you can make this kind of mess. I will really tell uncle this time. Seolhyun, let's go. We'll clean you up."

Nicole helped her standing since her feet felt like jelly. She stopped in front of Soojuung who still looked pissed and her eyes flicked with small fire.

"Soojung, I can't understand why you are doing this to me. I thought we're friends."

"Friends? Kim Seolhyun, stop lying to yourself. You know this 'let's be friends with Seolhyun' thing is only a play. you suddenly snatched my attention from teacher and still acted as if you're innocent when you're ignorant and arrogant towards us. You acted as an angel when actually you're a ing devil. Listen to me , you will never be able obtain a friend with that ing attitude of yours."

Her words only got a slap by fuming mad Key.

"Save your foul mouth for yourself, . I don't know where you learn that word from but I don't like hearing a curse from a junior especially from only a second grader like you.", he growled.

"I'll report this mess to headmaster so all of you will be punished properly. A punishment from homeroom teacher will do nothing for you. So you better watch out. I'm not sure if you guys still be able to study here or not. And this is also an example for you who are watching this. Now get out of my way!", she commanded and dragged Seolhyun to health center to clean her up.

"Why are you still standing here? Dismiss and go back to your respective class.", Key shouted and tailed them to health center.

"You are Kim Seolhyun, little sister of Minseok sunbae and Junmyeon, right? We have heard a lot about you from Junmyeon. You looked so adorable in your pictire with him. But I don't know you're this... Ehem... Adorable in real life. Ouch! It hurts, Cole!", he hissed when Nicole pinched his arm hard.

"Don't think too much about his idiotic words. I'm sorry for what my cousin did. I know she's an evil but I don't know she can bully a person like this. Kibum-ah, tell Junmyeon about this and ask him to take her sister home."

"No! Please no! Please don't tell Junmyeon oppa about this. He has recently stressed a lot because of exams. I don't want to add his burdens. Key sunbaenim, Nicole sunbaenim, I sincerely thank you about this and your help. But I'll appreciate more if you don't tell Junmyeon oppa about this. Please sunbaenim. I beg you."

Both of 'the scariest' senior exchanged glances and nodded.

"We won't tell him. But I'm not sure if this will be unheard by him. Rumors spread faster than lightning bold here."

"Yeah. And since bell just rang 5 seconds ago, can you clean up by yourself. We need to go back to our class and we'll send your permission letter to your teacher. You will be okay by yourself, right?"

Seolhyun nodded slightly.

"Thank you so much sunbaenim."

"It's nothing anyway. Take care, Seolhyun-ah."

"Ne sunbaenim."

Once she was alone again, her tears betrayed her and flowed again. She should know. She should know that she was only a toy.

"It's hard being a strong girl, oppa.", she choked her own sobs.

"Everything is gonna be okay, Seolhyun-ah. Everything is gonna be okay."

She kept whispering to herself although she knew that she won't be okay. After she cleaned herself and changed into spare uniform that is supplied by school, she lay down, still chanted to herself. As she drifted off to sleep, Soojung's remark kept ringing inside her head and her tears fell down once again.

 


 

After that day, Seolhyun slowly but sure changed into other person. She sacrificed almost all of her playing and sleeping time to study more. Although Junmyeon and her mother had tried to stop her, their words were treated like a wind. And she even studied harder after her mother died because of illness. She kept working hard under her dad's silent pressure. Her act resulted with premature maturity. She's calm and always keeps her composure in front of people. Because of Soojung's remark that kept replaying inside her head, she pulled herself from society, became distant and cold to everyone except few people. Although people envy her with her rich family background, smart brain, pretty face, lean body and tall height, they always turn their back to her once they know 'the broken Seolhyun'.

 


 

"That's me. Now, like other people, do you want to turn away from me too?", she asked with sad smile graced her face.

 


 

THIS IS THE ENDof this chapter.

It's so long right? But I hope you enjoy this chapter as much as I do when I wrote this. Sorry for my late update too. I wrote this last night and finished around midnight. But my laptop was being so good to me and suddenly turned off without any reason and when I opened it, this was only a blank page!! I almost ripped my scalp by pulling my hair too hard. But the length of this chapter kinda make it up for you, right? Please comment and give lots of love ^^

 

Seolhyun's dead eldest brother, Kim Minseok aka EXO Xiumin

Duo 'meanie' senior, Kim Kibum aka Shinee Key and Kara Nicole

The meanie girl, Jung Soojung aka F(x) Krystal (I'm not her antifans. Somehow 'evil diva' aura radiates from her and she fit this role perfectly with her cold face. DON'T HATE ME!!!!!!)

 

Bye for now :B