Burdens

A Friend in the Mirror

"What? Psychology? Are you kidding me? What would you be in the future? It's useless!!"

Seolhyun narrowed her eyes at her yelling father and crossed her leg arrogantly. Then she crossed her arms in front of her chest to prevent her ding foolish action such as punching glass table in front of her.

"So? Am I not allowed to enter psychology?"

"No. You have to enter medical study at SNU (Seoul National University) or took scholarship abroad. And you may not take psychology. At least take business and management like your brother."

"I understand.", she said flatly and raised to her room.

Although her face was flat, a loud bang on her door quite indicate how angry and annoyed the 'perfect' Kim Seolhyun. Her hands grabbed her window curtain and closed it harshly until it produced ear-piercing squeak.

Her hand grabbed pillow and threw it across the room. Her balled fist arrived at teddy bear dolls that lined her bed until those innocent dolls arrived beside her pillow.

"What? What would I be in the future? Do my hard works staying up late every night can't assure them enough about my future? What are they huh? Do they have heart?", she grumbled in fluent English.

She punched her suffocating chest. Her burdens are too much for a teenage girl who should enjoy their life to fullest. She wants to run away. Even for a while. Her head was blank and foggy in the same time.. Crystal-like tears started flowing, wetting her pale cheeks then fell to her thick blanket which she gripped hard. Her sniffles and wails echoed lowly through her room but of course nobody heard her behind those soundproof room.

From outside, Zelo had just arrived in front of his gate when his ears heard that not-so-nice-but-familiar curtain squeak. He glanced at his wristwatch which had just pointed at 8PM.

"Something's happening.", he mumbled.

After he had put his bag in his room, he hopped to Seolhyun room's balcony that only 1.5 meters apart from his room. He wanted to knock at her window when Seolhyun's faint sobs caught in his ears. He knows how strong Seolhyun tried to close her heart and looked strong from outside. But his brain flashed a picture when Seolhyun tried to cut her wrist and almost died of blood lost if Zelo didn't peek at her room and smashed the window at that time. He tried to get out of that picture and knocked at the closed window rapidly.

Seolhyun jumped from her bed when a loud banging sound at her window surprised her. She wiped her tears-stained face then sighed loudly. A know (or loud bang sound in this situation) only means one thing. Neighbor's uninvited late night visit. And she really doesn't like getting a visit in this kind of messy situation like now.

"What?", she shouted lowly but hard enough for Zelo. Her hand rested on window's knob but still hadn't opened it.

"Noona, open the window please."

"It's late already. Go home, brat."

"Open the window or I'll enter through main door."

Zelo sighed in relief when Seolhyun finally opened her window with annoyed face. His worry expression immediately changed into wide foolish grin.

"You better have a very good reason for coming this late at night.", said Seolhyun with gritted teeth.

'At least she didn't do anything harmful.'

"For your information, pretty noona, my watch has just struck a quarter past 8 and it didn't even close to late at night. I'm alone and bored so I wanna play a bit with my neighbor."

"Well fortunately I'm busy and don't wanna play at all. Get out!"

"Come on noona. How dare you hush your pretty cutie neighbor."

"Noona is tired, Zelo-ah."

"Then what did you do?"

Zelo entered Seolhyun's room as if it was his own and laid his lanky body on Seolhyun's messy bed. Seolhyun could only sigh when she looked at Zelo's too-carefree-and-I-don't-give-a--about-your-privacy attitude and closed her window.. With a little help from Zelo, her room has back into its normal in a flash.

"So, what're you doing with your school uniform until this late?"

Seolhyun put her head over Zelo's flat stomach like usual without noticing faint red blush that started creeping its way to Zelo's cheek.

"I had a little business at school.", he answered after cleared his throat.

"A little? Until late night?"

"Well okay. I had a little additional study time because I was messed up a bit at my recent exam."

"A bit?"

Seolhyun squinted her eyes and raised to take one of the leather-covered notebook that she took from her locker last week.

"Fine. I can't follow history class that well, okay? Just blame that boring old geezer."

Seolhyun lied flatly again and opened the book. Her fingers trailed hurricane-like circle inside a triangle symbol that craved behind the cover. Zelo looked at her now calm noona with a small smile and her hair slowly.

"You should study harder, Zelo-ah. I will tell Jongup to not take you with him everytime he goes to his studio.", Seolhyun said flatly without glancing from her book.

"Andwae noona. I can't live without dance.", he whined and started pulling Seolhyun's hair.

"Then I will take your PSP."

"ANDWAE!!!"

"No skateboard for one month."

"NO!!! You can't take that. That was your very first gift for me after you won your first gold medal at Nation Physic Competition."

"No lunchbox for two months."

"NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

"Then..."

"Ok ok. I promise I'll work harder. But please don't take my dance time, skateboard, PSP and your hand-made lunch box. Please..", begged Zelo who was now folded his knee in front of Seolhyun and grabbed her free hand which didn't hold notebook.

"Nope. I can't believe you."

"How about a bet?"

Seolhyun's ears perked up hearing 'bet' word. There's only one answer if she bet something with Zelo. Victory. Because until know, she never loses a bet with Zelo. She slipped a bookmark and sit with crossed leg in front of still-kneeling Zelo.

"Call. What will you bet this time?"

"If I couldn't enter top 5 in my class, I will wear bikini, wig and make up. It's up to noona how you want to doll me up. And I'll dance at Hongdae open space with those outfit."

"Sounds interesting."

She tried to suppress her giggle when her head imagined Zelo danced with bikini. It has been long time since last time she worked her magic on dolling Zelo's face. 

"But if I could enter top 5, you have to be my date at amusement park. Then you have to kiss me  at the peak of ferris wheel and shout 'Choi Junhong, you're the best. Saranghae!' in front of merry-go-round."

Seolhyun was taken aback at Zelo's detail explanation. How could he speak that long only with one inhale of breath?

'Agree' word that she was going to say got caught in . It's impossible for Zelo to have that kind of detailed idea if that wasn't planned before.

"Wae? Not brave enough huh?"

Seolhyun narrowed her eyes hearing that her pride got teased. She crossed her hands in front of her chest and pouted.

"Who said that? Fine. I'm agree."

Zelo laughed hard looking at Seolhyun's pouting fce. He ruffled Seolhyun's hair and brought her head to his chest.

"Junhong-ah."

"Hmm?"

"Go home please."

"WAE???!!!""

"Because you still wear your uniform and YOU'RE STINKY!!!"

 


 

Seolhyun's calm breath made Zelo tightened his hug on Seolhyun's thin frame. Mixture of rose, strawberry and fressia from Seolhyun's scalp entered Zelo's nostril and a small smile formed on his lips.

"To be honest noona, I think I've really fallen for you. It seems like I've drowned and can't escape anymore." Seolhyun's hair muffled his grumbles.

"I swear I'll protect you from anything or anybody. No one will nor can hurt you. Wish that you could be more open-minded with me though. You don't know how much I hate your ugly sobs and bloodshot eyes. But it pains me more if you don't want to share your problems and act as if nothing happened. I know you're hurt so don't try to be strong in front of me. You have to smile more because smiles suit you better than tears."

As if Seolhyun could hear all of Zelo's talk, her lips let out a small gibberish mumble and snuggled closer to him. A chuckle escaped his lips and kissed her forehead lovingly. He looked at Seolhyun sleeping face that looked so pure, peaceful and calm despite her never ending burdens on her little shoulder.

"I love you noona."

He said that and buried his face in Seolhyun's hair. With his lovely possession in his embrace, he drifted off to sleep with Seolhyun's smiling face danced inside his head.

 


 

Author's note: So this is my official first chapter ^^ Do you like it? Do you enjoy it? Give me your thought and subscribe ^^