Cold Heat

Frosted Fire

 

The silent noise of the stirring water and the continous bubbles was the first sensation he felt as he opened his eyes. The blurry vision of the the cold room still vivid on his mind. He moved his hand and forcefully detached the small white wires attached on his body. The caging glass broke suddenly almost coincidentally releasing the trapped murky waters and his prisoned body. He shielded himself at the sudden touch of the cold spring breeze on his body. His eyes scanned the room. He found his name engraved on the bottom of his cage. XIUMIN  it reads. 
 

White. The white washed ceiling and the glaring light produced by the long white fluorescent tubes made Xiumin wince in pain. The soft matress beneath him was the only comfortable thing on the room. He gathered his energy to get up. He struggled with it as the deep wound near his ribs delivered pain throughout his whole body. A hand guided him as he placed his weight at the bedboard beneath him. He eyed at his helper. It was the same man who he encountered during his last commission, the telekinetic who was responsible for his disposition. He glared. The man simply blinked at his hostility. His gentle features showing a disturbed and confused expression. 

"I am Luhan" The man whose eyes resembles that of doe suddenly introduced as he offered a awkward smile. Xiumin stared at him cold and apathetic. "You are Xiumin, right?" He continued shrugging the obvious animosity. Xiumin scanned the room searching for any loopholes that may possibly lead to his escape. Luhan, his captor, seems to have noticed his activity as he chuckled. "This is the Headquarters of the Caster Police Force in Korea, it's impossible to escape" Xiumin stared at him in silence. He decided to not do anything of the moment. He was on the enemies base and it would be foolish to fight disadvantageous battle. "Would you care for something to eat or drink?" Xiumin simply stayed silent. He heard the protesting sound of his stomach and stared at the food on his detainer's hands. He pondered at his current option which was too scarce for his liking. He hadn't expected the sudden betrayal of his employee which brought him to the miserable state he was in. He had no pride. He took the food from the tray and lifted the cloth covering his face enough only for the food to get through and still cover his features. He eyed his guard who was practically gawking at him. Assured that no venom was mixed, Xiumin wolfed down the meal earning an amused chuckle for his guard. Leaving the food no leftovers, Xiumin placed the utensils properly back to the tray when the sound of the automated metal doors opened revealing two men who briskly entered the wide room. The other was a giant with serious and authoritative eyes while the other was a gentle-looking man of mediocre height. They both carry the aura that demands respect in contrasting ways. Their gaze was focused on the captive who returned the hard gaze with a venomous one. 

"I am Kris. Exo squad M leader. I am pretty sure you heard of it" Xiumin tilted his head. His eyes shows his confusion and unelightment of the matter which he concluded to be a common fact. Kris observed him carefully. "You haven't heard of it, then?" Xiumin nodded as an honest response. The jumbled thoughts inside his dysfunctional mind made his body reply automatically, he grimaced to himself. The three captors stared at each other passing silent signals with their mind. Glancing around the room one more time, Xiumin noticed the large glass above him which appeared to be the viewing room since eight figure was staring down at the situation. Ignoring his ignorance of the common name, his captors resumed their business. 

"I am Suho. Exo squad K leader." The other man named himself offering a professional gentle smile. Xiumin simply stared at them still without a single word escaping his mouth. "You are aware of the grave offense you commited yesterday night, right?" Suho started the interrogation. His gentle smile changed into a grim line. The other two simply watched the proceedings. He remained silent. A sighed escaped from the mouth of his investigator. "You are aware that your actions if not justified may lead to a lifetime imprisonment" He heavied the words of his investigator. He was nor informed of the heavy comeuppance of the comission. He was tricked into believing that it is a small scale burglary at a special wealthy subdivision of some sort. He cringed at his foolishess. He tugged at the sleeves of his investigator. An action which baffled them at the moment. Xiumin cannot speak. His voice was lost since the day he woke up on the abandoned establishment. Like his voice, the memories of his life before six months ago was also gone. He repeatedly pointed on his throat and shook his head as a signal of his impairment. 

"He seems to be mute" Luhan concluded after analyzing the actions of the imprisoned man. Kris stared Suho then to the figures above him. He nodded as a signal before a man with the most intimidating glare appeared with white smoke on his body which soon disappeared. "Prepare a writing tool. He is a mute" The smoke-man as Xiumin coined nodded before disappearing again leaving a white smoke in his presence. Xiumin observed them carefully. He concluded that it was the same team that he fought last night. He furrowed his brows as he tries to remember the faces of his opponents and connecting them to their cast. He frowned as he remembered only ten cast. It dawned to him that the last man was on the back ready for support like a medic. He deduced that the last cast should be a support type. He glanced at the towering Kris beside the telekinetic as he connected his face to flight cast. It was the same man who chased him during his escape and his interrogator to a water cast since it was the same features that fired the water bullet. The teleporter reappeared with a sketchbook and marker pen on hand then disappeared again after Xiumin took the materials from him. 

"Now, we can communicate, right?" Xiumin nodded boredly. His mind wandered to the possibility of him ever escaping the place. "First off we need to confirm your name. We are correct with it being Xiumin, am I right?" Again another nod. "What organization are you from?" Xiumin struggled in writting his answer. He just learned how to write three months ago. None was the answer. "Why did you trespass the citadel then?" Comission "From who?" Dunno. Suho massaged his temples. 

"From where?" Kris questioned. Xiumin stared at him before he once again started writing. The blackcream manor. The three of them exchange alert glances. "How?" Kris continued his interrogation. Mail "From who?" Someone called Sasaeng. Another quick glances to each other was exchange. "Describe this sasaeng who you met." I didn't meet him. There was only the money and the rough plan on the meeting place. "Where is this rough plan that you talk about?" I placed it to the mailbox as was ordered

"Jongin!" Suho, or so was his name, ordered to no one. Kris nodded at Suho. He continued the interrogation. "What is it about?" Burglary. "What was to be stolen?" A flame. Kris furrowed his brows at the puzzle. 

"Was it successful?" The first captor inquired. Xiumin shook his head. "Why?" Apparently it was not there "Do you know what that flame looks like?" Another shake on his head. Luhan sighed before Xiumin raised the pen on his chin then scribbled something on the sketchbook. Eternal Flame. That was what they call it. The teleporter once again appeared on his hands was ashes of what used to be a white tracing paper. 

"It was burning when I arrived. Only this portion here remains intact" The teleporter handed the ashes and remnants of the large paper into Kris's hand who meticulously checked it. The teleporter then disappeared yet again. "It seems to be true. I can vaguely recognize this as a piece of the citadel's blueprints" Kris stated as he handed it to Suho who carefully placed it into what appears a plastic bag. "D.O inform Sungmin-sunbaenim that he is needed here. Bacon, Derp, a copy of the citadel's blueprints. Kai and Rainbow to the datacenter to investigate this Sasaeng" Suho ordered to the figures above who scrambled as soon as they heard his words. He spared a smile to the observing Xiumin and left the room. Kris sighed. 

"Stay here until Sungmin-sunbaenim arrive. Chen monitor over there and assist Luhan if needed. Tao and Lay search for any clues about the Eternal flame" Kris ordered to the remaining figures staring above the room from the glass window. They soon disperse except for one who appears to be Chen. Luhan smiled at Xiumin. Kris left the room. Luhan stared at the captive and asked one more question "What about your comrade?" He scribbled. Reflection? That was his name Luhan stared at him confused. 
 

 

The glaring sidewalks of Korea became his abode. His job became thievery. It was needed for him to survive. The world was harsh for someone as ignorant as him. He taught himself to understand the vocabulary of others by observing. He taught himself reading their symbols by observing. He taught himself how to write by copying the symbols he observed. It was his surveillance that gave him knowledge. He did not regret his actions. It was needed for him to survive. Surviving was his priority. He did not think about the reason. He just have to survive. His guts tells him he needs to because there was someone waiting. As to whom, he never spared a thought. He know he won't remember else he won't be desperate and pathetic. The only thing he remembers is how to control his cast and how to fight. How to survive in the cruel dark side of the society, the underground. 

 

"An amnesia?" Kris and Suho roared synchronizedly. The rest of the member spared at the captive who seems to be relaxing under Luhan's watch. The news of his situation brought another dead end to their investigation. "Yes. His memories starts six months ago. Odd thing is that it is not a simple amnesia. He basically forgot everything. Manners. Language. Math. Anything. He relearned everything after observing the daily streets of Gangnam-do for a week without sleep and eat. Maybe it was his survival instinct on the kick but he is a very interesting man" Sungmin informed them of his findings after tampering with the imprisoned man's memories. Sungmin left the viewing deck and resumed his work pondering on the small information he kept for himself. He smiled guiltily at the distressed group he left behind the room. 

"What did you found out?" Kris turned towards his colleagues. Chanyeol and Baekhyun laid the large blueprint of the citadel and matched the small pieces of paper into the blueprint. "It is focused on the the special force quarters rather than the higher commisionaries." Chanyeol explained. Kris stared at the blueprint of their quarters in the citadel. Kai stepped up with Sehun. 
"The name Sasaeng is new, according to our agent, he appeared roughly two months ago and was active since then. The man is known to be secretive as only the rough plan and the intial payment were left on the meeting place as described by the captive. His comissions mainly is thievery of very weird records. First was an old book from the Korea National Archives, second an old scroll from the National Musuem, third is an ancient goblet from an underground auction, and lastly, the citadel." Sehun reported.

"Have those stolen items identified" Suho ordered as Kai and Sehun nodded. Sehun grabbed Kai's shoulder and disappeared along with teleported. "There was no data about the Eternal Flame. Kyuhyun-sunbaenim is still working on it" Tao reported making Kris grimace. Lay stared at them awkwardly. "Yes?" Kris asked taking Lay by surprise.
"I don't think it's useful but I heard of a legend where the name eternal flame was mentioned. I remember it was the story of the caster's beginning"

"About the great king who became insane and was saved by the nymph? Yeah we heard of it too" Chen dismissed making Lay huffed. 

"No! Not that version. The other one, the original one! The story of the first supremos!" Lay defended. Kris smiled satisfictorily for the day. "Good job, Lay!" He praised the confused comrade. Chen dashed out of the room and towards the library followed by Tao who hastily ran towards the datacenter. Lay simply gaped at them.

"How could we ever forget about that? The first cast. The symbol of the supremos!" Suho exclaimed. Baekhyun and Chanyeol rolled the blueprint back and placed it to its holder. "Kyungsoo wait for Jongin and Sehun's report. Chanyeol and Baekhyun, snoop for more information." 

"Lay go heal the captive. We might need him but tell Luhan not to lose him from his sight. Suho, it is time for the report"Kris ordered before leaving the room with Suho following behind him. 

The flutter of the curtains against the night breeze was light and enchanting. Xiumin entered the landed on the window pane as silent as possible. He stared at the sleeping figure of what appears to be the owner of the room. Nostalgia hit him as soon as he stepped on the room. It felt like he had seen it all before but he can't remember anything. There is a much more pressing matter at hand and it was carrying the assigned tasked. He approached the door when from the corner of his eyes he saw the body move and jump onto him which he dodged fairly well. He was lost in his opponent's eyes. It was so nostalgic that it made his heart ache. He didn't know why. 

 

 "You're under probation. We won't harm you but we won't free you."Kris announced. It was the order of the prime supremos. Xiumin scribbled onto his sketchbook. I'll stay here or to the prison cell? Xiumin had no idea of what a prison cell looked like. He only heard of it before. He hoped that it was something more comfortable than the stuffy atmosphere of the detention cell. Sungmin, who arrived much earlier than Kris, chuckled at his questions. "Neither. You shall be under Exo's surveillance and would be living in one of the rooms in our quarters. Luhan's eyes widened. "You are to be his guardian, Luhan" Kris stated while glancing at Luhan. 

"Don't worry, Luhan. I'll help you once in awhile. I need to check him up constantly" Luhan gratefully smiled at his sunbae. Xiumin scribbled something on the white paper. Do I have to work for my food and rent? The idea of probation was not really existent in Xiumin's mental vocabulary. Sungmin laughed at his question. Luhan chuckled. Kris sighed. Six months of self-taught knowledge would never teach you words like law, probation, court, and government. Kris noted that Xiumin was a special case thief. "I'll ask about that" Despite the lack of knowledge, Xiumin has displayed his excellence in martial arts and cast control. His also has a good amount of instinct and fast thinking brain so he may serve them more than what they expect of him. 
"By the way, you always wearing that?" Sungmin pointed to the black cloth covering Xiumin's facial features. I read somewhere that revealing someone's identity is foolishness for a thief. "So you've been wearing that?" Xiumin nodded. The more Luhan see him, the more childlike and innocent he became. "Where dis you get that anyway?" I made it. "You did? How?" I used my cast and frosted the cloth towards my body. That's why I can't take it off. Luhan noted. "There's no need for it now, right? You're not a thief anymore, anyways." Am not? "Well, higher percent goes to that factor. You escaped Exo last night so you must be skilled" Fighting and using my cast is the only thing I remember afterall. So I am getting a job here? "Probably" Fine. I'll take it off. The tight black cloth covering his body became like a silk as it slipped away from his face revealing his features. Luhan and Sungmin stared at him wide eyed. Sungmin closed his eyes while Luhan stood there frozen. Kris with his mouth open. Xiumin tilted his head at their expression. Am I really that unattractive? He mentally asked. The rest of the Exo arrived courtesy of Jongin. They came in with a confused annoyed expression which was suddenly replaced into pure stupefaction. It was Luhan who broke the silence as he whispered "Minseokkie" Xiumin felt a sharp pain in his chest at the name. He one again wrote something on the sketchbook. Who?

 

It was the lifeless body of Reflection, his doppleganging comrade, that alerted him of his fate. Observing the motionless and bloodless body lying on the rocky earth surface, Xiumin remained alert of his surroundings. Reflection died just like that. Nothing happened but he just died. The strong killing intents scattered in the woods had not escape his senses. His sharp ears caught the silent sound of the snipers as he easily dodged and froze the coming bullet. It was the dagger that he did not sense. It suddenly came out of nowhere. He dodged just in time to avoid having one of the critical parts of the body being his by the dangerous weapon. It landed on his sides instead. Just below the ribs and cuts him pretty deep. He took the knife off his body and escaped from the assassins. He met the telekinetic from last night. . He mentally cursed. Maybe he was the reason I am in this predicament.He speculated. The telekinetic powerfully lifted two trees and threw it over him. He dodged while staggering not noticing the incoming kick. He felt his vision leaving him. For some odd reason, dying in the hands of the telekinetic doesn't sound so bad for him. 





000000 

 

 

 

A/n: For clarifications here is the timeline;

Midnight; Xiumin's trespassing
A day after: Exo investigating Xiumin
After sunset: Luhan on a walk and  caught Xiumin
9:00- 11: 00 - this chapter's timeline. :D