Noticeable Absence

Frosted Fire

 

 

"SM Inst?" Kris raised a brow at the words of his childhood friend, Minseok, the latter with a calm and smiling face. "I know you wanna become a police because of your promise with that brat Sehun but SM Inst? Seriously?" Minseok glared at him. Kris knew of Minseok's part-time job at the hellhole he called government office and he doesn't like it one bit. His friend's kindness was something incomprehensible even for him who practically grew up with him. It's just too much that he often thought if he is actually friends with a saint. 

"Crude behavior, Yifan. Crude" Minseok stated slipping the white plastic straw into his lips and the cola so cutely. Kris rolled his eyes. Minseok chuckled lightly at the face his friend was displaying to the world. "Well it has nothing to do with Sehunnie, ya know" Kris chuckled as crumbles of the burger patties fell down making Minseok frown. Of the things Minseok dislike, mess and dirt was always on the top. Pushing his tray away, the older man grimaced at the messy table. "This is why I don't like fast foods!"

"I know" Kris chuckled once again earning a soft punch in his shoulder. Kris love dilly-dallying and just loitering around with his often busy friend that's why he literally kidnapped the older boy from the school. "Why you joining that stuffy place anyway?"Kris has always been a serious and cold youngster. His charisma showing with the slightest effort on his part while Minseok looks like a cute puppy walking next to the big bad wolf. The often misunderstood character of his would always disappear in front of Minseok and his cute and warm personality would appear. For Kris, Minseok has always been his stress reliever and hard to replace friend though hell would freeze over before his best friend would know he thinks like that. Minseok placed both of his elbows on the table to support his head atop his hands. The cute and small man grinned merrily "Well, of course, I am your bestfriend! Where you go, I go too!" He stated quite proudly. Kris stared at him like he was crazy. Him enrolling into the institution was decided since he was ten years old but this bestfriend of his threw his damn freedom to stick with him. Kris shook his head in surprise. "Don't worry too much about me, Duizhang" Minseok teased making Kris groaned. 
"Yah! Not that name!" Minseok cackled at the soft push he receive from the guy next to him. Kris hated that name and he don't know why since he found it cute and witty. Without anyone's knowing, Kris had his name changed into Yifan. "Seriously, dude! If the reason was purely me I can live by myself pure awesome self so no worries" Minseok released his laughter making some customers stare at them judgementally. "Yah! You got to fix that narcissistic character of yours!" Kris rolled his eyes. "Don't worry despite what it looks like I really am strong! I just wanna be with my bestfriend, can't I do that?" Minseok playfully blew a kiss on Kris direction who blocked the invisible smooch with his hand. He glared at the laughing Minseok. "Ah! Suit youself" He exclaimed with much frustration. 


 

"Kris-ge?" Tao opened the room of their leader. The cold and dazed body of their head staring into the empty space made him feel sorry. No one knows how Kris was suffering inside except his persistent chinese younger member, Tao, who as he explained was ordered by Kim Minseok to watch over their leader. During the whole year, Kris never cried in front of others at the news of his best friend situation. Only Tao did. The weak and silent sobs that echoed inside their leader's room was something he still every night. Kris was an awkward and often misunderstood man which earned him a bad reputation among the many in the police force but there was always Minseok who would clear everything for him and translating the meaning of his words into what it really meant. They are an inseparable tandem and much envied. Their friendship was something that the whole police force respected and idolized. The taller man stood up wiping the tear stains on his face. He was miserable as anyone. "Yes?" He asked sharp and professional. Tao knew how to handle Kris' and comforting him amicably would only appear as pity so it was a best to let him cry silently alone in his room and keeping it a secret from anyone. Apparently Kris' value his pride so much according to Minseok who taught Tao the Kris know-hows.

"Sehun has not yet returned" Tao said still standing near the door. Kris was really thankful for Minseok's Kris handling apprentice for the silent comfort.

"Shouldn't you be reporting this to Suho rather than me?"

"I did already but I just came to inform you too just in case" Kris nodded. Tao stood there still not moving an inch. The room was silent and awkward. The rising tension suffocating both of them yet neither yields to the temptation of breaking the heavy pressure inside the room. They stay stilled like that for a few more minutes before Kris' usual alarm clock rang. Tao simply smiled at the annoyed expression of their leader. "Would you like to eat breakfast with me, gege?" Kris sighed and nodded. There was no refusing Tao and that was what Minseok told him. He pulled all his strength to stand and drag his feet towards the bathroom for a quick shower making Tao giggle as he plopped on the soft light brown sofa inside the room waiting for Kris to get ready. 

 

"Yah! You got into a fight again!" Minseok thundered as he pressed the disinfectant into the wounds with less care. Kris hissed at his bestfriend. "You always do that, you're harder to tame than Sehun!" he exparatedly said making the youngest of the group poke Minseok's sides."Hey! I'm not a reckless brawl like Yifan-hyung!" Kris glared at the Sehun who equalled it out. Sehun and Kris were basically like cat and dogs vying for their owner's attention who was Minseok. They always were at each other's throat making Minseok really distress over it. Still they are also good friends beneath it all which Minseok knew. "I don't bleed that much" Minseok glared at the youngest who smirked. Sehun upon entering his middle school changed entirely in personality. He became cold and sarcastic and a really mischievous prankster who gets away with his I totally don't know look. Kris groaned as the stinging pain due to the disinfectant. "You fight like a sissy and relies too much on your cast!" Kris threw back making Sehun glare ice daggers at him. Minseok frustratedly smacked their heads at the same time. "I'll seriously handcuff you guys if you don't stop" Both men growled at the thought. "So what did happen?"They said you were pathetic and useless and was about to bully you so I beat the crap out them first and told them who's boss. Kris mentally groaned at the chessiness of his thoughts but Sehun understands. The both of them loves peace and silence more than anything but would totally threw it away for the sake of the the clueless and saint-like older brother they have. Minseok smiled at the both of them thankful for their secretive protection which was not so successful. The bullies would often flinch when is near them which was an obvious give away to their actions but violence was never the answer. "You'll be a leader, Kris so act like one" Minseok reproached with the serious face that forbids any argument against his word so the tall chinese lad simply nodded. "You'll be a good leader, I just know of it!" Minseok stated with that proud look in his eyes which makes Kris feel that he achieved something really good. "Of course, Sehun will also become a hero someday!" Sehun blushed as he said "Yah! Hyung, stop that!" The three of them cackled together. 
 

"Good morning, Kris" Luhan greeted as he entered the kitchen. Tao was making the breakfast in the kitchen. The rest of the team already finished. Kris was sipping his hot coffee brewed by Kyungsoo before he left for work. Kris simply nodded at the greeting. He eyed the trudging Xiumin behind Luhan's back cutely stretching his body with a huge yawn. Their gazes met. It was not the same gentle and proud look that met him instead it was a respectful and slightly fearful look that greeted him. Good Morning, Kris-ssi. Kris eyed the words as he mentally reminded himself of their current standings. Strangers. It was ironic how his childhood friend became a stranger. The usual endearment lost into only fate knows till when. I must get use to it. He was convincing himself with futile effort. It was not easy to do but he must. He must get use tot the current ways of the thing until Minseok returns. He exhaled a sigh. At least the chance of him returning was now larger rather than before. The two casters who just walked in cautiously pulled their seats and waited for the food. Tao did pretty well. The bacon and egg were really cooked to perfection. They ate peacefully. "Yummy!" Luhan praised making Tao proud at himself. It is really good. 
"Of couse it is! Kyung-ge and Minseok-ge taught me" Luhan sank on his seat while Kris continued eating silently. Tao looked at them awkwardly guilty at his mouth. Who is Minseok? I often hear of his name. The three Exo stared at the sketchpad silently. "A very important friend. Thanks for the meal. Eat up and don't be late to work" Kris stood up before he left the room in brisk steps. Luhan chuckled bitterly while watching the disappearing figure of their leader. Where is he? "On a vacation" Luhan smiled weakly as he answered the curious criminal-turned-guest's question. A smile appeared Xiumin's face, the same innocent and saint-like smile that he often wear. He must be so wonderful of a person since you all love him. Luhan choked his tears while Tao smiled at the words on the sketchpad bitterly pain tugging at his heart. 

"Yes, he is. Minseok-gege is a very woderful person" Tao answered while Luhan melanchonically smiled at the younger chinese man's honest answer. Xiumin just smiled warmly at the both of them. I think I'll love meeting him. Luhan and Tao faced him with a smile he didn't quite understand.

 

"Congrats for becoming Exo's leader Lord Duizhang!" Minseok merrily congratulated with the bored Sehun. Kris and Sehun learned to share the skipping Minseok. Exo is the new special police force created by Prime supremos himself earning them heavy expectations and unbearable pressure to excellent results. The team though considered as one force is divided into operational units, Melekh and Kaiser. Kris was awarded the honor to become Melekh's leader and to be on  the same squad as the over achieving and top grades record holder, Minseok. Sehun grimaced at the fact that  they are in different squad. Glaring at Minseok for the name, Kris nodded at the two approaching friends. "You're crazy!" Kris stated making Minseok stuck his tongue out.

"We'll be in a team together" Minseok clapped making Sehun smirk and Kris grin. Among the tall men towering over the happy older man, Minseok appears more and more like a child. "You better not pull my down" Minseok puched Kris' stomach softly earning a grunt from the chinese man. "You should not be saying that to me, you silly man!" Kris chuckled at the eternal child at heart friend of his. Sehun shook his head in a your-both-so-cheesy-I-swear manner. Minseok pulled them into a hug making both of the man sighed at the sudden display of affection. "We'll be friends forever!" He assured at the younger men. Kris and Sehun smiled at his words. "Of course, you overly grown baby!" Kris laughed softly. It was their promise to be friends no matter what happen. Kris smiled at the invisible v.i.p ticket to Minseok's heart in his hand. He was really lucky to have a really good friend. 

 

There was the monitor screens to track him of the events inside the medical room. Xiumin, formerly Kim Minseok, lay into the white scanning machine with a doubtful look. Luhan at his side assuring him it is alright. Ryeowook ordered for a CT scan at their mercenary and here they are in the medical department waiting for the scan to commence. "Kris-ssi, you look awfully haggard" Yesung stated with his back on the man and eyes on the monitor professionally observing the events inside the other room and the monitors showing medical information. Kris spared a sigh. "I am alright, sunbaenim, just a little tired from the lack of sleep" He answered. Haggard was an understatement for his condition he looks really awful as of the moment. Yesung nodded silently respecting the Chinese giant's want to keep his feelings shut. Suho entered the room with a lethargic face. He was also having a hard time comforting his team and fixing it. Exo was still efficient and on the peak but to the police force they are working to fix themselves for they are broken. As much as their sunbaes want to comfort them is how much the reason they musn't or i'll all feel superficial and put the youngest force into an wasted state. "Sehun arrived?" Suho nodded massaging his temples. 

"Yes. Wounded. He investigated the black market by himself. Traced everything regarding Minse- I mean Xiumin's situation. He found a lot really but he looks thrashed" Kris nodded at the report. He knows how Sehun treasured and practically worshipped Minseok so devotedly. Sehun was one of the people Minseok's kindness saved. Kris would have done the job if he was not a leader. Yes, if only he wasn't but he was. He never regretted the position till now. He was helpless at the sudden joke fate played on them. "I see. Let him rest for the day. He'll probably recover later on. As long as he is able to work" Kris' words appeared as cold and indifferent but Suho knew that Kris was struggling inside torn between friendship and duty. He chose the latter. They cannot blame him, his memories were full of Minseok's proud look glorifying his position. Their loving hyung was way too naive and kind that even now the memories replays vividly on their minds. It was as cruel as it was kind. Yesung let out a soft sighed at the young leaders conversation. The youngsters are way too inexperience for this kind of pain. SJ knew that kind of depressing feeling clawing in one's heart one that makes misery more miserable  after their former member Hangeng passed away and Kibum in coma state. He knew that comforting them with words and advice would be useless. 

"The test has just finished" Yesung announced with his eyes fixated on the monitor screen. They stared at the meek Xiumin smiling at Luhan who returned his smile. Yesung wondered what hurts more, to have a friend die or to have them believe that a friend died but haven't with the consequences of having his memories erased. Minseok and Luhan joined the room making Suho smile at them. Xiumin was more like a innocent and naive child than a scheming mercenary he is. Kris heart was pained at the smile. It was his best friend's smile but it wasn't. We're back. The man sniggered silently with his voice not coming out. Kris smiled at him geniunely for the first time he arrived. For Xiumin and not for Minseok. "If you pass the medical test you'll be working with us, Xiumin-ssi. You'll temporarily replace on of our member's whose away as of the moment. I believe you can do it" Kris announced. It was the orders that arrived. His smile not leaving the place. Really? I get to work with all of you? Suho and Luhan chuckled at his childishness. How can he so much be like Minseok and so much different from him? Kris smiled faltered but he stared at their new member's eyes and said the words that made his heart tremble more than anything. "Welcome, Xiumin-ssi" He cursed fate's cruelty for taking two precious words from the statement. It was not supposed to be that way. Welcome back home was what he prayed not just a welcome. He tightened his grip on the documents on his hand. The words became more important than it was before. Luhan and Suho stared at Kris knowingly as a tear escaped his eyes. No one has seen Kris cry before and it will remain that way. Yesung sighed.

 

"Yifan-hyung! Minseokie-hyung has" Sehun reported between his loud sobs. He stood frozen, his face aghast. Kris hadn't known horror until the word left Sehun's quivering mouth "gone missing". The traces of satisfaction and joy left his being entirely, the bliss of driving their mortal enemy to extinction left entirely. He stood there silently, his feet frozen to the ground. It can't be. He glanced around the room expecting for Minseok to appear and say "Tadah! Fooled you!" and Sehun to laugh after than praising that he was an acting genius like what Byun Baekhyun did one time but there was no one. There was only silence. Slowly, the members arrived injured and haggard. Color leaving their faces at the news of Minseok's absence. Silence passes their threshold for thirty minutes before Luhan's bitter laugh echoed thoroughout the room. Kris was unable to move, his world was spinning. His throat was dry and his body sweaty. His heart was pounded by heavy hammers as his stomach begin to clutch. He badly wants to cry and release it all but the memories he has of Minseok made him unable to. He laughed bitterly at the melancholy. It was cruel, too cruel. How can he leave without a goodbye with the last memory of him with ketchup on his face encouraging the whole team that they can do it. It must be a joke. It must be. But it wasn't and that was the reality. Cries enveloped the room but he was silent. "If I had only him convinced more forcefully this wouldn't happen" He whispered. If only's were running haywire on his brain. He never wanted to change anything in his life until this tragedy. Now he only want's time to rewind and change everything even if it lesser memories with Minseok. He cared not for it anymore. What can memories do him when the man himself is gone? Too unreachable for his liking. He chuckled so bitterly at the cruelty of it all.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

00000000

 

 

[a/n: err, my exam week is coming up so I may be unable to update the story as fast as I normally would but just hang on everyone. I'll update as soon as doom's week is over. Thanks for the growing love and praises you are showing on my story. I'll promise I'll do much better. Now that's redundant.Anyways, God bless and good day everyone!]