Hopeful despair

Frosted Fire

"Baekhyunnie, there's no need for you to rely on your make up your beautiful already" Minseok's words gave confidence to the self-hating Baekhyun who was applying eyeliner on his eyes. Minseok closely observe the process as if it was some kind of interesting ritual. Baekhyun smiled at the senior and said "Are you saying that to comfort me, hyung?" Minseok shook his head before a warm smile appeared as he replied "You're really really beautiful Baekie, inside and out"

 

Chanyeol sat in silence under the scrutinizing and inquiring gazes of Baekhyun and Kris. Baekhyun had noticed the unusual behavior of his boyfriend for days now and how he slip off the bed last night. It was Baekhyun's sharp intuition that made him call Kris over because their squad leader is still recovering from his injuries. Kyungsoo, Jongin, Jongdae, Yi xing, Sehun, and Tao arrived on the room. Chanyeol stared at the forming group inside the room. There was a tense silence and overwhelming seriousness engulfing them. Luhan arrived last. Baekhyun closed his eyes releasing a long sigh he was holding in his chest and opened it with a strong tell-us-what-happened look directed to his lover. Chanyeol made no signs of betraying his tight silence. 

"What's happening?" Luhan asked the question the other clueless members had in their mind. It is seldom that the group are forced to gather without the proper authority from the supremos. They all stared at the silent giant shifting uncomfortably under Baekhyun strong glares and Kris sighing persona. Luhan scanned the room and found someone missing. "Where's Xiumin? Is he still sleeping?"

"He's gone. He left." Baekhyun answered making the team widen their eyes while Kris release another sigh. Baekhyun was not in his happy mood, he was far from it. He wants all the answers now and he is going to hear it. Luhan eyed Jongin who quickly teleported to Minseok's room and back to the common room of the manor.

"It's true. The room is empty even his things were gone" Jongin reported as soon as he appeared on the room. Luhan eyed Baekhyun who pointed at the silent Chanyeol.

"What's the meaning of this?" Luhan screamed making Chanyeol flinch at the sound. Chanyeol had expected this reaction but he did not calculate it to be this soon. He must stay silent and buy enough time for the currently escaping primos. He knew he won't hold out much further. Sehun fetch those papers and investigated along with him. He would guess it if Baekhyun open his mouth and tell them what happen. Chanyeol sighed. Luhan grabbed his shoulders and Chanyeol let him. There was horror and panic all over his eyes, Chanyeol winced. "Chanyeol-ah, what happened? Where's Xiumin?"

"Primos" Baekhyun hissed as he was on the edge of snapping. He may appear like he had little concern over the matters but Baekhyun was one of the members who practically grew up with Minseok. Unlike Sehun who was raised by the absent man and Kris who grew up with Minseok, Baekhyun was Minseok first apprentice. "Apparently, Minseok-hyung has woken up and shared the same body with Xiumin-hyung" Luhan gaped at the information. 

"Minseok is back?" Shock spread like wildfire inside the room as Luhan felt everything spinning. Yi xing supported Luhan for balance. Kyungsoo quickly goes to the kitchen for some water. Sehun glared at Chanyeol. Chanyeol sighed. Sehun knows. 

"When did you figure it out?" Sehun's voice was deep and poisonous. There was rage and betrayal. Chanyeol shivered. Among the team Sehun was the one he is most afraid of, the wind caster has powerful control over his cast and a powerful volume of cast to match. He can't win with the maknae in any cast fight. "Answer me"

"Two days ago" Chanyel broke his silence. "Two days ago, I connected the dots. The eternal flame, frost cast, nullifying cast, Xiumin-hyung, Minseok-hyung, and supremos. The last piece to the puzzle was the paper retrieved by Suho-ssi. I'm sure Suho knew about it too"

"WHAT IS IT ABOUT?" Yi xing impatiently shouted. It was his frist time snapping. Yi xing was always calm and silent and they didn't expect him to snap. There was silence. "Please save us the worry and speak it out"

"Minseok-hyung is the future supremos." Sehun summarized. Stares of disbelief exchange the room. "Primos, apparently he was called. He can only live until the current supremos has enough power but our supremos' cast has been declining. It was time for a take over. Xiumin-hyung and Minseok-hyung are personalities born along with their cast. Its that way" Sehun explained easily leaving important details. It would have worked if not for the sharp Baekhyun asking the question that Chanyeol and Sehun dreaded to answer "What would happen to them?" 

"They'll be the fire that keeps Exoplanet going. There life and cast would be frozen and hidden in a machine that rules over the Exoplanet. Watching how everything goes and assisting the world with their genetically strong cast." Suho answered arriving at the room while dragging his weak feet and as Sehun and Chanyeol looked away. Luhan grabbed Chanyeol's collar and wailed "You let him go despite knowing it all?" Tears escaped Luhan's eyes. "Why, Yeollie?"

"Because they told me that it is so" Chanyeol broke down. Tears flow freely in his face as he released all the heavy feeling in his heart. "I tried to stop them. Told them to stay, that they were cruel. They won't listen, it is their fate they say" Luhan released his grip and sobbed before Baekhyun made his way to his lover's side and encaged him with a hug. Comforting the giant with his soothing words. The team stayed silent. They are lost at what to do.

"There are times that you need to work with intuition rather than the things that you see because the answer is nearer than what you have expected" Minseok stated as Baekhyun laid on the floor panting at the training regime Minseok established. 

"Then we don't need tactics, hyung" Minseok chuckled as Baekhyun sat up. 

"That's not how it works, Baekie. Intuition and tactics come together. When you feel like something is not sitting right with you then think of things that makes it right, plan two, three or four steps ahead, that way it'll be impossible to surprise you"

"So I can't escape tactical lessons?"

"Yes, you can't" Minseok laughed at the young Baekhyun pouting at his answer. 

It feels like they are in a loop of things. The team were back at the slumps. Luhan and Kris busied themselves with researching ways to save Minseok and Xiumin with Chanyeol and Sehun's help. They can't approach any team in the headquarters as it concerns the state secrets, one concerning the way they are governed. Lay, Tao and Jongin were out searching for Minseok's whereabouts. Chen, Kyungsoo, Suho, and Baekhyun were in the room of written records digging to the past as much as they could. The team was desperately finding little hope in saving their hyungs. Baekhyun still feel odd referring to Minseok and Xiumin as they. 

"Suho-ssi, what's that necklace?" Kyungsoo asked as he eyed the necklaced hanging on Suho's necklace. 

"I found it on the laboratory where Xiumin first woke up" Baekhyun examined the necklaced Suho placed on the table. The pendant oddly reminds him much of Xiumin's cast. Frost. There was something that clicked inside his mind and he quickly scanned the books he read moments ago. The three other Exo members stared at his actions. His eyes landed on the same symbol drawn on the page. He smiled bitterly as he scanned it with his eyes. 

"So what shall we do?" Kyungsoo asked as he scanned the book with a grim expression. 

"That's not the question. Who shall we choose?" Suho asked making the room grew silent once again.

"You need to quickly decide because a moment of hesitation is crucial. That only applies on the front lines, Baek. In times that you're in a dilemma and the choices are not something you want. You need to forcefully create one yourself, a choice that you want." Minseok grinned as he caught Baekhyun and disarmed him immediately. They were training for the upcoming team battle and Minseok, Kris, and Luhan were alone on the opposing team but they have not once won over the three. "Quick, precise, and ingenious. That's how you should think"

"You make it sound easy" Baekhyun huffed as he dust his training pants off. Minseok chuckled. 

"Because it is. You have good intuition and good head on your shoulder, you're Byun Baekhyun. Be the man that makes impossible  possible"

Baekhyun called Luhan over and here they are sitting across each other on the hubblescope alone. The rest of the team were still busy. Luhan eyed Baekhyun whose expression was grim set. His eyes covered with thick black lines courtesy of the eye lining skills Baekhyun possess. 

"There is a way, hyung" Baekhyun started making Luhan alert. It is seldom that the younger man call him at the hubblescope alone. "A way to save Minseok-hyung or Xiumin-hyung"

"Then--" Luhan smiled but Baekhyun was still cold. 

"But you choose. Xiumin or Minseok. You got to choose" Luhan became silent. There was no way he can choose someone out of the two. Minseok and Xiumin for him was one and the same and he love them both. Luhan can't let one go. "There's no other way, hyung" Luhan chuckled as despair set inside his heart once again. 

"I didn't think I'll hear those words from you, Baek. Afterall, aren't you suppose to be the man who makes impossible possible?" Baekhyun winced. The two choices was something that does not sit right with him and according to Minseok's teachings, he should deny both choices and make his own. But, he don't how to do it. He don't know how to make this impossibility possible. He clenched his fist for his weakness. Why did he have to useless now? He stood up trying to stand strong. "I'll give you time to think, hyung" Baekhyun left Luhan who punched the table in rage with guilt on his heart. "There should be something that can make this impossible possible, right hyung?" Baekhyun whispered as he walked towards the written record section and buried himself inside the books. If memorizing the whole records inside the room is what it needs to save both his hyung then he'll do so. Baekhyun clings on the last hope he had. 

"When time comes Baekie, I'll be gone. You're on yourself, don't think that you can't do it. Think that you can achieve it. Let it be my legacy. Make me proud" It was Minseok's last words to Baekhyun as an apprentice before they knew that they are assigned in a single police unit. Baekhyun noted the different air around Minseok. Baekhyun simply smile at his teacher reply "Of course I will make you proud, hyung. I am Byun Baekhyun, the man who makes impossible possible" Minseok chuckled as he ruffled Baekhyun's hair. "You better be"