Absent Presence

Frosted Fire

 

"Sehun-ah! Do it!" Sehun shook his head his perfect monotonic expression faltering. He shook his head tears staining his beautiful face. He can't when he must. He never cursed his cast till now. His powerful typhoon can end the silent war and bring justice and it was supposed to his priority. Yet, he stood there hesitating staring at the predicament of their oldest member. He will die. His thoughts screamed. He was shaking as he called his cast still hesitant despite the urgency of the matter. "DO IT!" The sharp voiced thundered. He had no choice left. Not a single option.It is for the good. He convinced himself over and over again as he released the powerful cast he was holding back. Tears blurred his vision but the painful scream from the foe called his attention. His eyes fixated on the battered body of his hyung. The gentle nullifier who gave him hope when he had forgotten all. His heart ached with grief as he wince in pain. He rushed to his side. Thank God! His felicity was undescribable and as soon as it surfaced the felicity died into utter despair. The enemy grabbed Minseok's body and dragged him near the cliff laughing vehemently. "I shall not go down alone!" The diabolic laughter made Sehun shiver. He froze yet again. It was weak voice of his loving eldest brother that woke him "It's okay, Sehunnie! You're a hero now" The calm and smiling expression of the oldest Exo as he accept his fate was vivid in his mind. He broke into a fit of sobs. He finally became a hero like he always dreamed of but he was not happy. "HYUNG!" He shouted with all the voice contained in his beaten body. He cursed it all. You said we'll become hero together. 

 

Sehun stared at the written word on the sketchpad guilt crawling to his skin like an army of small ants. He knew it was an logical decision but this past year he felt the guilty conscience eating him. He was gawking at the familiar sight of his hyung, the same facial fearures that haunts his dreams. "Hyung" He silently whispered. His emotionless face painted with shock. "Minseokie-hyung" he called voice echoing softly at the silent atmosphere. Sungmin stared at the expression plastered on the team's faces. Their surpise, nostalgia, relief, sorrow, helplessness, and guilt visibly written on their young features. Trailing his eyes back to the cluless prisoner, he let out a soft silent sigh escaped his lips. The hero of this millenia, he inwardly smiled bitterly at the name. They're just a bunch of kids. He thought to himself.
It was Kris who broke the uncomfortable silence that ate them all. He was a leader and he must act like one. It was what the former Minseok told him. "Luhan-ssi, Xiumin-ssi to his room. I believe you would want him to be at that certain room" Kris ordered. Luhan nodded still shock. Kris has never adressed anybody in the team formally except for occasions where his mind is going haywire and the team knows of it. Despite Squad M leader's cold facade, they are aware of his warm heart who adoringly dotes on his dongsaengs and his two childish hyung's. He was the father figure of the group. 

"Sehun, you can accompany Luhan" Suho ordered. The maknae simply nodded without peeling his gaze to the written word on the sketchpad. Suho blinked his eyes detaching the wild thoughts running wild in his head and the complex emotion eating his heart. It was futile. The confusion,joy, and shock seems to have blended way to well that he was unable to think. Sehun gathered all that he could to overcome the shock taking a shaking step forward and producing the best comfortable expression he can manage. "Hyung, My name is Oh Sehun. I am Exo's maknae and a Squad K member" He introduced gripping the sides of his shirts tightly struggling to break down in tears yet again. He was just happy, his hyung was alive but he felt it was his fault that he became like that. He became what he hate to become the most, a criminal. Hello to you Sehunnie-ah. Sehun chuckled at the nostalgia. Wait! How did you even know I was older? The cute expressions he have before hasn't disappeared. The rest of the members chuckled at him adoringly except Kris who simply offered him a soft gaze. "I just know" Xiumin tilted his head like a kid. It was too much for even him, even for Oh Sehun. 

 

"Its a lie right, Sehunnie? Minseok is hiding in your back , right?" The hysterical denials of their telekinetic stabbed Sehun's heart with an invisible blade. He stared at the fragile  weeping figure of the now oldest hyung unable to speak a word. He would like to deny it too that all of this was just a joke and that his cute Minseok hyung would walked in any minute with a smile even though with bandages on his body and say 'Tadah!' like he usually do when he is hurt. He could only answer at his pleads with a tear escaping his eyes. "Minseokie! Minseokie!" He felt the continuous imaginary swords cruelly skewering his heart at the sound of his elder hyung's cries. "Please say it is a lie! Please, Sehunnie! Please! He promised me we would go see a movie tomorrow! You know he won't break a promise with me! He wont! Baozi wont!" Sehun wanted to take that breaking form into an comforting embrace but he cant, his feet was stoned on the ground afraid that if he would he'll break along with him. 

 

"A seal, you say?" Kris was impatient and irritated. He was annoyed that he forgot he was talking to his senior. The usual cool and rational character peeled off his face. He was a ticking time-bomb right now. The whole team still silent. Exo is a group known for their random and comic behavior and never the quiet and gloomy Exo they are right now. Sungmin stared at Kyuhyun who was patting his back for comfort. The dim-lighted Hubblescope contained the unvoiced emotions of the eleven young heroes. They left Xiumin in Ryeowook's medical department to scan his body for anything suspicious. 

"As I was inside Xiumin's mind" the group winced at the name. Sungmin noted still comforted by the datacenter head Kyuhyun. "There was this strongly locked door inside his deeper conciousness that I found. I assume it to is his old memories." 
"Can't you break it?" Luhan asked with his weak and hopeful voice. Sungmin eyed the oldest Chinese member of Exo whose eyes shows a little spark of hope which soon died down when he shook his head. Luhan's love towards Minseok was not a secret to the headquarters. It was obvious from the way he stare at Minseok to the way he acts when Minseok is around. "There was an absolute force that denies my cast over it"

"Nullification." Kyungsoo stated. Kyuhyun eyed the small earth caster as he stared at them with a serious blank expression he seldom wear. Kyungsoo often wears a blank expression in front of them but it has that adorable cute charm and not the greiving aura he is exuding. Sungmin nodded at his statement. "I assume so too"
"It is about that matter that I am not understanding" Chanyeol murmured loud enough for us to hear while spinning a pen on his hand. "Can someone have two cast and not know about it?"

"According to the current genetic science, having two rare cast is possible but not knowing the existence of both is unheard of. You know how cast manifest itself the day a caster is born so an undetectable cast is unheard of" Kyuhyun explained recalling the data he had received inside the Virtual world.

"Apparently there was one record of it happening" TVXQ's Yunho interfered as if he and his partner were there since the beginning. Exo did not bother to stand and greet their seniors. The situation was not in the mood for it. The two new arrived guest stared at the lethargic faces of the heros of the millenia. "You guys looks like right now" Changmin released a sighed at his partner's words. "Yunho, the report" He reproached. TVXQ was the special Covert Corps and our usually out in the field snooping for information and spying around the world. They are seldom seen in the headquarter and when they are it means it was supremos orders. "I don't know how supremos predicted this outcome as we received the order exactly an hour after Exo's report to him so don't throw me those curious glances." Yunho exasparatedly declared. 
"According to a records, nullification cast and frost cast are both S class in itself and both having it appear on a certain caster has never occured but not nullification with other cast. Apparently, nullificiation cancels even the cast within one self too thus resulting to the hidden state of the other cast. The other cast would only surface if the caster has fully mastered his nullification cast"

"We know that Minseokie-hyung was the master of cast control" Baekhyun stated with a matter of fact tone making Yunho glared at Baekhyun for his interference one which he so much loathed. 

"I was getting to that fact, thank you" He dismissed the younger man with a sarcastic tone earning a yet again sighed from his partner who was frustrated for his childishness. "Minseokkie was unaware of his other cast because it was hidden under nullification we established that already, right? To let the hidden cast to appear, the nullification cast must be in an non-existent state which has a very slim chance of happening for a normal caster" Kris furrowed his brows at the laid out information. He was never distraught than this moment. 

 

A six years old Sehun was bawling his eyes out with tears. It happened yet again his cast has gone haywire and called forth a strong typhoon which was not dying any minute. He was unable to control his cast that's why he was secluded inside the white room and alone. He wailed loudly. The winds becoming stronger making the sirens sound of yet again. A ten years old small and chubby Minseok entered the room with a smile as he walked calmly towards him "Why are you crying?" He asked with a cute comforting grin on his face. "Maybe Minseokie-hyung could help you" Sehun pointed at the sirens. "The uncles and aunties are going to get mad at Sehunnie again" Minseok pulled him into a cuddle trying to ease the crying from the young caster. "Why would they get mad?" Sehun was sobbing at the stranger's chest slowly calming down. "Sehunnie can't control my cast. Sehunnie is an idiot" Minseok chuckled as he patted Sehun's back and suddenly the wind was gone. "See Sehunnie can do it! Sehunnie controlled his cast!" Minseok rejoiced cheering the young boy who stared at the now silent room. "Sehunnie did it!" He grinned as he stared at the older's face. "Is it because hyung was here?" Minseok smiled warmly at his new younger brother and nodded. "Hyung staying with Sehunnie to control Sehunnie's cast?" Minseok pinched Sehun's cheeks said "Of course! Minseokie-hyung will be at Sehunnie's side until Sehunnie can control his cast." Sehun tilted his head cutely blinking his tears away. "Really?" he asked as he hiccuped. 

"Really. Minseokie-hyung promise to stay at Sehunnie's side"

 

"This is your room" Luhan stated holding back the tears in his eyes. Sehun was on the door watching the scene inside the room. Isn't this your room? Luhan shook his head. It was Minseok's old room. The same room he trespassed. But aren't you sleeping here?

"It's you room don't worry" Are you okay? Luhan's tears trickled down his face as he read the written sentence. Minseok patted his back to comfort him. It did not dawn to him why he is doing it nor why his animosity easily dissolve, he did not want to think about it. Minseok had this comfortable feeling around his former enemies. He blindly trusted the group which was unlike his calculating self. It was his gut feeling on the sense again and he knew better than go against it. He felt a pair of arms embracing him tightly. It was warm and nostalgic. The drowned sobs in his shoulders made his heartache. It was a feeling he was not accustomed. Taking a seat at the bed, Minseok eyed the puffy eyed captor of his still mumbling incoherent words like I'm sorry and Don't leave. He comforted the lonely boy unknowingly by continuously running his hand in an up-down motion in the back of the chinese boy. They stayed at that position for a while before they both drifted to sleep. 
Sehun's heart ached at the scene. His tears threatening to fall. "Please forgive me, Minseokie-hyung" He whispered to the air. His heart was crumpled. He let out a comforting cooling wind to blow towards the couple's direction. Sehun eyed the cuddling couple as he filled his air with hopes of a better future. With determined eyes, he left the couple on their sweet slumber and left to only he knows where.

 

"Police?" Minseok asked at the young boy who nodded cutely at him. "Why?" 

"Sehunnie wanna become a hero!" The seven years old boy stated. making Minseok blinked and chuckle. "So Sehunnie wanna became a hero? But being a hero is hard" Sehun stared at him blinking. "You need to control the cast and practice more" Sehunnie pouted at the word practice before tilting his head to think. "Minseokie-hyung would not leave Sehunnie, ne?" Minseok smiled at the sly question Sehun threw at him. "Of couse, Minseokkie-hyung promised afterall but relying on Minseokie-hyung would  not make Sehunnie a hero" Sehun frown pondering at Minseok's words. Minseok chuckled at the cuteness of his baby dongsaeng. "Sehunnie will practice! Sehunnie wanna become a hero and save Minseokie-hyung from the bad man! Sehunnie gonna protect Minseokie-hyung!"Minseok stared at Sehun shocked at the child's declaration. He laughed his words feeling warm and grateful. Sehun hugged his older brother. "Sehunnie loves Minseokie-hyung a lot!"
"Then hyung will be a hero too!" Sehun brightened at the statement. His smile reached his ear. "Really?"

"Really" Minseok chuckled in confirmation. "Pinky promise?" Sehun stuck his pinky which Minseok intertwined on his own. "Pinky promise"
"Yay! Minseokie-hyung and Sehunnie will become heroes together and beat bad guys!" Sehun cheered while Minseok laughed at the young kid who started danging so cheerfully.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

00000000000