Tragically Festive

Frosted Fire

 

"Don't say stupid things like you're not fit for the job. You are! And, I'm not hearing any buts"

 

Suho's eyes were fixed at the documents in his hands, scanning the file for the thirteenth time, with a blank worried expression plastered on his face. It was an odd sight for anyone to see Exo squad K's leader look so taken aback and lose his comosure. Suho was the type to immediately the control of his emotion no matter what happens. He was trained to become a logical and rational leader who would work accordingly depending on situations at hand. Tossing the files into his table, Suho massaged his temples to soothe the headache.

"How could I let Kris see this?" He muttered softly to no one. Suho was not the type to work overtime, he has the habit of finishing his job on time. Normally, he would have already been at the Exo's manor at the citadel and making sure that the team is doing well. It was a part of his job but not today. He was not even sure if he can stare at 's faces without a grim and guilty smile on his face. It was the first time Suho felt the extreme doubt in his self when it comes to masking his emotions. He was not confident, not after he read the documents. Running a cold and shaking hand on his hair, Suho let out a sigh for the hundred time the entire day. He was trapped in his office with the strong smell of expresso and the half finished work on his table. The silent hallways of the headquarters making him feel safe. "Xiumin and Minseok, huh?" Suho closed his eyes to feel the strong cold breeze of the ac hitting his bare flesh, not minding the cold chills. His mind was uncooperative as he can't do his work properly. It was the sound of his office door slowly opening that disrupt the chaotic situation inside his brains.

"Suho-ssi" Suho immediately pulled his best smile, his poker smile, to greet their oldest member, Xiumin. Suho inspected the cute elder member as he shyly entered his office. "Kyungsoo said to deliver this" Xiumin placed the lunchbox Kyungsoo packed for their leader in his table while smiling merrily. Suho stared at the smile, there was a wave of relief and pity washing over him.

"Thank you, Xiumin-hyung. Call me Suho, freely" Xiumin blinked at the young leader and smiled warmly. Xiumin was adapting fast on being a mercenary on hire member of the police force, Exo. Oddly, Xiumin felt more satisfied at his job being a police mercenary rather than being a free underground mercenary. The team is quite cozy and familiar. Reasons unknown, there was this stirring feeling that tells Xiumin there was something wrong with the squad leader. It was a unique feeling that made him sure that his smile was faux. 

"Is there something wrong, Suho?" Suho stared at his senior. As soon as their eyes met Suho recalled every written words on the document. The document that made him uneasy. There was pity, guilt, and anger rushing in his veins. It was unstoppable. Xiumin must have felt the slight tremor in his heart as he walked over him and pulled him in a comforting hug. It was the same hug Minseok offers when he don't know what to do. For Suho, Xiumin was more than a member. He had an absolute trust and respect for  the mercenary. He knew Xiumin was Minseok but entirely different. They were one but unique. Minseok was his mentor and an existence that can be said as his second parent. A reliable hyung that always sees through his smiling mask. Xiumin was the same.

"Hyung, I am sorry" Suho has never shown his weakness before, his fragile nature. There were moments when he would have mental breakdown but he recovers easily. It was an ability that made him doubt of his humane side.

"I don't know what for but it's alright now" Suho smiled at Xiumin's words. Minseok was Xiumin but Xiumin was not Minseok. The comedic situation brought him to tears.

"I am really sorry, hyung"

"Now, now" Xiumin's hold was tighter and warmer. It was like how a mother comforts her depressed child. "It's alright" Minseok was always loving and perfect. Always there to take care of them, to guide and help them, to train and correct them, Minseok in a sense is their guardian. Suho knows of what'll happen in the future, he knew of the plans of the enemy but he can't make a move. It was a checkmate. He can only wait and that's what is hurting him. He can only pray that they can survive the coming of the calamity. 

"Hello, I am Kim Minseok and I'll be your senior guide" Minseok's chubby cheeks made Joonmyeon wonder if the man in front of him was really older than him. He flashed one of his trademark business smile, a smile taught by his parents to the heir of an old aristocaster family. Minseok tilted his head at his smile. "You shouldn'y smile if you don't mean it, it'll only wear you out" Joonmyeon was shocked. No one was able to see behind his smile but the man read him like an open book. It was something odd and refreshing at the same time. 

"I am Kim Joonmyeon, please be my friend" Joonmyeon has never ask someone to become his friend before but this particular senior made him wanna have one. It was just a gut feeling but he knew he won't regret it. 

"Sure" Joonmyeon smiled happily. "You got a beautiful smile, ne?"

"Where?" Yi xing asked the calm squad leader with a surprised tone. He really don't need to do the job for the squad K leader as he is a squad M leader but Yi xing knew something was up and it is eating the currently latte drinking squad leader. 

"The underground laboratory that belongs to former Anti-XO organization" Suho stared at Lay who was still debating inside his mind whether to accept the odd job or to leave it be and report the sudden request to their squad leader. Suho knew Yi xing like the back of his hand, he was the one who trained him to control his cast to a certain level. 

"Fine. fine." Suho smiled. Jongin appeared out of nowhere the white fog turning to air as he sat on one of the empty seats. 

"You called?" Jongin was never a patient man nor was he a tolerating person. If you want him to do a mission cut the dramatics and get on to it. Suho sighed. He slipped the white piece of paper in Jongin's direction where the location of their mission is written. Jongin raised a brow as he read it. "It's an empty place"

"I know" Jongin sighed. There were rare moments when their squad leader is incomprehensible but it always turned out to be for the better. He was hoping inside his mind that this is one of those times too. Jongin held Yi xing's shoulders while the latter was holding Joonmyeon's arms. Black haze surrounded them and the next scene they see is the eerie abandoned structure. Jongin and Yi xing eyed the squad leader who was approaching the entrance of the structure and tailed behind him. Suho walked inside like he grew up inside the building. The walk was silent and the only sound they can hear was the echoes of their footstep. The whole building was dark and gloomy. It was a perfect hospital horror venue desciption. 

"What are we doing here?" Jongin asked frustrated at the silence. Curiousity killing him. Suho did not answer and continued his silent walk towards the long uneding hallways. Yi xing sighed. The walk was once again silent with a grumbling Jongin beside him. They suddenly came to a halt in front of what appears to be the main laboratories, or formerly. Suho entered nervously. The place reeks of mixed chemicals that stings their noses. They scanned the almost empty room. There was only two large fluid test-tube like containers, one broken and one empty. Yi xing stared at the name written on the bottom of the glass. Xiumin X0s3s4N-G

"Seokyiu Y1s3s4N-G" Jongin read as he traced the name from the other container. Yi xing stared at Suho. "Hyung, what is this?"Yi xing grabbed Suho's collar. Yi xing was not one that favors violence but he needs the answer. He needs the facts. Suho stared at Yi xing and detached himself from the grip. 

"Minseok-hyung" Jongin and Yi xing did not need to ask further. It was the answer. Jongin and Yi xing grew silent as Suho searched the whole room not missing a single detail. It was the least he can do as the leader, as Minseok's apprentice, and as a friend. It took the longest 30 minutes before Suho stopped his aimless seacrh. In his hand were a handful of papers soak in dirty water and a silver necklace with a snowflake-like pendant. It resembles their cast limiter but it seems to resemble a key more than a limiter does. 

"Team battle? That sounds interesting" Minseok clapped at the sudden information. Kris who was eating his lunch grimaced while Sehun was still poking the muffin dubious of it's content. Joonmyeon was already used to the odd team's pace and offered a sincere smile. "Let's enter" Minseok suggested which surprising the three young lads sitting at the corner of the cafeteria. The usual seat. Minseok was not the type to join contests especially team battles where they need to crush the other team for a win. "We could have Kris as commander, Suho as tactician, Sehun and I your members" Minseok excitedly stated laughing at their expressions. Kris was the first to snap out of his surprise. 

"We lack members. This year's team battle is a fortress battle, we need a minimun of nine members in a group." Kris stated making Minseok pout. 

"We can recruit people" Sehun blankly said making Kris sighed. The youngest of them was interested, that he knew. They always contradict each other, he should have known. 

"That's a good idea!" Minseok smiled kissing Sehun's cheeks while Sehun cringed at the dispaly of affection but a small smile was plastered on his face. 

"We can recruit Luhan and Yi xing, and , and" Joonmyeon chuckled at the childish actions of the oldest in the group. 

"I can handle the list, I'll search for plausible members" Minseok cheered at Joonmyeon's offer and practically cradled him tightly. 

"You both keep the mission earlier a secret" Suho's words were cold and strict that defying was out of the question though his warm smile was still plastered on his face which makes it heavier for the two members to say no. Jongin sighed as he watched the members of his team playing video games at the lobby of their manor. Luhan teaching the playing Xiumin how to win against the lip-biting Baekhyun kicking Chanyeol for being too loud at his cheers and Chen snickering at every hit Chanyeol received. Kris smirking at the sight with a magazine on his hand with the Tao on the same couch busy with his laptop. Sehun watching the monitor screen laughing at the idiocracy of Baekhyun's combos. Jongin sighed at the innocent festivity of the room, he killed the growing sadness in his heart as he helped his love who came from the kitchen holding the team's snacks. Yi xing eyed the squad K leader with curious eyes. 

"Joonmyeon" Suho was surprised at the sudden utterance of his name especially from Yi xing. Yi xing has always been respectful towards him and always uses his codename to refer to him. Yi xing sensed his discomfort as he smiled bitterly at the leader. "I am asking Joonmyeon and not as Exo's Suho"

"Hmmm" Joonmyeon nodded his head softly.

"Do you think we can survive this?" It was a simple question but Joonmyeon's genius brain has no answer. There simply was not enough reason for him to assure the chinese member that they wil. He was no future-seer and as much as he wants to say 'yes we can' is the fact that he don't know. All he was sure is that things are going to go messy from now on. 

"Let's hope that we can" It was all they can do at the moment. Hope. Inhaling the sweet scent of the peaceful minute as it still last Joonmyeon walked towards the group with a bright smile and Yi xing following his trails. As they join the group on their routined happy moments, Joonmyeon inwardly prayed that time would stop forever but he knew that even with Tao's power nothing would remain dormant, even eternity.
 

"WE WON!" the team cheered loudly at the victory. It was a close call. The alumni's are monstrously strong and it was a miracle that they won. No one can beat an SM alumni afterall. Joonmyeon stared silently at the rejoicing team, his mind still in shock. They won. Even with his perfect older brother against him, they won. They set a record and won. Against an alumni, they won. He can't simply believe it. 

"Yah! Joonmyeonnie!" Minseok's voice caught his attention. The boyish smile his mentor always wore greeted him. The whole team stared at him with their thumbs sticking out. "CONGRATULATIONS! YOU'RE THE BEST" the team chorused making Joonmyeon chuckle as heat washed every part of his body. His smile brighter than before. Minseok approached him and offered him a congratulatory hug as he whisper "I told you, didn't I? You can do anything, Myeonnie. So grab your dreams. We'll wait for you" Warm tears trickled down Joonmyeon's face. He was too happy. No one ever believe he can do it. No one except the rejoicing team. It was all that he needed, he will make his dream come true and make his mentor proud. The thoughts were the only thing that was on Joonmyeon's mind even when he became Exo's leader. 

"Are you proud of me hyung?" Joonmyeon whispered silently at the cold night breeze of the citadel as he travelled outside it without using the transportation device. Joonmyeon smiled bitterly as he stared at the slowly opening gates of the citadel bidding his silent goodbye and goodnight to the resting team. His departure, unbeknownst to Joonmyeon, was seen by the hovering figure above him. The night wishes them a great future ahead. It was the start of it all. 

 

 

 


 

 

 

 

a/n : sorry for the slow update I am busy with my exams. I'll have an exam tomorrow so this is all I can do~ If you have a suggestion please drop it. Thank you for supporting Frofire and the overwhelming love and comments. I am humbly honored.