That conversation

It happened over a coffee

I like those kind of people who can keep a conversation going no matter how random the topic is...

____________________________________________________________________________________________

 

It had been about 3 months since you last met Kris. You were busy with writing articles for the magazine and Kris was busy promoting. There were rumors that EXO was planning for a comeback as well as a tour. You both however kept in touch. After the last meet, surprisingly you had both got closer. When Kris had first asked for your number, you had thought that the chances of Kris keeping in touch with you would be zero but you could not be more wrong. Kris would usually send you random videos to make you laugh and you would send him his troll pics found online. He would send you his "art" pics and you would laugh over it. Occasionally when you needed new ideas for your article or needed a viewers point of view, he would help you. Picasso or not, he did give good feedbacks. Sasha and you would still keep in touch  but she was getting busier cause of her work.The F4 Oppas were also all busy with their work. Of course you all did meet whenever you could but there was no constant messages or calls. So, your only friend in Seoul, like it or not was Kris and you really were getting used to it, maybe it was the shared common interests or how you both understood each other but you were both getting definitely closer.

 

It was nearly 12 AM and you were really tired as it had been a long tiring day. You had a meeting with a potential publisher. Yes, if things go well, your novel would finally be hitting the shelves. The publisher had read your articles and he wanted to know if you were interested in compiling it and adding some more new stuffs and releasing it as a book. As talks started and you told him that you had a finished novel, he was really interested. You had to give it to him on the next meeting. You were about to fall asleep when your phone rang. Kris was calling you and you were kind of surprised. Of course, you both kept in touch almost everyday but it was usually communication via texts or occassional voice notes. There were hardly any calls because you both were so used to texting. You somehow had a  bad feeling and almost missed the call thinking about what is wrong. 

 

"Hey Kris, are you okay?" was the first thing you said. Kris didn't reply to that question, instead he said, "Can we talk? I hope I didn't wake you up"You know how you become so close to a person that you begin to realise what a person may be facing because of his voice or his behaviour? You were having that moment now. Kris was usually never serious but now he sounded really serious. You got up from the bed and answered, "Tell me, what's wrong?". He sighed a relief as he said, "_______ah, is it okay for our dreams to change? is it okay if we no longer want what we wanted earlier?"

This was the beauty of the friendship between you and Kris. You could both ask each other any random serious thing and the other would reply without a 'why'. In the last few months that you had got to know him, he sometimes had this moments where he would pose serious questions like this. Something was definitely troubling him but you did not want to push him to tell you what because you knew he would, whenever he was ready. You replied, "Of course its okay, Kris. As long as we don't stop dreaming and keep working towards the new dreams. It's okay for dreams to change. Didn't you hear? We are never too old to dream a new dream." You added that last bit to make him laugh. He sighed a relief as he replied, "Thank you. I really needed to hear that. I guess you were about to sleep so I am going to hang up. Goodnight and take care."  Before he hung up, you said, "Don't worry so much Kris, everything will be fine and I am sure whatever it is, you will take the best decision. Take care and Goodnight."

 

After Kris hung up, you wish you knew why he was behaving so strangely. The last few days especially, had made you see a new sight of Kris. You were deciding on whether to send him a funny video to make him laugh or an encouraging message when your phone lighted up. 

 

"Can we meet tomorrow at 5 PM in the regular coffee shop?"

Before you could ask which regular coffee shop, you got another text. 

"The one where we first met and thereafter you kept stalking me there."

 

You let out a laugh. Kris could never really be fully serious and he just knew how to make you laugh. On other days, you would have picked a fight with him but knowing how he sounded sad and strange, you decided to play along with his random joke and so, you replied. 

"Sure. Your stalker will be waiting for you."