Chapter 5

Love and Revenge

AUTHOR POV

Nana could feel her body begin to tighten as she stood there unable to move, fear had already taken over her, she knew what was going to happen, and all she could do was flinch as she turned away. As the car came closer to her she felt her heart beat stop. *NANA TALKING TO HERSELF* “You know when people say your life flashes before your eyes right before the moment of death, well here it is...Nana falling when she was little, her first day of kindergarten, her 18th birthday, her dad looking at her mom’s picture, when she found out the truth, the airplane, the necklace, and then…the headlights from the car. There was a loud sound that echoed through the city and in that moment everything was still.

JOOYEON POV

I was on my way home from babysitting Neri. Uee was texting me all day trying to make up. We haven’t really been talking lately. We’re still together, but at this point in our relationship I’m not sure that I want to be with her anymore. We both want different things; she wants to do her modeling and I still want to do ballet. I love her but is that enough to make me stay with her?  I turned off my phone in frustration; I couldn’t read anymore of her messages. I sighed. “What’s the matter?” My driver Min Yo asked me. “It’s Uee she’s been trying to make up.” “Why don’t you make up with her, it’s been days.” “The thing is I’m trying to sort out my feelings about everything, I’m not sure if I want to be with her anymore…”  He was giving me his full attention and my eyes went to the road where I saw a girl walking “MIN YO LOOK OUT!” He tried to break but it was too late the car had already hit the girl. I heard her body as it rolled over the car.

Min Yo finally got the car to stop; he unbuckled his seatbelt and ran out to go check on her. She was unconscious, “Jooyeon give me my cell phone!”  He called to me as he ran back to the car. I grabbed it out of the cup holder, and gave it to him, he quickly dialed 911. I turned around to look at the girl who wasn’t moving. When turning around I saw these robbers come and try to take her things. I ran out the car, “What the hell do you think you’re doing!” I yelled as they took her bag and ran away. I ran to her and saw that blood was coming out from her head, as it formed a puddle. I couldn’t wait for the ambulance to get here she’s losing more and more blood as we just sit here and wait. I picked her up and carried her to the car “Min Yo get in the car, we can’t wait for the ambulance to come she’s losing too much blood.” I said to him as I laid her in the back seat. I took off my jacket and put it under her head hoping it would help stop the blood.

 We arrived at the hospital; I carried her on my back and ran inside, Min Yo followed close behind me. He pulled the hospital doors open, “We have a girl here who’s seriously hurt.” The doctors rushed over to help as soon as they saw that she was unconscious. They put her on a bed as they wheeled her into the emergency room. “What happened?” the nurse asked Min Yo. “I hit her with my car by accident I didn’t mean to, I just got distracted for one second when she came out on the road and when I tried to break it was too late…”

“Did she have any identification with her?”

“No no …I…I…I tried to check, but then these robbers came by and stole everything, she has nothing on her…”

“It’s ok sir calm down, I’ll let the doctors know.”

She walked inside the emergency room to where they took her. We were sitting inside waiting room, waiting for the doctors to tell us if she was ok.  “I didn’t mean to hit her Jooyeon...””I tried breaking but it just didn’t stop in time…” I looked at him because part of it was my fault. “It’s not your fault if I wasn’t troubling you with my relationship issues you would have been paying attention and this would have never happened.” Hours had passed before they came out. “Doc, how is she?” Min Yo asked. “We patched her up, she hit her head pretty hard, so we’ll wait and see how she feels when she’s awake.” “At this point I can’t tell you anything, there was a swelling in her head caused by severe impact, we’ll just have to wait and see .” “She’s resting right now so if you’d like you can go inside and see her.” We went inside to find the girl sleeping in her bed. I went to sit in one of the chairs. “I hope that she will be ok…” Min Yo said to me. I looked at him “Me too.” I looked back at the unconscious girl “I’m sorry, this is because of me.” Min Yo put his hand on my shoulder “No it wasn’t Jooyeon, just because you were talking to me and I was distracted does not mean it’s your fault.”

A few days has past, still there were no signs of her waking up. I came to visit her every day since the accident, I don’t know this person, but I sit and wonder who is she? And why was she there, what was she thinking at that moment, and is anyone looking for her, someone she cares about? I would watch her sleep, it’s really cute how she talks to herself when she’s sleeping, and every once in a while I’d catch her nose crinkle. I saw her twitch in her sleep, she was panicking and breathing hard, I grabbed her hand trying to comfort her, I felt her breathing slowly calm down going back to normal. “I’m sorry this happened to you, I hope you wake up soon” I said and then I left.

NANA POV

I slowly woke up, looking at the place around me. My eyes grew bigger as I realized I was at a strange place. I sat straight up trying to figure out where I was. “Where am I?” I began to panic. I heard the door open; doctors came in and walked towards me.

 “Miss you’re awake, how do you feel?”  They asked.

“Why am I at a hospital…What’s going on…”

“You don’t remember what happened?”

“No….what happened?”

“You were hit by a car and the people who hit you brought you here.”

“What when?” I asked feeling confused.

“A couple days ago.”

The doctors turned to the nurse and whispered something.

They turned back to me…”What’s your name?”

“My name…?” I began thinking trying to remember my name…..nothing came to me….Why is it so difficult to remember? They watched me sit there trying to think. “Do you remember anything at all?” I tried to think of the last thing I could remember, but I couldn’t think of anything it’s like it my memory had been swiped clean.  “I’m guessing she doesn’t.” The doctor said. I sat there not knowing what to do. “Do you remember anyone who can come to get you?”  Nothing was coming to me. I shook my head. I don’t know who I am, and I can’t remember anything, I was beginning to feel more and more afraid, I felt lost…What am I going to do. My memories are gone.

JOOYEON POV

After the doctors asked the girl questions, he came outside. “It seems like she’s suffering from amnesia.” “Is she going to get her memory back?” Min Yo asked.  “It’s possible she can, but right now what I’m concerned with is who’s going to take care of her, she needs someone to. Since she can’t remember anyone and because we don’t have any way to identify her we’re stuck.” The doctors left and we went back to the room and saw the girl just sitting there trying to process everything. She lifted her head up.

“I don’t know what to do…” “I don’t know who I am or where I live…” She said with her voice beginning to crack. She turned to us “Who are you? You don’t look like doctors…”

Min Yo walked closer to her “I’m Min Yo I was the person that hit you, I didn’t mean to it was an accident…I just wasn’t paying attention for a quick second when you were walking along the road”

“What am I going to do?? I can’t remember anything.” She asked Min Yo.

“I can’t remember where I live….I can’t even remember my mom or my dad….I don’t even know my name….nothing…” she started to cry.

“I’m sorry I don’t know what to do, what do you want me to do?” Min Yo asked the girl. I stood there as the girl cried. An idea came to my mind I called Min Yo to come outside.

“What are we going to do? I don’t want to just leave her. She doesn’t remember her home or anything, and this is my fault I’m the one responsible, I can’t just leave her here and hope for the best. ”

“I know….I know… we’re not going to maybe we can take her home.” I said as a suggestion

“How are we going to take her home without your parents or uncle asking us questions?”

I started thinking about an excuse we could use. “Maybe if you pretend to be her uncle, you can tell them she just came from out of state and doesn’t have a place to live, I’m sure they will let her stay.”

He turned to me “Do you think that she would agree to it?”

“Let’s find out.” I said as I pulled the door open.

We walked inside. Min Yo told her “Listen…Since you don’t remember anything, and you don’t have anywhere to live…not that you could remember…would you like to come live with us?”

She looked at us not knowing what to say….

 Min Yo continued “You can pretend to be my niece and I can take you to where I work, I’m a driver for her parents.” He said as he pointed to me.  Her eyes turned to me.

 “Who is she?”

“My names Jooyeon.” I said.

“She was in the car when you got hit, so it was her idea that we take you home with us. I’m really sorry this happened to you, but I think that it’d be best if you come with us. We can help you.” Min Yo said to her.

She sat there quietly.

NANA POV

I was trying so hard to remember something…anything but I couldn’t. My eyes turned to the people who came in. They didn’t look like doctors. When I asked them they told me that it was them who hit me with the car. I started to feel panicked, what am I going to do? I don’t remember anything; I don’t have a home to live in not that I can remember. I couldn’t hold back my tears anymore and I began to cry.

 It’s a scary feeling, not being able to remember anything. People around you trying to help, but you don’t know any of them or at least you can’t remember them…their telling you what happened trying to help you remember, but you yourself just don’t know what’s going on. All your memories are gone and you have nothing left. It’s like you had been born again except you were born as a new person instead of a baby…and you can’t remember anything that happened before you woke up.  You’re trapped in your own mind; you sit there in search of your old memories but your left finding nothing.

The man asked me what he could do…but I didn’t even know all I could think about was what’s going to happen to me, I want my memories back, I don’t like feeling like this helpless person. They left the room for a while. I just sat there; I scratched my head and felt something funny. I turned to the mirror and saw that the was a big bandage around it. I touched it and it began to throb with pain. “Ow…” It felt as if someone had hit me really hard in the head with a metal bat.

They walked back into the room. The man walked towards me. He told me because I couldn’t remember anything and I didn’t have anywhere to live, He offered me to go live with them, he told me he was a driver and work for her parents. My eyes turned to the girl who was standing there. She said her name was Jooyeon. I sat there quietly not knowing what to say…should I go with them?…I don’t know them but at the same time where am I going to go…?I don’t know if I even have a home to go to… I don’t know what else there is to do…I don’t remember anything; I have this uneasy feeling, but at the same time it seems like the only familiar faces I know.

I looked back at Min Yo “I guess I have no other option since I can’t even remember who I am.” The girl walked over

 “You really can’t remember your name?

 I shook my head “I wish I could have at least remembered that…but I don’t.”

“Well we need something to call you...so why don’t we think of something” We sat there thinking, I couldn’t come up with anything.

“What’s that?” Jooyeon said as she pointed to my neck.

I looked down to see a necklace with the letter N, how did I get this? “Its necklace, I’m guessing it’s mine, it has the letter N, but I don’t know what it stands for…”

“How about we call you N, it must be an important letter if you have a necklace of it” she suggested. I was sad that I couldn’t remember my real name, but I guess that it was a start.