Chapter 1

Love and Revenge

NANA POV

I got into the cab. “Where to miss?” I handed him an address to my parent’s old house that they still owned. I sat there thinking about what my father said. “Nana the cause of your mother’s death is not what you think, you’ve got it all wrong.” The words kept running through my head.

A Couple Days Eariler

Nana come down here! I heard my father yell from downstairs. I came down “What is it?” He told me that he wanted me to cancel all my plans for today so that we could have dinner together.  I snapped at him “Why because today is the anniversary of moms death?” “Nana we’ve been over this , you have to stop holding a grudge against her.” “Why should I?” I said irritated. “She was the cause of her own death if she hadn’t left us to go visit her ex-boyfriend she would still be alive!” He looked at me with sorrowful eyes “I guess it’s time you heard the truth about your mother’s death. “  He pulled a chair for me to sit down. “Nana the cause of your mother’s death is not what you think, you’ve got it all wrong.” “She went to visit her ex-boyfriend, how am I wrong about that?” “You were the one that told me she did.” I said. “But do you know why she went to go visit him?” “Why should I care about the reason she went back to him?” He looked at me “See there you go again, this is why I’ve never told you the full story about her death, it’s because you are too stubborn to listen to the truth.” “I’m not stubborn… I just don’t want to hear a story about how mom went back to her ex-boyfriend.” “She didn’t go back to him Nana, she went to Korea to tell him that she was happily married, because he was still in love with her.” “She didn’t love him anymore though that’s why she went.” “However the day she went….” My thoughts got interrupted when the driver said “Where almost at your destination miss.” I looked outside the window; I had never been to Korea before today. I was born in Korea but we moved to America when I was still a baby. However I did know how to speak Korean fluently, because my father always spoke to me at home in Korean. I also knew how to speak English because of course I attended an American school.  We arrived at my parents old house. It was a simple small home compared to the one we lived at in America, My father is the CEO of a huge American company.  So we were well off.

I went inside and unpacked my things. Along the tables I saw pictures of my parents. They looked so happy. Before the I saw the photos, I was starting to have a hard time remembering how my mother looked. Now looking at them I remember her, and how she always smelled like lilies. I put the photo down “Don’t worry mom, I promise I will make them pay for what they did to you.”

Flashback “When your mother was in high school she used to be in love with someone, his name was Lee Je Woo…he was my friend too.” “Like you…your mother was also popular in high school.” However Je Woo had a very manipulative sister who hated your mothers guts her name was Lee Se Yi.” Why did she hate mom?” I asked. “I’m not so sure about that myself, I just know that she did whatever she could to tear your mother and Je Woo apart.”  End of Flashback

NANA POV

I clinched my fist together.  The Lee family shall regret the day they messed with my mother. I pulled out my computer and searched them online, turns out that their rich too. They own the largest company in Korea. Which was an oil refinery company, not only in Korea but also in Iran. I was browsing through the images when I saw a girl standing with them. Who is that? I thought to myself.  I read the article “ The picture above is the Lee family from your left you’ll see the eldest brother Je Woo, next to him you’ll see his brother in law Tayeon, next to him is his wife (Je Woo’s sister) Se Yi, And lastly next to Se Yi is their daughter Jooyeon. I clicked onto their profile gathering information about them separately. First off well start with Je Woo, he’s a professor at a college. He’s not married yet....I wonder why? Next I went to Tayeon, “It seems like he and his wife are the CEO of the Oil refinery company. They’ve been married since 1992…boring…boring...boring” I clicked on their daughter’s profile. “Lee Jooyeon, daughter of Se Yi and Tayeon, she’s a ballet dancer she’s been training ever since she was a child…” “She’s 22 just like me.” I shut my computer. Who should I start with first? Maybe I will start with Je Woo, just to see how things go.

AUTHOR POV

Nana arrived at the college that Je woo was teaching at. She roamed the halls looking at the name tags that were on the door. “No…no…no…Yes, Mr. Lee’s class this is it.” She observed the class from outside.  “That’s him alright, the jerk that made my mother fly back to Korea just because he wasn’t over her.”  Nana went back home. “Now that I know, where he teaches, the games really begin now.” That night Nana hired a specialist in acting and asked her to pretend to be a high school student and try and seduce Je Woo. “This will for sure get him fired and he will never be able to teach again.”  The next day Nana went to see how things were going at the school, when the bell rang and all the students left, she sent in the actress. “That’s him, now go!” she said. She was watching from the outside. She saw the actress try and get close to Je Woo but he didn’t show any signs of interest. Finally the actress tried to make a move and Nana who was still watching from outside saw him push her off “ I’m sorry young lady, but I’m a teacher and you’re a student nothing can happen between us, and if it could I don’t want anything to happen in that way, I only see you as a student, nothing more.” Nana was surprised by his words but she didn’t believe him.  The actress came out “It didn’t work, he’s really not interested.” She said. “Well see about that.” Said Nana.

That day she followed him to a bar that he stopped by. She hired another actress to go inside and flirt with him. “We’ll see how he is, when he’s not at school, and how he treats older women.” Nana put on a red wig, a coat and sunglasses, to be in disguise. She waited five minutes after the actress went in, before she did. Nana walked to a table and sat down and observed what was going on. She saw that he didn’t even look at the girl, barely said a word. The actress still kept trying “You’re Je-Woo, the well-known professor that teaches at that one college am I right?” “Yes.” He said as if he didn’t want to answer. “We’ll we should go back to my place and you can explain to me all about the life of being a professor.” The actress said. “No thanks.” He said. The actress walked outside and from outside she called Nana “I'm sorry, he’s just not interested.” “It’s fine, I’ll handle it myself.” Nana said as she hung up the phone. She walked over to Je Woo “I noticed that you blew off that pretty lady just now, and I don’t see a ring on your finger, how come you didn’t go with her?” He just stared at his drink. “I’m not interested in persuading women anymore.” “Why is that?” Nana asked. “I used to be in love with this girl when I was in high school, her name was Hyori.” “He’s talking about my mother…” Nana thought to herself. “Well things happened between us and we didn’t end up together.” “She married someone else and had a child and me…well I never married anyone.” “My heart belonged to her, and years ago when she came to visit me she had told me that she didn’t love me anymore, and that she was happily married with someone else.” “Later that day I found out that she had died, I was devastated.” “ I was never able to move on...even though she didn’t love me, I still loved her and when she died, she took my heart with her, “That’s why I just don’t spend any time talking to women anymore, and in a sense I would say that this is a punishment I deserve, because I was the reason why she came back to Korea, just because she felt like she needed to tell me in person.”  “ I see.” Nana said. “ Look at the time, I need to get home and start grading papers.” He said as he left the bar. Nana walked to her car. She took off her disguise and thought to herself. “Maybe he really isn’t a bad person, it seemed like he was sincere when he was talking about my mother…”