009.

Echo

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

Kai sighs as he slouches in his seat. "Ugh, this is so boring!" he says.
"Jongin," his mother warns, looking up from one of her documents. She sighs and sets her files aside on her desk. "If you're bored, then why don't you go walk around?"
The boy frowns at his mother, "Why can't I go see Doyeon?"
"I specifically gotten orders from the girl, saying that she needs to spend time studying for a while, without you around," his mother says before sipping on her coffee.
"You don't have to listen to her about that..." he mutters.
"Oh, but I will," his mother quickly replies.
Kai deepens his frown, "I get this feeling that you liked Doyeon more than me."
"Only because she's different from her family," his mother admits. "You're lucky to have her as a friend."

"Mm. Suppose so... Hey, mom. What do you think I'd be like if I never became friends with Doyeon?" the boy asks curiously.
His mother glances up at him and raises a brow, "You'd still be the same."
Kai sighs and fiddles with his thumbs, "I think I'd be different, you know."
"How so?" the elder asks as she busies herself with documents and signatures again.
Kai's face heats up, and red covers his face, "Uhm..." He scratches the back of his head nervously before speaking, "I- Our relationship just seems different than others... But the way I see it, I see it differently than she does. Does that make sense?"
"No," his mother simply answers.
Jongin exhales, frustrated, "I... Like Doyeon. For a very long time, actually."

"I know," his mother says. Kai blinks confusingly, expecting his mother to force the two apart or maybe try to get the two together. "It's not hard to miss. You act a lot differently around her than around others. You're like an open book," his mother says as she sets her elbow on the table, massaging her temple.
"H-how'd you know about this?" Kai questions.
"By the way you acted up last weekend when her cousin insulted her. Which reminds me, you need to control your actions more. You can't just stand up and slam things on the table whenever you're angry."
Kai's face only darkens into a deeper shade of red as his mother continued, "Am I really that obvious? Doyeon already knows I like her too..."
"She also dislikes that you stand up for her too much, am I not right?"

"Sheesh, what have you been doing? Stalking me?" Kai mutters.
"I just know people very well," she says. "Now run along, I have work to do."

With a sigh, the tall boy stands from his seat and stalks out of his mother's office. What do I do?! The boy exits the building and starts to walk. He held his cell phone in his hand, calling Doyeon's cell, but no answer. Whyyyyy? Do you really want to make me go away? You could have asked me to shut up so that you could do your work! Jongin pouts sadly as he stuffs his hands into his jean pockets and starts to stroll down the busy streets. He lets the cool wind blow his hair away from his face and brush against his dark-skinned cheeks as he crosses the road. But... Do I spend a lot of time with Doyeon? The boy tries to sum up the amount of times that he hasn't left Doyeon's side that month, and his answer: zero. Maybe I do spend a lot of time with Doyeon... But how is that bad? I mean, she and I are friends, and friends always stick together. He pauses his words and sighs as he suddenly remembers that he has less than a year left of school. Not always together, I suppose...

Kai lets out a sharp sigh and suddenly glances up into the windows of a bus. A small smile appears on his face when he remembers how Doyeon would force him to sneak away from their drivers and onto a bus instead. She called it "being free." Doyeon even gave him a bus card for whenever the boy might want to ride a bus again, but he hasn't used it since. He wonders if Doyeon has ever taken the bus without him around. He knows that the girl walks a lot, but never knew if the girl went on buses anymore since the last scolding she received from her mother. But of course she didn't listen to a single word her mother said, and "promises" her mother that she wouldn't take the bus anymore.

The card was removed from his wallet and he lets the bus scan his card as he steps onto the bus. Jongin stuffs his card into his pocket and walks carefully to the back of the bus as the bus starts to move again, and people begin to move up to the front seats. Kai sits down on the very last seat and pulls out his phone from his pocket again, staring at the screen, hoping his friend had left him a message or something. Nothing. He frowns and glances out the window. Maybe I do spend too much time with her... But I'm so bored! The bus makes another stop, and much more people exit the bus. Kai plays with the phone in his hand and glances around the bus, finding children sleeping near their parents, and few people hopping onto the bus. Kai's eyes scan around, and his eyes landed on a girl, whose head hung low and towards the sketchpad on her lap, her hair all moved to one side of her neck. A black and white, pencil drawn paper lies on her lap. He watches as the girl gently shades parts of her drawing with light gray from her pencil. After she finishes a certain part of the drawing, she removes her hand and pulls off a sticky note from her small canvas and moves onto another section of the drawing, setting the sticky note under her hand. Feeling a tad awkward about staring at the girl, Kai removes his eyes from her and glances out the window.

One or two hours passed, and the bus has made another stop, and other passengers hurry onto the bus. Jongin glances around, finding the bus filled with fewer people than before. His eyes moved towards the girl who still had her eyes on her drawing, adding the finishing touches of her drawing. She finally lifts her head, exhaling wearily. Her eyes and Kai's meet. Kai's eyes slightly widen, while the girl's was just the same and she showed no emotion whatsoever. "Doyeon!" the boy says as he moves up from his seat to sit beside his friend. Doyeon sighs and rubs her neck. "You've been on here the whole time? I didn't notice you... I missed you." Kai glances down at the drawing the girl had on her lap, seeing that it was just a sketch of what seemed to be a girl, but weird things were drawn in instead of a face. "This is what you've been working on the whole time on the bus?" Kai asks. She nods as Kai gently removes the drawing from her lap and holds it in his hands, gazing down at the art. "What is it about?" he asks.

Doyeon shrugs and sits back in her seat, hearing her back crack a few times. "Just things that are in my mind..."
"So... The girl is you?" he asks, as he points at the non-faced girl. She just shrugs carelessly. "If it is... Then, there's a lot on your mind," he mumbles.
His friend suddenly stands up from her seat, making Kai glance up at her. "We can't be on the bus forever, you know..."
The two both hurry off the bus and realized how late it had become. They walked side by side through the streets and Kai looked around, not knowing where they heck they were. But apparently, Doyeon knew. "Where are we?" Kai asks as the two continued to walk. He suddenly heard the sound of keys clinging against each other in the girl's hand and looks down at her as they both turn a corner and walk towards a small house.

"We're far from our house right now, and there's no way we can go home right now at this time..." Doyeon says as she pushes the gate of the house open and walks inside, waiting for the boy to follow her inside and closes the gate. "We'll just stay here for the night." She walks past the confused Kai and towards the front door, pushing one of her keys into the keyhole and unlocks the door. "Besides, we don't even want to go home right now..." she continues as she enters inside the house and pulls off her shoes, grabbing two slippers from the nearby closet and puts one pair on and leaves the other near the door for Kai. Kai awkwardly enters inside the small house and glances around as he takes off his shoes and slips his feet into the slippers. Doyeon turns away to turn on the lights for the boy to enter the living room. "In case you're wondering," she says as Kai shuffles into the living room and sits on the cheap sofa, "This is the old house I used to live in." The girl sits on the opposite side of the sofa and hugs her legs, "I come here whenever I need to relieve stress, or if I just miss things..."

Kai sits forward, his elbows on his knees, and looks around, "It's a cute place... I thought your parents told you to sell this place though," he says, glancing over at the girl.
She just stares at the boy, responding in a calm voice, "Do you think I'd do that? Do you think I'd obey my parents like that?"
Kai shrugged, "I mean, back then, you always did as your parents told. You even told them that you did sell it..."
"Yeah, I did. I sold it to myself so they don't receive those bills, but I do. There's no way I can sell my memories," she suddenly says.
"But... Why do you take me to these places? First, the buses, then your old workplace, now here..." Kai listed.
Doyeon shrugs, "I guess I just want to share my old memories with someone. I never did get to share any memories with anyone before..."

The boy suddenly goes silent and a frown appears on his face as Doyeon reaches for the remote on the coffee table and turns on the TV before curling up against the sofa again. Jongin suddenly scoots towards the girl and a hand reaches up to touch the girl's hand. His fingers laced with hers, making her throw her attention towards him. "Feel free to share any of your memories with me, I don't mind at all. As long as you're happy, then I'm fine with that." Doyeon narrowed her eyes and turned her attention towards the TV again, feeling a slight squeeze around her hand, which she did the same back. I'm okay.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

Uhm, so. I tried to separate the two, but it's kinda hard for me. Am I making Kai too clingy? orz. ps. when I start pandora 3, this story will only be updated when I'm depressed. l0l. so far, I'm doing better than I did before. so no much depression at the moment. until my cousin shows up with his bragging again. but i'll continue this, i'll try. no promises though.