016.

Echo

Not editted. Will edit later if the internet decides to not be on a period.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

This is where I belong. The college girl stood at the large window of her dorm room and sighed as she looked at the campus view beyond her, her new home. I came here to be alone. Her phone vibrated violently on her wooden desk beside her, but she ignored it, already knowing who was messaging her. The vibrating phone finally stopped and she turned her attention to the still phone. It vibrated once more, that was it. She looked at the recent message and stared coldly at it, but her heart ached. 'Please come back.' Because I don't want to be a nuisance. 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

Just days before, she was in her last homeroom class of high school with her friend. A year passed by too quickly for Doyeon. She knew that life was going to pass by, but she didn't expect a year to pass in a snap. The fourth year student stood at the window, arms crossed as she looked at the view beyond her while immature teenagers around her ran up and down the halls, making memories that they will someday look back to. She minded her own business, letting her mind wander towards the thought of graduating in only a couple of more weeks and then return back to studies as college will enter her life. She was angry though. She was not able to achieve her dreams like she had wanted to. Within a few months after graduation, she will be on her way of pursuing her parent's dreams of wanting her to be a doctor. Endless nights with no sleep, not being able to see the world outside the hospitals, not having the time to work on something to relax. Yeah, she really wanted to be a doctor.

She thought back to her younger years, seeing how being sixteen or seventeen seemed much less stressful than beiing eighteen. The day before she turned eighteen, she thought that being an adult would be the way that would send her to freedom. Doyeon thought that being eighteen would be the best thing in life, like celebrating a sweet sixteen. But no, life told her. She felt nothing different on the day she had turned eighteen. Everything was the same and it continued to be the same, just like how she felt when she turned sixteen. She had waited eighteen years to be free of stress, but she only realized that she was forever trapped in the cage that kept her inside since birth. Being eighteen is nothing. Yes, you're capable of letting the past of high school go and move onto careers and college, but somethings will just never change. Doyeon is stuck in a cage where millons of her questions are left hanging in the air, unanswered. Even though the cage had holes to breath through, Doyeon felt like she was sufficating in the cage, but she was finding her way out. All she needed to look for was the key to letting herself out.

A sigh was released from the friend beside her who stretched out his arms. Doyeon snapped out of her daze and glanced over at yawning Jongin and a tiny smile appeared on her face. "It's great to finally have a couple of weeks left as a high school student." He looked at Doyeon with his friendly grin, "Right?" The rare smile on her face widened as she turned her attention back to the scene before them. "I honestly can't wait to go to college. Finally getting to be away from my mother." Doyeon gave the boy a look which he realized and explained, "So I can show her what a great son I am." They turned their attention back to the view before Jongin continued, "The great thing about college is that I will be able to spend another four years of school with my good friend, Doyeon." The smile on her face disappeared. "And we'll be able to meet new people and make new memories together." She hasn't told him that she wasn't going to attend the arts university anymore.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

Graduation then came. It was the day where friends separated, cried, and left all of their high school memories back. Doyeon sat on stage with a few other classmates that made it on the honors list, along with Kai. Many things were on her mind during the rest of the boring ceremony. While the classmates smiled or cried, Doyeon remained emotionless. "...People come and go. I'm sorry if many of you don't accept that, but that's life," the principal said in her speech, which finally got Doyeon back to paying attention to the ceremony. "Even though people leave, it doesn't mean that they won't come back. It may take a long time for a reunion, but time doesn't matter in life because it keeps going and going. Today, you students are here at this school one last time. You may be thinking, 'Wow! I'm so glad that I'm out of high school! Freedom!' But know that once this ceremony ends and you go home and get ready for whatever you have chosen in your life, your adulthood is waiting right outside the doors. Once this graduation ends, you will not be seen as a student anymore, but an adult. I know you may disagree with me on this for now, but once you get to a certain age like me, and you look back at your young age lives, you will be begging to come back. But that's alright. Being an adult is fine and it's life..." It's life. Those words continued through her mind. Yeah. I completely forgotten about that.

When the graduation ended, families left the gym that held the ceremony and wandered off. Doyeon didn't even need to look for her parents, knowing that they weren't going anywhere until she would meet up with them. She glanced at Kai who seemed upset to not find his mother in the crowd. "She's not here..." he said with a sigh, "Just as I expected."

"Why don't you go home first?" Doyeon said. "I'm going somewhere with my parents."
"Why can't I go with you? It's graduation and I don't want to be lonely," Kai said with a pout. "I'm following you."
Doyeon sighed, "I said you can go home. You don't have to follow me everywhere you know."
"But you're my friend, and friends do everything together," Kai whined.
"Not everything," she muttered before walking towards her parents who were waiting at their seats.

When she approached them, her parents stood and said the words that she didn't want them to say, especially in front of her best friend. "Well, hurry and say your goodbyes. We need to go as soon as possible," her mother said, making Kai blink.
"As soon as possible? Where is she going?" he questioned. Curse him for being such a good friend.
A smile appeared on her mother's face as she told Kai, "Didn't you know? Doyeon here is going to attend one of the SKY universities in our nation. Not that junk place for crazed students."

Kai turned silent and glanced at Doyeon who looked at the ground. Truthfully, she hated to make Kim Jongin upset. Then he left. He just left.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

"See? Doesn't this place look better than that arts school?" her mother said with a happy sigh as she stood beside her father. "There's so many people here that have so much in common with you!" she said. Doyeon bit her lip. We'll see about that. "Anyway, this is a new start for you." Her mother looked at her straight in the eyes, "Don't screw it up." Wise words.
"If you get homesick, just come home wherever you want, alright?" her father said with a gleeful smile. Then they left, making Doyeon return to glancing back out of the window.

I'm already homesick.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

uhm. i'm trying my best to make it interesting? so i made a time jump. and yes, doyeon went straight to college after graduation. that happens. l0l. here's where the drama and adventure starts to come up. i promise to make it good.