005.

Echo

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

Doyeon sighed as she settled in her seat, glancing over at her mother, "Go on," her mother said, urging her to hurry and start playing the piano for their special guests. The girl glanced at Kai who just sat in his seat, yards away from her and smiling at her brightly. Exhaling sharply, she rubbed her fingertips against her palms before starting to play a soft, beautiful melody that surrounds the large office. She heard her mother sigh happily as she leaned towards her friend, "Lovely isn't it?" she asked the woman who nodded in response with a fake smile. Doyeon's eyes averted down to her fingers that flew all over the keys beneath her hands. A frown appears on her face when she feels the sense of competitiveness surrounding her. Just as I thought. Her fingers made a sudden stop, making her parents turn their attention towards her. She stood up from her seat and walked back to her seat beside Kai and sat down. "Doyeon, why'd you stop playing?" her mother asked.

Doyeon shrugged, "'Cause Mrs. Lee obviously thinks that I don't play as well as her daughter. So why should I continue when someone thinks that I don't play well?" she stated.

"U-uh... That's not what I think, Doyeon," Mrs. Lee started to say. "Even if I don't think you're doing well, you shouldn't give up."

Doyeon glanced sideways with a smug smile, "Your fake smile doesn't tell me that," she pointed out, making the elder blink multiple times, surprised by her response. Doyeon sighed and crossed her right leg over her left, hands folded in her lap, and leaned back in her seat, "So if you think I don't play well... Why not let your daughter play for us then?" she questioned with a sly smile, tilting her head to the side. The opposite family stayed silent for a moment. "You don't have to, you know," Doyeon said, breaking the silence.

"Doyeon!" Kai whispered a warning, not wanting her to get in trouble with her parents, his hand on Doyeon's forearm.

"If you think you're better..." Doyeon continued, "Then prove it to the world."

The woman turned to Doyeon's mother with a shocked, angry face, "Mrs. Jang, how do you live with such a rebellious child-"

"I'm not rebellious- Actually... I am, but in different ways. I'm just making you face the rich world. If you think you're better, prove it," Doyeon said. "Because all people with money will think that they're better than everyone else, even if rich is meeting rich." Kai removed his hand from her arm and blinked as she continued. "You're pretty new to the rich world, right? In this world, you have to prove it so others can believe it. So?" Doyeon pointed at the piano, "Show us what you got," she says as she stands up, "I'm leaving, you people are boring." Doyeon grabs Kai's arm and pulls him out of his seat as she makes her way towards the doors and exiting them.

The two both stopped as soon as they entered the elevators. Doyeon lets out a heavy exhale as Kai laughs at his friend, "Wow, I never knew that Jang Doyeon was so bold," he comments, grinning. "How interesting."

"Shut up," Doyeon mutters. "What did you want to do today?"

"Wait, so you're actually leaving your parents here?" Kai questioned.

"Why should I stay and listen to old, smelly, rich people brag about their so-called lives? I swear, they spend life doing nothing but count how many minions are working to count their money for them, and take all the money and spend it on useless ," Doyeon mutters.

"Is a birthday cake a useless thing to buy?" Kai suddenly asks.

Doyeon looks at Kai and blinks, "Excuse me?"

Kai smiled as he shyly looks away, "Did you seriously forget that it's your birthday? It seems like I'm the only one that remembered..." he mumbles.

Doyeon stares at Kai, "Is it seriously my birthday?"

Kai turned his gaze to Doyeon and nodded, "Seriously, you should take a break from school and take some time to remember your own life..." he says as he grabs hold of Doyeon's hand and drags her out of the elevator.

He's right... I'm too focused on school. Yeah. But school is part of my life too, though. But... Doyeon steps into the black car, sitting beside a smiling, calm Kai. The boy told their driver their destination before the car started to stroll down the streets of Seoul. Kai was true, and Doyeon knew it was true. But to Doyeon, the only thing that mattered in her life at that moment was school, nothing else. Plus, her social life was going downhill, not that she even cared about her social life before. But she couldn't just cling to Kai forever, even if they were best friends. Besides, Doyeon had plans of her own, so did Kai. And the boy chose to go to Canada to study after high school would end, while Doyeon chose to study in America, or wherever her parent's "money" could take her and fulfill the dream of becoming a doctor or lawyer. Yeah, not exactly her dreams, now that you know about it. To be frank, the girl didn't know what she wanted to do yet with her life after high school, and school was coming to an end soon. That's why she tells herself that she could never cling to Kai forever. 

"Kai..." Doyeon says, making the boy turn his attention towards her. "Have you ever regretted having the high society life?"

Kai stares at his friend for a while before turning to gaze back out the window, "I haven't really thought of that..."

Doyeon smiles just a tad, rests her head on Kai's broad shoulder. "I'm tired. Can we just spend the day being lazy at home?"

Her friend glances at her with a sad face, but seeing the tired look on her face makes his heart ache. Kai nodded with a sigh.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

Kai looks at his friend who fell asleep on his bed. He chuckled and knelt down to Doyeon's eye level to brush her bangs away from her eyes. If you were tired, you should have just told me... He turns off his TV and yawns while stretching his arms out. His phone suddenly rings and he immediately picks up. "Hello? Oh hey, Mrs. Jang. Yeah, Doyeon's here-" Kai stopped talking as he let Doyeon's mother rage on the other line. He finally interrupts her in the middle of her speech and says, "That's great. Listen, Doyeon's sleeping over tonight. My... Mother wanted to spend some time talking to her. I'll make sure she'll return home tomorrow safely, bye." Kai exhales as he ends the call without letting Doyeon's mother say another word. He sighs as he takes his shirt off and walks to his bathroom, closing the door behind him. Why do they give her such a hard time?

He turns on the faucet of his shower on and waits for it to warm up. Kai slips off his watch and places it on the counter. But... Why do you keep questioning me about having a rich life? Do you not like it? Or... He shakes his head and buries his face in his hands. Are you just used to your old life? Maybe, I should show you the real world of the rich world, and it'll change your mind. He smiles to himself and nods slightly.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

i don't know what i'm writing. probably about how doyeon really thinks about the high society life. orz. maybe. i don't remember what happened in the story tbvqh. Sorry i've been really busy to remember and to write. orz free time for now. o/

ps. i recently made a story prompt shop for story writers. check it out. c: