006.

Echo

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

Doyeon sighed as she stepped out of Kai's house with him following behind. "Are you sure you don't want a ride?" he asked. Doyeon shook her head as her response and walks away. She left the gates of Kai's house, and found Kai's car pass her. No regrets of not taking the car came to her. Besides, walking is something she rarely does. She misses walking to school. 

Yeah, she knew it was against the "rich rules" that all rich people should always take the car to school or wherever. She's received those comments many times when her classmates watch her walk to school at times, then the next day she's in a black car on the way to school instead. Only because she was forced to. Doyeon never liked to take the car anywhere in the city unless it was close. What's the point if you take a car? In her heart, she deeply misses being on her bicycle or bus, and hurrying to school. Sometimes she wishes she could take her parents back out into the streets without a car. She loved walking, and she loved to observe the environment around her. But her parents were the complete opposite. There was no way that her parents would dare walk on the streets.

Yet Kai was different. He didn't mind if he walked, or took a car to anywhere. He just liked sticking around Doyeon. And why? Because if she got in trouble, he'd be there for her. Doyeon could barely count the number of times Kai had looked over for her when her parents scolded her for doing something that was against the "high society" rules.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

Doyeon slowly walks inside the school and hurries to her homeroom. She enters the quiet classroom, finding students studying independently. Out of all classes of the school's, her class was the most studious and quiet overall. But it was full of competitive people. Doyeon, she didn't even care. But others do. They always question how Doyeon even kept herself in first place on all their exams when she never goes to a tutoring school. Is she a genius, or is she just overachieving? Doyeon didn't even know the answer herself. The fact that she's doing well in school was good enough.

Doyeon settles in her seat just as the classroom door reopened again, and in came Kai with a bag of food. "You didn't eat this morning," the boy said as he grabbed a chair and sits in front of Doyeon, giving her a cup of hot coffee and a breakfast sandwich that he snuck out to buy. "Eat this before class starts," he says and smiles at her before unwrapping the sandwich for her. Doyeon feels all eyes on her and sighs. Just ignore them. She takes the coffee and sips the hot liquid. Kai smiles at her and takes out his own breakfast and takes a big bite of it. "Oh, after school," he swallows his food and looks back at Doyeon as she takes a small bite of her sandwich. "Let's go eat at the usual place, 'kay? Skip lunch." Doyeon doesn't reply, but Kai knows that she says yes. It's too obvious that the two have been spending too much time together.

Class soon starts, but no lessons are taught. Everyone studies independently and few murmurs wander around the room as classmates as their partners for help. Kai pokes Doyeon's elbow with the eraser end of his pencil, gaining her attention. "Doyeon, can you help me with this?" he asks as he points his pencil down at the problem. She says nothing but writes down the steps for the boy. Kai grins when she turns her attention back towards her work, "Thanks," he says before he tries to finish his problem.

The silence of the classroom is suddenly interrupted by their teacher's heels clicking against the tiled flooring. "Okay, students. It's been a while since we've done creative writing. And apparently it's one of the requirements now, so every day we have to do creative writing, yada yada. I don't know why the school is making us doing this. But they're probably trying to see how creative you are during your studies. So, I'll give you a topic every day, like today, I want you to write what is really on your mind at this moment. You will write about it, creatively. Some people don't really understand the term of creative writing..." Doyeon blocks out her teacher's voice as she grabs her notebook and opens to a fresh, new page to start writing. "Now remember, creative writing doesn't mean that you have to write. You can also draw or whatever. Anything that expresses your creative mind is good enough. But you need to keep your notebooks here. No one in the class will look at your writings, nor will you have to read or show them to the class. Only I, your teacher, will be reading your writings..." Doyeon grabs her pencil and eraser out from her pencil bag and starts to sketch on her notebook paper. She knows that the teacher had left by noticing the quick change in the environment around her, but she didn't look up.

Write about how you is on your mind at the moment. You don't have to write, but you can also draw or whatever. Doyeon's pencil slides delicately against the paper as she sketches figures here and there.  Her eyebrows knitted together in concentration. What was on her mind at the moment? Why do rich people must be so... Annoying and judgmental? Why did I have to be "the one"? Her pencil shades in the figures. She presses the pads of her finger against the pencil shading on her paper and spreads out it's dark gray ink. The girl uses her eraser to gently erase away the unwanted parts of her drawing. Doyeon pulls out a mechanical pencil with the smallest led that she could find, and writes in her captions of the drawing. 'Sometimes, I just hear my questions just echoing back at me, instead of being answered back.'

The bell rings, interrupting Doyeon's concentration. She looks up at the clock and finds that lunch period had started. An exhale escapes past her lips as she sets down her pencil and eraser. She glances at her hands, finding the dark gray pencil markings printed on her palms, fingers and just basically all over her hands. Her hands feel sore from holding a pencil for too long, but she ignores the pain and stands up to walk to the restroom to wash her hands.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

School ends fast for Doyeon and Kai, and the two escape to their favorite Korean BBQ restaurant just around the corner from their school. The place wasn't well known, but for Doyeon and Kai, it was the only place that they would go to. "A serving of beef please!" Kai says as he and Doyeon sit down at their table. Kai grins as he sits across from Doyeon. "God, I miss this place." Doyeon sighs and rubs her temple, receiving a sudden slight headache. Kai frowns at his friend, "You okay?"

Doyeon looks at Kai and nods, "Yeah. I'm fine. Just tired."
"Do you have a headache?" Kai asks.
"No..."
"I'll go buy you some medicine," Kai says and gets out of his seat, but ends up being pulled back down in his seat.
"I said I'm fine," Doyeon says. 
Kai continues to frown, "Okay..."

The two ate their late lunch quietly. Kai catches Doyeon's eyes wanting to close. "Are you tired?" he asks.
"I'm fine," she says before covering for a yawn. She sees Kai get out of his seat and sits beside her, "I said I'm fine-"
"It doesn't seem like it," Kai says in a cold, but nice voice. He pats his right shoulder, gently smiling at her. "Sleep for a while. I'll wake you up when we need to leave."
Doyeon stares at Kai for a moment before exhaling as a sign of giving up. At least someone cares about her sleep. She rests her head perfectly on Kai's board shoulder before closing her eyes to let sleep take over her and mumbles, "Thanks, I guess..."

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

She smells Kai's faint scent as she was still asleep. Her mind tells her to open her eyes, but she wants to stay where she was. She was... Comfortable. Doyeon could feel a light brush of the wind's breeze against her legs. Her mind was currently awake, but she just wanted to continue to sleep.  Her eyes open anyway. Kai lightly hums as he walks up the hill of the long street, not caring about how heavy Doyeon was on his back, and how much the bags around his neck weighed. Doyeon smiles and buries her face in Kai's shoulder, closing her eyes again. That was one thing she liked about Kai. No matter what was happening, the boy always tried to be optimistic and positive about everything. Including now, when Doyeon knew that she weighed a ton, and the boy shouldn't be carrying her and two bags as well. "Are you awake?" Kai asks as he turns his head to the side to meet Doyeon's eyes. He smiles at her as their eyes meet. She slightly nods and sighs as Kai continues to walk towards his home. "I knew you were tired... You should sleep more, Doyeon."

"Hmm," was all Doyeon said. She looks up, finding the skies dark, but lit up from the moon and stars' light. "You should have woken me up..."
"I should have, but I didn't want to," Kai says, flashing a smile at his best friend. "I'd like my best friend to sleep well, and to not be interrupted in her sleep." They both stay silent for a moment before Kai speaks again. "About that creative writing assignment... What were you drawing?" he asked. "You did an awful lot of work..."
Doyeon slightly smiles at herself, "Just expressing everything that's on my mind..."
Kai looks for words to respond to her, "Do you... Really hate living in the world you're living in now?" he asks.
"Very much. There's only one thing that I like about it, a good friend..." she says. And it was true.
Kai chuckles, "Who's the friend?" he jokes horribly.
"Shut up, Jongin," Doyeon says.
"Shh. Sleep, we're almost home," he says in his soothing voice.

Home... There's only one thing that makes every place seem like her home: being with Kai.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

Sorry for not updating lately! I've been so caught up in school lately. be happy that I updated even though I need sleep. haha. idek what I wrote tbqh. I don't edit my chapters anymore due to lack of time.