007.

Echo

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

Doyeon stares at Kai as he plays a game on his laptop, aggressively slamming his fingers down on his laptop keys and clicking on his mouse. "What?" Kai asks, his eyes still glued to his screen. "Why are you staring at me like that?"
Doyeon shifts her glance elsewhere and sighs as she rests her head on Kai's shoulder, making Kai freeze. "I..." she starts to say, but ends up agreeing that it wasn't what she wanted to say. "What would you do if I ran away from home?"
Kai sat stiffly, dared not to move. He finally unfreezes when a loud sound came from his laptop, and large words of 'GAME OVER' flashed across the screen. He bites his lower lip and turns his head, meeting Doyeon's. "I- I don't know... It's your choice if you want to leave. But you will have to end up coming back..."

"But what if I don't want to?" she questions.
Kai pauses. Truthfully, he would hate to see her here one day, and disappear the next. But he wouldn't stop the girl he cared for from what she's doing. "It's... Your choice anyway. If you want to come back or not after running away then, do what you want. I'm not going to stop you from doing what you want to do."
Doyeon stares at Kai and her lips press into a straight line, "It's amazing how you tell me to do that, but yet you don't do that for yourself..." She sighs and sits up straightly and stares out the window in front of Kai's desk, "I always wanted to be an artist."
"I know..." she hears Kai say. "You're an amazing artist..."
"But I can't," she says. Kai is now the one staring at his friend, "I would, but I can't." She glances back at Kai. "I can't if someone else wants me to make them happy. Just like you," Doyeon suddenly says. "I know that you don't want to go overseas for college, right?"
Kai bites his lower lip to keep himself from protesting back at his friend, but she was right. The only reason he was going overseas was to study business and to continue to keep his family in the rich society. He lets out a weak chuckle, lowering his head. His bangs cover his face from Doyeon, "Sometimes I hate the fact that we're friends... You should have accepted my heart in the first place," he holds his head up to look at Doyeon who didn't seem shocked by his response, "Even though I didn't tell you directly. Since we know so much about each other than others know about us." He sighs and returns to his game, "But yes, you're right. But I'm just doing this to make family happy," he said in a slight cold tone.

Kai expected Doyeon to flinch at his sudden coldness, but the girl remained quiet and calm. "Have you ever thought of life as a circle?" She exhales before continuing as Kai pretends to have his attention on his game, without realizing he was making his little cartoon character continue to run towards the end of the game world. "If I were to be a shape, I would be a circle..." Doyeon mutters as she stares out his window again. "It's like a cycle... It's like a path to get me a better life... Yes, it's a simple, boring shape out of all shapes in the world, but it leads me to my dreams more quickly than other shapes. I wouldn't want to be a square; it has four corners, sometimes it's a sharp corner or a curved corner. Same goes with any other shapes, the corners are the things that make me pause in life, and make me either miss my opportunities, or just make me stay far behind of everyone else. With a circle... There's no corners, nothing to make me stop at all. I can just keep going and going without a pause and I'll make it. But I cannot be an oval even if it's close to a circle. I could be, but it takes much longer..." Kai removes his fingers from his keyboard and continues to listen to the girl beside him, "The world is like a circle, but it's not smooth, but it does have bumps around it. That's fine. It's still round. Even if I miss that opportunity, I can still go after it again smoothly, and at the same pace. I just want to reach the end without a stop..."

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

Dusk comes, and Doyeon stays over at Kai's, just because she wasn't in the mood to see her parents. There wasn't a single call that came from home, and it was past midnight. Doyeon knows that her family apparently doesn't even care if she's staying over at a friend, even if it was a guy who has a crush on her. But she didn't care. Besides, her house didn't feel like home to her anyway, but she does admit that being with Kai was home. Why? Well, the idiot has always been there for her, and perhaps maybe the only one since her family's reputation changed. He doesn't bark back at her whenever she corrects him, or tells him what she wants, or tells him what he should do. Doyeon knows that Kai only cares about her because he liked her; he was her best friend, and if Doyeon didn't like him back, he wouldn't want to lose the friendship they have. The boy would never leave her side even if she asked him to. But that's all she needed, someone to listen to her and accept her silence. Even though she was rich and , no one at school would look at her the way Kai did. They only approached her when they wanted to "befriend" a rich- kid. Kai befriended her, got to know her, and accepted her. No one else would. Plus, if she told the world her secret of being an artist, everyone would think she was crazy. Do you understand? No rich child would quit college to be some kind of ing painter. In this lifetime, no one could top Picasso or any other artists; that's what everyone thought. Kai thought otherwise, and supports her, always admiring her drawings. So what Doyeon's trying to say is: Kai.

Doyeon sits at Kai's desk, while the giant was fast asleep on his bed, wrapped in his blanket. Doyeon writes in her diary. Well, not writing, but draws in her diary. It was a daily thing. If she was in a bad mood, she'd draw at least two to three detailed drawings to express her feelings out. If she was in a good mood, that was something else that she didn't know of yet. When was the last time she was happy anyway? She didn't know the answer to that at all.

She's dressed in her school gym uniform, usually what Doyeon wore when she was staying at Kai's house. Doyeon could hear Kai softly snoring just a few feet away from her. Her pencil makes light against her journal. Her mind becomes blank, and she lets her nimble hands take over. The girl barely blinks as she works, but she barely paid any attention to her drawing. She also didn't notice Kai waking up from his sleep, and watches her with sleepy eyes. "You should be sleeping," Kai mutters as he closes his eyes again. But Doyeon doesn't answer. The sleepy boy glances at the alarm clock, finding out that it was already three in the morning. He sits up in bed and stretches before rubbing his sleepy eyes. Kai stands up to walk over to his friend who still doesn't know that he's awake. He reaches out to grab her pencil, but he knew too well that he shouldn't. The boy pulls his hand back to his side as he watches Doyeon move her pencil in her hand all over the page. Kai sighed and stared at Doyeon, sensing a feeling of sadness in the air. This time, he didn't care if he stopped her from doing what she was doing. Jongin sinks onto his knees to get to Doyeon's eye level and wraps his arms around her from behind, lightly presses his lips against her temple. Doyeon freezes when she feels his lips against her temple and grips onto her pencil and eraser. A sigh comes from her best friend who rests his chin on her shoulder, "I said you should sleep, idiot," Kai says in a whisper with his husky, sleepy voice. 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

Kai exhaled as he exited the locker rooms, adjusting his school blazer and tie. "...And she's so mean. If you befriend Kai though..." Kai stops in his tracks after hearing his name. Did I just hear my name? The boy glances around to find the source of the voices. "...You will be fine. He's seriously the nice guy in that weird friendship. I don't really know why he hangs out with Doyeon, so don't ask me about it when you hear all that crap about her." Kai pauses to the mention of his best friend's name. Doyeon? He takes just a few more steps down the hall that intersected with another. He peeks from behind the wall and finds a girl and another girl, one of them was a transferee. "Oh, and once you see Kai, he's like a freaking god or something. But stay away, he's mine," one of the girls said and giggled while the transferee slightly smiled. "Just stay away from Doyeon. Better yet, if you want, you can try to get Kai away from Doyeon too-" the girl pauses when she sees Kai walking towards them. Her smirk disappeared into an innocent smile, and ha, Kai hated to see that smile on a girl's face. It annoyed him. The girl's smile disappeared when she realizes Kai wasn't grinning as usual. The other girl turns and gasps when she sees Kai. 

No one can say that about Doyeon, nor can anyone make me leave Doyeon. Kai stands in front of the two girls. The girl who was badmouthing Doyeon let out a nervous laugh, "Hey, Kai. You okay?" she asked, biting her lower lip.
Kai was about to snap, but he was too much of a nice guy to, so... "Great, thanks for asking," he responses with a small smile. "You?"
The girl shrugged, "S-same here. Just, you know, showing the new girl around," she nervously answers and lets out another small laugh.
"Really?" Kai turns to the new girl who was staring at him with wide eyes, "Don't listen to this... Creature, said about Doyeon. She's not like what she said. Well, to me she's not." The quiet girl blinks and nods firmly. "Oh, and..." Kai turns back to the other girl, "I'm not yours. I don't belong to anyone. So stop dreaming and live the real world. Better stop saying crap about Doyeon too. What has she done to you that gives you the privilege to say about her?"
The girl only bows her head, and apologizes–not really
–and drags her new friend away quickly.

Kai exhaled, crossing his arms over his chest. I don't get why being friends with Doyeon is such a bad thing... He suddenly hears footsteps walking down the hallway and looks up to find his friend walking. "Doyeon!" he calls out and rushes over to her side, "Where are you going?"
"Flower shop," she simply answers.
"Oh, what for?" Kai asks more.
"I just want to do something to get my mind off things..."
Kai stops walking and watches her continue to walk. "Oh, okay..." She's probably in a bad mood...
The girl suddenly stops and turns to face Kai, "Do you... Want to come with me?" she suddenly asks.
Jongin blinks at Doyeon. This was probably the first time Doyeon has ever asked him to come with her. He always stayed away from her when she needed to be alone, but this time she asked to be with him. "W-why are you suddenly inviting me?"
Doyeon shrugs and stuffs her hands in her pockets. "Just wanted to... I need company..."
A smile emerges from Jongin and he nods as he runs to be back at Doyeon's side. "Alright, I'll go," he said and beamed.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

The bell rang as Kai pushes the door of the florist shop open for Doyeon. Doyeon enters and looks around for the owner. "Ahjumma~" Doyeon called out in her most innocent voice that Kai has ever heard. She glances around, finding the store empty and walks towards the back exit. "Ahjumma," she called out again. The girl glanced into the greenhouse behind the store as Kai stood behind her, finding the greenhouse filled with various plants.
"Oh, Doyeon!" an elder voice called out from the end of the greenhouse. Doyeon slightly smiles and leaves the door ajar for Kai to get through after her. She walks towards the end of the greenhouse and finds the elder watering the flowers. She smiles at Doyeon, "How have you been, cutie?"
Doyeon smiles, "Great... You haven't been working too hard, have you? You know what can happen..." she said, worriedly.
The elder lets out a joyful laugh, "I'm fine, I'm fine! I haven't been working by myself, you know. Sometimes my grandchildren come and help me," the ahjumma said.
"That's good. Stay healthy," Doyeon says.
"Oh, who's this young gentlemen?" she asks and sets her garden hose down before making her way towards the tanned boy.

Doyeon glanced at Kai who smiled at the elder and bowed politely, "My friend," she answers.
The ahjumma laughs and pats Kai's cheek, "I thought he'd be your boyfriend!" Kai's face suddenly feels hot to the thought of being Doyeon's boyfriend.
The girl just smiles and shakes her head, quickly changing the subject. But before she could speak, there's a shout from the store. "Oh, my son is here. You know him right? Suho, the eldest son of mine?" Doyeon nods and smiles, clearly remembering the appearance of the young man who was always kind towards her when she started working at the flower shop as a middle-schooler. "Stay as long as you want, Doyeon. I'll be with my son," the elder said before waddling away from the greenhouse.

The girl turns back to Jongin who was staring at her, "What?" she questions him. Kai flinches. And... Doyeon's back. Sigh. 
Kai only smiles and shakes his head, "Nothing..." He breaks his gaze from the girl and looks around the greenhouse which seems a lot more of a garden. "Why are we here?" he asks as he follows Doyeon around the greenhouse.
She only shrugs, "Just felt like showing you this place. Peaceful, isn't it?" she questions.
Kai takes a moment to inhale the healthy oxygen around them and looks around once more, "Yeah... Very."
Doyeon grabs a watering bin and pours the water over the flowers as she passes by, "I come here a lot... To think." She glances back at Kai and points at him, "There's a bee following you."
Kai blinks, but then chuckles, "Don't joke, Doyeon," he says after not seeing Doyeon's face change. The girl just stares at him, and he gulps, "There really is one?" She nodded. The bee flies near his face, and Kai sees it at the corner of his eye, jumping back and letting out a shriek.
 He steps back after finding the bee had flown away, but towards Doyeon, "Y-yah, the bee's right next to you."

Doyeon just stares at him and shrugs, "Okay," she answers calmly. How is she not scared of a bee?! Kai watches Doyeon as she turns back to watering the plants with the bee still following her. His gaze turns into a stare at her. For once, he noticed how peaceful Doyeon was, even around things that could sting her. He sees her continuing to water the plants. The girl pauses when she feels eyes on her and turns to Kai, both their eyes meeting. But Kai quickly turns his gaze down at his feet, his face glowing red. Dang it... I can't stop... Liking her.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

Here's a more understandable chapter. lmao. sorry. i've been really stressed out.
ps. just reminding you that this isn't a love-hate, not friends now we are, or whatever relationship Doyeon and Kai has. I explained that Kai likes her and I shall continue to make him like her. B|