004.

Echo

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

Kai hugged his pillow as he and Doyeon stared at her TV. The two sat on her bed and watched a random show that seemed to be the only interesting thing on at three in the morning. Kai turned his gaze towards Doyeon whose eyes were open wide, still not tired after spending the whole night and day studying. "Doyeon," Kai said, gaining her attention. "How did you really turn your life into this?"

Doyeon sighed and peeled her eyes away from Kai and back to the TV, "Is my life really that interesting to you?"

Kai smiled and nodded, "Yeah... I'll tell you how my family got rich if you tell me," he says, continuing to smile at his friend.

"Your dad..." Doyeon suddenly says, making Kai's smile disappear. Does she already know? Kai asked himself. "...Became rich like how I did," she muttered. "His family won a lottery and built up a company, right?" Kai blinked multiple times and nodded. She turned back to face Kai, her eyes meeting his, "Although you're not like your dad. Wasn't he some kind of rich jerk?" she asks. Kai replied with a small nod. "You're not a rich jerk who's a son of a rich jerk like how some boys are like, huh?"

Kai smiled at her, letting out a small laugh, "Do I really seem like it? I always thought I was the opposite..." the boy answers. He sighs as he rests his head on Doyeon's shoulder. "I'm just glad that our parents aren't obnoxious like other rich parents... But why are you so cold towards your parents? They told me that you were all smiley and stuff before this all happened. Don't you like having a lot of money?" Kai asked, looking up at the girl.

Doyeon sighed, "What's there to like about having so much money? You're just living the same day every day."

"Not really..." Kai removed his head from Doyeon's shoulder and faced her. "People kinda expect more from the rich you know..."

Doyeon frowned slightly and rested her head on Kai's broad shoulder who smiled down at her, "I know..."

"Are you tired?" he asked, looking down at her. "Sleep."

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

Doyeon woke up the next morning, finding herself tucked in bed. The girl sat up in bed and looked around, squinting her eyes to see clearly. She found a folded blanket and a pillow in the corner of her room. Kai's bag was missing at her desk, along with his school books. Her bedroom door suddenly opens and she finds Kai with a tray of food and a huge grin on his face. "You woke up," Kai said as he sat down on the bed and set the tray in between them. "You hungry?" he asked as he handed his friend a glass of orange juice.

"Why are you back up here?" Doyeon asked. "You should have just stayed downstairs."

"I don't like it when people watch me eat," Kai said with a pout.

"But I'm going to watch you eat-"

"I don't mind if you watch me, I just don't like other people watching me eat," he said, giving her a smile. "Plus, it's much more peaceful up here." The boy watched as Doyeon grabbed a toast from the plate, and dipping a knife into strawberry jam before spreading it all over the toast. She cuts the toast into two and gave a half to Kai. "Oh, today's the weekend. Want to go out?" Kai asked as he munched on his toast.

Doyeon blinked at him, "Shouldn't you be going back home? Your mom is back right?" she asked as she stood up and shuffled towards her bathroom to brush her teeth.

"I don't feel like it," the boy whined. "She just got back from China, which meant my cousins are there, and they annoy the hell out of me. Being with you is better," he admits.

"Guess what," Doyeon said after rinsing her face.

"What?" Kai asked, turning his attention to her.

"I don't like being with you," Doyeon said, making Kai frown. Kai stared at her as she tied her hair up into a ponytail while walking back to the bed, grabbing her part of the toast on the tray. Doyeon glanced up at Kai, finding him staring at her. "What?"

Kai snapped back to reality and cleared his throat while scarfs down the toast. "Nothing," he mumbled.

Doyeon averted her eyes towards her breakfast and sighed, "If you want to be with me today, then we're going to have to follow my parents somewhere."

Kai wiped his mouth with the back of his hand, "Where?"

Doyeon shrugged, "Some other place that I don't care about. Probably another hotel to partner with or something."

Kai smiled, "That's fine. I'll go to keep you company."

There was a knock on Doyeon's door and the two turned their glanced at the door as it opened ajar. Doyeon exhaled and turned her attention back to her orange juice and took a sip while Kai smiled at her mother and politely bowed. "Good morning, Jongin," her mother greeted. Kai's smile turned awkward. Oh, how he hated being called Jongin. "Doyeon, hurry up and get dressed nicely. We'll be leaving in an hour or two," her mother told her.

"Jongin's coming too," Doyeon announced.

"Oh? Well, Jongin, do you mind changing into a new outfit? Since you don't have clothes with you..."

Kai's brows raised, "Uh, sure."

"I'll have some sent to you in a few," her mother said with a smile before leaving.

"You know you don't have to change..." Doyeon said, making Kai glance back at her.

"Why not?" he asked.

"You don't have to do everything she tells you to do."

"Huh?" Kai questioned, confused as ever.

"Why are you doing everything my mom tells you to do?" she questioned as Kai confusingly stared at her. "She told you to bring breakfast up here so she could privately speak to my dad, didn't she? Just now, you think she was just being generous?" Kai stayed silent. "Offering you clothes was just her way of telling you that you poorly dressed, and that your clothes from yesterday smells."

Kai looked down at his polo shirt and pulled the collar up, sniffing it slightly, "Of course it does. I played soccer yesterday. Still, you should listen to your mother and make them happy." Doyeon stared at him. "What?" Kai asked, noticing her cold stare.

"Get out," she suddenly demands.

Kai raises a brow innocently, "What? Why?" he cried.

Doyeon lets out a small laugh, making Kai's face suddenly turn into a shade of red, "I'm going to change you idiot. Are you a ert under all... That?" she questioned, pointing at his face. Kai slightly glared at her and frowned before leaving the room, grumbling. Doyeon slightly smiled before standing back up and walked over to her closet.

Less than an hour later, Doyeon was the first to be fully dressed. She exited her room, and walked down the stairs to the living room where her parents were at, still not dressed properly for their meeting. Her mother looked up as Doyeon settled down on the sofa, finding her in a casual dress, and a very cheap handbag. Her mother raised a brow, "What are you wearing?"

Doyeon looked up at her mother and shrugged, "Clothes?"

Her mother sighed and rolled her eyes, "Did I get you that Louis Vuitton bag last week? Why don't you at least use that?"

"Because I don't want to?" Doyeon said.

Her mother frowned and gave her a stern stare, "Go get it, Doyeon."

The girl sighed before standing up from her seat and trudged up the stairs to her room again. "Wow, Doyeon's all dressed up." Doyeon glanced up, finding Kai in front of her with a huge grin on his face. "Where are you going?" he asked, following Doyeon to her room. He watched as his best friend threw her bag onto her bed and slammed her closet opened. She stood on her tip toes and reached for a yellow bag that was on the top shelf of her closet. Kai walked up beside her and reached up, pulling the bag down for her. "What are you going to do with this?" he asked as Doyeon pulled off the yellow bag that covered her LV handbag.

"Please my mother," she muttered. 

"I thought you didn't like this," Kai said as she handed him her purse while removing her things from the other purse.

"I don't. But I have to make my own mother happy by carrying this crap around all day." Doyeon lets out a huff before looking at Kai from head to toe. "You look good," she commented. "But I liked it when you were in your casual clothing more."

"Why? So we can match?" Kai questioned, grinning as he looked back at his friend from head to toe.

"Don't think such nonsense. You just look less of a jerk than you do now," she admits.

Kai lets out a chuckle as Doyeon stuffs her purse with her belongings before heading out of her bedroom and walked down the stairs together. "Doyeon, wear this too," her mother said, holding up a pair of five inch heels.

Doyeon kept a straight blank face, "If I do that I'd be taller than this idiot," she said, pointing at Kai.

"Just wear them!" her mother said and handed Doyeon the shoes.

The family and Kai soon got into their cars, two separate ones in fact. Kai and Doyeon sat in a car together, which made Doyeon glad. She immediately pulled off her heels and replaced them with flats. The driver started the car, trailing behind her parents car. Their destination would be at least half an hour to get to, and she wanted to sleep. But she sighed, and glanced out the window. Even if she had gotten sleep, it wouldn't make her feel better. "You know you don't have to come..." Doyeon says to Kai as she continued to look out of the window.

Kai just shrugged, "I don't care, really..."

"Hmm," was all the girl said, resting her head on the headrest and closed her eyes as the two returned to silence.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

idek what i'm writing. k. alright guys. today or tomorrow is probably my last day of updating regularly. this weekend, i'll be back in canada with my family, then after monday, i'll need to get back to school & a little bit of work. so hopefully you guys can wait for the updates whenever i have time. c: and hopefully i will have a better chapter for you guys.