003.

Echo

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

A sudden two years later made time go by so slowly for Doyeon. Her pencil moved rapidly across her notebook, as she glanced from her book and back to her notebook. Her brows furrowed as she concentrated on her school work only. She was in study hall, probably the only student left, but at least she was happy with the quiet environment. She suddenly stopped to look at the clock, realizing that it was almost midnight. Doyeon sat in her seat for a while, listening to the clock tick to each second. I'll stay a bit longer, she decided and turned her attention back to her books. Her phone suddenly rang in her pocket and she sighed, grabbing her phone and answered it. "What?" she answers. "I don't want to come home yet. Bye." She hangs up without a thought and starts to write in her notebook again.

"Aren't you tired?" A can of soda was suddenly set down on her desk, making her glance up, seeing her friend in front of her with a grin. He pulled out the chair from in front of her desk and sat in it. "You should be going home, you know."

"You know I don't like to go home, Jongin," Doyeon said, turning her eyes back to her notebook. "My parents aren't like your mother."

"I said call me Kai," he said, and sighed. "But your parents still care about you," Kai said.

"It may seem like it to you, but not to me," Doyeon muttered.

Kai chuckled, "Still, you should at least stop studying," he said. His grin turned into a frown when he found Doyeon still looking at her book. He grabbed her book and closed it. "I said stop," he said, and grabbed her backpack, stuffing the book inside her bag before grabbing her other belongings and shoved them inside as well as the girl just threw a glare at him. "C'mon. I'll treat you a midnight meal," he said, grabbing his best friend's forearm, and pulled her out of her seat and out of the classroom. "Too much studying can hurt you, you know," the boy sang as he dragged Doyeon out of school. "What do you want to eat? A burger, ramen, what?"

Doyeon sighed and rolled her eyes, "I don't care..." she muttered.

"Then we'll eat burgers," he said and slung his arm over Doyeon's shoulders. "You need a little meat anyway," the boy says with a sly grin as he pinches her cheek.

"Keep your hands to yourself and watch what you say," Doyeon said, pushing her friend away.

Kai laughed after being pushed away, "Shouldn't you be saying that to others? I mean, I'm your best friend."

"Shut up," Doyeon tells him before entering a fast food restaurant.

Doyeon sits at a booth as she waits for Kai with their food. She pulls out her book from her bag and starts to read again. Kai tapped his toe as he waited and waited for their meal to come. He glanced back at Doyeon, and smiled as he watched her read, waiting for Kai to return. Kai turned his attention back to the cashier who gave him two cups. The boy walked over to the soda fountain and turned his attention to Doyeon, "Doyeon, what do you want to drink?" Kai asked, raising his voice a little. He's lucky to be standing a few feet away from their table and not be across the restaurant where he'll have to scream. Doyeon gave him a little shrug without removing her eyes from her book. Kai smiled before turning back to the cups, filling them up with soda and ice. He returned to the front, finally receiving his tray of burgers and fries. He grinned as he placed the drinks onto the tray, grabbing the tray and hurried over to his table. "Here it is..." Kai said as he sat down across from his friend.

Doyeon looked up from her book and set it aside, grabbing a small fry from its box, "Shouldn't you be at home, too?" she asked.

"Ugh, I don't want to go home either. It's so boring. Plus, I'm tired of those idiots sticking to me every second just because my mom told them to," Kai said. "I'm not even used to the food that those people serve."

"That's what life is like as a rich jerk, Jongin," Doyeon said with a sigh, grabbing her burger from the other side of the tray. "But you should really just go with it, since your mother worries about you. It's rare love," she muttered.

Kai raised a brow as he took a sip of his drink, "Says the girl who tries to avoid seeing her parents at home. Why do you even try to hide from them, anyway?" he asked. "They're your parents." Doyeon just stayed quiet as she took a small bite of her burger. Kai sighed before taking a big bite of his burger as well. "Oh my god," he said, swallowing down his food, "It's been so long since I had something like this. This is even tastier than medium-rare steaks and mashed potatoes."

"I still don't see why your mom doesn't let you eat these kinds of things," Doyeon mumbled.

"She's just worried that I'll gain weight," Kai said, stuffing a french fry in his mouth. "It won't matter anyway. I work out almost all the time. See?" he said and flexed his arm.

Doyeon just gave him a blank stare, "I see no improvement over these last two years," she answers.

"Tsk." Kai shook his head as he set his arm down and drank his drink, "Out of all people, I still don't see how we're friends."

"You only came to me because I started to become rich," Doyeon simply said, making Kai a tad surprised of her reply.

"Who said that? I don't like people because of their money," Kai said. "Plus, you seemed nice when I first saw you on my first day at school, so..." he started to trail off, glancing elsewhere to hide his colored face. "But you're not even nice," he said.

Doyeon stared at him, "When did you finally realize that?"

"Just now!" he said, sticking his tongue at the girl. "God, I feel like a turtle."

"You even look like one," his friend comments.

"Yah, you're so mean," Kai said, giving Doyeon a pout. "It's hard to believe that you're older than me."

"I'm only a few days older than you," Doyeon said.

Kai shrugged, "Yeah, but I look older, you're just more mature."

Doyeon blinked at the other, "That's almost the same thing, Jongin."

"Stop calling me Jongin," the boy whined.

"No."

Kai laughed at his stubborn friend and watched as she ate. He watched as she took off the bun of her burger and pulled out two tomatoes, one already bitten on, the other still not touched. She reached for Kai's burger that was set on the tray and took off the top bun, putting her tomatoes inside his burger and took out his pickles. Kai chuckled at Doyeon's actions, knowing that she disliked tomatoes but loved pickles, while he liked tomatoes and disliked pickles. "There were pickles in there?" he asked.

Doyeon nodded, "Yeah. You ordered the same thing for me, right?"

"No... I got you chicken, I got beef," Kai said.

"Well every burger has tomatoes and pickles," Doyeon said, taking a bite of her burger again.

Kai grinned, "You're lucky you're my friend, otherwise, I'd throw this burger at you since you already ate part of the tomato."

"So violent," Doyeon calmly commented.

"But seriously," Kai said as he watched Doyeon, "Do you really think I became your friend because you suddenly became rich?" He tilted his head to the side as Doyeon glanced up at him. "I didn't even know that you won a lottery or knew that you had a starving family before I met you," he said. "I became friends with you because I wanted to be your friend," the boy says as he smiles at his best friend. 

Doyeon stares at him before letting out a long sigh, "So where are you going to stay since you're hiding?" she asked Kai, quickly changing the subject.

Kai's smile dropped as he thought out loud, "Let's see... Uhm, your place," the boy said with a serious look on his face.

"No," Doyeon answered.

Kai frowned, "Why not?" Doyeon decides to avoid the question and sips on her soda. "Fine, I'll ask your parents if I could stay over," he said and quickly snatched Doyeon's phone away that was on the table. Doyeon sighs as she throws a glare at the young boy.

Their midnight meal quickly ended and the two started to walk back to Doyeon's house. Kai stuffed his hands in his pant pockets, looking cool as he walks beside Doyeon. Doyeon stared ahead as the two both walked, feeling the cool autumn's breeze against their skin. Kai glanced over his shoulder, literally finding the streets empty, and he lets out a chuckle, "Aren't there usually people here out at this time?" Kai asked. "This place is so empty," he muttered as he looked around. The boy grew silent after realizing that Doyeon stayed quiet. "Yah, are you mad that your parents are letting me stay over?" Kai asked, poking the girl's cheek. No response. Kai smiled and exhaled.

Kai and Doyeon had been friends for two years. To Doyeon, she found it shocking how she could suddenly receive a friend, especially a guy as a friend. But sometimes she wondered why Kai wanted to be her friend. Was it because she suddenly became rich, or was it because he just really wanted to become friends with her? Even though Kai has told her many times that he just wanted to become friends with her, she couldn't help but not believe what he says, fearing that he wanting to be her friend because she was rich was true. But the girl kept shut every time. Although she doubted her friendship with Kai, she was still happy that he was her friend. At least now she had someone to talk to, or maybe let out her feelings to whenever she was sad or happy. But she still found it weird how the guy never hung around his male friends, but kept close to her for so long, even if she rejected him in the beginning.

A sudden brush across the back of her hand snapped her out of her thoughts and found the back of Kai's hand brushing against hers. His fingers grabbed hers, and started to lace together, but Doyeon suddenly pulls her hand back, pushing them into her blazer pockets, leaving Kai with a redden face and awkwardly stuffing his hand back in his pocket. One thing that Doyeon knew about her relationship with Kai, was that he liked her. He knew that she knew, but never got the guts to let out his true feelings. Doyeon was the one who just shrugged off the thought of Kai liking her and continued with her life.

"You're just staying for one night, right?" Doyeon asked as she enters the giant mansion.

"I'll stay longer if you want," Kai said as he followed her up the stairs to her room.

"Don't bother. Once your mom finds out that you're staying over and no guards around, she'll be angry, Jongin," Doyeon said as the two stepped inside her room and placed their bags on the ground. 

"Does that sentence mean that Doyeon cares about Kai?" Kai asked, slyly grinning as he sat at her desk.

Doyeon sighed and pulled out a blanket and pillow from her closet, throwing it at Kai, "Shut up and go to sleep," she said before pushing him away from her desk.

Kai watched as Doyeon sat down in her desk, pulling out her book again and the boy sighed, "Yah, don't tell me you're going to study again." The girl just ignored him.  Kai grabbed a small stool from her closet and set it beside her, settling down on the chair before grabbing his bag and pulled out his book. "Since you're staying up, I will too," he said, grinning at her before looking down at his book.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

confused? e u e yeah, that's what i was aimming for. haha.