Chapter 19 - A Piece of Memory

Time Flies

“Wae? You’re not feeling well?” Yoona asked worriedly when they were walking through the school’s corridor, after having a lunch. She asked in worry tone because Jonghyun just finished his second theraphy yesterday. Well, actually there’s no a significant difference than the first time, he still couldn’t recall his memory even for a little but Doctor Han said that it should be that way, there’s no need to hurry, especially with what happened on Jonghyun last time he experienced the theraphy in short time.

“Nowadays, even I’m just grimacing, all of you started to tell me to get sick…” Jonghyun grumbled. “I’m just grimacing, Im Yoongie. Because I’m feeling too full.”

“But it seems like you’re hurt.” Yoona insisted. “Don’t overwork yourself, Jongie.”

“Nee.” Jonghyun said diligently, while still playing game on his phone.

“Yoona!”

Both of them turned around when someone called and found Seohyun approached them. “Hey, I’m sorry, I want to ask your permission to absent for today’s practice.”

“Practice? What practice?” Jonghyun butted in bluntly.

“Cheerleader thing, you won’t get it.” Yoona explained him. “It’s okay, Hyun. But you’ll come tomorrow, right?”

“Yes, just for today. Yonghwa oppa is free this afternoon so we’ll have a date. That’s why… but I promise I won’t absent anymore.” Seohyun make a promise sign with her fingers. “Thank you, Yoona.” She waved at Yoona and bowed her head at Jonghyun before she left them.

“You guys are still practicing?” Jonghyun asked while furrowing his eyebrows. “For what?”

“Last match for the final year students, remember?”

“But last match will be held after final exam, Yoongie. Which is… there are still around four months to go…”

“Yes, but starting next month, we wont have any spare time again rather than study like hell. So, we’re creating the movements first and memorized it… so after the final exam, we’re only need to practice a little and we’re ready. Isn’t band club also still practicing?”

“No, not yet for the final year student. We visited the practice room once in a week but only to show the juniors’ practice.” Jonghyun shook his head. “You’re going to shake your hips again in front of the entire school?” he frowned.

“Yya, told you not to say it like that.” Yoona glared at him.

Jonghyun sighed. “Well, that will be the last performance from final year student, right? Then I’ll let you to do that. For the last time. Don’t ever dream to do it anymore.”

“Why??”

“Why? Yya, andwae.” Jonghyun grumbled. “Show it only to me.” He said nonchalantly and continued to play the game while walking.

“So childish…” Yoona can’t help but smile over his reaction.

 

* * *

“Is Jonghyun sick?” Yuri asked suddenly. It was weekend and Yuri was there at Yoona’s home, as usual.

“Why, unnie?” Yoona asked back while reading the English textbook.

“A few days ago I saw him at LE Hospital. I was there to visit my friend who got a thypus fever…” Yuri explained. “Actually I also saw you, but you’re talking with Chairman’s wife. And also, I was with many friends, I don’t think it’s a good idea to call you and gain attentions.”

“Oh you were there too, Unnie… Actually he was doing some theraphy…” Yoona honestly answered, since she knew Yuri won’t blabber about Jonghyun’s privacy to other people.

“For what??”

“Bring his memories back.”

“Aaah… I see…” Yuri nodded in understand. “By the way, I have searched a lot about his family, I mean his blood-related family. You know, the first year college is not as busy as we thought…” she added while chuckling.

“What did you get, unnie?” Soojung butted in, looks interested. Well, she always interested of anything about Jonghyun. She said that it was such a miracle of knowing someone ‘big’ such as Jonghyun and his family.

“Most of all already told by Yoona to us before…” Yuri said while scrolling her phone screen. “But I just knew that he lived in Japan before. Then, how come he met you that time, Yong?”

“That’s an unanswered question until now…” Yoona shrugged her shoulder. “He also didn’t know why he was in Seoul that time. I mean, even the accident happened in Japan, in the same year when we met. It means, he went back to Japan not that long after we met.”

“How about his house in Japan, then?”

“The house is the one that I visited when I went there. After the accident, all the assets of Jonghyun’s parents were given to Jonghyun, through his parents—I mean, the present parents. Including the house. They lived there, because they didn’t want to make Jonghyun feel like losing his parents more and more. Some of his blood-related parents’ things are still remained there. The rests were donated, with Jonghyun’s approval. Even in the living room, the pictures of both family are there, side by side. Even the picture with four of them, taken after Jonghyun was born, with his real Mom and his present Mom held him together. Such a warm-hearted picture.” Yoona smiled as she recalled back her memory when she and Jonghyun were in Japan. She remembered that Jonghyun always spent a few minutes to look at the picture, everytime he passed by.

“It must be frustrating for him… he could only remember his parents’ face by the picture… not from his own memory…” Soojung commented in concerned tone.

“Yes. He is.” Yoona nodded. “Soojung, open the door.”

“Huh? Why suddenly?”

“Because I just heard the sound of familiar sport motorcycle outside and it must be him.” Yoona said, and she was right, the doorbell is already ringing.

“Wow, you two surely can communicate through telepathy… Just get married faster!” Soojung commented as she walked to open the door. “Unnie, Jonghoon oppa is here also.” She shouted from the living room, and followed with the presence of them.

“Hello, oppa. Long time no see.” Yoona waved at Jonghoon. “How come both of you come together?”

“We already promised since last week to go to a music store. And turn out, we have the same destination after that.” Jonghyun is the one who answered, after he greeted Yuri, and seated himself beside Yoona. “Oh you’re studying?”

“Yeah, since I’m so weak in English, I have to give more time to study this.” Yoona sighed.

“You two are pursuing overseas college, right?” Jonghoon asked. “Will you two marry before going to college?” he asked in teasing tone.

“I want to.” Jonghyun answered bluntly, made Yoona jawdropped—even Yuri and Soojung. “But Yoongie said if people get married before college, the others might think that the girl is pregnant. What a lame reason.”

“Yya, it’s not a lame reason!” Yoona slapped Jonghyun’s arm. “People will really think like that.” She said with blusing face, while Jonghoon, Yuri and Soojung held their laughter so hard.

“Then don’t get pregnant yet. We can ask the doctor to help us to prevent it from happening so early, right?” he still said with blunt expression.

“Here, eat candy and shut up.” Yoona shoved a lollipop to his mouth to prevent him from saying any shocking statement anymore which will make her more and more embarrassed.

“How if Yoona still don’t want to do it for now, Jonghyun? Will you wait until she graduated?” Yuri asked in amused tone.

“I will, sunbae. I don’t have any choice.” Jonghyun said in firm tone, although with still blunt expression.

“Don’t say such things so easily… How if you fall in love with another girl in college later?” Yoona muttered, feels sad just with the thought of Jonghyun with other girl.

“Then just marry me before college starts.”

“He’s absolutely right!!” Yuri, Jonghoon and Soojung said in unison, full of smile.

 

* * *

“Hey, don’t you want to grab some lunch?”

Jonghyun, who was reading a comic, while lying on the bench, raised his head a little and found that Yoona is also there, in the rooftop of their school building. The rooftop actually is one of Jonghyun’s favorite place. He usually spent the break time there by reading some comics or lying on the bench there while enjoying the wind and the view which shows green hills behind their school. Since their school is intentionally built with the green nature surrounded and far from the busy city view.

“I’m still full. I even ate your breakfast this morning,” Jonghyun said lazily while continue to read the comic as Yoona walked approaching him. “Have you?”

Yoona nodded and sat on the green floor, leaning her right side on the bench side while facing Jonghyun, who was still lying. “I really love this spot… It was like we’re in the middle of rural areas, not in crowded city…”

“It’s the best time right now, especially when the sky is cloudy like this…” Jonghyun mumbled while keep reading. “It exactly like the weather on our first meeting ten years ago…”

“Huh?? You remembered it??”

“Not sure.” Jonghyun shook his head. “You know I wrote about our first meeting in my notebook very detailed, right? I don’t know if it’s from my memories or perhaps just an imagination from what I’ve described in my notes…” he mumbled. “Say, Yoongie…”

“Hm?”

“What if… after all of these theraphies… I still can’t regain my memories back?” Jonghyun’s voice became lower. “What if… I won’t ever remember any memories with my parents…”

Yoona stared at him with concerned expression. She knew how much he wanted to recall all of his memories and get rid of the nightmares that always came to him. And hearing him… for the first time, Yoona noticed that he just sound a bit afraid. “Is it getting bad? When you’re sleeping?” she asked carefully.

“A bit…” Jonghyun nodded. “The feeling when I wake up after that dream is worse than before. It feels like… real… more real than before…”

“Have you told Doctor Han?”

“I did. Ahjussi said that it’s the impact of my theraphy, some of my blurred memories will become clearer… although the feeling is also getting stronger… no matter if it’s bad or good…” Jonghyun grimaced.

“Do you want to stop?”

“No.” Jonghyun shook his head. “I don’t want to. I still want to continue. I can bear it, Yoongie.”

“Then you have to believe that there will be a good result.” Yoona gave him a reassuring smile. “You’ve tried so hard and you always gave your best everytime you did the theraphy… so I believe we will see a good result. And you have to keep that in mind.”

“I’m afirad, to be honest.”

“Afraid of what?”

Jonghyun closed his eyes while still lying and facing the cloudy sky. “That… I’m the cause of the accident…” he mumbled.

“You what?!” Yoona asked in disbelief. “Yya, you shouldn’t say something like that! Of course you aren’t!! Why you’re thinking like that?”

“Sometimes it came across my mind… I’m the only one who survived from that accident…”

“But it doesn’t mean that you’re the cause, Jongie. Stop talking like that.” Yoona said in a hurry. Beside, you’re the one who told me that actually the accident happened because of another car who lost control because of overspeed and bumped your car in the intersection. But since they also dead that time, so your family agreed not to file any lawsuit towards their family…”

“I know…” Jonghyun mumbled again. “But now I remember that my Dad was a good driver—I just remembered it during my fourth theraphy. When I was young, I always watched him doing his hobbies, one of them is driving on the circuit. He even has the license. I mean, he was that good… but why he couldn’t avoid the accident? Isn’t it strange? Then… I have this thought… what if, something or someone is distracting him? Perhaps… is it me?”

“No, that’s impossible.” Yoona shook her head. “Even a professional racer couldn’t avoid the accident, Jongie.” She tried to make him feel reassured. “So, your assumption is not rational at all.” She caressed Jonghyun’s hairs softly. “Please put that thought away from your head, okay? Or I’ll be angry if you were turning so irrational like this…”

“What will you do if you’re angry towards me?” Jonghyun suddenly asked in serious tone.

“Well… I can do many things. Let me think… uhm, perhaps, going out with a guy whom just asked me to have a date this Sunday?”

Jonghyun furrowed his eyebrows. “Which guy?”

“Someone from other class.”

“Let me see him! How dare he ask you to have a d—“ he’s about to get up in a hurry but Yoona stopped him by holding his shoulder.

“You don’t have to see him. I’m afraid you will pick a fight again and I don’t want to be caught by theachers again. I’ll reject it if you put away that stupid thought.” She glared at Jonghyun. “Agree?’

Jonghyun stared at Yoona, still look a bit pissed off, then finally nodded before he started to lie on the bench again. “Remember to tell him that you already have me, Yoongie! And tell him to stay away, or else, I’ll make sure to give him some lessons so he won’t ever dare to disturb other people’s girl.”

Yoona rolled her eyes but she was smiling. “Nee… nee…”

 

* * *

“We’re going to Seoul tomorrow!!”

“Seoul?”

“Yes, Seoul. It’ll be fun there. That’s a beautiful place.”

“The same Seoul that we visited two months ago, Dad?”

“Yes. It’s our house in Seoul.”

“Wow…” the twelve-years-old boy clapped his hands happily. “I can meet Yoongie again!!”

“Yoongie?”

“Yes.” That young boy nodded while smiling. “Yoongie.”

 

* * *

“You’re not sleeping yet, son?” Lee Ha Ni asked when she found that his son is still sitting on the veranda of his room. Seems like lost in his own world.

Jonghyun shook his head in a hurry when he saw his Mom is there without he realized it. “No, omma. I’m just taking some ‘quiet and relax’ time after studying.”

Lee Ha Ni his son’s hairs lovingly. “It must be hard for the final year high school student. You have to stay healthy, okay? But why you’re studying alone tonight? Usually you studied along with Yoona in her house.”

“She has a dance practice today and she was very tired since this maybe their last practice before they focused on studying. She’s about to faint as soon as she arrived on her house.” Jonghyun grimaced. “Although she insisted to study, but I told him to get some rests for today, omma.”

“Aah I see…” Lee Ha Ni nodded in understand. “Then just call me when you’re going to sleep, okay?”

Jonghyun nodded and watched until his mom left the room and he’s back to what he just did before. To be honest, he was thinking of something. Something that keep came on his mind lately. Something that Yoona said that it’s just his delusional thought.

One thing that he didn’t tell Yoona—yet…” Jonghyun sighed. It’s not a random or delusional thought… It appeared in his memories… The last voice that he heard before the accident happened following with the screams… the last voice which still sounds happy… is his Dad’s…

and his voice…

 

 

 

 


hello again

sorry for the short chapter

and thank you so much for still read this story :) thank you for all comments and upvotes also. I read those all ^^ thank you

see y next chapter