Chapter 18 - Be Brave

Time Flies

“Hypnotheraphy??”

Jonghyun nodded as his Appa, his Omma and his Grandfather were looking at him with worry expression. “Let me try it once again, omma. It’s been a long time after the last one.”

“What did Doctor Han said, Jongie?” this time, his grandfather asked.

“Well… ahjussi has to check and examine me before I can do it. But the very first thing is I have to get the permission from all of you, omma, appa, haraboji.” Jonghyun stared one by one to his family. “I know all of you must feel so worry. But I promise I’ll stop if I couldn’t manage it. This time, I won’t hurt myself…” Jonghyun explained. “And if omma, appa and haraboji agreed, I want to do it before I started to study like hell as I'm a 3rd year high school student right now.”

“But Jongie…”

“Omma…” Jonghyun approached his mom and sat beside her. He hugged his mom’s shoulder. “Don’t be so worry like this, okay? I’ll be fine, omma. Omma should believe me.”

“Give him a chance, yeobo.” This time, Lee Nam Gyu spoke up. “But, Jongie, listen to Appa. I don’t want to see my adeul is dying again. We don’t want to lose you, son. Promise me?”

Jonghyun nodded. “I promise.”

“Promise us that you’ll be fine, Jongie. Or I won’t give you that Lamborgini as your birthday gift one year later.”

“Okay, I promise!” Jonghyun said in a hurry. “Haraboji, remember, I want the white one.” He added while whispering to his grandfather.

 

* * *

 

“You know, the 3rd year just started two weeks ago but I feel like I’m getting thinner every day.” Jonghyun grumbled as he and Yoona have a lunch together in cafetaria. “Imagining, soon we have to stay until midnight at school every day! And with Donghae hyung and Yonghwa hyung graduated, the band club is not that fun as before...”

Yoona just smiled upon hearing Jonghyun’s words. Yup, it’s because they’re already in 3rd year, they really have to spend most of their time for studying. “But isn’t Minhyuk joining the band club?” she asked, since Soojung and Minhyuk just got accepted into Seoul International High School.

“Yes.” Jonghyun nodded. “Minhyuk is fun, of course. And fortunately he’s here so I won’t get bored at all. But it’ll be more fun if Yonghwa and Donghae hyung were there.”

“Then you can enter Seoul University…” Yoona said while holding her smile, knowing it will make him slightly annoyed since he ever said that it’ll be fun if he, Yonghwa, Donghae and Minhyuk could be together again in college. Yonghwa and Donghae successfully enrolled in Seoul University. But as for him, he already said that he won’t go there.

“Aish, it’s annoying.” Jonghyun pouted. “Oh, but I might also can enter it if Harvard rejected me,” he added while grimacing.

“Yya, it won’t happen. You always topped the school rank, and not to mention how perfect your score is.” Yoona calmed him down. “I think Harvard will gladly accepted you as their college student.”

“You’re still pursuing Parsons, right?” Jonghyun asked back while blowing his noodle.

“I am. But I don’t know the result later. And hopefully I can get a full scholarship.”

“You already got.”

“Huh? Got what??”

“Full scholarship for college.”

Yoona stopped her activity from eating. “From where?”

“Lee Foundation.”

“Based on what???”

“Based on your scores, Im Yoongie.” Jonghyun frowned as he feels that Yoona didn’t even need to ask that kind of question. “You’re already in the list.”

Yoona stared at Jonghyun, feeling suspicious. Actually, she aimed that one, the scholarship from Lee Foundation for the students who wanted to study especially in overseas. And she thought that her score is good enough, even their homeroom teacher said like that. Lee Foundation always gave the full scholarship for their students who got a very good score during school. Yuri, Yonghwa and Donghae are also got it. But still, she has to make sure that there’s no ‘jonghyun factor’ in that decision. “You’re not bribing our Chairman, right? Or our Foundation owner?”

Jonghyun furrowed his eyebrows, looks slightly annoyed. “Yya, do you think I’m—and you’re—that low?”

“It means No. Yes, I’m happy.” Yoona clapped her hands happily. “Did I really get the scholarship?? Jinjja?? Jinjja?? For any school, right? So, I can choose Parsons, right???” she asked, full of excitement.

Jonghyun rolled his eyes. “Happy now?”

“Of course!!!” Yoona grinned widely. “How about y—ah, you don’t need scholarship at all.” She grimaced, realizing that actually the scholarship came from this blunt guy’s family. “You have to help me to get pass through Parsons!”

“Study properly! Stop dancing on the floor.” Jonghyun said while taking a sip of his coke.

“Dancing on the fl—Yya!!” Yoona slapped his shoulder when she realized what he just said. “Yya! It’s not dancing on the floor!! It’s what the cheerleader do!! You made it sounds like I often went to club and dance there! Ugh, just shut up and eat your lunch properly!”

“But it’s true that you guys shake your hip—“ Jonghyun shut his mouth suddenly when he saw the deadly glare from Yoona. “Arasseo. Arasseo. I’ll eat quietly.”

* * *

 

“How’s your feeling?” Yoona asked with worry expression.

Jonghyun just smiled calmly. “I’m fine. Stop acting like Omma.” He grimaced when he got the glare from his mother who sat not that far from them. “I’m fine.” He waved his hands cutely to his family and Yoona, who were sitting and standing beside his bed.

That day is Sunday. Jonghyun’s first day to try the hypnotheraphy again. Since they didn’t know what will happen, so for Jonghyun’s safety, they will do it at Lee Grand Hospital. And right now they are there already. His mom, dad, grandfather and also Yoona. They’re waiting anxiously at the VVIP Patient’s room, while the one who will do the theraphy is in contrast, sitting leisurely on the bed while playing game on his phone, and sometimes have to calm his family and Yoona.

Suddenly the door was knocked, following with Doctor Han and two nurses. Doctor Han have a warm greeting and a small talk with Jonghyun’s family before he started to examine Jonghyun. “How’s your feeling, Jonghyun?” he asked while examine Jonghyun’s blood pressure.

“I’m fine. The others are not. They’re too worry.” Jonghyun’s answer made him got a small pat on his head by Lee Ha Ni.

“I need to give you a shot first before we started. Are you okay?”

Jonghyun nodded and offered his left arm. He looks totally relaxed even after the shot is completed.

“Okay, we need to wait for a few mins then we can start.” Doctor Han then turned to the other. “Let me show you the observe room.” He lead the others to went out and heading to the observe room since they are not allowed to be there when the doctors are performing the theraphy. They all gave Jonghyun a hug before they left him. Yoona even can feel that her hands as cold as Lee Ha Ni’s hands since she’s holding hers right now as they’re already watching him from the observe room. She knew that Jonghyun’s family probably thousand times feels more worry than her since they had a bad result of Jonghyun’s last time hypnotheraphy.

“Please look after him, Kyung Min.” Jonghyun’s grandfather told Doctor Han before he left.

“I will, Sir.” Doctor Han nodded and excused himself. In next few seconds, he’s already in Jonghyun’s room. “You can close your eyes if you want. It will be easier for us.” He told Jonghyun who now is leaning on the bedhead leisurely.

Yoona watched as Doctor Han started to give him some instructions, although she didn’t really understand but she thought it probably to make him feels at ease. The three monitors were showing his heartbeat, and the other one seems like showing his brain pattern or something like that, and the other one, Yoona actually didn’t understand. She just paid fully attention at Jonghyun who is sitting leisurely on the bed, while leaning on the wall behind him, with closed eyes. She even didn’t know whether he’s sleeping or not, but the other doctor who accompanied them there said that he’s in the phase between sleep and not.

“Can you back to your memory a year ago?”

Jonghyun, still with his closed eyes, started to speak, more like mumbling. “Yes. I’m seeing it right now.”

“What did you see?”

“My school… Kei… A-kun…”

“How about your memory in your first day at junior high?”

“My parents dropped me in front of the school. And two boys looked at me while whispering… they followed me until the gate, and introducing himself…”

Doctor Han paused a little, looking at the monitors for a while and wrote something on his iPad, before he continued to speak again. “How about when you’re in 5th grade?”

“I… Wait…” Jonghyun’s voice is getting lower, sometimes he even furrowed his eyebrows. “Uhm… and…” he furrowed his eyebrows more, and it makes the one of the monitors started to show the light red alert.

“Imo, w—what happened?” Yoona asked with shaky voice.

“It’s a sign that he’s trying to force his brain to remember the memory. It’s still an early stage of alert. But since this is his first attempt, I think Doctor Han won’t force him too much.” That doctor explained.

“You don’t have to force it. Just remember it slowly.” Doctor Han spoke again while keep watching the monitor intensely. “Relax, Jonghyun.” He said with calm tone but the monitors keep showing a red alert. “Lee Jonghyun.”

“It’s so blur. I can’t see anything.” Jonghyun sounds a bit frustrated.

“It’s okay. Don’t force it. Relax, Jonghyun.” Doctor Han still tried to talk with him with calm voice, but the monitors didn’t change at all. He signaled the nurse to prepare something as he stood up and holding Jonghyun’s shoulder. “You can hear me, Jonghyun? I need you to stop recall your memory. You have to sleep. It’s time to sleep.” He patted Jonghyun’s shoulder softly. “Jonghyun, you can relax. Relax. Leave it. We will call more memories later. You can sleep now.”

Slowly, the alert on the monitors changed into a yellow and finally into a green one, back to normal again. But Jonghyun didn’t open his eyes, from what Yoona heard, he fell asleep, and it was normal.

Doctor Han entered the Observation Room in the next minute.

“He’s sleeping.” Doctor Han informed them. “He handled it so well. You should be proud of him.” He smiled. “I’m also proud of him. He really changed a lot since the last time he did it.”

“But what’s with the red alert, Kyung Min?”

“It’s normal, Ha Ni.” Doctor Han answered, made Yoona noticed that Doctor Han and Jonghyun’s family must be very close because Doctor Han also called Jonghyun’s parents by name, except to Jonghyun’s grandfather, which he still addressed him as ‘Sir’. “It’s because he forced himself, but it’s not that danger for him, it’s still in normal range. He’s very relaxed. “It’s been a few years, I can’t believe he’s changed a lot. He looks much more mature.”

“It’s because he already found his Yongie.” Lee Ha Ni said as she smiled and hugged Yoona’s shoulder.

Doctor Han stared at Yoona with surprised look, but also with a big smile on his face. “I think I already expected it. When he came to see me, he brought her. And that time my thought is, is she the girl that he’s been dreaming of since he was little? If not, he won’t act so bravely like right now’.” He said as his smile is getting wider. “Jonghyun choose a very beautiful girl since he was young. He has a good eyesight.” He cracked a joke, following with a laughter from the others, along with Yoona. “I think you have a very big impact to his hypnotheraphy, Miss—uhm what should I call you?”

“Im Yoona, Doctor.” Yoona politely smiled.

“Don’t call her Yoongie. He might wake up and glared at you.” Ha Ni pointed with her chin to Jonghyun who was still sleeping peacefully on the other room.

“So possessive.” Doctor Han laughed. “By the way, you can give him ten or fifteen minutes to sleep. Let his brain rest a little. And I think it’s fine for him to continue in next two weeks.”

“How much the probability of it’s going to be successful, Kyung Min?” asked Jonghyun’s grandfather.

“If he maintained this good condition, physically and emotionally, 70%, Sir.” Doctor Han answered. “It can be increase or decrease, depends on his condition day by day. And I promise I won’t continue if his condition is not fully supported.”

“Thank you, Kyung Min.” Lee Nam Gyu patted Doctor Han’s shoulder. “Please take care on him, also.”

“I am, and always. He is also my boy.” Doctor Han smiled.

* * *

Few Days Later.

“Hooh… it’s so rare to see your expression is so serious like this when you’re not doing anything.” Jonghyun’s grandpa said as he found his grandson was sitting alone in the balcony. It’s already late night when he wanted to accompany his grandson until he fall asleep but he couldn’t find him in his room that’s why he was searching and found a rare sight. “Usually you only showed this kind of serious expression when you’re angry or studying.” He continued to speak as he sat beside Jonghyun.

“Haraboji.” Jonghyun straightened his seat, looks surprised with his grandfather’s appearance. “You should take a rest now. It’s getting late.”

“Do I look like an unhealthy grandfather?” his grandpa putting a fake angry expression and laughed together with Jonghyun. “What’s wrong with you, Jongie? You look has so many thought.”

“Anii… I was just… thinking about Yoongie…”

“Yoona? Wah, this is the best. My grandson finally had a thought about girl for the first time…” his grandpa looks so happy as he laughed. “What’s the matter about Yoona, then? I thought there’s nothing wrong since you looked extremely happy whenever you’re with her…”

“Yes… but actually I have a question since a while ago…”

“What is that?”

“What is love, actually, haraboji?” Jonghyun asked straightly, makes his grandpa looks even more surprised since this is the first time his grandson talked about love when they were talking about someone, usually he only said the love words if it’s about family. “Omma and Appa ever said that if you wanted to ask someone to be your girlfriend, then make sure that you love her, not only like her…”

“And they are right.”

“But I don’t understand, haraboji. I mean, I know that I love Haraboji, Halmeoni, Dong Gun appa, Hae Ra omma, Nam Gyu appa, and Ha Ni omma. But I think I couldn’t say the same for other person.”

“How about Yoongie? You don’t love her?”

“I don’t know. I can say that I really love the family because family is already here and welcomed me when I was born. Family gives me so much love and I couldn’t find anything to do to show my thankful except to love them all from the bottom of my heart. But, if it’s someone else… I mean, Yoongie… Yoongie is someone that I’ve just met. Let’s say that we met since little but still, how can people fall in love with someone that we even couldn’t make sure if she loves me too or not…”

His grandfather smiled secretly as he heard Jonghyun’s story. It’s not about he didn’t love her, it’s about he just didn’t want if it’s one sided love. Because he already fall for Yoona and she really needs her to be on his side… He’s just too innocent to realize it. “Love is something that we couldn’t describe in words, Jongie. But you can feel it inside you.” He smiled. “Let me ask you some question then if you’re still confused. Did Yoona ever feel happy?”

“Of course.”

“How do you feel then when you see that?”

“Well… I feel the same. I mean, she’s happy because of something good, of course I feel the same way too, haraboji.”

“Then, did she ever feel sad?”

“Uhm… she ever cried in front of me…” Jonghyun mumbled, try to remember when Yoona was crying in the hospital because she thought Jonghyun was angry on her.

“And what’s on your mind when you saw her like that?”

“Don’t laugh at my answer, haraboji. But that was strange! At that time, I really wanted to cry too. I felt so sad just by seeing her cry.  Although I didn’t know why I suddenly wanted to cry too. It’s strange, isn’t it?”

“No… It’s not strange at all.” His grandpa shook his head while smiling. “How often you’re thinking about family, Jongie?”

“Everytime. There’s no, even for a second that I erased my thought about family. Never.” Jonghyun said firmly.

“Then how often you’re thinking about Yoona?”

“It’s… honestly, I couldn’t get rid her from my mind ever since I met her—I mean, when I met her again for the second time.”

“Did you ever feel sorry about something that you’ve done for her?”

“Yes. I do feel sorry because sometimes I think I didn’t do my best for her when she should deserve it.”

“How about the good things that you’ve done for her? Do you regret it?”

“Good thing? If something like kissed her or having fun with her can be counted as a good thing, then I never regret even for a second.”

“Okay, last question, Jongie. Have you ever had a thought about your future with her?”

“Yes.” Jonghyun nodded. “Don’t laugh please, but I don’t think that I will choose another girl except Yoongie to be with me, even until I’m getting so old and rest forever, I never thought of any person to be with me except family and her…” he suddenly stopped talking as he looks realized something. “Haraboji! I think I have the same feeling for her and for family… no, not exactly same. It’s different but in the same level… Oh, how should I explain it? It’s difficult. Let’s say that there is a highest level in my heart. It filled by family, of course. But also filled with Yoongie. Although they are on the same level, the highest one, but Yoongie’s place is a bit different with family’s place. Can you understand what I mean, haraboji?”

His grandpa smiled widely. “Of course I understand. That is the same feeling that I have for your halmeoni. That is the same feeling that your Appa has for your Omma, and vice versa.”

“So does haraboji say that I love her?”

“The answer is belong to yourself, my handsome grandson.” His grandpa patted Jonghyun’s shoulder. “But I suppose you to take a rest for now. You can think again about this next morning when you’re still in clear and fresh mind. I bet you’ll find the answer very soon.”

“I think so.” Jonghyun nodded and got up. “It’s like a tangled thread right now…” he mumbled. “And sleep is a best thing to do for now. Please stay until I fell asleep, haraboji…”

“Of course. As always.” His grandpa chuckled. “But Jongie, I think Yoona is not the only matter for you. Is there anything that bother you? Your memory?”

Jonghyun shook his head and smiled. “That’s all. For now.”

* * *

 

“We’re going to Seoul!”

“Seoul?”

“Yes, Seoul. It’ll be fun there. That’s a beautiful place.”

 

 

 

 


hello

yes as you can see, I started to update almost all of my abandoned stories., this one also included.

i dont know whether people are still reading this or not, I'll still continue it until finished.

thank you so much.

and see ya next chapter.