Chapter 9

Umma, Saranghaeyo...

Tiffany was done talking to her 'umma' on the phone so she rejoined Yoong and his mother.

 

"Mom, where's dad?" asked Yoong. He and his father had something very important to discuss.

 

His mother answered, "He went on a business trip this morning so it'll be just us three." 

 

"Then where's Krystal?"

 

"She's spending the night at Jinri's." 

 

Yoong didn't like that. He had a feeling that that boy was a little ert and he didn't want his baby sister haning around the young boy.

 

His mother knew how over protective he can be so she says, "Don't worry, Yoong. I had a little talk to Jinri already. He's not a ert like what you told me." Jessica chuckled.

 

Yoong still felt insecure.

 

"I'm going to the bathroom." he excused himself and left his mom and friend alone in the living room.

 

After Yoong left, Jessica felt awkward being alone with Tiffany. 

 

Jessica cleared and Tiffany stopped moving her foot and looked at Jessica.

 

"So, tell me about yourself, Tiffany-shi." Jessica was eagar to know how Tiffany was doing.

 

"There's not really much about me to tell." Tiffany replied and played with her fingers.

 

Jessica wasn't going to give up.

 

She had an idea of how she can make Tiffany speak and tell her about herself.

 

"How about I tell you about myself first then you tell me about yourself? Sound like a deal?" she asked.

 

Tiffany hesitated but nodded.

 

She didn't want to upset Yoong's mother.

 

"Great! Okay. Well, Firstly, Yoong is not my biological son. I re-married his father when he was eight years old. Then many years after that, we had our first daughter together. Her name is Krystal and Yoong is really over-protective of her. He's got his father's genes for sure." Jessica smiled then continued. "Yul is Yoong's father and if you saw him, you'll see that Yoong has Yul's looks. Yul is a business man and I am a fashion model. I'm 34 years old and Yul is 40."

 

Tiffany nodded from time to time as she listened to Jessica's story.

 

"When I was young, I've made lots of wrong choices and now, I regret them... alot." Jessica looks at Tiffany with a sad expression. "Now, it's your turn to tell me about yourself." said Jessica.

 

She wanted to know everything about Tiffany even though she knew that it might her hurt.

 

"I..I have a Korean name... it's M..Miyoung..." said Tiffany. Jessica smiled bitterly. She was the one who came up with the name for her daughter.  "My father is Kim Taeyeon." 

 

'I know.' thought Jessica. 

 

"And I used to have an umma.. I loved her. She was like the best mom in the whole world. She would take care of me when dad was at work and sing me to sleep. But then she left when I was just 6 years old." Tiffany looked down to hide her tears but Jessica still saw and she, too was crying . They both sat down on seperate couches which were across from eachother so they were facing eachother.

 

"I thought, "How could my own mother leave me? Did she not love me anymore?" I asked my dad and he said that she was happy somewhere else. Then as I grew older, I started to understand more about everything. I learned that my parents were divorced and that my mother who I loved so much left me and my father for another man and his family..  I...." Jessica gulps, afraid of what was going to come out of Tiffany's mouth next. "I hate that woman and I never want anything to do with her anymore." Jessica felt her heart shatter hearing that come from her own daughter's mouth.

 

"W..What if you meet her again?" asked Jessica.

 

"I will tell her that she's not my mom anymore and that she should stay away from me and my dad. She hurt us for too long. Did you know? When I was in school, I've been picked on. Everyone's always saying that I was a mistake. They said that my appa was heartless. They said that he didn't cry even after she left because he was only after her money! That made me angry because my father was not heartless! He cried everynight.. although he tried to act strong in front of me.. The teachers always pick on me because they hated my appa. The other students made fun of me because I had no mom.. but then after junior highschool, I went to highschool. I was cold to everyone. I became the star basketball player. I was popular. Everyone liked me because I was known to be cold princess who happens to be the best basketball player in the school but the adults hated me because I caused trouble all the time. I didn't really care what others thought of me. I didn't care if I got in trouble. I hated everyone except my bestfriends and my dad."

 

Tiffany wiped her tears and by now, Yoong was already out of the bathroom and was listening to Tiffany's heartbreaking story.

 

"Growing up without a mother was hard. There was no one to guide me through my early teenage life and I never felt a mother's love. My father tried guuiding me but he wasn't a girl and he didn't know how a girl felt. The only thing that gets my mind off of that lonely feeling and that woman was to play basketball.. And that is why I'm here in california today. I've got a scholarship." Tiffany finished her story.

 

"So.. is your father alright?" asked Jessica.

 

"H..He found a girlfriend 4 years ago and they were supposed to get married in a couple of weeks."

 

"Supposed to?"

 

"Yes... but there's a lover's problem right now so the wedding won't be taking place anytime soon. That was why umma called." said Tiffany.

 

"Umma? Is that?"

 

"Yes, umma is my dad's fiance. She's kind and cool and I love her because she never hurt me or my father. I always thought that I couldn't trust other women but she is different." said Tiffany, smiling.

 

Jessica swallowed and nervously says, "But you don't love her as much as you love you mother, right?" 

 

"I hate that woman so why wouldn't I love umma more?" asked Tiffany and Jessica felt like crying. "Umma is different from that woman who was once my mother. She doesn't leave me when I need her the most. She doesn't give me hopes that she will be there with me then leaves the next day. She doesn't break her promises. And she would never betray my father by cheating on him with another man." said Tiffany, coldly.

 

Jessica didn't know what to say. Everything that Tiffany just said was about how much she hated her.

 

Tiffany stared straight at Jessica and it made Jessia think that her daughter recognized her.

 

"I. Hate. That. Woman. So. Much." said Tiffany, through gritted teeth.

 

Jessica was speechless while Yoong hugged his mother tightly.

 

"Mom, I hope you won't do that to us... I don't know what will happen to Dad, Krystal, or me if you ever left us." Yoong mumbled and it made Jessica feel more guilty.

 

Why was she feeling guilty?

 

Easy.

 

It was because she was actually having thoughts and dreams about leaving them for her old family.