Dates

Indifferent

Soobin’s POV

When I changed into a more street casual style, I applied some light make up and went out to find Hyukjae flipping through the television channels, all his work things cleared from the room.

“I’m ready.” I said and he turned his head and looked at me before switching off the television.

“Lets go then.” He stood my and led me out of the door, with his hands on my lower back. He opened the car door for me before going to his own side.

“What would you like to eat?” He asked me as he started driving. I actually don’t have an appetite for any particular food. I just need something to go into my body.

“I have no food in mind.” I said.

“How about we go have some porridge? It’s light on the stomach. I know of a good place which serves very good porridge.” He said and I nodded.

He kept his eyes on the road on the journey. I looked at him and thought he really does everything for me. Because I was not feeling well last night, he came and brought me to the hospital at the ungodly hour in the morning. He brought me home from work because I have not recover, even though I wasn’t happy about it. When I was asleep, he didn’t go home and work in the living room even though he’s really tired. And now, he is bringing me to a place that sells porridge because it’s good for me.

“What’s on your mind?” I broke away from my thoughts and realized I was staring directly at him and now he’s looking directly at me. I noticed we’re now parked at some place which I’m not familiar with.

“Just something came into my mind. It’s nothing. We’re here?” I asked and he nodded his head and we got out of the car.

It is at a more quiet place in Seoul. It wasn’t bustling with people and cars. It’s a quiet little area. Hyukjae led me into the store and there were a few people here and there but not too crowded.

“What’s nice here?” I asked him as we took a seat at the more quiet area in the store. The store emitted a very nice fragrance that would make anyone hungry.

“Their Jeonbokjuk (Abalone porridge) and Hobakjuk (Pumpkin Porridge) has been my top choices so far” Hyukjae said.

“I shall trust your taste buds and go with one of them.” I said with a smile unknowingly.

“So one of each?” He asked and I nodded my head.

After Hyukjae placed the orders, we had some small talk. We talked about work, home, life when we were in school. Hyukjae did not know why he was so popular but he actually did not like the popularity. He liked to be alone.

“How did you know about this place?” I asked as I look around.

“I use to come here a lot during schooling days to avoid the ‘mass media’ as I call it.” He smiled and I laughed.

“They truly can be compared to the mass media. Just one mistake and the next day, the entire school knows about it.” I laughed.

“So have you heard of anything bad?” he asked with a hint of humor gleaming in his eyes.

“Wasn’t interested in all these things so I’m not sure if you had any bad news.” I said. During the school days, I didn’t understand why people were going crazy about boys like this. All I could think of was to graduate with good grades and get a good job.

“I guess you’re one of the minority. I actually envied people like you. You have the freedom.” He smiled bitterly.

“Sometimes people like us makes it difficult to have a big social circle.” I said.

“Till now, I still can’t get rid of the mass media and this time, they are real ones.’ He really can lighten the mood.

When the food was served, Hyukjae asked for a smaller bowl so that I can scoop it out of the bowl and not burnt myself. I feel like being treated as a child again, everything in my life is being taken care of. From what I have heard or read about relationships, Boyfriends were rarely very caring. Normally they only care about themselves. However, this man sitting in front of me is nothing more but caring.

“It’s so good!” I exclaimed and I feel like I could eat everything they have here. I had always liked porridge when I wasn’t feeling well and this porridge was the best I have ever tasted.

“Eunhyuk-sshi. It’s nice to see you.” An ahjumma came and I turned to see her wiping her hands on her apron. She must be the owner.

“It has been long Ahjumma.” He stood up and smiled at her, bowing slightlty, showing respect. I stood up and greeted her as well.

“You brought someone this time. Who’s this beautiful lady?” She asked as she looked at me.

“This is Soobin, my girlfriend.” He introduced and the ahjumma smiled wide at me.

“Nice to meet you. Eunhyuk comes here often in the past when he was in school. I remembered seeing him almost everyday. He tried everything on my menu and after eating a bowl everyday, he would study here till I close. I remember finding him asleep on some days.” The ahjumma smiled as she recalled those memories.

“Ahjumma, you’re embarrassing me.” Hyukjae said and we all laughed.

“I’m glad you found someone.” She turned to look at me, as if telling me with her eyes, he is a good man, treat him well as he will love you with all his heart. I was a little taken aback, but I know what she was trying to convey is no less than the truth.

“Have a good meal.” She smiled before walking away.

“She’s really nice to you.” I said and he nodded as he continued eating.

“I guess when you get older, having someone who cares about you is nice.” He said as he ate his porridge.

All through my university days, I have thought that the famous Lee Hyukjae was just a guy with no emotions, a cold hearted player. However, today, I saw his true self. He has emotions and cares for others.

“What’s on your mind?” He asked me, snapping me out of my daze. Those pair of eyes which are boring through me make me feel like he cares about me. However, I know that I’m just thinking too much.

He dropped me at my place, insisting that he’ll send me to my door and insisting that I don’t go to work for the next few days.

“Hyukjae, you know what people will say about me. Just because I date a hotshot I can don’t go to work and because I’m dating a hotshot, my label is going up like a rocket. I know I’m sick but if I want to take a break, I will, on my own. Ok?” I said at my door.

“Alright. I’m sorry for putting you at such a position. But please rest alright?” He held onto my hand, his thumb my knuckle.

“I promise I’ll come back early ok? I won’t do overtime for the next few days.” I said and he smiled.

“Goodnight.” He said before leaving.

When I walked into my apartment, I didn’t know why but it felt different. The house feels empty, it feels like something is missing. I know what it is and I don’t want to think about it anymore. This is just some contract and it’s not even real. I cannot think this is real. All this is just for show nothing more, nothing less.

When I got to work the next day everyone looked at me like I had something on my face however, I know what they were looking at and that’s why I hate Hyukjae at times like this.

“This is for you.” Seohyun came in with my normal bouquet of blue roses.

At 5pm sharp, my phone rang and it was only one person who can call me right now. It was Lee Hyukjae. He was bringing me out for dinner again.

I stopped everything I was doing and cleared out my things. Putting my rough sketches into my bag and turning off my desktop, it’s the first time in days that I could leave my office without someone bugging me to pick up the pace. As I stepped out of my office, I closed the door to have Seohyun ask me a question.

“You’re leaving so early boss?”

“Before something happens, I’m leaving. Could you pass the message that we’re going to have a meeting tomorrow after lunch regarding our new project and make sure all of them have come up with a few designs. They had more than enough time this week.” I said and Seohyun nodded her head before waving me goodbye.

While walking out of the office, I heard a few goodbye greetings as well as a few weird stares. When I reached the waiting area, the elevator door opened and out came Lee Hyukjae.

“Why…” He was shocked to see me there, but I just entered the lift whereas he was standing outside. The door was starting to close, but I pushed the ‘open’ button.

“Are you not coming?” I asked him before he knocked himself out from his shock and entered the lift. Lee Hyukjae also have times like this where he’s in shock.

This time, he brought us to a nice Japanese restaurant. We got our own private room. It’s really cozy and has a homely feeling. I flipped through the menu and instantly knew what I wanted. Without telling him what I want, it’s like a natural instinct he knows what I want

“Are you sure you can’t read my mind?” I asked him and he laughed.

“I cannot read minds. Do you like Omu rice?” He asked and I nodded my head.

Dinner was pleasant today. I guess our ‘dates’ are of extreme standard. It’s either one of us gets really angry or we’ll have a really good time. One problem about going out with him, is that he insists on paying for everything. From things like dinner to even coffee. I guess he thinks he can afford it more than I can.

“Can’t I pay for one thing?” I asked.

“That is something which has no room for discussion.” He said. Looking at his expression, I decided not to push it any further. This man just likes to look down on people with money, not knowing what he’s doing to others.

“I need to go home. I need to prepare for my meeting tomorrow.” I said.

“You shouldn’t overwork yourself.” He said with that pissed off look again. He seriously need to take some anger management classes or seek professional help.

“I haven’t been able to do anything for days. I need to prepare for a meeting tomorrow. I went along with you regarding leaving work early, getting rest and I can’t even work for my project? I still have a showcase to work on for next week. Where am I going to find time for those things?” I asked him.

“I’ll hire someone to handle your showcase for you. I’ll bring you home to work on your meeting.” He said.

“You don’t get it do you Lee Hyukjae? It’s not about you hiring someone or not. This is my showcase, my job. If I need you to hire someone to do my job, why not I just quit, won’t it make things easier? Even if you’re filthy rich, this is not the way to insult my dignity. Dating you is already putting me in a difficult spot. Why don’t you see that?” I said as I walked away. How dumb can this guy get?

“Soobin!” He called out for me and I hear his running footsteps towards me. I tried to walk faster, but since he’s running, I can’t really out walk him.

“Where are you going?” He grabbed onto my hand, stopping me from walking any further.

“I’m going home.” I said, trying to get him to loosen his grip.

“I said I’ll drive you.”

“I don’t want to be breathing the same air as you in the car. I need to air out my anger. I’ll go home on my own.” I said and hailed a cab. I don’t care what he thinks, he’s getting on my nerves and a week hasn’t even passed.