Broken

Indifferent

Hyukjae’s POV

 

“Contract?!” Haemin exclaimed and even Donghae looked at me in shock.

 

“2 years ago, when Soobin came to interview me, I fell in love with her. I didn’t want her to think I was a player who is going to play with her feelings. I didn’t approach her for 2 years where I focused on building up my career. I’ve been sending her flowers every now and then to remind myself of her and to let her know that there’s someone out there waiting for her. When I made my career successful, I still didn’t know how to approach her. She’s not like any other girl I’ve known some who are out to have me because of my money. I wanted her to see how I truly feel for her. I used the most ridiculous way I could ever think of, which was to have her to pretend to be my girlfriend for 3 months. During these past 3 months, even though we fought and many unhappy things happened, I have never felt more content. Today was the day I intend to confess everything to her. Today was the day I wanted to let her know how I truly feel. But now she’s gone. I have been stupid. I shouldn’t have waited but I should have told her when I got the chance.” I buried my hands into my hair, living in frustration with myself.

 

“No wonder it felt strange when the both of you told me the story of how you got together. It didn’t make sense to me since Soobin never mentioned about it to me. She even told me about those flowers. But never about you wooing her.” Haemin said. She is really sharp no wonder she is a journalist.

 

“I really need to know where she is. Please tell me where she is. I need to let her know all these.” I begged her. Never in my life have I ever gone to this state.

 

“I’m sorry Hyukjae, I want to, but I don’t know where she’s going. She didn’t tell anyone about her next location. She left everything she didn’t want behind. Even though she loved you, she has also left her feelings for you behind. I’m sorry.” Haemin said and I crumbled. I’m at loss of what I am suppose to do now. My career, my life, everything I have now is all done with the motivation to be with Soobin. Without her, how am I to strive on?

 

“I’m sorry hyung, we can’t help you.” Donghae said as they both left me in the living room to think.

 

End of Hyukjae’s POV

 

Haemin’s POV

 

I’m sorry Hyukjae, I know where she is but I can’t tell you. Even though now I know what has been going on for the past 3 months, I promised Soobin that I would keep her location a secret. She wants to forget about the hurt she felt. How much agony she must have gone through these past months because of her feelings towards him?

 

“I feel sorry for Hyung. He missed the person he love just by a mere day.” Donghae said as we went into his bedroom. I lay in his arms in silence as I think of how lonely Soobin must be feeling now. Going to a foreign place where they speak a totally different language from us.

 

“You must be upset too. She’s your best friend.” Donghae said as he my back gently.

 

“She had gone through a hard time. These past 3 months, I felt that she had been off, but I couldn’t put my finger to it. Even when she told me she was with Hyukjae, her reaction wasn’t the happiest and when she told me she loved him, she seemed to be in agony. She wasn’t happy but she wasn’t sad either.” Donghae looked at me gently.

 

“I know what you mean. She didn't seem her normal self but yet she seemed normal.” Donghae has been with me since my university days. He knew Soobin for a long time. I guess he knows how she is really like.

 

“I hope she will do well in another country.” I said.

 

“She’s a strong and independent girl. She will be safe.” Donghae assured me.

 

“I didn’t tell Hyukjae this, but I think Soobin might never be coming back.” I said.

 

“Never?” Donghae was shocked.

 

“I think this contract made a toil with her emotions and she said she might not come back.” I said and Donghae rubbed his face with his hand. He’s worried now.

 

“I hope Hyung makes through this. I have never seen him act this way before. He was always calm and composed and whenever there are problems, he will solve it patiently and quietly. Seeing him break apart like this makes me worried.” Donghae said.

 

“I think the only way he can get out of this is that he forgets her. Only if he move on will he return to being normal. Even though I think he may not change back to what he used to be.” Seeing Hyukjae like this is a shock to me too. The billionaire Lee Hyukjae who gives jobs to more than 5000 people in Korea actually broke down because of a girl. If I weren’t their friend, this would make top gossip news. But I should not do this to him, even though I don’t really like or approve of him. Seeing him this way makes me feel sad for him.

 

“Do you think it is possible to get Soobin to tell you where she is the next time she contacts you?” Donghae asks.

 

“I can try asking her, but she doesn’t even want me to visit her.” I lied. Lying to Donghae and lying to Hyukjae feels different and I feel bad when I lie to Donghae.

 

“I know this is abrupt, but do you want to move in with me? I’m worried for you to live alone in your apartment. You use to have Soobin but now you’re alone.” He said with genuine concern.

 

“Let me think about it.” I said.

 

End of Haemin’s POV

 

Soobin’s POV

 

When I got to the Heathrow airport, I switched on my phone to receive the call from the driver that was arranged to pick me up from the airport. However, What I got was close to a hundred miss calls from Hyukjae and about 20 voice messages. Why was he calling me, shouldn’t he be happy that all this has ended well? Before I had time to continue thinking about it, the call came and I went  out to see the car the driver was describing.

 

I listened to the voice messages one after the other, he sounded worried and anxious and he kept saying that he has something to tell me. Was it wise for me to call him back? I told myself I was going to leave him behind, forget about him and start a new life here. I switched off my phone and took out my phone card, exchanging it with the one I just registered in London. I am starting out my new life, I’m sorry Hyukjae.

 

End of Soobin’s POV

 

~ Two Years Later ~

 

“Good morning!” Students greeted as they walk down the corridors of the fashion design building. A lady, tall and slender walked down the corridor in black heels and clothing fashion designer would wear. One look at her and you know she’s a lecturer of Fashion design.

 

“Ellie!” Someone called which caused her to stop and turn around. A mand about a head taller than she is came to a stop in front of her, panting.

 

“Yes Theodore?” She asked with the utmost grace and poise.

 

“Dinner tonight?” He leaned towards her ear and whispered. She laughed and nodded her head before going on her way.

 

An email arrived as her phone bing-ed.

 

“You are formally invited to the wedding of Mr. Lee Donghae and Ms. Kim Haemin.”

 

“Oh. My. God.” She stopped in her steps and looked at the e-invite on her phone. Immediately she dialled some number.

 

“Why didn’t you tell me You’re getting married?!” She exclaimed as she continued on her way to her destination.

 

“I’ll definitely attend. It’s your wedding.” She smiled as she carried on with the conversation.

 

Park Soobin, now known as Ellie Park is one of the lecturers in University of the Arts, London, one of the top lecturers in Fashion Design. She is also the owner of her own brand, Ellie Park.

 

In a lecturer hall filled with more than 200 students, she stood shining in what she does. Confidence, creativity and fun emits from her as she teaches and students love her.

 

Soobin’s POV

 

“I might need to go back to Korea for a few days.” I said during dinner with Theodore.

 

Mike is my boyfriend, we’ve been dating for close to a year now. The way we met was the funniest of all. My friend Beth insist that I need to get a man, so she brought me to a club where she had fun, but I wasn’t so interested. When I excused myself to the bathroom, I saw this man, sitting in a dark corner, reading Shakespeare. Who would read Shakespeare in a club? I went up to him, courage from the alcohol, and told him if he wanted to score a girl, he needs to read it somewhere more obvious than this dark corner. He looked at me with his hazel brown eyes and I might have imagined it, but it twinkled. He told me he didn’t need to change his spot because a beautiful lady had already found him. We talked, laughed and kissed. Even though I only met him once, but that attraction from his eyes made me forget who I am and I apparently took a leap in faith as what Beth had said.

 

That was not the end. I was so embarrassed at myself for doing all those things but we neither exchanged numbers or know where either of us lived so I thought I could live it down as a drunk memory but fate had to toy with me.

 

Flashback

 

“Good Morning everyone, I’m excited to announce that we have a new addition to our commitee of teachers!” The head of school who is a chirpy old man announce and the person who walked in almost made me faint on the spot.

 

“That man looks familiar” Beth whispered into my ear.

 

“He’s the guy from yesterday.” I gritted my teeth and told her and she looked at me with her eyes wide

 

“Nice to meet you all, my name is Theodore Peter James and I teacher theatre.” His eyes were scanning through the crowd and when he found mine, he stopped and smiled. I had thought I could hide but he was faster than lightening.

 

When the introduction was over, we had to return to our respective faculty. I bid Beth goodbye and went along with other colleagues, talking with them. However, I forgot that to get to theatre, it will be the same direction as us. I was glad he didn’t approach me but he did in the end.

 

End of Flashback

 

“Why all of a sudden?” He asked, eating his spaghetti. If he was not in a suit and more than 6 feet tall, I would think he’s a kid

 

“My best friend Haemin is getting married! Like finally! I thought that invite would never come.” I said excitedly as he laughed and held onto my hand across the table.

 

“Do you want me to go with you?” He asked.

 

“Do you want to come? You can come and see how my home country is like.” I said.

 

“When is it?” He asked.

 

“It’s about 3 months away.” I said.

 

“Sorry Love, that’s the month of the school production. I don’t think I can leave at that time.” He said, kissing the back of my hand.

 

“It’s alright. I’ll just go for about a week and I’ll be back in a blink of an eye alright? Don’t miss me too much when I’m away. I’ll get Beth to keep an eye on you.” I said and he laughed.

 

“I would never cheat on you.” He said. Rubbing my knuckles with his fingers. The things I love about English men are that they are the classy romantic. He’s a Shakespeare fan after all.