Truth

Indifferent

Soobin’s POV

Did he just say he wants me to be his acting girlfriend? What is that even suppose to mean?

“Acting girlfriend?”

“Yes. You’ll pretend to be my girlfriend for the next 3 months and after that, I’ll pay you for what you did.” He said.

“Pay me? I think you have to get this straight. I’m not some kind of Social mate or something. I am a fashion designer and I don’t think I am that cheap.” I am so offended by what he just said.

“This is not what I mean.”

“Lee Hyukjae, You’re pathetic.” I stood up, wanting to leave, but he did something that shocked me.

“Please.” His voice was soft. He came to me and grabbed my hand. I looked at him and ever since I met him, I have never seen this look on this face. So weary and afraid.

I tried flinging his hands away, but he just won’t budge. What does he want from me? He said things that is so offending and he’s here giving me this kind of look?

“Why are you so insistant on this?”I said as I took my seat. He looked up at me, the corner of his eyes are red. What made him so worked up? It’s unlike the Lee Hyukjae I’ve seen.

“It’s just I have been trying to get my mum off my back for months and she said if I don’t settle down soon, she’ll settle for me. So Ever since I’ve been looking for a girl to play this role.” He said. This doesn’t sound so bad. It’s just getting married isn’t it?

“There are so many girls out there waiting for you to just looking at them. Why me?” I asked.

“In university, you’re one of the few who doesn’t go all fangirl when seeing me.”

“Isn’t that better, you can find someone who likes you in real life.”

“It’s a contract. After 3 months it’s over. They cannot accept that. What they’re after is my money, my background.”

“You think I won’t do that?” I asked. He thinks too highly of me.

“A year ago, it didn’t seem that way.”

“A Year ago you weren’t Korea’s most sought after Bachelor.” I rebuked. He seemed shock at my answer as he stayed silent and thought for a while. This is the first time I’m seeing him in this state, all lost and worried.

“I believe you are not.” He muttered and now It’s my turn to be in a state of shock. How can he be so sure I’m not? Even though I’m not that poor, but as compared to him, someone who can earn millions of dollars just by one word, how can someone not be after his money?

“You know me that well?”

“I know.” Was simply his answer, I pursed my lips. I don’t know what to say. It seems like he’s in desperate need for my help.

“What do I get out of this?” I asked.

“Money.” He said. Do I really look that cheap?

“Do I look like I need money?” I asked him. I can support myself, my car and my studio apartment and have so much money to spare. I don’t think I need money.

“You’ll also get fame. Walking about with me, attending events, I think by the end of 3 months, your brand might just be the best in Korea or maybe the world.” He said. This is worth considering. I have always been wanting my brand to be known, to be sought after. But with my own ability, it’s impossible. It is the real world. Everything is about social.

“So?” He asked, a little anxious of my answer. He doesn’t look like the young CEO I know. He looks like a boy who’s looking for comfort from his mother.

“Is there room for consideration?” I asked. I don’t know what should  I do.

“Of course. But the Non disclosed agreement is a must sign. This can only be known between us.” He said seriously.

“Even if I don’t have to sign this, I know it is just between us. If I go about telling people Lee Hyukjae is looking for a girlfriend, I don’t think it’ll do any of us any good. But if you insist.” I said as I took the document and looked through briefly.

“Are you sure you read it carefully?” He asked as I was about to sign.

“As I said, it’s just a procedure.” I answered before signing on the line before passing it back to him. As He passed me the other one and did the same however, I was able to keep this one.

“When do I have to give you my answer?” I asked.

“I have a family dinner on Sunday. You can give me the answer by then. If you agree, I’m going to bring you straight to my parents.” He said and I can see the slightest spark of hope in his eyes.

“There shouldn’t be a problem.” I said.

And as if on time, the waiter came in with our food and we ate in silence. Throughout dinner, the only question that played in my mind was why did he choose me? Of all people me? He is Seoul’s most sought after bachelor and he want me, a not that popular designer to act as the closest person to him?

“What’s on your mind?” His voice snapped me out of my thought. I realized I have been playing with my food all along and he had already finished his.

“It’s nothing.”

“Not hungry?” He asked as he directed his eyes to the food and back to me.

“Not in the mood after what you just told me.” I said.

“Is it that bad of a proposal to you?” He asked, his eyes showed hurt.

“I just need time to think. Do you think we can leave this place? It’s too stuffy.” I said and he nodded, paying before we left. During the drive, we were once again silent. There was no words exchanged and it was really awkward. I really want to go home and think it through. With him around makes me more unfocused.

“Do you think we can end here today? I need as much time as I can get.” I said and he nodded his head without looking at me. This is the cold Lee Hyukjae I always see in School. However, there’s something I realized I did.

“You never let anyone call you Hyukjae.” I whispered to myself.

“Excuse me?” He exclaimed.

“I called you Hyukjae.” I said and looked at him.

“You do.” He looked at me every once and a while.

“You never let anyone call you Hyukjae.” I said. I said it. He’s going to explode soon.

“That’s why you’re chosen to be my acting girlfriend.” He smiled softly. Even though not directly at me, I could see from his profile view that he was handsome, really handsome.

“Why? Why do you let me?”

“It sounds comfortable when you call me Hyukjae.” He said and I felt a blush creep up my face. He likes me to call him Hyukjae?

“I really want this to work, Soobin, I never wanted anything to this extend.” I looked at him and his expression was sincere.

When he dropped me off, he walked me to the door of my own apartment. We walked silently side by side as he tucked his hands in his pocket. The only sound heard was the clicking of our shoes against the marble floor.

When we’ve reached, he waved me goodbye and watched me enter my apartment before I heard the clicking of his shoes as he left.

The whole night, I couldn’t really sleep. I was tossing and turning on my bed, thinking of all reasons he would ask me and why he liked me to call him by his real name. In the past, I remember of incidents where he would flare up when someone called him by his actual name. It was only his family and close friend who can call him by his actual name.

The next morning, I slept in since it was a weekend. However, as a designer, weekends are normally a time to find inspirations. I took my time in preparing before I put on a pair of jeans, a cream knitted pullover, a red themed scarf, a knitted hat and a pair of brown boots. Grabbing my sketch book, I took my bag and went to look for some inspiration.

I took a seat at Caffe Bene and got a cup of hot chocolate as I tried to get some inspirations today. Looking at the people passing, I realize that I had nothing. Totally nothing. I feel like I’m lacking something. Lacking this particular vibe to get me going.

“BOO!” I heard a voice by my ear just to find my good friend, Haemin.

“HAEMIN!” I exclaimed as I pulled her into a hug. She must be shocked. I was never so enthusiastic about seeing her.

“Woah, woah… Slow down girlfriend. You’re happy for some reason.” She said as I shrug. I shouldn’t be happy. I can’t think of anything.

“I’m inspiration-less If there’s such a word.”

“How can you be floating with inspiration al the time? I get writer’s block at times too. Even though it’s not a thing to boast about.” Haemin’s a journalist. She is writing almost everyday.

“There’s one way to solve your problem.” She smirked and I know that’s the ‘oh-no-she’s-up-to-no-good’ look.

Haemin and I spent the day together since I was never free and when either of us is free, the other will not be. Even though we stay together, I haven’t seen her since Wednesday. We had our usual girl talk and she was trying to pry something out of me. I can just smell it.

“So….” Here it comes. “… Are you and Eunhyuk….”

“He just sent me home that night. Nothing more. I just had too much to drink.” I said and she nodded, totally not believing a word I say. But I was lucky she stopped asking after that, knowing that I won’t say anything more.

That Night, Haemin had a date with Donghae, so she left and I went home. I finally have time to myself and I have less than 12 hours to decide if I’m going to accept Hyukjae’s proposal. If I do, I’ll get the fame I always wanted. But I have always wanted to use my own ability, not with the help of others. Another con is that I’ll feel like I’m cheating the world and most of all, everyone’s eyes will be on us. But if I don’t, I don’t know what will he pull on me. After all, he has the power and ability to do anything.

This is so confusing. Why am I in such a situation? If only I can discuss with someone, but I can’t. I decided to just go and sleep. I’ll just have to go with my heart, since it’s only me, myself and I.

Haemin didn’t come home, dropping a text saying she’ll only be home Sunday evening. I guess she’s having fun with Donghae again. Before I fell asleep, I imagine myself being the attention of the world in a moment and a beggar on the street another time.

The next morning, I got woken up by the constant ringing of the doorbell. Who could it be? Did Haemin forget her keys or the combination code again? but it cannot be. She won’t be back till evening. I opened the door to find a delivery boy. He was holding blue roses.

Flashback

“You need to fall in love. You can totally get inspiration out from it. Trust me. I know”

“You’re beautiful. Just go out there and there’ll be a long queue of men wanting to date you”

“You have something every girl wants. Why don’t you believe me?”

End of Flashback

Suddenly everything Haemin told me flashed in my mind. Is falling in the love the only way? I picked up my phone and dialed the number.

“Hello, Hyukjae sshi?”