Bad Timing

Indifferent

Soobin’s POV

 

As we got to the breakfast Buffet restaurant, a private dining area has already been reserved for us. I guess this is the way Hyukjae liked his stuff done. I could eat anything I want off a menu and the waiter would get my food for me. I guess you have privileges when You’re a VIP.

 

“Did you have a good rest?” He asked me during breakfast.

 

“It was good.” I said. Never had I had such a good night’s sleep somewhere other than my own room.

 

“What time is your interview?” I asked Hyukjae since that was his main purpose of coming here in the first place.

 

“Right after breakfast. I’ll call you when I’m done so keep you phone with you.: He said as he continued eating. I guess I get some free time to myself to explore this place.

 

When He was done with his food, he had to leave even though I was half way through my meal. He came to me and told me to go explore and he’ll call me when he’s done and gave me a peck on my face before he left for his shoot. I guess I should just enjoy the moment when I still can. As each moment tick by, the time left with Hyukjae is decreasing.

 

After breakfast, I wondered around the hotel before moving further off and went to the beach. There were not much people around and most of them were lying on the sand, trying to get a tan. I sat down on the soft white sand and enjoyed the sea breeze. I might regret this later as I might get tanner, but I’m enjoying the moment as it is.

 

My phone rang earlier than I had expected it to. It was barely an hour before we parted ways and he was already done? It can’t be.

 

“Hey. You’re done early.” I said.

 

“I’m not really done here. Do you mind coming here instead?” He asked and he sounded slightly awkward about it.

 

“Why? Is there something you need me to bring for you?” I asked since I had nothing to do there. The only reason was he must have need something.

 

“They were wondering if you’d mind taking part in the interview.” Hyukjae said and somehow I didn’t know why, I had actually seen this coming. Since Hyukjae and I are the hot topic on the internet recently, they would have wanted to grab the chance since I was here with him. Even though that wasn’t the reason I was here.

 

“I’ll go.” I said and left the beach. Hyukjae told me to just come without having the need to change my clothes. I guess they want to keep this as casual as possible.

 

When I arrived, the photographer got Hyukjae and I to do some shots together professionally and he said he’ll do some shots during the interview, so we should act as natural as possible. Hyukjae held onto my hand as I sat close to him while the journalist asked us some questions.

 

“The both of your relationship has been announced to the entire of the republic of Seoul. How do the both of you feel about it?” She asked. Hyukjae answered her as professionally as he could.

 

“I was actually surprised it had gotten to such a scale.”

 

“We didn’t expect such a result of our announcement of our relationship.” I said since she directed the question to the both of us.

 

She asked us casual questions here and there, such as how we met, was it love a first sight and the general question most reporters would ask. However, one question took us aback, Both of us.

 

“Is there a chance that we might hear wedding bells?” She asked with a smile.

 

“We haven’t thought of such things that are still far away, But we keep it at the back of our minds.” Hyukjae said.

 

“So I might take that as a yes?” She said sneakily, trying to twist and turn Hyukjae’s words.

 

“We shall hope.” Hyukjae answered and we ended the interview with a laugh. The interview had went for a turn. Their topic was no longer Hyukjae’s work life, but rather his personal life, or to be more specific, his love life. I guess since it’s the hot topic on the internet, these journalists would never give it a break. I could feel Hyukjae feeling really uncomfortable, but I don’t think she felt it.

 

They got us to do a shoot at the beach, sitting on a bench talking, sitting under a tree. Rather than an interview, I felt like I was in a photo shoot. Now I know how my models feel when they’re being put up to this misery. Hyukjae looked more and more uncomfortable as the minutes went by and by early evening, I could tell he was exhausted and worn out. Hyukjae was going to say something, but I stopped him before that.

 

“I was wondering if we can call it a day?” I asked and I think that was what Hyukjae had wanted to say.

 

“Oh my, I didn’t realise it was this late. I’m sorry to hold the both of you up. We can wrap up now. So sorry.” She apologised. I guess she was someone who is devoted to their job. Hopefully they don’t stalk us for the rest of the weekend. We have definitely given them enough scope for an entire issue.

 

“I’m sorry you didn’t get to go explore the place.” Hyukjae apologised when we were heading back to our hotel. To be honest, it was kind of fun working together with Hyukjae. Even though he put on his serious business face, I could detect the way he’s feeling just by his actions. I think I might have been around him long enough to be able to study his actions in such details.

 

We were both exhausted from the interview that we got room service and enjoyed our evening just like the night before. However, today includes sipping some wine. Hyukjae and I have never drank anything more than champagne when we were together. Other than the time Haemin tried to kill him with alcohol. 

 

“Penny for your thoughts?” I was just caught staring at his face for the past 5 minutes. I turned away shaking my head.

 

“I’m just tired.” I said and stifled a yawn. Hyukjae chuckled and urged me to go to bed.

 

The next day was a short day since we had to fly back to Seoul in the late afternoon. I slept in till about noon to find Hyukjae awake, doing his work. He seriously can never stop.

 

I leaned on the doorframe to see him concentrating on his work, eyes never leaving the screen, fingers constantly typing on the keys. I didn’t know how long I stood there but what broke the silence was the growling of my stomach. Hyukjae looked up and I could feel the heat rushing to my face. I wanted to turn around when he called.

 

“Soobin, let’s pack our things and head to the airport. We can grab some food there.” He said and I nodded my head, not looking at him. That was the most embarrassing, unlady like thing that had ever happened.

 

When I stepped out of my room, Hyukjae passed me a sandwich which he got the people to prepare. He said he was afraid I was too hungry to be able to wait till the food at the airport. I was grateful for his gentleness and his considerations towards me.

 

It seemed that time passed faster and faster when I am with Hyukjae. The weekend was over and we were going back to work. This marks another week had passed. Our contract has less than a month left.

 

The next week was a busy week. Hyukjae and I rarely had time to call each other and when we finally decided to meet on Wednesday evening, He had to leave abruptly.

 

“I’m sorry. I have to leave the country. I’ll call you ok?” Hyukjae said halfway through dinner. He told me about how there is one big case they are working on that is why he’s being so busy recently. I guess it must have something to do with the case he’s working on. Even though he is the CEO work Is not something he can brush aside.

 

I wandered the streets that night, looking at the people around me and enjoying the cool autumn breeze. It was going to e winter soon. I wonder if I’d have the chance to see the first snow with Hyukjae. I shall not hope too much. I heard squealing from the place in front of me to see girls surrounding someone. I would expect it to be some idol since girls these days are crazy over them.

 

“Soobin!” I heard my name and the voices of screaming stopped. That group of girls were staring at me. What is all this about? The guy walked out from the wall of girls and I realised he was calling my name. the he here is Kim Jaejoong.

 

“Hey.” I said awkwardly since I could feel daggers shooting from those girl’s eyes. I seriously should have just went home instead of walking the streets.

 

“What are you doing here?” He asked. Totally not bothering about the people around him. Where does he get that confidence from? I guess since he is famous, this is what he does. Hyukjae is able to block out people in the same way.

 

“I’m heading home from dinner.” I said, trying to keep things light. I really want to walk away. The girls were taking pictures and staring. However, some were more realistic and left us alone. The crowd started to disperse soon after.

 

“I’m sorry about that. It was a difficult situation to handle.” Jaejoong said, rubbing his neck in awkwardness. Since it was rude to just leave and he invited me to join him for coffee, I accepted his invitation.

 

Jaejoong and I laughed and talked like old friends. We were about the same age and had much in common so it wasn’t so difficult. I found out something things about his life like how he used to not be well off and he started working to support his family and his siblings. He got to where he is today because of them.

 

Jaejoong and I parted ways even though he insisted to drive me home but he had done enough for today, buying me coffee and all. When I got home, I was so exhausted. I immediately drifted off to sleep.

 

At 3am, my phone rang. It was a miracle I even heard it and woke up to pick it up. I didn’t look at who it was and just picked it up.

 

“Hello?”

 

“Soobin…” I heard the voice of my mother. However, it was her sobbing this wasn’t good. I sat up out of bed immediately.

 

“Omma, what happened? Why are you crying?” I switched on the lights, hoping to not kill myself because of such a frenzy.

 

“Your Appa, he… he… got into an accident. He’s now in the hospital…” Appa… in an accident?

 

“Omma, wait for me ok? I’ll take the next flight there. Call me if there’s anything.” I said. My parents were not living in Seoul so I had to take a plane to Busan to get to them. I am not in the right mind to drive so taking the plane is the fastest and safest way for now. I dropped a text to my boss that I have an emergency family situation and I would not be going to work for a while. They would understand.

 

When I got to the hospital Omma told me about, I chucked my phone into my bag and waited with Omma, hoping for the best. Appa is strong. He will make it. He will be fine. I held onto Omma’s hand as we hoped for the best