Last day

Indifferent

Soobin’s POV

 

When the people came and took my stuff away, Haemin looked at me with sad eyes. We all know how much the both of us dread it when either of us are leaving each other behind, but we know one day there will be a time where we will each go our own way.

 

When I got to work, I was surprised by the people in my office. They made me a surprise farewell party. I really love this bunch of people. They were smart talented and really dedicated to their work. I have never met a team more perfect than this. I will definitely miss them.

 

“Boss, are you really leaving?” Sulli asked.

 

“Yeah, I am. Don’t worry about your Job. Boss said he hired a new person to fill my place.” I assured them.

 

“What if she’s mean?” Sulli asked.

 

“Show her your kindness and gentleness and she will be nice.” I said and Sulli nodded. She’s adorable. I am lucky to have such good personal assistants. Seohyun even though she doesn’t express much feelings, but I know she got it the worst. She has been with me since day 1. We had worked together practically the whole time.

 

“You’ll be great. I trust that all those year we’ve been together paid off.” Her eyes were glassy as she nodded her head.

 

That day, after the party, we had a meeting, my final meeting together with this wonderful group of people. We wrapped up everything that were on our hands as I told Seohyun and Sulli things that has to be handed over to the next team leader.

 

I treated everyone to lunch, thanking them for their hard work and the great time we had these years. I know I was harsh at times, but a boss got to be a boss. During lunch, looking at them chatting, laughing, having fun, I didn’t feel like leaving. People always told me that we have to beware of the people whom we work with, they might just stab you in the back. But not with these people. I felt that I had always have a good team but I have never treasured them till I was losing them.

 

When we returned from lunch, the meeting continued until all of them were confident with what they had to do and what parts and things they were in charge of. After the meeting, one after another, my team member came and got me to do my final review for their work.

 

“It’s because of your strict reviews that got me to where I am today.”

 

“I use to be so angry when you scolded me. But as time went by, when clients stopped critising my work but rather praise my work, I only got you to thank.”

 

“Work will be different without you”

 

“We’ll miss you Boss”

 

One after another they encouraged me, praised me and thanked me. How much they all have grown from freshies to now professionals. Looking at the office, the people, I realise how long I have been at this place and how much memories and feelings I’ve got for this place.

 

When it was time to go home, all of them sent me to the door. I had brought my stuff home little by little during the week so I needn’t take a box home on my final day of work. Some had tears in their eyes and other came forward to hug me.

 

“You guys are the best team I’ve ever had. Make me proud you guys.” I said and they all nodded their head. My boss shook my hand, wishing me all the best. I waved them goodbye as the lift door started to close. Farewell was never a good thing for me. I got to my car and drove home, getting ready for my final goodbye which is am not ready, or ever be ready to say.

 

Hyukjae came by my place an hour later to pick me up. I didn’t let him step in or he’ll see the emptiness of my room. I closed the door behind me and he smiled, asking me what was I being all mysterious about.

 

Hyukjae was in a really good mood today. His arms circled my waist as we got out of the car, going to a really nice western restaurant. The waiter opened the door for us and Hyukjae told him a reservation under Lee Hyukjae. The guy seemed quite nervous but I gave him a smile, hoping that will calm his nerves a bit. The name Lee Hyukjae brings quite an impact to people because of his fame and wealth.

 

Rather than a private room, Hyukjae got a booth reservation at a more secluded corner of the restaurant.

 

“Someone’s in the mood today.” I joked.

 

“What do you mean in the mood?”

 

“You always had the preference of private rooms.” I said and he just laughed.

 

“The ambiance of this place is nice so it will be quite a waste if we were in a private room.” He said as the waiter came and gave us our menu. They had nice selection of food, from pasta to steak to sandwiches. I was really in the mood for a steak so I am going to get that. Not forgetting chocolate mousse cake for desert.

 

“I saw the article from Jeju island.” I told Hyukjae. As I was flipping through the magazine at home, I was shocked to see our article. They did quite a good job with the pictures and she did not change too much of what we said, but reported them honestly. I cannot help but feel happy when I saw the outcome of the pictures. It was as if Hyukjae and I were really a couple. The feeling that was coming out from the photo was that we were in love with each other. No wonder people were fooled by us. We could go to Hollywood and act in a movie and get best actor and actress awards.

 

“I saw it too. It was nicely done.” Hyukjae said.

 

Dinner was nice and we made through it, asking each other about work, how life was like, what we do. I told him about the reunion dinner Haemin, Joongki and I had yesterday. Of course I left out the part where I was leaving and that Joongki was dating Chaewon.

 

“I could have come and get you.” Hyukjae said, frowning a little, but not in rage mode.

 

“I was fine. Joongki’s a good friend and it was nice having some private time to talk to him. Even though Haemin, Joongki and I were close, but there were things that we don’t know about another person. Joongki had to talk to me about something so it was a nice ride home.” I said.

 

“What did he talk to you about?” Hyukjae tried prying but I was not gonna tell him.

 

“Oh just friend stuff and about some problems he have.” I said and Hyukjae seemed relief.

 

Hyukjae Suggested we talk a walk by the Han river since we were close by. It had an amazing view at night and I never had much chance to enjoy it. I guess this is a first and last with Hyukjae for me. Looking at the lights reflecting on the water and the lulling of the water by ear. It was a comfortable and cooling walk. It was so until the wind started blowing, causing me to shiver a little. I wasn’t expecting this in our ‘itinerary’ so I wasn’t dressed appropriately for it.

 

Hyukjae as if it was his automated reaction, wrapped his arms around my shoulders, trying to keep me warm. Even though he didn't say anything and was looking at the opposite direction of me, but I know somewhere in there, he cares for me. However, this care he has is not enough for him to want me to stay by his side. It them suddenly came upon me that this is our last. He doesn’t know it but I do and it hurt to know.

 

Walking for a while, with his arms around me, I started to feel sad. I didn't want to cry in front of him as he would be shocked by my reaction.

 

“Let’s go back. I’m tired.” I said and he finally turned to look at me, concern filled his face.

 

“Ok. Let’s get back.” He said as we walked back towards the direction we came. Even though the wind was howling, I had never felt warmer, wrapped in the arms of Hyukjae.

 

On the ride home, I couldn’t help but look at him. The entire ride back, I looked at his side profile. He didn’t seem to mind since he didn’t say anything. The ride was quite, other than the soft classical music playing at the background. The once dreadful silent car ride has unexpectedly ended in a flash. I didn’t realise we’ve reached until Hyukjae turned to look at me.

 

“We’re here.” He said, his eyes gentle in the soft streetlight. I didn’t respond to him and his expression changed.

 

“Are you alright? You seem a little out of yourself today.” Hyukjae said as he place his hands on my forehead, checking if I was running a temperature. He placed both his hands on my cheek, double checking if I was sick. I placed my hand on his and leaned into his hands. He stopped what he was doing and looked at me. When I opened my eyes, he was looking straight into my eyes. Our natural reaction was to lean into each other until our lips touched. I didn’t know how long we were there, but a knock on the car window made us break apart like we were allergic to each other. It was Haemin.

 

“Good night.” I said.

 

“Goodnight,. I’ll see you tomorrow.” With my back towards him, I bit my lips and held back my tears. There is no more tomorrow for us Hyukjae, there is no more anything. At the side walk, I turned to him and smiled, waving him goodbye. This is the end. Goodbye, Hyukjae. When he was out of sight, my legs gave way on me. If it was not for Haemin, I would have fell flat on the floor.

 

She didn’t ask or pry about anything, but helped me back to the house and settle me on my bed in my room.

 

“Do you want me to stay?” She asked and I shook my head. I know she’ll be next door if I needed her but for now, I need time alone. Haemin left, closing the door slowly behind her. I looked at the box on my table as tears flow silently down my cheeks. I pulled out my phone and sent Hyukjae a text.

 

“I have a gift for you. – Soobin”

 

“Really? Do you want me to go over and take it? – Hyukjae”

 

“It’s ok. I want to give you a surprise. I’ll get it delivered to you. – Soobin”

 

“I’ll await for your surprise then. Sweet dreams. – Hyukjae”

 

Tomorrow morning, on the way to the airport, I’ll drop it off at the courier office. It would get to him in the late afternoon. By then, I would have left. There will not be any bad feelings left when I leave. I’ll start afresh in a new country and live a new life there.

 

That night, I fell asleep, wetting my pillow with my tears. I know I would look horrible the next day, but my tears were unwilling to cooperate. So this is how a heartbreak feels like. It is so pain that crying out would not help, but I am hoping time would be able to heal this pain in my chest. When I finally fell asleep, I had a dream, a beautiful dream where Hyukjae was there and we were together for real, loving each other till there is no end.