Gathering

Indifferent

Soobin’s POV

 

Hyukjae opened the passenger door for me to enter and when I got in, he closed the door and jogged to the driver’s side before he himself got in. I swear that it is harder and harder to look at him as each day passes. I want to forget but he’s not making me forget. I want to go back to being normal, go back to a life where he was never part of.

 

“Are you alright?” He asked me, his hands on mine, snapping me back to reality. I drew my hand back quickly and I thought I saw a hint of disappointment, but I know it must be my stupid  brain imagining nonsense.

 

“I’m fine. Where’s Yunho? Doesn’t he normally drive you around?” I ask since he rarely drives around himself. Even though I have witnessed that a few times when we were together.

 

“He’s sick. I’ve got another guy to wait for me at my office.” He said as he started the car. I was out earlier than I was supposed to and he was already there waiting. How early did he come and wait for me?

 

“Where are we going?” It is too early for me to go to work but I don’t want to say that or he’ll think I’m implementing something even though I’m not but I know I am somehow or another.

 

“We’ll get breakfast and I’ll get you to work on time. I won’t get you into trouble.” He said with his eyes on the road, not turning away. I have always had a thing for guys who can focus on a particular and I didn’t realise I was staring at him in the face for the longest time ever and what’s worst, I’ve got caught doing it.

 

“Is there something on my face?” He asked and I shook my head. I hope my face is not tomato red but I can feel my face heating up like a water boiler. No words were exchanged between us after that.

 

He stopped at a riverside café that was beautiful. I have to admit he always chooses the best location wherever we go. The lady served him happily since the whole world know he’s korea’s most sought after bachelor. We got one of the best seats in the café and I really want to picture this down. It’s so beautiful I don’t ever want to forget it.

 

“This place is beautiful huh.” He said as he looked out the window. I took out my sketch pad and wanted to get the feeling of it down, but something didn’t feel right. Hyukjae didn’t realise what I was doing so rather than drawing the scenery, I started to draw him. He was so immersed in the view outside, he was so still till the lady came back, scaring both of us.

 

“Wow! Miss, you have a great talent of art. It looks exactly like him.” Embarrassement number 2. First, I had to get caught looked straight at his face like some love struck fool and now I’m caught drawing a portrait of him. I need a hole to hide in right this instance.

“Of me? I want to see it.” Hyukjae said, his eyes bright and he didn’t seem upset or trying to poke fun of me. The lady was looking at my, her eyes beaming too. I took it out slowly and passed it to Hyukjae.

 

“Doesn’t it look just like you? You must be so lucky to have such a beautiful and talented girlfriend.” The lady said, making me sink deeper into my chair. Hyukjae looked up from the painting and smiled at me, putting his hand on mine, which was placed on the table, and squeezed it light.

 

“I’m really lucky indeed. I’m going to keep this as a memory.” Hyukjae said. I was happy that he liked it but what struck me was what he said, a memory. What we’re experiencing now will soon become but a dull memory. I now no longer have the mood to eat. The lady returned with our food but I could only just play with it. Even taking a few bites seemed too much.

 

“Soobin, are you feeling alright?” He asked.

 

“I’m just not that hungry. It’s too early.” I gave him some ridiculous excuse. I didn’t want to bother him or even make him worry. I just want to go to work.

 

Before we left, the lady asked us for a photo in her shop. She said it was for momento but I think it might have something to do with boosting her sales. I like this place but it will be memories.

 

Hyukjae dropped me off and told me that he will pick me up to go to the dinner place where we’re meeting Donghae and Haemin. I waved him goodbye and felt a heavy weight on my heart. I feel like I cannot be myself any long. I feel like life was suffocating, more than my tight dress. Everything he does makes me question myself.

 

“Boss, You have flowers again.” Seohyun brought it in the moment I went into my office. She placed it into a vase and put it on my table. The colour was so mysterious that makes me want to find out who this person was. How does he or she know when to send me flowers?

 

Work was like a breeze. Alexander had looked over some of my ideas and he incorporated some of his ideas and it looked amazing. Hopefully we are able to find the right texture and material for the design.

 

When I was leaving the office, a whole group of women were plastered to the front lobby glass, looking at something. They were murmuring and smiling and some were even taking pictures. I went closer to take a look to only find Hyukjae standing there, leaning against his car, with one hand in his pocket and he was looking at his watch on another hand.  Were they all looking at him, he put down his hand and looked to the side, seemingly unaware of what is happening inside. I unknowingly took a photo of him looking at his watch and looking to the side. He was mine, at least for now.

 

I walked out of the building straight to him and I heard some ladies saying ‘is she going to him?’ “Are they dating?’ ‘Is she his girlfriend?’ I didn’t know what got into me but when he stood up as he saw me approaching, rather than letting him say anything, or even smile, I kissed him smack on the lips. He was shocked at first, but he placed his hands on my waist and kissed me back.

 

“I missed you.” I said. I didn’t realise I said it out loud until he replied.

 

“I did too.” He looked down and smiled at me before holding onto my hand and guides me into the car. When I buckled my seatbelt, I could see lasers from some people’s eyes. Sorry ladies, this man is taken, for now.

 

Hyukjae held onto my hand the entire ride to the restaurant. I didn’t know why but just that small gesture made me content. Even though no word were exchanged during the entire ride, but with his hands holding onto mine was enough for me. For now, I am content with Hyukjae by my side, I shall just treasure him while I can and think of the consequences after. It might be painful but I’m hanging onto our memories.

 

“Becareful of Haemin ok?” I said and he smiled. He held onto my hand and pulled me towards him and closed the car door which I cam out from. As the impact was too big, I was leaning against him and before I could react, He pulled me into a deep kiss.

 

“Hey guy! Get a room!” I pushed Hyukjae away to see Donghae with his arms around Haemin’s shoulder and Haemin with her hands around his waist. Hyukjae pulled me towards him by my waist and told Donghae to shut up. It was quite funny to see Hyukjae using such words when he was always polite around me.

 

The four of us walked into the restaurant, not something fancy like those which Hyukjae would choose but a restaurant which people like me and all average people will go. We were not in a private room where people would gawk at at us whenever we walk past, no annoying female waiter and definitely not private enough for Hyukjae to talk to me about private things.

 

“So how have you been hyung? Haven’t seen you coming home for a long long time. Omma was hugging me to death when I got home.” Donghae said to Hyukjae. The way he behaves around Haemin is something that I wanted from Hyukjae, a causal attitude, not something serious and stiff. He had his hands on my waist and my chair was so close to his, I was practically leaning on him.

 

“I’m busy. I’ll be back to visit soon.” Hyukjae said, looking at me for a moment before turning his eyes back to Donghae. Haemin for one was quiet. However, I know why. She was only quiet when she was observing something. She can pick up any discomfort or to be exact, make people uncomfortable with her stare. Hopefully, Hyukjae doesn’t get intimidated by that.

 

I was pretending to look at the menu, finding something hat I can eat and not throw up. I didn’t know why I was so nervous. It was as if I am bringing my boyfriend home to meet my parents. However, Haemin was like family, maybe that’s why I felt uncomfortable to be lying to her about Hyukjae and I.

 

“Have you thought of what you wanted to eat?” Hyukjae asked me, shocking me since he was in close proximity. I just continued to flip the menu, hoping something will catch my eye soon. Haemin was staring straight at Hyukjae, maybe drilling holes in his skull without him realising.

 

Hyukjae as per usual gave my order to the waiter while Donghae did the same. One thing similar about the both of them is that they both have the same set of manners. Donghae on one hand was the more laid back and fun guy while Hyukjae was more serious and uptight.

 

“So Hyukjae…” Haemin called his name. I looked at Hyukjae who winced slightly, but setting his face back to normal again before anyone noticed. I for one noticed it but I decided not to pry it. I guess he wants to give Haemin a good impression. However, now is not the time to be worried about Hyukjae’s expression change. However, it’s more important that I focus on what Haemin is going to ask Hyukjae. She knows me more than anyone, with the exception of my parents.

 

“How did you and Haemin meet?” Haemin asked and I knew this was coming. She would want to test to see if we were being honest with her.

 

“It had actually been going on for some time. But it all started with her coming to interview me. I have to thank you for that. If you hadn’t sent her to me, I wouldn’t have found such a nice girl.” He said. My natural reaction was to blush. He had never said anything like this to me. However, I know deep down inside, this was the story we cooked up. It wasn’t real.

 

“I’m glad I was the match maker then. I was never able to make Soobin date anyone. By anyone I really mean anyone. Even guys who go after her were all turned down. I guess you must have perservered.” Haemin said. I know this was just the beginning of their verbal battle. Donghae didn’t realise what was happening, but he just tapped on his phone, I assume playing a game.

 

“I have an important question to ask you.”

 

“You can ask me anything.”

 

“How much do you love Soobin?”