Break

Indifferent

Soobin’s POV

 

I didn’t want to go home and be alone so I stayed with Hyukjae for the rest of the week. He went to work as usual even though he was quite reluctant to as he wanted to spend some time together. However, for the sake of his career, I told him to go. Even though he was a CEO he shouldn’t be slacking all the time. I camped in his theatre most of the days, watching movies that I didn’t have time to watch and reminiscing some old movies that I liked.

 

The papers and the news have not stopped reporting about us. Hyukjae never lets me watch or read whatever they say. He say he doesn’t want me to get hurt by their comments. I told him that he can’t protect me forever. When I start going back to work next week, I can’t live under the protection of his home any longer. Then what happens when this relationship ends, I know the haters will still be out there and they may hate me even more for breaking his heart, or so they thought.

 

Sometimes, the way Hyukjae speaks is as if this arrangement is going to be forever. As if we were not fake, but real. I don’t know if he was lying to himself or he really feel this way. The things he say makes me doubt if he was really the founder of Lee Corp.

 

“Why don’t you quit your job? I’ll support you.” Hyukjae proposed one of the nights. I was raging. He was at it again. It was as if he sees my job as pointless and he’s going to be supporting me forever. I can’t live with him without fighting for a week. Sometimes it is hard for me to live this way.

 

That night I didn’t speak to him after the words he said. I was starting to wonder why was I even still staying here. I look at how I had been living for the past few days. Looking at the clothes I’m wearing, the things I’m using, the room I’m sleeping in. Was it a sign showing that I gave in to him? The more I thought of it the more I don’t think I can stay here. I need to go. I need to go home. Grabbing my things that I brought from my place the first day, I left.

 

I didn’t hail a cab but I just walked on the streets. I need to clear my mind. Who did I become? Just a few weeks with Hyukjae and he used some beautiful words on me and I’m turning head over heels with him and I’m even losing my self-perseverance?

 

I was so deep in my own thoughts that I didn’t heard the mummering and the people pointing fingers at me until someone bumped into me, causing me to lose my balance, almost falling onto the ground. It broke me from my trance and brought me back to the real world.

 

“I’m sorry.” I said and I was about to leave when someone pulled me back.

 

“Who do you think you are? Bumping into people and just saying sorry and walk away? The whole Korea know who you are. Do you think just because you’re dating the almighty Lee Hyukjae you can do whatever you want?” The girl was younger than me and she was screaming at me as if I killed her entire family.

 

“I’m sorry.” I didn’t have the energy to argue with her I just wanted to go. She tugged my hair, causing a huge commotion that I had no idea what I was supposed to do. I could only see the eyes of the people around us, pointing fingers and mummering things about the situation.

 

I had thought I would die on the street if this went on. However, not long after, I felt her grip loosen from my hair and I felt someone pulling me up on my feet. It was Yunho.

 

“Are you alright?” I nodded my head and held onto him for support. The girl glared at me and there were more chatters amongst the people. I bet this would be headlines on Naver’s search in a matter of minutes.

 

Yunho brought me into the car and I had thought Hyukjae might be inside and I was reluctant to go in but Yunho told me he came alone. Yunho started driving and I just felt lifeless. How can so many things happen in less than 3 weeks? What is becoming of my life? I was glad Yunho didn’t drive me back to Hyukjae’s house but rather, he drove me back to my place.

 

“Are you really alright? Do you need me to inform Mr Lee?” He asked as I shook my head. I just wanted to be alone. With that, Yunho left me alone to think. I sat on the couch with my chin on my knees hugging a cushion. I didn’t know how long I sat there but I knew I didn’t move from the time where the sky was dark till the sun rose. I didn’t sleep a wink, but thinks were going through my head so quickly.

 

There was a pounding on the door at close to 9am. It must be Hyukjae. No one I know would do this and was this persistant. I didn’t move and I didn’t say anything hoping he’d just leave me alone. We are not good for each other. By the way we fight and the way we create trouble, we’re better off without each other. After an hour, the banging on the door stopped. I tried to sleep but my brain would not shut down for me to sleep. I looked at the television and it just reminds me of how Hyukjae likes to flip the channels when he sat here.

 

I practically rolled my eyes at myself and decided to go into my room where I would not think about things I don’t need to think about. At 12 in the afternoon, the doorbell rang. I didn’t know if I wanted to get the door. What if it’s Hyukjae sending someone over or maybe Yunho? I just want to be alone. However I thought of how bad it would be if I made Yunho who had no part in this stand at the door. I went to look at the peephole to see a delivery man.

 

I opened the door and he passed me a bouquet of blue roses. I signed for them but as per usual, there was no name and no indication who they were from. What came to me was how did this person know where I live? He normally send it to the office but it was to my house now. What if he was some serial killer who’s waiting for the right time to kill me? I need to shut my brain down. I’m thinking of too much nonsense for my self to handle right now.

 

I place the flowers on the kitchen counter and just stared at it. At least I know there's someone out there who loves me for real. He might be a creeper or a normal guy with a normal life. Every single day Hyukjae and I are bound to fight. I no longer see the point of helping him out. I had used to think that his presence in my life would not create a big impact to the way I live, the way I work. However, I was wrong. Everything he did was ruining my life more and more each day. I know why it was so. I had the answer all along, but I refused to admit it. I had fallen in love with Lee Hyukjae, but I don’t want to face reality, I know the way he treats me was all an act. Something that would change once the 3 months is over. I need to end this before things get worst. It is only a month and I’m already feeling this way. What if 3 months later I fall so deep that I was unable to stand back up on my own?

 

Staying at home is driving myself crazy more than it should normally be. I called up Seohyun to tell her I’m going to the office. I didn’t care about the reporters or the people pointing fingers. I just need to find something to concentrate on.

 

When I got into the office, as expected, people were pointing fingers, gossiping about my relationship with Hyukjae even though they have been seeing him around most of the time.

 

I had a proposal laid on my table and Seohyun said that the Boss knew I was coming in so he gave me the next upcoming project which was quite unexpected, a clothing line for men. I wasn’t the most familiar with this line and I have never done men’s clothing. I was to co-design with another designer. However, what was most special about his project is that it is tailor made for 1 model, Kim Jaejoong. He is one of the hotest male models in the industry and people are vying for him to model their clothes. However I guess this line of men’s clothing, high quality suits, caught his eye.

 

“They are meeting today in the evening for dinner. I’ll inform Alexander you’ll be coming.” Sulli said as they went to make the arrangements. In the evening, Alexander came and picked me up. He was always the gentleman. Even in school, he was always nice to the ladies.

 

“I saw the new. Congratulations. Now you have no worries about sponsors.” Alexander joked. And how I didn’t want to hear anything about Hyukjae for a while.

 

“Congratulations to you too. For landing this project and furthermore, the hotshot model Kim Jaejoong.” I said, trying to divert the topic, hoping it works. Alexander shared about his ideas on the whole ride to the restaurant. His idea were brilliant, so brilliant to the extend that I have no idea why do I need to help him? However, I am glad he did bring up the topic on hyukjae anymore.

 

Kim Jaejoong was already there when we got there. He look so much better in person as compared to the posters. In the posters, he had already looked stunning. In real life, I feel like he is not real at all. When we arrived at the table, he offered to pull my chair for me, which was a kind gesture.

 

“My Name is Kim Jaejoong. It’s nice to meet you. I’m honored to have such a beautiful designer working together with us.” He said. I didn’t know if he was being polite or was he flirting in broad daylight.

 

“I’m Soobin, Park Soobin. Nice to meet you.” He shook my hand, looking like he was thinking of something before it looked like he had a eurika moment.

 

“You mean the partner of Lee Hyukjae, Park Soobin?” He asked in slight disbelief. To think I had thought he said I was beautiful. He must have just been trying to be nice or something.

 

“If you put it that way.” I said since that’s how to whole world recongise me as. Alexander already know what’s going on so he didn’t look that disturbed. Kim Jaejoong on the other hand looked like he’s been slapped in the face.

 

Dinner was pleasant. We had some small talk here and there. By the end of dinner, Jaejoong seemed more relaxed. I guess he though I was gonna kill him or something. He revealed that he though I was offended by the way he had phrased his sentence and for a moment he though that would intefere with his career. Sincae Lee Hyukjae is kind of a big shot, I guess there’s no way he won’t be worried.

 

“I’m not that out of line. My business is my business. He wouldn’t interefere. Or more of I wouldn’t let him interefere.” I said and he laughed. How I wish I wasn’t branded by Hyukjae maybe I could even have a chance with a nice guy like him.