Memory

Indifferent

Soobin’s POV

 

He was hugging me like he knows me. Who is he? I tried to pull away, but he was stronger than me. I looked to the lady for help.

 

“I’m sorry. I don’t think I know you.” I said, trying to pull away but he wasn’t going to let me go.

 

“Let me go.” I struggled and he finally let me go. I took a few steps back and looked at him.

 

“Who are you?” I asked.

 

“You… You don’t know me?” He asked In disbelief. I though long and hard, till my head hurts.

 

“I don’t know you. You make my head hurt.” I said as my head starts throbbing.

 

“I’m sorry sir, but I think you should give her a break.” The lady said and he back away, going back behind the curtains, drawing them. The lady asked me if I was ok. I nodded my head and told her that we can go try the dress.

 

After trying all of them, I settled with the vintage classy looking dress which had drawn me to it when I saw it, but I decided I should try the others on to see which one looks the nicest.

 

When I left the shop, the guy from the shop was leaning against a car with his hands in my pocket. I didn’t know why but this scene looked familiar.  A scene flashed in front of my eyes, a guy leaning against his car hands in his pocket. I clutched my head in pain. What is happening? I have never felt this way before. When I grunt in pain, he looked up and came to me.

 

“Are you ok?” He looked worried and he tried to keep a distance away from me. I can tell he was trying hard to stay away.  My head is aching so bad I feel like hitting it to drive the pain away.

 

“Do you want me to send you home?” He asked me with concern. I don’t know why but I feel like I know him too. He seems familiar. However when I try to think, my head hurts more and more. I couldn’t help but nod my head.  In the car, I could feel him looking at me from time to time even though I had my eyes closed.

 

When the car stopped, I saw that he had already reached my hotel. He opened the door for me and gave me his hand for support. He helped me to my room and he stopped at the door.

 

“Thank you for sending me back. What’s your name?” I asked him and his expression looks slightly hurt.

 

“My name is Lee Hyukjae.” He said. The name sounded familiar on my tongue.

 

“Thank you Hyukjae.” I said.

 

“Rest well. I’ll see you at the wedding.” With that he left. See me at the wedding. Does this mean that he’s going to be at the wedding as one of the best man? I guess I will find out at the wedding.

 

That night, I got a call from Haemin asking me if I had tried out a dress.

 

“Yeah. I got a nice one.” I said.

 

“That’s good to hear. I was glad you found one you liked. I was worried none would suit your taste.” She said.

 

“I’m glad one did. Hey, um…. I met someone at the store today. He said his name is Lee Hyukjae. Do I know him?” I asked. I heard her gasp as I heard the ruffling of sheets

 

“You met Hyukjae?” her voice sounded shush

 

“Yeah. You know him too?” I asked

 

“He’s Donghae’s brother…” She said, but her sentence seems to be hanging, there was more.

 

“and?”

 

“You don’t remember?” she asked. Was there something that I did not know?

 

“I don’t remember. I don’t even recognise him. He just came up to me and almost killed me with a hug.” I said.

 

“You really don’t know who he is?” Haemin asked me for the nth time.

 

“I don’t know him.” I said and she sighed.

 

“We need to talk. I’ll meet you at the café of your street down the road from your hotel in an hour.” Haemin said. It was 10pm. Is she going to come here in the middle of the night?

 

“Can this wait till tomorrow? It’s so late now.” I said.

 

“I don’t think it can. Your street is packed with people till wee hours in the morning. I will be there.” She said. Haemin is known to be stubborn so there is no use arguing with her. One hour later, I was at the café, waiting for her to appear. No soon after, a car came and she stepped out of it. Donghae is so sweet to send her here, but maybe he just doesn’t trust her to drive herself anywhere. Her expresson didn’t look too good when she walked in, as if she was going to break some horrible news to me. She took a seat as I sipped my drink, waiting for her to say something, like always.

 

“Did something happen Soobin?” She asked.

 

“What do you mean did something happen? I’m perfectly fine.” I said, not know what she was trying to get at.

 

“You’re definitely not fine if you lost 3 months of your memory.” Haemin said as I got a shock from what she said.

 

“I lost 3 months of my memory? What do you mean?”

 

“What was the last thing you remember before leaving for London?”

 

“You sent me off “

 

“Before that.”

 

“I got the offer letter.”

 

“Before that.”

 

“Jaejoong’s fashion show.”

 

“Do you remember anything that happened in between?” She asked me. I tried thinking of it but nothing came to mind. I tried harder and harder till my head hurts like when I saw Hyukjae till it became a full blown throbbing like the beating of a drum in my head.

 

“Soobin, are you alright?” She asked as I clutched my head. The beating just became louder and harder till everything went silent.

 

When I opened my eyes, everything was white. I was in the hospital. I sat up to see Haemin’s eyes all red and how wide her eyes became when she looked at me.

 

“Soobin, are you feeling ok? You shocked the hell out of me.” She said as she helped me up and Donghae walked in behind her.

 

“Hey, how are you feeling?” He asked and I just smiled. However, I am suddenly very curious to know what happened with my memory.

 

“Could you pass me my phone please?” I asked as Haemin brought it to me. I dialled Theodore’s number immediately. I am hoping he’s not having classes now. I needed answered.

 

“Hey Baby, why are you calling me so late, isn’t it close to 1am there?”

 

“Hey, um… something happened and I think only you can give me some answers.” I said and I could feel his mood shift and he became serious.

 

“What happened? Are you hurt?”

 

“I’m in the hospital. But it’s nothing serious. I want to know why I can’t remember parts of my memory.” I said and he was silent for a while.

 

“How did you find out?” He said

 

“So something did happened, causing me to lose my memory?”

 

“I don’t know what happened exactly but Beth told me that when you first came, you were a mess. You drank and partied like hell and one night, you paid for all the things you did. You got hit by a car. You landed on your head and were hospitalised. When you woke up, you were fine, but you were not that girl anymore. You seemed to have forgotten your worries, your problems. The doctor said you body might have wanted to forget it but it wasn’t able to. Therefore through a sudden impact, the memory closed up. It didn’t affect your life so none of us told you anything. I’m sorry Ellie, for not telling you.” Theodore said. I sat there for a while, thinking and processing what was just said to me.

 

“It’s not your fault. It wasn’t a problem till I came back. I’m fine. Go and work ok, I’ll call you later and I’ll update you.” I said. I know he felt bad about it, but it wasn’t something within his control.

 

“Is everything ok?” Haemin asked. I totally forgot that they were here.

 

“Yeah. Everything is fine.” I said and looked at my phone, typing a message to reassure Theodore again before he worries himself to death.

 

“I guess my prediction was right. You lost your memory.” Haemin said.

 

“So who is Lee Hyukjae? Was he someone important?” I asked.

 

“He’s the man you loved. You loved him so much that you left. It’s a complicated story to tell but one day, when you’re better, I’ll tell you.” Haemin stood up and the doors banged opened, revealing a very frantic looking Lee Hyukjae. Oncec he saw us, he practically teleported to my side. He looked like he was going to do something, but I could see from his body action he was controlling it. His eyes were shifting, like he was on high alert. His body was rigid.

 

“Hyukjae, why don’t you come with me?” Haemin asked, trying to bring him out.

 

“Are you alright?” As compared to his stance and actions, his voice came our cool and calm.

 

“I’m ok. Thank you for your concern.” Does that some very distant of me, cause I could see him wince as if in pain from his eyes. Haemin looked at me once more before pulling Hyukjae out of the room.

 

When I was left alone for a while, I started thinking again. How could I have not realised I lost my memory? There should be an occasion I woke up from the hospital without knowing what had happened before. I then recalled an incident where I woke up and Beth told me I drank too much till I heaved so badly, I was crying for the doctors. While thinking about it, I suddenly thought of an incident where the same thing happened. However, I remember slightly that I called someone and within the next moment, this person appeared. However, it wasn’t female, but a man. The environment was somewhere familiar but I have no idea where that is.

 

I could feel the headache creeping back into my head therefore I decided to stop. What was that all about? What part of my memory did I forget? I felt like it was a prime part of my life, suddenly, I felt as if I lost part of my identity. I didn’t want to think too much more so I went to sleep, hoping through my sleep, I might remember something without causing a headache.

 

The next morning, I woke up with someone beside me. That person was sleeping sitting up, arms folded, head lolling from side to side. It was Hyukjae. Was he here the entire night? I looked at him, trying to find something familiar about him, but nothing came to my mind. Haemin said I loved him so much I left him. What does that mean. Did he not love me? Seeing the way he’s treating me now, I don’t see how that was possible. But they always say love is blind. Only the third person was able to see things the most clearly.

 

When he woke up, things became awkward. I didn’t know what to say to him. I don’t know if he knows I don’t remember anything. I don’t even know what does he want from me now.

 

“The doctor said you’re ok now. You just have to take it easy trying to remember, get your memory back. I’ll get you home. Haemin and Donghae had some wedding preparations to do. Haemin made sure I get you back safely.” He said with a weak smile. I could tell he was trying to be nice. It was either that or he was trying to control his own emotions. Even though I don’t know how he is, but I can feel a strong emotion coming from him, like his movements, his actions meant something to me.