Time

Indifferent

Soobin’s POV

 

When I got home, the first thing I did was to check my email. However, What shocked me was the pictures on the internet. It was everywhere, Jaejoong and I in the coffeehouse, on the street. No wonder Hyukjae was angry. He must have thought I was being disloyal to the contract. That was why he had wanted to talk and he didn’t sound happy about it. I guess I need to mention this when I see him. Not like he would care much about me seeing Jaejoong, but I guess it’s our reputation we need to uphold now.

 

After being bombarded by such crazy news, I decided to check my physical mail to see If there are anything to settle, any bills to pay for. However, while sorting through the mail, I saw a letter that made me pinch myself to see if I was not living in a dream right this instant. It was a letter from University of the Arts London. It has one of the world’s top fashion design schools. People dream of going there to study. The letter read that they want to hire me to be one of their lecturers. I seriously think that I am living in a dream right now. A prestigious school I have never dreamt I’d be going has invited me to go to them!

 

I called Haemin immediately as I couldn’t wait to share with her the good news! I, Park Soobin am going to London!

 

“Haemin!”

 

“No need to scream I am not deaf. What’s up with you? You’re never more hyped than I am.”

 

“Guess what! University of the Arts in London asked me to teach at their school!”

 

“WHAT?! OH. MY.GOD. SOOBIN! THIS IS AWESOME!” I can totally hear her jumping up and down in joy for me.

 

“Does this mean you’re taking their offer?” Haemin asked me.

 

“Definitely! I would never turn it down for the world!” I exclaimed. There Is nothing better than this moment.

 

“What about Hyukjae?” Haemin asked softly. Then reality came crashing down on me.  I looked at the letter and saw that they are offering me the position a  month and a half from now which means it’ll be after the time I end things with Hyukjae or more of he ends things with me.

 

“I don’t know.” I said. I can’t tell Haemin that this is all just an act. Even though it is not on my part, but I still can’t tell her.

 

“Soobin, I know it’s a great opportunity. I guess you can discuss this with him and see how it goes?”

 

“Haemin, I don’t think this opportunity is something that can be jeopardised by what he says. This is a once in a lifetime chance. I’m going to go even if it means I have to end things with Hyukjae. If he stops me, I don’t think we’re cut out for each other.” This is the best way to put it. I guess even if I was really with Hyukjae, things will not change.

 

“It’s your call to make. I want you to be happy. If your decision makes you happy, I’ll respect that.” Haemin said and I can hear her smile. Haemin is truly my best friend. I know it’ll be hard to leave but it’s a chance for me to start afresh.

 

“Thank you good friend. Please don’t tell Hyukjae about this. I’ll find a way to tell him. Before that, don’t tell Donghae either.” I said and Haemin understood. This was a big decision I was making and she didn’t want to make things worst than it already is. What Haemin doesn’t know is that this ending has been preordained.

 

Immediately after hanging up with Haemin, I contacted the person whose detailed are on the letter, informing him that I would be accepting the job and I would be glad to meet him in London. Lying on my bed, I looked around at the apartment to see that I have actually lived here for a long time and truly leaving this place would be difficult. I’ll be leaving my friends and family behind, my life will be changed totally. But I think I’d need it. To forget Hyukjae, I’ll need to go to London.

 

When I was about to go to bed, I got a text from Hyukjae.

 

‘I’m sorry I had to work late. I’ll see you tomorrow for lunch? – Hyukjae’

 

‘Sure.  – Soobin’

 

The next day, work was a breeze since I was in an awfully good mood. People were asking me about if my dad was ok and all, but my mind was only fixed on my new job offer. I had to let my boss know. He’s a kind man and I know for sure he would let me go. I helped him much and even though I felt bad about leaving, he said it was for the better and if I was going to come back, I should come back to work for him.

 

“Could you not let Hyukjae know? I’ll tell him on my own.” However, I played safe and didn’t tell him where I was going exactly but only told him I was going to a prestigious fashion design university to teach.

 

During Lunch, Hyukjae looked happy. I was happy too but inside I felt guility. I had no idea how I was suppose to break this news to him. Even though he wouldn’t mind but I just felt that I shouldn’t tell him.

 

“Hyukjae.”

 

“Yeah?” He smiled as he looked up at me.

 

“About the pictures on the internet.” His smile faded and he looked more troubled.

 

“I don’t think it’s what it is.” He said. How can he trust me even though the pictures were not true in the first place.

 

“I just bumped into him on the street. I didn’t know it’ll turn out like this.” I said.

 

“It’s fine. As long as it’s not true, it’s fine.”He said and he started playing his food. Lee Hyukjae Never plays with his food.

 

“Are you alright?” I asked.

 

“Yeah. Just tired.” He said. Maybe I shouldn’t have mentioned that during lunch. 

 

“You should go home and rest, You’ve been busy for so long. You deserve a break.” I said. Now come to see, he really looked tired. His eyebags were getting obvious and he looks slightly pale.

 

“I’m going to go home after lunch with you.” He said. Rather than waiting, I told him we could go now. All his energy seemed to be drained from his body as he went into the car and closed his eyes. He must have been really tired. On the car ride, he fell asleep and his head rested on my shoulder. I let him rest while Yunho drove us to my office. I told him to head to his place first. I can be back slightly later.

 

When we’ve reached his place, I shook him awake. He was still groggy and half asleep as we went up to his penthouse. Without having to nag at him or saying anything, he walked straight into his bedroom, took off his blazer and went under the covers. I watched him as he drifted off to sleep immediately. I went to the side of the bed he was at and brushed the hair off from his face. Looking at him, I came to realise I was going to leave him for good soon. I gave him a peck on the forehead before I went back to the great room where Yunho was waiting for me. I allowed him to drive me back to my office since Hyukjae was asleep.

 

3 weeks left…

 

The next week, I was busy with the fashion showcase with Jaejoong that Hyukjae and I met only for a few brief moments throughout the week. Alexander made the outfits to be of such great fashion. I didn’t know suits could be made in such a way. I looked at Jaejoong come out with each suit and boy, did he have the figure to wear them all. Alexander was in charge of the clothing while I was more of in charge of the flow of the show itself. Jaejoong was the main leads alongside other models.

 

Day after day we rehearsed until it settled to perfection. Alexander insisted that I came out with him as the designer of this season. I didn’t even do much to be credited for the designs he came up with but he insisted. On the day of the show, there were many fan girls at the entrance waiting to see their favourite male model walk the runway. As the models walk out one after another with the finely designed suits, I cannot help but fix my eye on one of Jaejoong’s suits. It was classic yet it has a very powerful aura behind it. I knew that it was expensive to buy a designer suit, but I guess this was the least I could do. Alexander was kind enough to give it to me. I felt bad about it but he said I could repay him through dinner and drinks. It’s not that he’s interested in me, but he was more of wanting to remain friends even after I’m gone. He said it was a parting gift.

 

“It’ll suit him well.” Alexander said. He knows what I’m up to even though I didn’t mention anything.

 

2 weeks….

 

Hyukjae and I met for lunch a couple of times since he had much clientele coming to Korea over the past few days which means he had to entertain them and meet up with them to discuss some business. I know all these ‘entertainment’ consists of alcohol and smoke.

 

“Don’t drink too much.” I told him as he drops me off at my office. He just smiled before the windows got rolled up as the car drove off. He never ever listens. He will regret when he gets that killer headache.

 

That night, at close to 12 midnight, my doorbell rang. I couldn’t think of who it would be. It was so late in the night. Haemin had told me she’ll be over at Donghae’s so she won’t be back. I looked through the security camera to see that it was Hyukjae, drunk. I opened the door to have him swaying into my living room. He was high on alcohol and has no idea what he was talking about. Yunho came shortly after and apologised as Hyukjae insisted he came and find you to show me how ‘not drunk’ he is.

 

“You can go home Yunho. I’ll take it from here. You’ve worked hard.” I said and he left. I supported Hyukjae onto the couch before he knocks into anything or even worst, hurt himself. I went into the kitchen and got a wet towel and place it on his forehead. However, he kept fidgeting and the towel kept slipping off his head. I think letting him lay on the couch wasn’t an option so I pulled him up and supported him to my room where he could lie flat. I prepared a bucket in case he wants to thrown up, which I hope he would not.

 

When on the bed, Hyukjae stopped moving and his breathing became deep which indicate that he had fallen asleep. I watch him as his chest rise and fall in a consistent pace. I had my arms folded on the bed and my chin on the back of my hand. I watched him as he slept. Time is ticking and I want it to stop.

 

Looking at him, makes it harder for me to leave day after day. I intend to not tell him about me leaving. We’re going to end this contract and all will come to an end. I know I’m going to get hurt. I had dived in knowing something like this would happen. It happened and I need to stop it all before I drown into oblivion. Without realising, I  drifted off into dreamland, sitting beside Hyukjae.