Mine, Yours (part 2)

Dawn of the Worlds
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: Sorry for the long wait for the second part guys; I've been busy with reallife and the prospect of getting a new job, hence the long wait.

Hopefully this almost-7K, 12 pages part makes up for it :)

 

 

 

 

 

Just as the first sun’s light hit the edge of her bed, Iola woke up. Her mind was still fuzzy, hovering between the edge of sleep and consciousness, but with every second that passed the haze of dream lifted away.

There was a heavy weight slung around her waist and Iola peeked over her shoulder, smiling instantly at the sight of Yixing’s sleeping face. The warm air emitted from his slightly open mouth hit her neck in the most delicious way and she squirmed in his hold, turning so she could face him.

Yixing mumbled and stirred and she held her breath but he only tightened his grip on her before promptly falling back to sleep. Iola watched on as his chest rose up and down, his hot breath fanning her forehead and waited a few more minutes before lifting a finger to trace over the contour of his face, taking comfort in his near presence.

Last night’s feast was awkward, to say the least. She was seated with Arand at the head of the table, as he was the guest of honor, while the rest of the Elders and the Guardians were scattered around them. Yixing himself was seated just across the table from her but even that small distance seemed like an ocean, what with this thick wall of ominous silence between them.

It didn’t help that Arand took her attention the whole night, regaling her with stories of his kingdom and asking him numerous questions about spirits and Zolora itself. The prince himself was a charming man, Iola had to admit, neither haughty or arrogant as his position may allowed, yet polite and pleasant and the hours spend in conversation with him was gone in a blink.

Once or twice Iola could feel a heated gaze on her, but every time she looked up Yixing was in deep conversation with Nemera, who had seated herself next to him. Their heads would be close to each other, and more often than not they would share quiet chuckles and smiles. Every time she saw them together that same tendril of anger and jealousy flared inside her chest and she quickly turned away.

The feast lasted well into the night and by the time it was over she was almost dead on her feet. Yixing went with her back to her room as usual but there were only silence between them and Iola was too exhausted to try to make some conversation. The moment her head hit the pillow she was instantly asleep, barely registering Yixing slipping in besides her.

As Iola trailed her finger over Yixing’s nose, she wondered what will happen once he wakes up.  They were not fighting, at least she thought they didn’t, but there still lingered an almost visible strain between them, an unresolved tension.

She sighed before carefully lifted his arm from around her. Slowly, silently she get up from the bed and tip-toed into the bathroom. Even as she washed her face the thought of this tension between her and Yixing plagued her mind, making her uneasy and rather miserable. Their relationship had been smooth-sailing all these times, still in their honeymoon-phase even after more than one year of being together and so this sudden discord shook and rattled her.

Yixing was still asleep when she emerged from the bathroom, and after dropping a kiss on his cheek she went out of the room, closing the door softly behind her. Remus and Romulus were waiting on the corridor outside as usual, standing up when they saw her with their tongues lolling out and tails wagging excitedly.

Iola chuckled as she bent down to their muzzle. “Good morning to you too, guys. Ready for our walk?”

The drachensteins yelped and bounded forward, eager to start their trek. Iola grinned as she skipped after them, feeling much lighter than before.

The sun was barely shining through the horizon when they bounded out of the castle. It was strange that back in her own worlds she was not much of an early riser, preferring to sleep in whenever she could, but here she would always woke up the moment dawn was breaking, no matter how late she fell asleep the night before.

But she had to admit that she enjoyed these moments of stillness, when the castle and the city was quiet and all she could feel was the world waking up to a new day. It was only her and her drachensteins and the spirits around her.

“Good morning, human girl.” Makani whizzed by with a gust of wind that blew her hair all over her face.

A tall tree just up ahead swayed and shook, waving its branches. “Good morning, Iola.” Grandmother Livne’s face peeked out from the tree’s bark.

Iola waved back to the tree, almost tripping over a rock but several vines shoot from the ground and caught her before she fell.

“You should be more careful, dear one,” a kind, motherly voice chided her.

Iola grinned down at the woman peering up from the soil underneath her. “Thanks for that, Mother Teirra.”

More and more spirits came and Iola greeted them all while up ahead Remus was chasing an atavo around, nipping its tail playfully while Romulus rolled around in the still dewy golden grass.

Suddenly the sound of metal clanking caught her ears , making her frown. Normally it would still be at least an hour before everyone else woke up but apparently it was not the case today. Turning around, she concluded the sound came from the open field behind the castle’s walls, which was where she wanted to go in the first place. Calling up for the drachensteins, they quickly flanked her sides as she walked to investigate the sound further. The hum in her head increased just slightly, letting her know that the spirits were still around in case any danger arises and the comforting thought quickened her steps.

The sight that greeted her once she turned the corner was not something she expected. The Bonelands’ prince was in a middle of a spar with one of his guards, exchanging blows after blows, making sparks fly every time their swords clashed. The prince was far superior, though, evidenced by the easy way he evaded his opponent’s attacks and delivered attacking blows rapidly. 

A little farther away there was a small, colorful tent erected, the prince’s servant standing by. Iola squinted her eyes and thought that the tent looked almost Bedouin, with lush carpet blanketing the grass, plush pillows that looked soft and comforting, and several low tables filled with refreshment.  

Iola stood on her spot, unsure of what to do. It would be rude if she did not at least offer some greeting to the price. But she also didn’t want to disturb him on his morning training.

Her problem was solved when Arand saw her and immediately stopped his training. He bowed as his guard went down on one knee.

“My lady, forgive me. I didn’t see you there.”

Iola waved her hand in dismissal. “No, no, I haven’t been here for long anyway. Please, continue on, I can leave.”

But Arand already gave his scimitar to his guard, walking towards her and Iola stepped back. She wondered why she didn’t notice before, but Arand wasn’t wearing any clothes, his broad shoulders and muscled chest gleaming with the sheen of sweat. Well, at least he was still wearing pants, Iola thought as she glanced down quickly, but the pants he wore was riding so low on his hips Iola thought it would fall down with every step he take.

While the fact that he was bare-chested didn’t seem to bother him in the least, Iola was uneasy about it. She wasn’t a prude or anything, but the thought of someone she just met last night in a state of undress like that didn’t really sit well with her.

Arand had a slight smirk on, as if he knew what was on her mind and Iola could barely held her scoff. She wondered whether was a common occurrence among the people of Bonelands, seeing how the prince and Nemera had the same nonchalance about the whole matter.

Luckily another attendant came along with a set of clothes, to which Arand quickly put on. The robe was loose and still showed a generous view of the man’s chest, but at least it offered some coverage.

“So,” Arand tied the robe around his waist easily before waving his hand, directing her over to the tent his servants had prepared.  “I didn’t expect to see you this early.”

Iola sat down on the plush carpet, leaning on one of the plush pillow. “I usually wake up around this time. Usually I would be taking a walk around the castle; it’s my most favorite time of the day to talk to the spirits.”

Arand bowed slightly. “Then my presence here has disturbed your routine. Forgive me, my lady, I could practice somewhere else tomorrow.”

“Don’t be nonsense. You are a guest here Arand, you are welcome to practice where you want.” She grinned at the prince. “Though I must say I was surprised to find you here too, I thought you might want to sleep in considering your long journey here.”

Arand gave her a wry grin. “I was tired, yes, but a lifelong habit of waking up with the sun had burned deeply into me, I could not sleep more even if I wanted to.”

Iola accepted the drink one of the servant offered her at Arand’s insistence, who said it was a special beverage from his country. The hot drink was delicious, warming her stomach and leaving sweetness at the back of her tongue with a hint of pomegranate and citrus. Arand seemed pleased at her liking of it, and from there they converse easily, eating bits of the food laid out on the table that seemed never-ending, being brought over again and again by the prince’s servants. Several of Arand’s guards stood close by at the tent’s entrance and Iola quickly noticed something different about them. 

“I’ve just realized that some of your guards are females. Including Nemera, from last night.”

“Yes, that is true. Why, does it seem strange to you to have females as part of the army?”

“Well….no, not really, just….different, I guess.” Iola shrugged. “I have never seen females being employed as personal guards, especially for a prince like yourself.”

Arand chuckled as he poured some more drink into Iola’s glass. “I understand this may seem strange to outsider, but for us in Bonelands, this is nothing unusual.”

Iola sent him a questioning gaze and Arand grinned. “My kingdom is vast and great, but most of it is harsh desert. Life is difficult there, so every man and woman must do their part to help one another. We do not differentiate work or titles based on someone’s gender. If a woman is strong and capable of weaponry, she may join the army and be given the same respect as any man.”

Iola nodded in awe. This was the first time she ever found a semblance of gender equality in this world, and the thought brought a pleased smile to her face.

“I think that is very commendable.”

The prince shrugged easily. “It is just the way it is done in my kingdom, we appreciate and value strength, especially in our spouses.”

“Spouses? You mean….like husbands and wives?”

“Yes.”

“Does that apply to you, too?”

“Of course! Especially because I am the crown prince and will someday rule my people, my future wife must be someone strong, someone I can depend on to stand by me during hard times.”

“I see…..”

“Now that I’ve answered your question, may I ask one of my own?”

Iola nodded, her attention was slightly turned to feeding Remus and Romulus some of the sweetmeats from her plate.

“The man from last night, one of the Guardians. I think he has a dimple on his cheek?”

Iola lifted her head, blinking at Arand. “You mean, Yixing? What about him?”

“Well, I’ve seen the way he looks at you, the way he treated you. Tell me, is he your betrothed?”

 Iola choked on air. She coughed and spluttered, hitting her chest repeatedly to get rid of the lump blocking her airway. Arand only looked on calmly as he gave her a glass of water, waiting patiently as she tried to regulate her breathing.

“B-betrothed?”

“Yes.”

Iola felt her eyes almost popping out of its socket. Even after almost two years of living in this world, some of its words and cultures still surprised her. Really, who in the 21st century still say betrothed, even? And what does it even mean? Wasn’t betrothed means that the person in question will get married someday, like perhaps being engaged in her world?

Oh, no no no no, she shook her head rapidly. She and Yixing never talk about marriage or even anything remotely like that, no matter how serious their relationship is.

Arand seemed to take her gesture as the answer. “Really, you are not? I was pretty sure that you were,” he mused as he his stubbly chin, before turning back to Iola.

“If you are not betrothed, then who is he to you?”

Again Iola choked on air. Even Remus and Romulus lifted their heads up, staring at her with concerned worry though Iola just waved a hand to dismiss them. Arand was still waiting patiently and Iola fumbled to explain, racking her brain to find the appropriate words. What is her relationship with Yixing?

Boyfriend?

No, that sounded too juvenile. And the term could barely scratch the surface of what she had with the man, of everything they’ve been through together. Besides, she didn’t think the people of this world would understand the term.

Partner?

That sounded too clinical and business-like. And she didn’t like how the word seems cold and distant, lacking the warmth and safety or affection and kindness, of which Yixing has an abundant amount of.

Lover?

At that Iola felt her cheeks heated, her mind traitorously replaying memories of heated nights and gentle caresses and low groans breathed into her ear. Sure Yixing sneaked into her room more nights than not –she wasn’t even sure he ever went back to his own room- and heck, they sure do a lot of things there besides sleeping! But hell, if she would let others knew about it!

A small gust of wind blew her hair, a scoffing voice sounded low in her ear. “Oh please, human girl! Why don’t you just tell this prince over here the truth, that you and that Guardian spend your nights together?”

Iola spluttered and flailed her arms wildly. “Makani! That is not something you just tell someone out of the blue! And besides, no one knows about that!”

“……really? No one knows?” Makani deadpanned.

The tree just beside the tent swayed, as if it was laughing heartily. Glancing up, Iola could see that the tree was indeed, laughing. At the glare Iola threw him the tree calmed down, though its smaller branches still shook and swayed.

“Forgive me, Chosen Soul,” the tree said with a grin still curling its mouth. “But Makani is right. Everyone knows about you and the Guardian of Healing.”

Iola groaned, burying her face in her hands as she felt heat creeping up on her face. A small gasp caught her ears, and she peeked from behind her fingers to see Arand gaping.

“Iola….” His eyes were wide, mouth opened in shock. “Did you….did you just talked to a spirit?”

As if to answer his question the wind blew a little bit harder, almost knocking the glasses on the table down. Arand looked around in bewilderment as the tent’s flaps were flapping wildly.

“Yes, it is one of the spirits.” Iola waved a hand dismissively. “Arand, meet Makani, the spirit of the wind.”

Arand’s eyes still roving around, seemingly not knowing where to look. “W-well…it is an honor to meet you, great spirit.”

Makani’s laugh was loud and booming. “Great spirit? Oh, I know I’m going to like this human!”

Iola scoffed. “That’s just because he doesn’t know the real you. Once he does, I’d doubt he would call anything great about you.”

“I’ll have you know that I am great.” Makani huffed, letting the wind concentrated in one place only, which was around Iola, blowing her hair all over her face.

“A great puff of hot air, you mean.” Iola swatted the wind, while simultaneously trying to keep her flyaway

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter