Family Outing

Dawn of the Worlds
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Time frame: Guardians' childhood.

 

 

 

 

Joonmyun has been in the Sanctuary for several years before the Teachers and Matrons finally managed to gather all twelve boys. Baekhyun, Jongdae and Yixing had come just a few short months after Tao arrived, completing the future generation of Guardians.

Even though the Teachers had divided the boys into two groups, where each will be led by Joonmyun and Wufan, they still insisted and encouraged all twelve to spend time together as a whole, because they are one family, after all.

The proposed outing was one of the bonding ways the Teachers suggested and the twelve of them had been excited over the prospect of being by themselves, with no guards or other adults’ supervision as the Teachers had promised. Joonmyun had his doubt over watching over ten loud, rambunctious, mischievous kids (because even if Luhan and Minseok were older than him, the two boys can be as handful as the others) but he figured it’ll be alright when he have Wufan to help him.

With that thought in mind he woke up early on the appointed day, quickly washed up and went to wake Wufan up, knowing perfectly well the other boy was not a morning person by any means and would need numerous prodding and shaking before he would even open his eyes.

After two knocks he opened the door. “Good morning, Wu-“

His words died in his throat, eyes widening in horror when he saw his friend hovering a few centimeters above his bed. The other boy was obviously still sounds asleep even as he floated in the empty air.

“Joonmyun? What are you doing just standing there?”

Joonmyun turned around, mouth still gaping wide as he spotted Minseok behind him. Wordlessly he raised a finger and pointed inside the room. Minseok frowned, brushing past him to get inside before his own eyes also widened.

“By the Sacred Tree!”

Minseok’s loud yell managed to woken Wufan up and the other boy blinked sleepily at them, still not registering of their distress.

“W-wha….? What’s wrong?”

Two shaky fingers rose up to point and Wufan blinked some more, hands grappling here and there to find his missing blanket. When his hand only met with empty air Wufan rubbed his eyes tiredly, looked down and immediately fell down onto his bed with a loud screech before floating back up again, limbs flailing everywhere in a panic when he couldn’t feel solid surface underneath him.

Needless to say, there was a small commotion afterwards. The Teachers were informed immediately, poked and prodded the boy in question before congratulating Wufan on the emergence of his gift. It was a of luck that Azam, the Guardian of Flight, just returned from the frontline a few days ago and was able to come to the Sanctuary to help the boy with his newly found ability. It goes without saying that Wufan won’t be joining them anytime soon, not when the poor boy keep levitating and couldn’t even come down to solid ground.

The Teachers had asked whether Joonmyun wanted to postpone the outing to another day. His brain screamed at him to take the offer but when he turned to see ten pair of eyes pleading at him piteously, his weak heart knew he couldn’t refused them.

He just sent a silent prayer to the Tree that they would manage to pass the day in one piece.

And that the Matrons have a stock of painkiller potions because he has the nagging suspicion he would be having a massive headache by the time today ends.

 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

 

They had barely reached the woods behind the Sanctuary when the madness began.

“Kyungsoo! Don’t even think about it!” Joonmyun screeched, running as fast as he can to get to the smaller boy.

Kyungsoo turned huge eyes at him and Joonmyun hardened himself towards the pout he knew was coming.

“But it’s hot and I want to swim!”

Joonmyun gently pulled the other boy away, casting a worried glance towards the rapid current of the river. “Not here, Soo, this part of the river is too deep.”

“But it’s really, really hot!” Kyungsoo stomped his little feet and the ground shook a bit, Joonmyun quickly looped a protecting arm around the other boy’s shoulder. He should talk to the Teachers once they get home about the rapid development of Kyungsoo’s gift.

“I know, but just not here, Kyungsoo. Maybe somewhere up ahead where it’s shallower.”

Kyungsoo still pouted but slowly he stepped back from the river’s edge. “You promise?”

Joonmyun nodded furiously. “Of course, Soo. Once we find a safer spot for swimming, you can be the first one to jump in.”

Joonmyun huffed a relived breath when Kyungsoo nodded reluctantly even with a pout still on, only to turn around and gasped.

“Baekhyun! Jongdae! Chanyeol! Put down those sticks before you gouge someone’s eyes out!”

Jongdae only stuck his tongue out before jabbing at Chanyeol with his wooden stick. “Take that, you evil pirate!”

Chanyeol leaped to the side to evade the attack agilely. “No one can catch the amazing, fearsome pirate!”

“We’ll get you soon!”

“I’d like to see you try!”

Baekhyun swung his own stick to the left, smacking Chanyeol’s waist and the taller boy fell down to the ground with a howl of pain.

“We captured the pirate!” Jongdae crowed, hands on hips in victory pose before bending down to poke Chanyeol.

“We are the mighty knights!” Baekhyun danced and leaped around the fallen boy in a crazy dance.

The two boys began to prod and poke Chanyeol, preventing him from getting up. Chanyeol wriggled and squirmed out of their sticks’ jabs but couldn’t escape. After one particular hard poke that landed sharply on his stomach he growled. “I’ll get you for this!”

Faster than the other two could react, Chanyeol grabbed their ankles and pull the two boys down, before tackling them both and rolled them around on the ground.

Joonmyun shrieked internally, head already filled with thoughts of cuts and injuries and dirty clothes, already taking a step forward to separate the boys apart when another loud scuffle came to his attention.

Jongin and Sehun were a bit farther off, rolling on the ground in a much more aggressive way compared to the other three boys’ play fight judging by the small punches and hair pulling thrown in. Joonmyun’s eyes widened in horror as he quickly marched over to them before separating them apart with some difficulty.

“Jongin! Sehun! No fighting!”

“He started it first!” Sehun pointed an accusing finger at Jongin, lisp more palpable than ever.

“Well, he kneed me in the stomach!” Jongin retorted.

“Because you said my lisp is ugly!”

“Well, it is! Your lisp is ugly, your hair is ugly, and you’re ugly!”

“Jongin! Enough!!”

Sehun looked seconds away from wailing, lips already trembling and eyes blinking furiously to hold back his tears. Though Jongin didn’t look much better; his face was red all over from emotions, his own eyelashes already wet.

Joonmyun stifled a sigh. Ever since Sehun came to the Sanctuary Jongin has been acting out, being wild and hostile and provoking Sehun any chance he got. Which puzzled and concern Joonmyun and Wufan; they had thought that the two boys will get along well since the two were almost the same age but apparently not.

He bent down to ruffle Sehun’s hair. “Hush baby, don’t cry. It’s too nice a day to be crying.”

Besides him Joonmyun can feel Jongin’s smaller body stiffened, but he ignored it at the moment to wipe Sehun’s tears. He looked up and caught Luhan’s eyes from across the clearing observing them and the older boy nodded at Joonmyun’s pleading gaze, waving a hand over at them.

“Now then,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter