Love Is A Battlefield

Dawn of the Worlds
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Time frame: a year and a half after the end of DotW

 

 

 

Yixing didn’t remember how the conversation turned this way. One moment, he was telling Iola of the numerous training he and his brothers received as young students before becoming Guardians. From politics to government studies (because all Guardians will become Elders after their time is up, meaning that they will govern the country afterwards), to regular martial arts training and weaponry (the Teachers always insisted on this, repeating numerously that they shouldn’t just rely only on their special gifts and abilities in hostile situation but should also have a backup skills).

That last piece of information Iola’s interest and she bombarded him with all kind of question of what kind of martial arts do they practice and what kinds of weapons do they usually use and so on.

…..Alright, so maybe he did have some guess on how the conversation turned the way it did.

Still, doesn’t mean that Yixing would agree to her idea.

“Why do you want to learn them anyway, Iola?”

There was a small scrunch on her forehead and Yixing braced himself. He’d learned to read her like an open book and knew that gesture to mean that she was being stubborn.

“Why wouldn’t I, Yixing? You have to admit that it would be a useful skill for me to learn.”

“Yes, but why? It’s not like you are in any danger.” He nudged his chin at the drachensteins bounding besides them. “Remus and Romulus are always with you wherever you are; they’re as good as your own personal guards. Besides, the others and I are always with you too to guard you from any harm.”

Iola huffed, her bangs fluttered slightly from her exhaled breath and Yixing resisted the urge to smooth it back. “I know, Yixing. But I hate feeling helpless, like the perpetual damsel in distress!”

Yixing couldn’t help his scoff. “I don’t think any damsel, in distress or not, would have the kind of power you yield over elements of the whole world.”

She glared as she slapped her arm. It hardly hurt, but Yixing still clutched his arm in mocking agony, stifling a grin when she rolled her eyes.

“You know what I mean.” Her hand rubbed the spot she previously hit, a silent apology. “I appreciate everything you and the others do, but I still hate that I seem to always rely on you guys for protection.”

“You know that we do it because we want to.”

“I know, it’s just….” Iola ruffled her hair, frustration making her eyes shone even brighter. “I like to learn some kind of self-defense, just something so I don’t have to depend on you guys for everything.”

Yixing couldn’t deny the logic in her words, but he still tried to dissuade it. “Iola, those lessons are not easy. Believe me, I’ve done that. It’s hard and you might get hurt, also.”

Iola sighed, before reaching up a hand to trail her fingers up his cheek before it settled on his nape. Pulling his head down slightly she leaned up on tiptoes to plant a gentle kiss on his lips. Yixing frown in disapproval when she pulled back.

“You’re not playing fair.”

Iola had a smug grin plastered on. “I never claimed to.” Her grin turned softer then as she leaned up for another kiss. “Please Yixing, could I learn some martial arts too?”

Yixing knew he was lost when she planted several more soft kisses on his lips.

 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

 

Needless to say, Wufan was ecstatic over the idea; he’d always agree to any thing that meant more of Iola’s protection anyway. Joonmyun was rather reluctant for the same reason Yixing have, but even he couldn’t deny the logic reason behind the idea.

Wufan was already rattling off all kinds of martial arts and the many different kinds of weapons they have in their disposal that she could learn when Yixing try to persuade her again.

“Are you sure about this, Iola?”

By the way she took a deep breath he knew she resisted the urge to roll her eyes. “Yes, Yixing, I’m sure about it.”

Wufan finished his long explanation with a wide smile. “So, what do you want to learn?”

Iola tapped her nose in thought. “I’m not sure about the martial arts, I don’t know much about them. You could probably choose which one you think would be suited for me best.”

“Great! I think you’d do well in-“

“But I do know what kind of weaponry I want to learn,” she quickly cut Wufan off. “I want to learn archery.”

Yixing raised his eyebrows in curiosity. “Archery? Any particular reason for that?”

Iola shrugged easily. “I always have a thing for archers; Blackhawk, Legolas, Katniss…..they always seem so cool with their bow and arrows.”

Yixing knew the bafflement on his face was reflected on his brothers’ faces too. None of the names she rattled off ring a bell to him, so he figured they must be people from her own world. Though he couldn’t understand why they would be cool; does the arrows from her world release gust of wind to make the temperature cooler?

Wufan’s grin was stretching from ear to ear. “Well then, I know the perfect teacher for you if you want to learn archery.”

“Oh? Who?”

“Me.”

 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

 

The lesson started bright and early the next day, on the open field located behind the castle. Iola looked here and there in interest, asking question about everything.

“So this is where you practiced? How come I’ve never seen you practice before; I always saw the castle’s soldiers here, but never you guys.”

“It’s because we usually did our practice when you have the council assembly with the Elders,” Tao replied.

“We always take turns anyway,” Sehun added as he took out his longswords from its scabbard. “While some of us guard you then the rest will be here practicing.”

Iola looked on interestedly as Sehun peered at his sword against the sunlight, checking the sharpness of the blade. “Do all of you have your own weapons?”

“We do,” Luhan answered as he matched his pace with hers, his own mace and chain swinging by his side. “When we were still training at the Sanctuary the Teachers made sure that we learned every kind of weaponry skill but then let us choose which one we are most comfortable with, making it our personal weapon.”

Up ahead Wufan waved a hand over to Iola, leading her away to the small patch of field where rows of straw targets were line up next to each other as Yixing followed silently behind them. On the side was where the equipment was stored and Wufan picked up his own, a large, sleek black longbow with golden strings on its curves.

“Don’t worry, you’ll probably use one much smaller than this,” Wufan chuckled as he noticed the slightly anxious look on Iola’s face as she caught sight of the size of the bow. “This one is specifically made for me, so it’s larger and a bit heavier than the usual.”

Iola nodded and looked on in rapture as Wufan slung the quiver of arrows across his back. “Will I have one made for me too?”

“We’ll see, depend on how good you are in this. For now, you can use the regular practice ones.”

She followed him silently as he went to stand some distance from the target, grabbing an arrow from the quiver and nocked it into place. His pose was confident as his hand let go of the string and the arrow flew in a soft hiss.

Iola clapped excitedly when it hit the target dead in the center, quickly asking Wufan to shoot some more. Wufan had a rare smile on his face, large and wide and showing his gums as he ruffled her hair affectionately and obeyed her wish. With each and every arrow that Wufan released that hit its mark, Iola’s eyes grew even wider in admiration.

Yixing had to admit that there was a certain kind of grace in the way Wufan look while he was shooting. It was the way his eyes squinted in concentration, one muscled arm pulled the bow’s string taut as the arrow’s tail feathers kiss his lips. With a soft exhale of breath, almost like a sigh, his arrow flew free from its restraint, whizzing through the air confidently until it hit its mark.

His leader had always been an imposing man; height towering everyone in vicinity with a calm, strong aura that commandeered immediate respect. Yixing was also not blind to the other man’s physical good looks; he had seen enough women giggle behind their hands at the sight of the tall Guardian whenever they roamed the city.

Yixing never pay much attention to it, even sharing amused chuckles and mischievous gr

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter