What Could Have Been

Dawn of the Worlds
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

This is a double update, so please check the previous chapter :)

Time frame: around  five months after the end of DotW

 

 

 

Glasnant observed his surroundings with sharp eyes. The Fort has been a beehive of activities ever since the news arrived, and his staffs have been busy day and night preparing for the arrival.

“My Lord.”

The ruler turned to see his personal manservant. “Ah, Adana. Is everything ready?”

The young man nodded respectfully. “Everything is in place, my Lord.”

Anything Glasnant was about to say was forgotten when the booming sound of conch shell horns was sounded and he dismissed his servant with a wave of his hand, looking expectantly ahead. He straightened his dark blue royal robe, giving himself a cursory glance just to make sure his outfit was spotless before stepping out the fort’s massive threshold. From his peripheral vision he could see four presences stepping silently besides him, and he looked up to see his companions, all decked in the finest garbs they have.

Vadim smiled as he ran a hand through his hair, a shorter cut he’d sported just for the occasion, with soft, pale pink curls framing his face. “They’re right on time.”

Zeev grinned, his eyes crinkling into crescent moons. “I can’t wait. It has been too long since we saw her.”

A scoff was emitted by Alik who had a small frown on. “Just as long as she doesn’t pull any disappearing act again or anything else like that. I’m not spending any more time looking after her again.”

Glasnant shook his head fondly, grinning when Itzal’s shadow bumped his First Commander playfully. “You’d love that, don’t lie, Alik.”

The ruler ignored his friend’s indignant outburst and instead walked calmly ahead, nodding and smiling slightly at the rows of citizens lining the street. The sun was shining brightly, giving rare warmth to the otherwise chilly, winter day. Most, if not all, of Kahu’s citizens left their homes and stood in a line, waiting eagerly as they craned their heads around. There was an air of excitement in the air and Glasnant couldn’t blame them; it was a historical event, indeed.

For the first time in centuries, Zolora had sent a diplomatic group in peace to Teima.

Before long Glasnant can see them, a group of riders on peludas followed with many carts behind them. The riders slowed down once they reached the city’s borders, their peludas trotting slowly along the city’s street as people cheered and waved.

“No royal carriages?”

Alik scoffed as he laid a hand over his eyes, peering against the bright sunlight. “I told you she’d never use one, Zeev. I bet she’s on one of the peludas, the one in the front.”

Vadim chuckled as he shook his head fondly. “She doesn’t change much, does she?”

Glasnant kept his eyes towards the front rider, never letting his eyes strayed until they reached him. A servant quickly took the peluda’s reins, but even before he could offer help the rider had jumped down agilely on its own, now walking surely towards Glasnant. The two drachensteins that were before galloping beside the peluda also stepped forward, panting slightly out of breath.

A small smile tugged the end of his lips up as Glasnant bowed slightly. “Welcome to Teima, Chosen Soul.”

Iola rolled her eyes even as a big grin painted her face, brushing off her tunic and pants from dust. “What’s with the formality?”

“Well, decorum does demand that.”

“Perhaps so, but what is some royal conducts and etiquettes among friends?”

The next second Glasnant was engulfed with a small, warm pair of arms. He stiffened a bit, before chuckling and bended down to hug her back, feeling more relieved than he showed. Little lady was the same after all, even after everything that has happen and months of not seeing each other.

Much too soon she let him go and quickly bounded to his friends, already calling Zeev over and Glasnant swallowed down his sigh. Instead, he turned to the other riders, nodding to the twelve men.

“Welcome to the Gresystone Fort, Guardians.”

Wufan and Joonmyun stepped forward as the rest of the men nodded back.

“Thank you, Your Majesty.”

Glasnant started at the title the smaller leader used. “There’s no need for such formality.”

“You are still the ruler of the country, and we are still on a formal diplomatic mission here.”

“Perhaps so, but like little lady had said,” He glanced behind his shoulder to see Iola laughing as Itzal enveloped her in a big, shadowy hug. “What are rules and conduct among friends? Please, call me Glasnant.”

“Very well, Glasnant then.” Joonmyun had a bigger smile than before as he looked around him in wonder. “I have to admit that I am curious about this place; I’ve heard a lot about it from Iola.”

“Then you are welcome to explore it during your stay here. How was your trip?”

“It was alright, nothing happened much,” Wufan answered shortly.

“Even so, I am sure the long journey has tired you. Come, my staffs have prepared rooms for you and your entourage, perhaps you would like to rest for a while.”

Glasnant turned to the sight of Iola grumbling as Alik pulled a strand of his hair playfully, Vadim barely hiding a laugh behind his hand as she shook his arm, asking for help. Alik caught the ruler’s gaze first and immediately let her go, face quickly flushing bright red. Iola only rolled her eyes at that and let Vadim off, walking briskly towards Glasnant and the Guardians.

“It’s so good to see you all again,” she exclaimed joyfully.

Glasnant smirked in mocking. “We saw each other often enough, little lady; it was just two days ago the last time you popped into my fireplace.”

“Yeah well, talking through fireplaces is not the same as meeting in person, Glasnant.”

Zeev snorted. “That’s an understatement of the century.”

Alik grinned, jerking his chin toward his friend. “Did you know that Zeev here screamed like a girl the first time you appeared in our fireplace, all those months ago when you first invited us to Zolora?”

“Hey! I did not scream like a girl! And I was justified; it’s not every day a floating head appear and talk to us in the middle of a roaring fire!”

“Yes, it was surprising but that didn’t change the fact that you did scream like a girl, Zeev,” Itzal said quietly as a sly grin spread on his face.

Vadim nodded, beaming as he turned back to Iola. “All jokes aside, it was amazing how you could do that, Iola. I have never seen any magic like that, enabling us to communicate even across a large distance.”

Iola grinned sheepishly, waving off the admiration easily. “Well, we have Fintan to thanks for that; I wouldn’t be able to manage something like that if it wasn’t for his help.”

Glasnant would like to object to that. He had no doubt in his mind that Iola was capable of much more than that, but decided to not voice it out. Instead he gestured for her to come inside the fort.

“Now then. We’ve prepared a welcome feast later in the evening, but perhaps you would like to retire to your room first to freshen up? I will ask my servant to direct you to it.”

Adana came to his side in an instant, the other man practically b with excitement. Glasnant swore his manservant just barely able to stop himself from jumping up and down when Iola still recognized him from her previous stay at the Fort and greeted him warmly.

He watched on as the servant led her away, the Guardians following closely. He didn’t fail to see that one of the Guardians had immediately stepped to her side and her hand reached out to him in an instant even while Iola was still talking to Adana, as if it was a natural instinct to her, done unconsciously. The other Guardians didn’t bat an eye at that, and the dimpled man himself, the one whom Iola reached out to, now linked her hand around his arm like it belongs there.

Well now…..that was something new.

 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

 

During the welcome dinner Glasnant observed more of his guests, a small lady in particular as she flounced around the room. She talked excitedly to everyone, even the servants who served them, genuinely curious to know about the people she talked to.

Like Alik had predicted, Iola haven’t change much in the months they last met her. Her clothes might be more luxurious, if the pale rose dress that she wore now might be an indication, though she’d wore a comfortable men’s style clothing on the trip here but her smile and easy demeanor didn’t change.  

Though Glasnant did notice some small difference; she was wiser and more knowledgeable in state matters, holding her ground as she was debating with one of his councilors yet still with an easiness of being in her skin, a note of self-confidence that was even more palpable than before.

Another thing that he noticed was her companions. Though at the dining table she was separated from the Guardians, he noticed how they keep an eye on her at all times. He knew enough to not be offended; it was not because they don’t believe in her safety here, it was that they couldn’t help but being pulled to her like moths to flames, the same as how his men too acted towards her.

Glasnant hid a smirk behind his wineglass; little lady was special, he’d known that from the moment he met her. His eyes caught sight of another man, the dimpled Guardian. The man was standing by the side, a glass in hand as he was immersed in deep discussion with one of the councilor but from time to time he would look up and caught Iola’s gaze, a soft smile exchanged between them before both returned to their respective conversation partners.

Glasnant pursed his mouth in thought. Seemed like there were more things progressing since the last time he met little lady.

 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

 

The next few days were busy. Besides bringing in extra food supplies, the Zolorians had intended to make this visit the first one out of hopefully a lasting, peaceful relation between the previously feuding countries. There were meetings with councilors of the kingdom, of negotiating treaties between the land and the best way of a working cooperation between the lands.

Glasnant knew the Zolorians would never propose this kind of agreement if it was not for Iola, and his gratefulness bound in leaps. He had experienced firsthand the outcome of allowing the Tree accessible to every nation, how nature was more peaceful and calm all over his kingdom. Winter was still cold but the chill in the air wasn’t as harsh as before, and he received report that some places in his kingdom had already begun to show the sign of approaching spring, something which was perhaps insignificant in other lands but to Teima which was ruled by winter more than half the year, it was a good omen.

Now, with the treaty in place, he was more assured of his kingdom’s brighter future. He tried to convey his gratitude during one of the rare time he was alone with Iola, but the little lady only dismissed it with ease.

“Really Glasnant, you do not owe me anything! I’ve told you before, the Tree of Life belongs to anyone in this world and so it should help everyone.”

“Perhaps so, little lady, but that wouldn’t come to fruition if it weren’t for you. Please, you should at least give me the chance to express my thankfulness.”

Iola only grinned and bumped his shoulder playfully. “If you insist.”

“Anything you want.”

“Well….,” She tapped her nose, eyes twinkling merrily. “I do so like that pudding your staff made the other day. If you can tell them to make some more for me, then I would say that we’re even.”

Glasnant blinked, once, twice, before breaking into a loud guffaw, ruffling her hair affectionately. “I’ll ask them to make that dessert for the rest of your stay here, morning, noon, night.”

Iol

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter