Chapter 13

Dawn of the Worlds
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Iola sighed as she gazed out the window, staring at the night sky. It has been a full day since her dinner with the Teima’s ruler and yet what Glasnant said still bothered her. She’d tried to ask him more after that, but the blue-haired man evaded her questions, saying that it was late and she should rest. The next thing she knew Zeev and Alik had escorted her back to her room, where they promptly left her alone.

Today she hadn’t met him at all. She’d hoped that she would see him at meal times, but in the morning Zeev brought her to a small dining room different than last night where only Itzal was present. The tattooed man told her that Glasnant had sent his apology because he would not be seeing her today since he had other business to attend, but she was welcome to explore the place after she had her breakfast. And so she spent the whole day roaming around Greystone Fort with Zeev constantly at her side.

In any other situation she would’ve like the opportunity. The Fort was humongous; hundreds of rooms and hallways and staircases to get lost in. Zeev told her how hundred of years ago, the ruler of Teima at the time judged the stone mountain to be the perfect place to have the kingdom’s seat of power. Because of its sheer height, strong stone walls and strategic position, the Fort would be almost impossible to attack and the thick walls added more protection against the harsh north wind.

The kingdom’s entire stonemason worked hard for years before the Fort was finally finished, and the ruler moved the capital to just over the Fort’s cliff where it has been ever since.

Iola listened to the blonde’s story attentively, admiring the skilled handiwork that came to create the whole place. The Fort may be literally inside a mountain, but that didn’t mean there weren’t a lot of artwork and intricate sculpturing adorning the whole place, affirming its status as not just a strong, military holdout but also the kingdom’s royals’ residence.

The Teiman’s stonemasons were obviously talented and skilled, proved by the numerous stone sculptures dotting the whole fort, using the natural rough surface of the wall to make it seems as if the statues just came out of the stone facade itself. Iola herself spent long minutes admiring one large section of the stone wall where the whole expanse from floor to ceiling was covered in intricate sculpting and engraving. She had to take a few steps back to be able to see the whole picture, a glorious battle scene that Zeev told her was from a story of Teima’s legend.

The permanent hum in her mind was buzzing pleasantly all day, as if trying to reassure her that she would be fine. It calmed her, and at times she almost forgot that she was a prisoner, too enchanted by the wonder of her surroundings.

But Zeev’s shadow, never far from hers, always reminded her that she was indeed, had been kidnapped and kept here without her consent, no matter how kind the treatment she’d received ever since she got here.

Biting her lips she thought back to the expressions on Glasnant’s face yesterday. The tall man seemed rather sad and she wasn’t sure, but he’d also looked apologetic towards her. There was a heavy lump of anxiety sitting in her stomach as she remembered his expression.

“Something heavy on your mind, human girl?”

The sudden voice startled her and she snapped up with a surprised gasp to see the wind spirit, hovering just next to her window.

“Makani!”

The spirit grinned lazily as he floated into her room. “I’ve been here for the last few minutes, but obviously you had something else in your mind.”

Iola followed the spirit, happy beyond words to see a familiar face. “Oh, Makani! You have no idea how good it is to see you!"

Makani’s grin grew wider. “I know. My presence always brings such joy everywhere I go.”

Iola rolled her eyes even as she laughed. “Whatever makes you happy, then.”

They shared a quiet chuckle before the mood quickly turned somber. The spirit took a glance around the room.

“I see you’ve managed to get yourself in another sticky situation here, human girl.”

Iola fidgeted, wringing her hands nervously. “So I assumed that you know my situation?”

At the spirit’s nod she continued, clasping her hands in silent prayer. “My friends…..When the Teimans kidnapped me here, the last thing I see of them was them being engulfed in flames. Tell me, Makani. Are they…are they alright?”

When the spirit nodded again she released the breath she’d held in unconsciously. “Oh, thanks God! You’re sure, Makani, completely sure that they’re alright?”

Makani smirked. “Of course I’m sure. I passed them on my way here and they’re all in good condition, including him.”

Iola spluttered and flailed her arms around. “What are you talking about? I wasn’t just asking about Yixing, I was concerned for the others too!”

She knew she’d said the wrong thing when Makani’s smirk grew even wider. “I wasn’t saying any names; you’re the one who immediately thought of that man.”

Iola groaned and bury her face in her hands, plopping down on the nearest divan. “Ugh, I hate you.”

“No, you don’t.”

“……No, I don’t; just having a very intense dislike towards you right now.”

“I can handle that.”

Iola couldn’t help the grin on her face, before her mind caught up with something the spirit said earlier and she bolted up immediately.

“Wait. You said you passed them on your way here?”

“Are you so simple-minded that I have to repeat everything twice, human girl?”

“Just answer the question!”

“Geez, impatient, aren’t you? Yes, I passed them. They’re about a few days distance from here, a week and a half at the latest.”

“They’re…..they’re coming here?”

Makani snorted, the gust of wind he emitted blew Iola’s hair all over her face. “Of course they’re coming! What, do you think they would’ve just abandoned you here?”

Iola could’ve jumped around and screamed in joy, if not for the fact that it was already late at night and she didn’t want anyone to come barging into the room. Of course she’d hope that the Guardians would come for her, but to hear the proof of it was almost too much to bear.

Then another thought came to her and she quickly turned back to the spirit.

“Makani, can’t you help me escape from here? We could escape from the fort and meet the others halfway. You’d help me once, can’t you do that again?”

Makani’s smile was sad as a gentle breeze ruffled her hair. “I’m sorry human girl, but I can’t.”

“B-but…but why?”

“My power is not as strong as it was. Before we were in the vicinity of the Forest of Dreams, and spirits have always been stronger there. But here, I am weakened. I may be able to carry you from here though I doubt that but even if we manage it, we won’t get too far away. And the distance from this place to your friends are too large; we won’t be able to make it.”

The spirit looked so sincerely apologetic that Iola didn’t persuade the matter further, though she sighed and shook her head. “It’s alright Makani, I understand. Just that….I wish I could see my friends soon.”

The room was silent before the spirit spoke up, a thoughtful frown on his face. “Who said you couldn’t?”

“W-what? B-but you just said you couldn’t take me away from here!”

“I know. But who said you couldn’t talk to your friends, even now if you want?”

“But how? It’s not like I can call them on their phones, or that you have Skype here! You people don’t even have computers!”

The spirit scrunched his eyebrows in obvious confusion. “What in the Sacred Tree’s name are you talking about?”

“….never mind. So, what do you suggest?”

Iola wasn’t sure she likes the wary look in Makani’s eyes. “We talk to them in their mind, of course.”

“….what?”

“That kid, the one who control the wind. Since he is using my element, he and I would be linked, even though he may not realize it. You can talk to him using me. But it will tax you greatly.”

“Why?”

“Because you will be the bridge between us and the effort of holding that connection will exhaust you. Before, you have managed to make a connection with just a limited number, but to attempt this you must embrace all of us, and that might be too heavy for you.”

Iola wasn’t sure she understands, but the hope to talk to her friends outweighed anything else at the moment so she nodded.

“Alright, I can take it. But how are we going to do this?”

Makani looked like he wants to protest, but changed his mind when he saw her determined gaze. “In the same way you talk to me and the other spirits. Just….find the one that connect to your friend.”

To say she was confused was an understatement. But before she could asked any further, the usual muffled hum in her mind grew loudly it almost startled her. The noise grew louder and louder until she couldn’t hear anything else and she closed her eyes.

There it was again, the millions of thread-like presences crowding around in her head though it was different than what she had ever felt before. She had always could feel those threads before, even connecting to it on a smaller scale, but right now they had all surged down on her, overwhelming her.

Her limbs were tingling with the sudden energy surge and her head bogged down with the enormity of all those threads and she felt a sliver of panic, quaking as everything threatened to overtake her.

“Focus, human girl. You can do this.”

Makani’s voice sounded too far away but it still gave her a sense of comfort.

Iola took a deep, shaky breath and tried to focus her mind. Control was the first thing  she needed, and she imagined erecting a barrier within her mind, isolating the threads from her own core, keeping them at bay.

They resisted at first, jabbing at the barrier and scorching her brain and Iola braced herself against the pain. It was starting to sear and her teeth clenched. Tears formed in the corners of her eyes and sweat driped down the back of her neck, rolling down to be absorbed by her tunic.

She almost gave in, lost hope in her fight to force the barrier standing but then the pain in her head lessened the tiniest bit. Iola in a breath of relief and continued on, pouring every ounce of energy she had to strengthen her barrier.

Now that her own core was secured, she slowly reached out to the threads surrounding her own, scouring each and every one of them. It took time, like picking a single note among the symphony of an orchestra; before long she was shaking from the exertion and her tunic was soaked through.

Finally she found one thread, light, wispy and airy, that reminded her of Makani. The moment she held on to it the thread grew farther and farther away and Iola could almost hear the gust of wind as it blew along lands far away from she was. The effort of just holding on was exhausting and just when she thought she couldn’t bear it anymore, it stopped suddenly and other presences, other threads were in its place.

These new threads were new and unfamiliar, yet the hum in her mind purred pleasantly and she felt an intimate bond with them.

And then she knew.

She whispered cautiously into the air. “….Sehun?”

 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

 

Yixing felt exhausted. His energy had been almost depleted when he healed his brothers yesterday, not to mention healing the two glaistigs they use now. Normally it

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter