Chapter 21

Dawn of the Worlds
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Iola trembled, more from the heavy realization of the magnitude of what the Tree represent than the blowing gust of wind that had a small sting of chill in it. She was grateful for Tao’s strong shoulder to steady her; her knees were weak and she didn’t think she could stand upright by herself. Her hand was squeezed once more and she squeezed back, letting Yixing threaded their fingers together.

The rather somber atmosphere was broken when one of the palace’s guards ran towards them, stopping to bow once he reached them.

“Guardians, sirs. The captain wants to know what you’re planning to do with the animals you captured this morning.”

Joonmyun rubbed his chin thoughtfully. “Ah yes, the drachensteins. I’ve forgot all about them.”

Wufan turned to the guard. “Are they causing any problem?”

The guard shook his head, stealing curious glances at Iola even as he answered the Guardian. “Not until now, sir. But they’ve been restless, and the captain was worried that they might be able to escape, seeing that we don’t know the full strength of the beasts.”

Iola had a nagging suspicion at the back of her mind. “What beasts are you talking about?”

“It’s the drachensteins, Iola,” Baekhyun answered with a slight scowl on his face. “The beasts that those Andalebians women conjured up this morning to attack you.”

“You…you captured them?”

“It wasn’t as difficult as we thought, though.” Sehun frowned with confusion.  “Somehow, they didn’t resist capture so we had them kept at the dungeon until we know what to do with them.”

Iola remembered the blinding pain when those beasts crushed her bones easily and she shivered in fright, her whole body reacted to the phantom pain. But she also remembered the threads she had felt in her mind, how they let her go when she begged them to. With that in mind she steeled her resolve.

“Take me to them.”

Jongdae’s head spun so fast towards her, for a second Iola was worried he might have whiplash. “Are you crazy, Iola?! Those beasts tried to kill you just this morning! And now you want to see them?!”

Iola shrugged nonchalantly, faking the bravery she didn’t really felt. “Hey, I also asked to meet the Andalebians didn’t I? So why shouldn’t I see the animals too? Besides, you will be besides me if anything happens, won’t you?”

“Of course we are!” Kyungsoo huffed with an indignant air.

“So, I don’t see any problem with me seeing the animals again.”

Again Wufan looked like he wants to argue, but Iola glared at him until the tall Guardian sighed and started to walk away, exiting the courtyard and back into the many hallways of the castle. Iola shot him a grateful smile as she jogged slightly to keep up with his long strides, trying to hide her nervousness at the thought of going back to the dark, damp dungeon. Luckily once they were underground Wufan directed them to a different direction than where the Andalebians were being held, until they reached the end of the hallway. Several guards who had sat down guarding the prison at their front immediately stand at attention at the sight of the Guardians.

The stone cell was quite large and dark, only the torches mounted at the wall besides the door throwing off any light inside. The metal bars looked sturdy and strong, densely built that even a child would have trouble slithering inside.

Inside the cell were the drachensteins, still as frightening and majestic as she remembered. They paced back and forth, teeth bared in a feral snarl whenever one of the guards came closer to the cage, the tip of their sharp horns glinting dangerously.

Iola stared at the animals, a mixture of awe and fear battling inside her. Now that she had more chance to examine them there were no doubt in her mind that the so-called drachensteins resembled the wolves in her own world. Though she was sure no wolf have an horn nor match these animals’ size; they looked like they easily surpassed her waist in height. Its fur was dark and thick, contrasting with the sheer ivory of the horns on top of its head, just above its eyes.

There was no denying that she still felt rather wary of them, considering that they had mauled her brutally just hours ago. Yet there was also a sense of majestic of them, predators that are strong and graceful despite their huge sizes.

“This is the first time I’ve ever seen a drachenstein,” Minseok said, eyes raking over the animals in fascination.

Iola eyed him in confusion. “The first time? How come?”

He hummed, still keeping his eyes on the animals. “The drachensteins are more of the Andaleb’s beasts, living in the high plains of that country. Rumors say that they were extinct during the Great War.”

Jongin scoffed, jerking his head towards the cage. “Well, obviously not.”

Iola continued to stare as the animals paced back and forth restlessly in their prison. One of the guards, the captain it seemed from the stripes on his armor, came up to them. He bowed to them before standing ramrod straight.

Joonmyun nodded back with a small smile. “Has there been any problem with them, captain?”

The captain spared a wary glance at the animals. “No sir, but we are rather worried whether the cage will be strong enough to hold them for long.”

As if to prove his words, one of the drachensteins growled and launched itself to the metal bars, making it rattled loudly under the pressure. The guards shouted and quickly moved closer, brandishing their spears and mace as Iola was being pulled back by the Guardians.

The loud hum in her head drowned any other voices and Iola could feel confusion and anger, but most of all, fear. She snapped out of her daze when one of the guards clanked his dull mace on the metal bar, yelling at the animals to back away.

“Stop that! Can’t you see that you’re frightening them?!”

The guards were startled at her loud yell and stared incredulously as she moved even closer to the cell, ignoring the Guardians’ arms trying to pull her back.

“Open the door.”

“W-what?”

“Iola, no!”

Iola ignored the protests and again gestured to the cell. “Open the door.”

The captain looked on helplessly at the Guardians and Joonmyun and Wufan stepped forward, blocking her from the cage’s door.

Wufan rose up to his full weight, dwarfing everyone present. “What are you planning to do, Iola?”

Iola rolled her eyes, not affected by the tall man’s intimidating glare at all. “Isn’t it clear enough? I want to see them!”

“Iola, they’re dangerous beasts!” Joonmyun tried to plead.

Iola stole a glance at the drachensteins, ears flattened to its heads and teeth bared, the tip of their horns glinting sharp. “They’re dangerous, yes, but I still want to see them.” Seeing the Guardians’ disbelief she tried to change her words. “Look guys, you just need to trust me on this! The same as the glaistigs, I know they won’t harm me!” She shrugged off Chanyeol’s scoff. “Well, at least, not anymore.”

It took several more pleading and assurances, but finally they relented and the captain opened the door with a set of keys dangling from his waist. Once it opened he quickly stepped back, looking over his shoulder. The drachensteins seemed confused at the open door but they stayed at their places, growls rumbled deep inside its chests.

Iola took a deep breath and stepped inside the cell. The Guardians quickly followed her, a light scuffle and jostling ensued as they tried to get inside through the narrow door at the same time. Yixing quickly stood beside her while Jongin took his place at her left, his arm hovering slightly on her elbow and she knew the tan-skinned Guardian would immediately teleport her out of there if anything happens.

The drachensteins’ eyes darted around as the cell were filled with people, backing slowly until they reached the opposite wall, hind legs sprung taut as if ready to pounce.

“Don’t let your guards down,” Wufan’s low voice bounced off the wall. “Get ready for any movement from them.”

Iola ignored his words and instead leaned forward, brushing off Yixing’s restraining hand on her arm. She slowly crouched and raised an arm, ignoring the surprised gasps and concerned warnings the Guardians exclaimed behind her. She took small steps forward, still crouching, keeping her eye on the drachensteins’.

“It’s alright,” she murmured. “No one is going to hurt you now.”

The closer she get to the animals she realized that they were slightly different. Both of them have thick, dark midnight fur but the drachenstein on her right have streaks of vibrant red over its flank, while the other one’s hind legs were spotted with silver grey furs.

“Come on, now. It’s alright,” she murmured again.

The red drachenstein regarded her warily, before taking hesitant steps closer and Iola had to bit back her glee. Slowly it inched closer, until its muffle touched her hand. Iola smiled and closed her eyes, rummaging through the knots of threads in her head until she found two coarse, warm ones and it gently.

She could hear the drachenstein purred as a wet, coarse tongue her hand. When she opened her eyes both drachenstein were next to her, their strong necks bent down towards her, their horns grazing her hair. Iola ran her fingers over the thick hair on the animal’s necks, laughing as the red drachenstein nuzzled against her eagerly.

“You’re beautiful, aren’t you?” she cooed, rubbing behind its ear.

The silver drachenstein didn’t seem to like to be left out, whining and keening as it surged forward, nudging Iola’s shoulder until she laughed and pat it too, running her hand up and down on the animal’s horn.

“By the Sacred Tree…..” Luhan gaped.

Kyungsoo’s eyes were wider than usual. “Iola….how do you do that?”

Iola shrugged, still busy patting the drachensteins, running her hands up and down their soft furs. “They’re not dangerous, guys. They’re actually pretty alright.”

Jongdae scoffed sarcastically. “Of course they’re alright, if not for the fact that those beasts tried to kill you just this morning.”

As if they understood Jongdae’s words the drachensteins began to whimper and keened piteously, resting their heads on Iola’s shoulder. She just smiled, feeling the threads tremble slightly in her mind.

“I know, guys.” She scratched the animals’ ears, earning an approving purr. “I know you’re sorry and that you didn’t know.”

The red drachenstein pulled back, only to open its mouth and let a long, red tongue Iola’s cheek. She spluttered in shock while the silver drachenstein yelped happily, muzzle already opened to mimic it’s friend action before Iola quickly pushed him away softly.

“Alright, alright, apology accepted, no need for more ,” she grumbled as she tried to wipe the slobber off her face.

The drachensteins paced around her, tails wagging in excitement and long, pink tongue lolled out from the side of their muzzle. They stayed close to her, following her every step as she began to walk closer to the Guard

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter