Chapter 17

Dawn of the Worlds
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“This will be your quarter, my lady.”

Iola couldn’t keep from opening in wonder as she stepped slowly inside the large room. She knew that Elder Azam had said that they would give her a room at the castle, but she wasn’t expecting this. This was by far the most luxurious thing she’d ever seen, both in this world and her own.

Though perhaps she shouldn’t be so surprised. From the fleeting glance she had seen of Sagiv, the city was large and prosperous and the castle was magnificent, all indicating the abundance of wealth. The castle itself may be smaller in scale to the Greystone Fort though not by much, but it made up for its smaller size in its splendor. Gold plated doors, marble floors, luxurious tapestries, artful statues; all reflected luxury that the Teimans’ fort lacked.

She took a look around the room. A huge bed with a hanging canopy took place in the middle of the room, its gilded headboard shone luminously. A set of dark wood chest drawers, ornately carved, stood at each of it’s side. The other part of the room was filled with comfortable looking couches and divans, while a small low table in the center of the seating arrangements was filled with porcelain plates full of fruits and a delicate crystal tumbler. A large, majestic marble fireplace was at the other side of the room, lit with a small fire that crackled merrily and an ornate rug besides it with soft-looking cushions seemed to invite people to sank down and rest for a bit.

The room itself was swathed in soft, light colors, from the golden-threaded embroidery that hangs on the wall to the fabric that covers the couches, which make a perfect contrast to the dark wood furniture.

She stepped forward, fingers grazing over the shining wood of the drawer.

“This…this is really my room?”

The petite brunette who had opened the door nodded. “Yes, my lady. Is it not to your liking?”

Iola shook her head furiously. “No, no! This is….this is more than I could ever expect.”

The girl seemed pleased by her answer. “If you need anything else, just let me know, my lady. My name is Akalka, and this.” She waved her hand and another girl Iola didn’t notice before stepped up from behind her. “This is Heulyn. We will be your handmaidens, my lady.”

Iola nodded back, rather awed and slightly overwhelmed of the fact that she now has maids. And not just one, but two! As she looked over the two girls, she realized that both of them couldn’t be more different than each other.

Akalka was a very petite girl, just barely reaching over Iola’s shoulders, with a rosy complexion and soft brown hair that was piled up high on top of her head, as if to make up for her short stature. While Heulyn towered over her colleague by more than a head; her pale skin contrasted well with her ice blue eyes and soft, reddish hair, tumbled around her shoulders in wild curls.

“Perhaps you would like to take your bath now, my lady?”

The question cut through her musing and she nodded, grinning sheepishly at the reminder of her dirty state. The girls directed her to a small door at the corner of the room, opening it to reveal a slightly smaller room with a large, sunken marble bathtub the size of a small pool embedded in the center, already filled with warm, fragrant water.

Iola was once again awed at the splendor, before her mind quickly reacted as the girls began to grab the knot of her sash, intent on opening her clothes.

“W-wait! W-what…what are you doing?!” she exclaimed, ripping her tunic back from their grasp, pulling it closer to her body.

Akalka seemed confused by her reaction. “We are helping you to take a bath, my lady.”

Iola swore her eyes could pop from its sockets. “W-what?? No, no, thank you, but I think I’m old enough to take a bath by myself.”

“But my lady, it is our job-“

“No! I think I can handle this!”

Before they could protest Iola quickly pushed them out of the room, shutting the door close with satisfaction.

She shook her head in wonder as she began to undress. “Seriously, these people! Helping someone take a bath?! Geez, what, you couldn’t wash your own body?”

Once all her clothes were off she quickly sunk herself into the large tub, groaning in delight as the warm water relaxed her aching muscles. There were numerous bottles along the side of the tub, and she had fun checking them one by one once she saw that they were filled with various bath oils and liquid soaps.

As the water began to cool down she leaned on the tub’s side, gazing at the frescoed ceiling above her, painted to resemble a bright, blue sky with fluffy white clouds here and there.

“Enjoying your bath?”

Iola shrieked and whirled around, only to see Yarah grinning cheekily from the middle of the pool.

“W-what…you,” she spluttered.

A soft, urgent knock sounded on the door.“My lady?” Akalka’s soft voice floated from behind it and Iola could hear the slight concern in it. “Is everything alright?”

Iola spared a glance at the spirit before turning towards the door. “Yes, everything’s alright. I was just…just slipped on the floor.”

It was a flimsy excuse, but at least the maid didn’t question further. Iola released a relieved sigh before glaring at Yarah.

“What are you doing here?”

Yarah shrugged easily, water flowing through her shoulder at the action. “Well, I am the spirit of water. Wherever there is water, I will be there.”

Iola realized belatedly her situation, and tried in vain to cover up her body. “Yes, but…do you have to appear while I’m taking a bath?!”

“Oh, don’t be so modest.” The spirit waved a hand in dismissal and jets of water splashed everywhere. “Everyone bathed in water, so I’ve seen a lot of humans’ bodies in my time; tall, short, thin, fat, you name it. Though those Guardians, I have to say they have pretty good shapes for huma-“

“Okay, too much information!” Iola quickly cut her off. Really, the last thing she needed was the spirit telling her about the Guardians’ bathing experience. “Now, not that I don’t like to see you again Yarah, but could you please leave, at least until I’m done with my bath?”

The spirit grinned. “Of course, I understand.” Her body slowly melted back into the water, though not before she gave her a wide smile. “I only wanted to tell you that it’s good to see you safe and well, Chosen Soul.”

Iola stared at the spot where the spirit disappeared, before chuckling in resignation. She appreciated the spirit’s good intention, though she could do without the impromptu appearance.

Just as she began to relax again and laid back on the bathtub, a soft knock sounded again.

“My lady? Will you be finished soon? You need to get ready for the celebration tonight.”

Groaning, she reluctantly got out of the tub and grabbed some soft, thick towels that’s been laid by the side.

The next hour was spent by Akalka and Heulyn preparing her for the party. The clothes they had laid out for her was a gorgeous creation of fluffy, soft pale buttery yellow tunic dress that felt like silk on her skin and brought out the gold flecks in her hazel eyes. The sleeves were wide and puffed at her shoulder, but tapered into slim sleeves. The bodice was cut tight across her chest, before flowing down to her ankle in an elegant swirl, numerous seed pearls stitched into the lower hem sparkled everytime she moved. It was without a doubt the most exquisite dress she ever wears and she wished she could take a picture of herself in it.

She argued a bit when the girls wanted to do her hair. Akalka and Heulyn wanted to put her hair up into a high bun, claiming that it is the preffered hairstyle of the high society ladies but Iola had protested vehemently. In the end Heulyn only braided the hair around the crown of her head, weaving more seed pearls onto the tight knot while leaving the rest of the hair flowing freely down her back.

A knock sounded on the door, before Wufan’s deep voice came from behind it.

“Iola? Are you ready? We are to you to the Grand Hall for the celebration.”

Iola took a deep breath, taking another look at her reflection on the bronze mirror. The girls did a good job, she had to admit. Akalka had also put some light make-up on her face, puffing her face with powder that made her cough and colored her lips and cheeks with some small, red paste that smelled like berries.

She nodded gratefully at the girls. “You did a wonderful job Akalka, Heulyn. Thank you very much.”

The girls nodded back. “It is our duty, my lady.”

She rose from her seat, taking a few steps forward before turning back to them. “I have another favor to ask.”

“What is it, my lady?”

“Is it…is it possible for you to just call me Iola, without any other title?” She smiled sheepishly. “I am not used to be called like that.”

Akalka looked nervous, but it was Heulyn who answered her. “It is against the rules, my lady. We, as the servants, are not allowed to call someone of higher rank in such casual regard.”

There was something in Heulyn’s tone, a sudden hard glint in her gaze that made Iola stopped in her tracks. For a moment she felt such a dark, violent vibe coming from the other girl, enough to make the hum in her mind increased. But before she could ask any further, Akalka quickly stepped in front of her.

“I understand your well-meaning intention my lady, but I’m afraid we can not do that, not if we still want to keep our work.”

Akalka had a small, apologetic smile on that was mirrored on Heulyn’s face. Gone was the dark aura from before and Iola wondered if she did not just imagined the whole thing.

 Heulyn opened the door, bowing slightly. “It’s better to not keep the Guardians wait any longer, my lady.”

Iola frowned, before deciding to dismiss the thought; it was probably because her mind was still tired from the journey. She nodded once again to the girls when out of the corner of her eyes she caught a glimpse of Makani, floating silently at the corner of the room. She raised her eyebrows in a silent question, asking him whether he’d join her, but the spirit only shook his head. Iola frowned as she thought she saw a sad glint in the spirit’s eyes, but before she could look further Akalka coughed discreetly, and Iola blushed as she nodded and stepped out of the room.

The Guardians were facing the other way when she came out, talking and laughing between themselves and didn’t notice her presence. She took the chance to take a good look at them, noticing that they too, had dressed up for the occasion.

Their tunics were styled almost the same as the ones they wore before; the same black pants and colorful tunic and sash belting at their waists.  The materials were clearly of a higher quality, though, with golden and silver thread stitched on the cloths, swirling and drooping in intricate patterns on their sleeves. The black capes that they wore were also a new addition; fastened with silver buttons on their shoulders, flowing elegantly over their backs until it reached their ankles, with each cape embroidered with the golden Tree of Life.

“Well, now,” she spoke out to the men, grabbing their attention. “Don’t you all look handsome!”

Silence welcomed her words and she’d noticed belatedly that they had stopped conversing between themselves and were now staring at her dumbfounded. Fidgeting under their stares she tried to look over herself. Was there something wrong with her dress?

It was Sehun who broke the silence first. “Wow Iola….you look beautiful!”

Minseok and Baekhyun nodded furiously while Chanyeol smiled that big, silly grin of his. The rest of the men were quick to share their sentiments, nodding and smiling their approval.

Iola grinned sheepishly, embarrassed and flattered at the same time from their compliments. Her gaze finally landed on Yixing, who hadn’t said a word until now.

He was staring at her in wonder, mouth opened slightly. His gaze made her feel hot and cold all at the same time, and she fidgeted nervously under his scrutiny. Luhan nudged him not so discreetly and Yixing seemed to wake up from a trance.

“Iola,” he breathed out. “You…. just….Iola.”

Yixing didn’t say anything more but the way he breathed out her name, almost reverently, were enough to make her heart jumped wildly. His eyes were so very soft and tender and Iola didn’t need to see a mirror to know that her face must’ve flushed red.

Luckily Joonmyun offered her his arm, which she quickly took because her knees were swaying from Yixing’s intense gaze and they, along with Wufan at her other side began to walk away. The rest of them followed behind, talking and laughing as they walk. Iola joined in on their merry conversation, yet still very much aware of the heated gaze at the back of her head.

They led her through a series of long corridors and hallways, each filled with many splendours and beautiful things that she wished she could stop to admire them. After a set of stairways did they stop in front of a pair of golden doors, as high as the ceiling. Two guards flanking the door immediately nodded in respect at the sight of the Guardians.

Joonmyun patted her arm. “Ready?”

Iola gulped. “If I say no, will you let me go back to my room?”

The leader of the Guardians laughed, before pulling her forward gently. “Sorry, but no. Don’t worry, you’ll be fine.”

The guards opened the door for them and they stepped inside. Iola looked around in wonder. The Grand Hall was vast, illuminated brightly by the thousands of candles from the many golden chandeliers hanging from the high ceiling. One side of the hall was bordered by floor-to-ceiling glass doors

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter