Prologue: Growth

Bittersweet
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

When the cup slipped from her small hands and fell on the ground, the sound of porcelain breaking and shattering filled the air, followed by a quiet gasp. The girl stared at the hardwood floor for a moment, her gaze on the spilled tea, before another wave of coughs took over her little body. Earlier, she had accidentally dropped the cup because in the train of coughs her arms had lost the strength to hold it.

 

The woman in the same room – the living room – turned around upon hearing the noise. She hadn't heard the coughing, only the cup breaking. An expression of annoyance appeared on her face; it had been a pretty mug, her favorite even. She closed the distance of a few meters between her and her daughter and roughly grabbed the small girl by her arm, dragging her to her.

 

“Lee Miyoung!” She hissed as she shook the girl. “Can't you even hold a cup properly?!” She let go of Miyoung and pushed her aside before bending down to pick up the pieces. As her finger brushed the sharp edge of the biggest piece, cutting her skin, she immediately let go of the piece and stood up, quietly cursing. Her eyes were reflecting her stress and the pain caused by the little porcelain piece only added fuel to the fire. When her gaze fell upon the little girl, who only stood there and watched her with big, scared eyes while she fiddled with her fingers unsurely, she mechanically raised her hand.

 

The silence of the living room was once again interrupted; however, this time by the hissing sound of a slap.

 

Miyoung raised her hand to cup her throbbing left cheek. It was a sharp pain. One she had been met with quite a few times already. And still, every time it happened, she wasn't prepared for the biting pain. Tears filled her eyes and they rolled down her cheeks without the girl even thinking of prohibiting it.

 

“Stop crying, you useless piece of… why can't you do something right for once? You…” the woman didn't finish her sentence and instead just left the room with quick steps, her heels clattering on the ground. “Clean up the mess!” She yelled at the maids while walking away.

 

And five-year-old Miyoung just stood there, unmoving, while she sobbed loudly and helplessly. The pitiful aura only a little child could emit when not not receiving help surrounded her.

 

-

 

The sun outside looked so inviting that Miyoung just wanted to jump out of her bed and go outside to play with the other children. At school, she had been asked to join them this afternoon. It was already a wonder that she'd been allowed to go to school today, as she had missed three weeks already. But she wished to play outside of school as well. Especially, since it was the first time the others had asked her, if she wanted to join them. However, her parents had strongly rejected, saying she was too weak to play outside.

 

What if she fainted? Her lungs could barely take the bit of exercise during P.E., which was why Miyoung always sat on the bench while the others exercised. Going outside and play with such a health? God forbid!

 

A few coughs escaped her lips and she hit her chest gently. She stood up from her bed and quietly made her way to her father's office – she didn't want to risk getting hit by her mother – and managed to get there without arousing too much attention from the maids.

 

Having knocked three times, she entered. When she saw that Mr. Lee sighed tiredly at the sight of her, she almost wanted to turn around and leave again, but the urge to go outside was stronger. “Dad? Can't I go out just once? Only today? The others even asked me to join,” she mumbled, not daring to sound too demanding. Her father was very authoritative, so she would always speak quietly in front of him.

 

“No, Miyoung, go back to your room.”

 

“But–” “–You have played too much in the garden three weeks ago and immediately got sick. Do you want that to happen again?” Her father interrupted her, sounding a bit annoyed and stressed, and Miyoung decided to leave and maybe risk getting hit.

 

“Mom?” She quietly began as she opened the door to her parents' bedroom a bit.

 

“Go back to your room. I feel unwell, my head hurts,” her mother replied before Miyoung had even completely opened the door, signaling that she didn't want to hear any request from her daughter. “Can I go outside today? The other children asked me, and I really want to. So can I?” She asked nonetheless because she felt that if she had already come so far, she should bring it to an end.

 

“Lee Miyoung, you won't step out of this mansion unless it's for school! I have told you that so often. Why can't you be obedient for once? You're causing your mother so much stress with your poor health and your careless nature. Why can't you be a good child for once?” Mrs. Lee's tone became more and more aggressive with each word and Miyoung took that as a sign to leave as quickly as possible. One word more and she'd end up being grabbed and shaken. If worse, even slapped.

 

With s sulky expression, she went back to her bedroom.

 

Miyoung took a sip of the water that stood on her bed stand before she walked to the window. Tiptoeing so she could have a better view, she looked at the grass of the mansion yard. The sun made the grass seem so fresh and healthy, she really wanted to touch it.

 

The others were surely having fun outside at this very second. She turned around and stared at her room, her toys, the dull light in the room, before she turned to the window again.

 

Why was she the only one who couldn't enjoy what everyone else could? A tear escaped her eyes. Several others followed.

 

Seven-

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter