Curiosity

Night Prince

 

 

Yifan glanced behind him making sure Kyungsoo was still following him, he had lost Kyungsoo too many times in the past hour due to the mix of the vampire’s maddening curiosity and shorter legs. Thankfully this time the younger prince was right behind him eyes trained on Yifan’s back, mouth slightly puckered at memory of being reprimanded every time he dawdled.

The corners of Yifan’s mouth lifted slightly, the Do Prince was full of surprises. Kyungsoo’s eyes started to lift Yifan whipped his head back forwards pretending to study the carvings embedded in the walls, he felt Kyungsoo step closer as they entered a dark hallway.

“Where are we going?” he questioned tone endearing, Yifan slowed his pace as he schooled his features.

“To my room,” he answered dully, Kyungsoo’s eyes brightened. Yifan knew the look, the younger was curious again. He shook his head,

“We should rest before dinner. You must be tired,”

Kyungsoo nodded walking beside Yifan now,

“Was it your room since childhood?” he asked trying to probe more information out of Yifan as they stopped in front of a door.

Yifan didn’t answer and instead pulled a key from his pocket, he mentioned for Kyungsoo to take a step back when he did Yifan inserted the key into the keyhole turning it once. A loud click sound filled the air before a light shimmer glazed over the door, Kyungsoo’s hand reached our on its own accord. Yifan grabbed it before it could come into contact with the door.

“Curiosity killed the cat, Prince Kyungsoo. This,” Yifan explained gesturing at the door, “Is a protection spell, one that could have made you lose your hand.”

Kyungsoo’s hand dropped as shock crept across his features, Yifan fought the smile threatening to rise and instead reached for his door. The shimmering grew brighter at his touch and as if alive wove around Yifan’s wrist disappearing into his skin. Kyungsoo let out a startled gasp.

“Magic,” he breathed out in awe, this time Yifan couldn’t hold back his smile. He turned the doorknob and pulled Kyungsoo in behind him, the door closed behind them instantly shrouding them in darkness.

It took a few seconds for Kyungsoo’s eyes to adjust, Yifan walked across the room drawing back heavy curtains letting harsh white light spill in. The room was what Kyungsoo expected of Yifan, dark even in the presence of light. Yifan cleared his throat,

“This will be your room for the next few days of our stay, you need not worry about the spell I will not put it up until we leave,”

“We’re staying together?” Kyungsoo squeaked surprised eyes darting to the king sized bed in the middle of the room, Yifan caught the action.

“It is too dangerous for you to be alone here, I’m sure you are aware our territory borders the-“

“Forbidden lands, yes I am aware. Tao has told me,” Kyungsoo interrupted, the conversation died down awkwardly as the two were left with nothing to say. Yifan cleared his throat pulling back the translucent curtains around his bed and tying it to the bed post,

“Get some rest, I will wake you up in time for dinner,” Kyungsoo nodded only slipping under the thick covers of Yifan’s bed once he left the room.

-

 

“Have you two decided which part of the castle you wish to occupy after you wed?” the Queen questioned casually making Kyungsoo pause, he had not thought that far yet. It finally dawned on him that he would leave his home behind and live in Yifan’s kingdom permanently once their union was finalized. He put his spoon down appetite shrinking at the thought.

“There is still much time before our marriage,” Yifan answered calmly as if sensing Kyungsoo’s discomfort, “we will decide then, we might even acquire a different dwelling entirely,”

Kyungsoo’s eyes widened along with the Queen’s at the news.

“Live elsewhere? You are the crown prince you must stay here,” Yifan tensed up back straightening as his eyes darkened, the King silent throughout dinner finally spoke up.

“They can live wherever they please, my dear, they must have their privacy.” The Queen took in her husband’s words before she gave a small, reluctant nod. She turned back to Yifan.

“As long as it is not too far away I shall permit it, I barely see your brother as it is. I must see you at least to keep sane in these dreadful walls.” Kyungsoo felt himself smile, although it seemed otherwise, the Queen genuinely cared for her sons . He glanced at Yifan wondering if he saw it too but the other's brows were furrowed clearly deep in thought, one he vocalized once his mother had fallen silent.

“I require more security around the west wing of the castle and I want guards constantly on duty on outside grounds. I have already employed my hunters to the borders, but I ask for a few of your men as well, my King.” The King frowned,

“Of course we cannot have anything happen to Prince Kyungsoo,” he nodded at the guard by the door, “see to it that Prince Yifan’s orders are carried out at once,”

The guard bowed,

“Right away, Your Majesty,” he left, the King turned to Yifan.

“Since you are here, I have a few things to tell you. Can you sacrifice a day?” he addressed Yifan, but the three Wu royals turned Kyungsoo who realized that they were waiting for his answer.

“Of course, do not mind me. I am sure there is plenty to do,” inwardly though Kyungsoo pouted he had wanted Yifan to show him around, he caught sight of Tao behind Yifan’s head. The hunter grinned knowingly making him smile slightly at least he still had Tao to accompany him.

 

-

 

Yifan pulled back his covers glancing at the frozen Kyungsoo by the bedpost, their eyes met and a nervous giggle left Kyungsoo’s mouth. Yifan frowned as Kyungsoo laid down on the edge, he followed suit leaving almost a two armed length in between them.

“I apologise if it’s tight,” Yifan wanted it to come out sarcastic but his tone was far too soft for it to convey properly, he ended up sounding as if he was sincerely apologizing. Kyungsoo shifted closer bravely, he grinned to himself Yifan’s bed could still fit Chanyeol, Jongin and Baekhyun and even then Kyungsoo would probably still have space to move around.

“It’s alright, I’m used to sharing my space with Baekhyun. He likes my bed better than his and sleeps over every other night,” Kyungsoo internally scolded himself when Yifan didn’t answer, he had to learn to control his mouth around him, most of what he said seem to displease Yifan.

The older of the two snuffed out the lanterns leaving them only the moonlight, even in the dark Kyungsoo could see the unhappiness etched on Yifan’s face. It seemed as if the thought of Baekhyun always made him angry, Kyungsoo wondered if something had happened between the two.

“Byun Baekhyun,” Yifan finally spoke up, Kyungsoo his side to look at him properly. He was glaring up at the ceiling, “what is he to you?”

Kyungsoo smiled, Yifan’s anger was starting to make sense to him now. The Prince like many others probably misunderstood Kyungsoo and Baekhyun’s relationship. The day in the woods proved that Yifan thought there was something going on between the two.

Yifan glanced at Kyungsoo waiting for his answer. Kyungsoo carefully thought out his words not wanting to destroy the progress he had made with Yifan so far.

“He’s my most trusted companion, someone I can rely on unconditionally,” Kyungsoo paused seeing if he still had Yifan’s attention. He did, “I won’t lie, I once idolized Baekhyun, he was the only person who treated me like an equal as if I wasn’t elevated out of his reach, my first true friend,”

Yifan’s fingers curled around the top of the covers,

“But that’s all we are, friends. Despite what I said the morning in the woods I am not one to take betrothal lightly, especially my own. I will not be unfaithful if that is what you are worrying about,” Kyungsoo held onto Yifan’s searching gaze not shying away like he would usually, Yifan broke their eye contact first at ease with Kyungsoo’s answer once he found it truthful.

“I’ll trust you to keep your word, Prince Kyungsoo.” Yifan shut his eyes missing the confirmation nod from Kyungsoo.

 

-

 

Kyungsoo trailed behind Tao at a leisurely pace, he secured the fox coat that the hunter had forced him into around him as they exited the castle. Kyungsoo’s breath hitched as he caught sight of the white garden dusted with snow, he moved slowly not wanting to disrupt anything of such a heavenly looking place.

“It is beautiful,” he whispered wonderstruck.

“This is the prince’s favorite place,” Tao told Kyungsoo.

“Yifan?” Tao’s eyes widened and Kyungsoo knew he had unconsciously let the fact slip, “you mean Luhan,” Kyungsoo corrected himself, Tao’s eyes only widened more making him look terrified.

“You know of Luhan?” He whispered eyes darting around as if he feared Yifan would suddenly appear, Kyungsoo nodded,

“A bit, where is he now?” he asked curious, Tao looked hesitant before tilting his head at the castle walls, “the forbidden lands?”

It was Kyungsoo’s turn for widening eyes.

“Yes,”

“May I meet him?” he asked eagerly, wide eyes suddenly sparkling.

“Yifan, will kill me!” Tao protested moving away from Kyungsoo scared he would be convinced by the smaller vampire. Kyungsoo let out a huff before turning to walk back into the castle, Tao ran after him.

“Are you sulking?” Kyungsoo didn’t answer and kept walking keeping his gaze ahead, Tao rolled his eyes at the silent treatment continuing to follow Kyungsoo quietly. He could handle it, hunters were rarely noisy anyway. He could go hours-

“I just want to help,” came Kyungsoo’s quiet voice disrupting Tao’s thoughts as they climbed up some stairs, “I cannot imagine a life without my brother, I want them to reconcile. Yifan has not said so but I can see he misses his brother,”

Kyungsoo stopped walking turning to fully view Tao, the hunter gnawed on his lower lip resolve slowly breaking as Kyungsoo’s eyes looked at him sadly.

“Fine,” he finally hissed pride wounded at losing the battle to a pair of solemn owl eyes. If Tao had not turned away so quickly he would have seen the triumphed gleam that flashed through Kyungsoo’s eyes as he continued to ascend the staircase leading to their next destination.

 

-

 

"This is where we keep all the hunting weapons," Tao explained as they walked into a heavily guarded passage, a guard opened the door at the end of the hallway. Kyungsoo let out a tiny gasp he had never seen so many weapons in one place and none of this caliber, he wasn't a fighter but the weapons were made so beautifully he couldn't help but look around in admiration. Tao grinned,

"You may look around, but do not touch. If anything happened to you it'll be my head that rolls," he half-joked following behind Kyungsoo as he inspected some swords closely. The two walked around aimlessly, other than Kyungsoo voicing out questions every now and then, it was silent. Tao fell a step behind Kyungsoo as they reached the section holding the bows, he glanced outside not noticing Kyungsoo come into an abrupt stop in his tracks.

Tao twisted in shock when he heard Kyungsoo drop onto the floor letting out an ear-splitting scream. Guards swarmed in as Tao knelt beside Kyungsoo franticly trying to see if he had been hurt, but the prince wildly pushed his hands away pupils dilated in terror as he glanced at a point above Tao’s head. The hunter ly seeing a bow,

"What’s wrong, where are you hurt?!" He yelled trying to grab onto the prince who started to hyperventilate, Kyungsoo shot up,

"Yeol!" They all scrambled after him as he tore through the weapons, Tao stayed rooted in his spot mouth slightly agape, shocked to see the usually calm prince react so violently. More weapons were torn and thrown out of place as Kyungsoo repeated the word like a mantra.

The doors to the weapon chamber slammed open the force so great it knocked over spears lining the walls, Yifan stood in the doorway chest heaving as he took in the scene he had hurriedly rushed to when he heard the screams. He moved in quickly when Kyungsoo was forced into a corner, the younger was letting out threatened hisses as he backed up against the wall. Yifan grabbed onto his arms pinning him between him and the wall ignoring the kicking his shins received. Kyungsoo snapped at his neck, fangs bared.

"Calm down," he roared over Kyungsoo's incoherent screaming, when that didn’t work Yifan tightened his grip moving forward to completely press the thrashing Kyungsoo against the wall with his body. The boy was going wild, eyes almost losing all its white as his breaths came out in short and rapid pants.

"Calm down," Yifan repeated softly one hand releasing its hold on Kyungsoo's arm to pat his head, an action he had observed Baekhyun doing when Kyungsoo was upset.

"I'm here," he whispered ignoring his stunned guards, Kyungsoo let out a tiny whimper as he stopped struggling head dropping forward onto Yifan's shoulder, body shaking. The Wu prince felt wetness seep through his shirt, he kept on patting Kyungsoo's head waiting for him to calm down. Yifan turned slowly with Kyungsoo still in his arms and mentioned Tao over. The hunter approached warily,

"What happened?"

Tao shrugged helplessly,

"He was fine then he just started yelling and throwing things..." Tao trailed off completely at loss of words, an older hunter one that had trained both Tao and Yifan came forward.

"I think Prince Kyungsoo, might have reacted so violently due to that," Tao and Yifan followed the man's hand, Tao frowned not understanding as Yifan stiffened.

He took in the sight of his first bow one he had once held onto with so much pride, it was still as majestic as the day his father had gifted it to him. It was this very bow that brought about his first encounter with Kyungsoo, one that had pierced through the shaking Kyungsoo’s pale skin almost killing him. Yifan's eyes narrowed,

"Destroy it!" He hissed lifting Kyungsoo up into his arms and striding out of the room.

 

-

 

Kyungsoo felt something wet brush against his unusually warm skin, he groaned forcing his heavy eyelids open. He made out Yifan gazing at him eyes filled with guilt and remorse, Kyungsoo suddenly felt suffocated. He wanted to reach out for Yifan, but instead remained still in silence as Yifan continued to gently dab at his face with a wet towel,

“I am sorry,” Yifan lowered his eyes to Kyungsoo’s shoulder, “I never actually apologized,” Kyungsoo gasped startled when Yifan placed a hand on his chest under his collarbone, one he only realized was exposed now, “this,” Yifan breathed eyes lingering on the puncture scar, “is my doing,” Kyungsoo’s eyes watered not liking the demeaning look in Yifan’s eyes or the barely controlled frustration laced in his voice.

“Yifan-“

“We head back to your kingdom tomorrow,” Yifan cut in standing up preparing to leave, Kyungsoo sat up hurriedly.

“We just arrived yesterday! Your parents will be offended,” he protested wrapping himself in Yifan’s covers as the other’s eyes strayed to his chest again, Kyungsoo let out an exasperated huff, “If this is because of what happened earlier-“ he paused lie already at the tip of his tongue, “it’s fine really, I’m fine,”

“Fine?” Yifan scoffed before his eyes narrowed, “You probably don’t remember, but you almost went feral. Prince or not, my hunters would have killed you,” Kyungsoo shivered at the promise in Yifan’s tone, “we leave tomorrow, be ready to bid my parents farewell.”

Kyungsoo nodded dejectedly at the finality in Yifan’s voice, he sank back into the mattress, Yifan sighed at the sight.

“Do you want anything to eat?” Kyungsoo shook his head burrowing himself under the covers,

“Just send Tao in,” he said quietly, Yifan held back the objection rising in his throat and gave a curt nod as he left the room. Tao stood up straighter when he saw Yifan,

“He wants you,” the prince muttered monotonously, Tao nodded striding past him to get to Kyungsoo. Yifan glanced at the two warily before shutting the door behind him reluctantly.

-

 

Tao eyed Kyungsoo carefully as he approached the bed, the prince lowered the covers to his neck peering up at the cautious Tao.

“Did I really almost go feral?” he questioned softly, Tao didn’t answer opting to stand at the edge of the bed silently. The hunter was afraid of agitating him but his eyes were filled with questions, Kyungsoo released his hold on the covers letting it pool around his waist. As expected Tao’s eyes zeroed in on his the spot slightly below his left collarbone, Kyungsoo fought the urge to cover himself up. He took a deep breath,

“Have you ever wondered how Yifan and I met?” Tao shook his head at Kyungsoo’s question, the ends of the prince’s lips lifted as his eyes darkened,

“Would you like to hear a story, Hunter Huang?”

 



A//N: Elloooooo Babiessss!! Happy Belated New Year!!!!! I'll try to update this as much as I can  :) I pwomiseeeeeeeeee <3 <3 Hope you enjoyed the chapter although it seemed quite off to me. IDK, anyways see y'all next time ;P