Reunions

Night Prince

 

Kyungsoo stared at Yifan’s portrait unblinkingly, fingers drumming against his thigh in a nervous manner. He had been feeling restless since he woke up, and it did not help the least that Baekhyun had locked himself up in his room for a whole day after Kyungsoo and Tao returned from their visit to Luhan and Minseok’s. The hunter had tried to appease Kyungsoo, saying that Baekhyun was probably sulking because they had left him behind and that it was better to leave him be until he approached them of his own accord. 

 

The coming of dawn had approached silently without Baekhyun’s incessant chattering. Kyungsoo had taken to patrolling with Tao until the hunter had gotten tired of his dull expression and banished him to the gallery.

 

His attention was pulled away from the portrait as he felt someone approach him at a fast pace, steps hurried. Baekhyun appeared through the southernmost entrance expression agitated, appearance unusually haggard for one so taken with his own looks.

 

“Where is Tao?” he asked hurriedly scanning the room for the hunter, Kyungsoo frowned at his tone.

 

“He had to see to a breach on the Southern end of the castle,”

 

Baekhyun nodded grabbing Kyungsoo’s wrist,

 

“Great, come with me,”

 

He tried to drag Kyungsoo, but the other stood his ground pulling his wrist out of Baekhyun’s hold expression uneasy. Something in him was warning him not to go, even if it was with Baekhyun.

 

“Where?” he asked, Baekhyun let out a frustrated groan running a hand through his hair,

 

“Just come!”

 

Kyungsoo remained rooted in his spot, carefully gauging Baekhyun’s expression but finding nothing that betrayed what the other was thinking. This made him more anxious.

 

“Please,” Kyungsoo bit his lip as Baekhyun grabbed him again, gently this time. He was never one to beg, Kyungsoo nodded reluctantly.

 

Kyungsoo kept his questions to himself as Baekhyun lead him away, away from the castle and away from safety. Kyungsoo glanced back at the towering walls praying for Tao to suddenly appear and intercept them even if it meant he would have to deal with a long and winding lecture coupled with a guilt trip. His attention was pulled forward once again as a shadow fell over him, they had entered the forest. His steps faltered, Baekhyun glanced over his shoulder visibly guilty at how reluctant Kyungsoo was,

 

“Trust me,”

 

Kyungsoo grit his teeth and moved forward ignoring his gut feeling to flee back to the castle.

 

-

 

“Baekhyun-“ Kyungsoo stopped walking, pulling his hand out of Baekhyun’s hold. He shook his head taking a step back as the hairs on his neck stood, they had been walking for minutes and the deeper they got, the more confident Kyungsoo was that they were not alone. He could not pinpoint point what it was exactly due to the numerous creatures in the forest, but he was sure. “I won’t go in any further- whatever it is, just say it!”

 

Baekhyun sighed,

 

“I just wanted to be careful, but you’re right- we shouldn't go any further,” his last line wasn't delivered to Kyungsoo. The prince frowned in confusion following Baekhyun’s angry gaze. He tensed as two figures approached them, their presence only hitting Kyungsoo now.

 

“No,” he whispered in shock, Chanyeol had the decency to look ashamed. Jongin on the other hand supported an almost arrogant look that was foreign on his face, Kyungsoo shook his head unable to feel even a little bit elated at their appearance.

 

“They’ll kill you.”

 

 

-

 

 

The thundering sounds of a thousand approaching horses alerted Kyungsoo and Baekhyun of the hunters return. Kyungsoo stood up wringing his hands nervously as he and Baekhyun made their way towards the entrance of the castle. Baekhyun reached out for Kyungsoo’s hand, holding it in his to calm him slightly. Even with three days of planning, Kyungsoo did not know how he could even begin to tell Yifan aabout Chanyeol and Jongin.

 

“Are you sure you want to tell Yifan? Can you trust him to not go after them?” Baekhyun asked not unkindly but in genuine concern for their friends’ safety.

 

“He has made it nothing but clear that his only targets are the feral Weres, Baekhyun,” Kyungsoo said as they descended the staircase in the main foyer, where endless conversations from the returned hunters filled the air. They were unusually rowdy despite their tattered appearance, some had even started stripping off their foul garments. Baekhyun frowned at the scene in distaste,

 

“Well, if you must,” he commented releasing Kyungsoo’s hand as they sidestepped a burly hunter,

 

“I must,” Kyungsoo answered trying to convince himself as well as he searched the room, “I must not keep secrets- Yifan!”

 

The crown prince turned at Kyungsoo’s surprised cry, lips lifting in a tired grin as he caught sight of his husband approaching with a small smile.  Kyungsoo had crossed half the distance separating them when he suddenly stopped eyes travelling across the expense of Yifan’s exposed chest.

 

His chest was littered in cuts of varying degree, Kyungsoo’s lips parted as he unconsciously took a step backwards. He was told Yifan was rarely injured during his hunts. The castle staff often boasted to Kyungsoo of their Crown Prince’s superior hunting skills daily, if not hourly. Yet, here Yifan was, covered in bruises and cuts. This was his fault, the feral Weres were more aggressive because of him.

 

His eyes darted around the room only now registering the varying injuries on all the hunters’ bodies, this was his fault. The smile on Yifan’s face disappeared as he saw the remorse registering on Kyungsoo’s face. He strode forward ignoring the cries of protests from the healer that was previously looking over him to see if there were any injuries great enough to warrant his help. Yifan grabbed Kyungsoo’s hand before he could flee, the other hand coming up to caress Kyungsoo’s cheek shocking the younger prince. The foyer fell silent with the uncharacteristic tender action, but Yifan’s was too focused on Kyungsoo to care.

 

“They will fade,” he said gently astonishing Kyungsoo with his perceptiveness, Kyungsoo managed a weak smile despite feeling his heart sink. He could not tell Yifan now, not yet.

 

“Welcome home,” he said instead feeling Baekhyun’s stare on him, he looked over his shoulder at his friend. Baekhyun nodded approvingly at his silence, yet Kyungsoo felt no relief with the approval. He leaned into Yifan’s palm eyes fluttering shut so the other could not see the expression they held,

 

“I’ve missed you.”

 

-

 

 

The morning was a cold one, one that had a chill that would continue into the day and last through the night. The sun was bound to appear on the horizon at any moment now but its golden rays would be muted by the thick fog that frequently blanketed the castle and its surrounding. Kyungsoo leaned against the window frame hand pressed against the cold glass as he watched the towns come alive in the distance. He missed the sun, he missed home.

 

‘This is your home now,’ Yifan had whispered as the two laid side by side the night before, bodies only inches away from each other. Kyungsoo had shifted closing the distance between their bodies unintentionally making Yifan immediately tense up. The hunter bit his tongue in punishment of his adverse reflex to Kyungsoo when the other froze. The younger prince pulled away sitting up with a wounded look, gaze calculative as he took in Yifan’s rigid posture. Yifan turned his gaze to the ceiling pointedly avoiding the other’s eyes, Kyungsoo let out a tiny sigh.

 

“Do you hate me that much?” he questioned voice soft, Yifan’s head snapped to Kyungsoo at the question. He sat up frown marring his brows,

 

“Why would I marry you if I hated you?” he asked not understanding how Kyungsoo came to that conclusion.

 

“Because it is your duty,” was Kyungsoo’s bitter answer remembering Yifan’s conversation with his uncle.

 

“I didn’t marry you merely out of duty,” Yifan started hesitantly, “to be completely honest I have been interested in you…” he cleared his throat in embarrassment at his confession. He was so busy trying to avoid looking at Kyungsoo that he missed the look of surprise on the other’s face. The look morphed into one of relief then delight, Kyungsoo kept silent willing Yifan to look his way. The other did, looking at Kyungsoo in confusion when he merely smiled at the hunter.

 

“You are exceptionally handsome, Yifan,” he reached out for Yifan’s hand tentatively, smile growing wider when the other did nothing to pull away, “but you’re cold, even Tao holds my hand if I ask,” he continued making Yifan’s hand curl into a fist under his palm. His hand twitched before slipping from Kyungsoo’s grasp to wrap around his body, he pulled Kyungsoo towards him cautiously.

 

“I will try my hardest to be affectionate, do not seek out others unless you wish to see their heads mounted on my wall.”

 

Kyungsoo could not help but grin at the slight growl in Yifan’s voice, Kyungsoo pushed his luck lowering his head on Yifan’s shoulder while his arm wrapped around Yifan’s toned torso. Yifan responded by drawing Kyungsoo in against him dwarfing his smaller structure within his huge frame. Kyungsoo fell asleep that morning feeling the type of warmness he never would have imagined to receive from Yifan.

 

“You are an early riser,” Kyungsoo was brought out of his thoughts by the groggy comment, he turned to face Yifan who was rubbing the sleep out of his eyes.

“It is still early, I will wake you up later,” Kyungsoo said softly, his guilty conscience had not allowed him to sleep. He had woken up an hour later and had left the bed knowing it was futile to try and go back to sleep. He approached the bed knowing his husband did not stop for any rest during his hunt, but Yifan shook his head.

 

“Why sleep when you’re awake?” he replied eyes instinctively fluttering shut as Kyungsoo leaned forward pressing a chaste kiss against his forehead.

 

Kyungsoo felt the two had entered a new ground after their conversation, one Kyungsoo was afraid of testing too soon. His throat itched to tell Yifan of Chanyeol and Jongin, but as Yifan shifted baring his healing scars to Kyungsoo he felt the words die in his mouth. He did not want to loose the lazy yet warm gaze currently directed at him. He was too greedy now that he had gotten a taste of it.

 

“Good Morning.” He said instead, lowering his eyes because he could not bear seeing the admiration in Yifan’s.



A/N: Hi :)