Understanding

Night Prince

 

Baekhyun and Kyungsoo lazed around in the garden wandering and wasting time, they couldn’t stand being cooped inside the castle both weren’t fond of Yifan’s hunters with the exception of Tao is Kyungsoo’s case. It wasn’t because they were rowdy and obnoxious it the exact opposite, they were too quiet, too stealthy and heeded to all Yifan’s orders like dogs. Kyungsoo leaned over the edge of the fountain dipping his hand in distorting Baekhyun’s reflection, the boy weakly swatted Kyungsoo’s hand away and continued staring at his reflection.

“I wish I was born a Were-“ Baekhyun slapped a hand over Kyungsoo’s mouth, he looked around wildly before dragging Kyungsoo further into the garden away from prying eyes and ears,

“Are you insane!” he took his hand away wiping it against Kyungsoo’s shirt before he dropped onto the grass ungracefully, “Don’t even joke about that!”

“I’m not joking, sometimes I wish I wasn’t me. I’d rather be a Were, a Warlock, even human,” Kyungsoo sighed before shaking his head and getting a hold of himself,

“I’m just-“

“Tired,” Baekhyun supplied mentioning for Kyungsoo to lay beside him,

“Tired,” Kyungsoo agreed as he sat beside Baekhyun, “I am not fit to be prince,”

“You are fit to be King-“ this time it was Kyungsoo who slapped a hand over Baekhyun’s mouth,

“Treachery,” he hissed, Baekhyun rolled his eyes pulling Kyungsoo’s hand away,

“I’m the person least likely to commit treachery,” he said, “you might want to keep an eye out for Seungsoo’s wife though her eyes light up whenever she sees the crown.”

Kyungsoo pinched Baekhyun’s side, the older vampire rolled away laughing. Kyungsoo let a small smile slip.

“You still hold a grudge?”

“She thought I was your fiancée, a girl none the less!” Kyungsoo laughed at the memory, while Baekhyun supported one of his biggest pouts.

“She’s evil,” he hissed making Kyungsoo laugh even harder,

“Please Baekhyun, if she wasn’t a vampire she’d be a saint.” He calmed down and looked up wistfully, “She will be a good queen and my brother will be a great king,”

Baekhyun’s pout dissolved and he stared up at the clear skies somberly,

“And what of you, Kyungsoo? What will you be? A trophy for Yifan to flaunt? Will you really be able to stand by a hunter’s side for eternity?”

“If he wishes it,” Kyungsoo replied quietly, Baekhyun let out a sigh intending to argue more but bit his lip knowing Kyungsoo didn’t need to hear any more negativity from him.

 

-

 

Baekhyun and Kyungsoo sat up rubbing their tired eyes, they had been staring at the sky for too long. Kyungsoo looked at the maid that had just come to fetch them,

“Did father say why he wanted us?” the maid shook her head, before telling them where the king was. They thanked her and headed to the library, the two bowed as they entered.

“You wanted us father?” the King nodded mentioning for them to sit.

“Prince Yifan has informed me that his family wishes to meet you, they have written requesting for him to bring you for at least a few days,”

Kyungsoo nodded calmly he had expected this, sooner or later he would have to meet his future in laws.

“When does he plan to leave?” he asked his father.

“As soon as the moon rises,” Baekhyun let out a small shriek,

“I can’t pack that fast!”

“That’s probably the reason why,” the king muttered sharing a small smile with his son.

“You do not have to come, Baekhyun,”

“But-“ Kyungsoo cut off his protest with a wave of his hand,

“It’s only for a few days and as you have said you will not have finished packing by the time we have to leave,” Kyungsoo reasoned, Baekhyun nodded dejectedly.

“If you say so,”

“If that is all father I’ll leave you now to pack,”

The King nodded dismissing the two.

 

-

 

Kyungsoo rubbed his mare’s neck as he looked her over making sure she was fit for the journey, Baekhyun’s brows were furrowed.

“They offered you a carriage yet you chose to ride?” Kyungsoo smiled as Baekhyun secretly fussed over him,

“I would rather breathe in fresh air and take in the sights,” he commented as Yifan and his men came towards them.

“You still insist on riding?” he asked Baekhyun rolled his eyes,

“Would you rather he fly?”

“Hyung, don’t get worked up over nothing,” Kyungsoo chided softly, Baekhyun deflated throwing his arms around Kyungsoo much to Yifan’s displeasure.

“Be safe,”

“Why worry? I have Prince Yifan and Tao,” Baekhyun glared at the two said men over Kyungsoo’s shoulder,

“That does little to reassure me,” he released Kyungsoo, “If you need me call me, I’ll bring the dogs.”

Kyungsoo shot a quick glare at Baekhyun when Yifan’s brows furrowed,

“I don’t recall seeing any d-“

“Your highness, we should leave if we want to be home by two moons,” Tao cut in, Yifan nodded gesturing for his men to get ready. They all mounted their horses waiting for Kyungsoo who gave one last hug to Baekhyun and a quick peck on his cheek. Tao glanced at Yifan noting the tenseness, he put a hand on Kyungsoo’s lower back urging him to hurry.

“Keep an eye out for them,” Kyungsoo mouthed eyes darting to the thick trees towards their west, Baekhyun nodded and took a step back as Tao helped Kyungsoo get on his horse.

Baekhyun waved them off yelling his various versions of goodbyes to Kyungsoo, Tao rode up to Kyungsoo’s side with a grin.

“Prince Yifan appointed me as your guard,” he said putting on a show of using honorfics in public, his eyes sparkling excitedly, Kyungsoo on the other hand felt apprehensive.

“Is there a need for me to be guarded?” he asked quietly leaning towards Tao so no one else would overhear their conversation.

“Our Kingdom is built right by the sea Prince Kyungsoo, it borderlines the forgotten lands that even our valiant King dares not venture into, we face threats everyday from all directions… others think we are barbaric and fear us, they think we hunt for the thrill but our main aim is to protect.” Tao paused looking of into the distance knowingly,

“Unlike your kingdom Prince Kyungsoo our Weres are not civilized they come from deep within the forbidden lands and prey on our people defenseless or not. We hunt not only to protect our loved ones but also to make sure the Weres do not get to the other kingdoms,” Tao smiled at Kyungsoo shocked look as he took all the new information in,

“We dedicate our life to protect yet get shunned in return, fortunately we have your father’s friendship and for that we are forever grateful to him and you of course,”

“To me?” Kyungsoo understood why they were thankful to his father but he couldn’t get why they’d be thankful for him. Tao nodded,

“You are a figure much respected and looked up to by others Prince Kyungsoo, whether it be vampires, warlocks, weres or humans. They all love you, when you accepted the engagement to Prince Yifan it immediately put him in a good light. Just as you are rumored to be the warmest vampire he is said to be the coldest, our poor prince never had the chance to prove differently until now.”

Kyungsoo glanced at the lone figure riding ahead of them, riding posture every bit perfect as he led his men and Kyungsoo. Yifan looked relaxed and unguarded and very handsome Kyungsoo realized with a shocked start. He stopped his blatant admiring feeling Tao’s eyes on him, he turned to look at the other man,

“I was going to ask you to give Yifan a chance,” he began eyes flickering towards the prince in front before returning to Kyungsoo thoughtfully, “but I don’t think that’s necessary anymore, is it?”

 

-

 

Kyungsoo let out a relieved sigh, they had finally arrived. Kyungsoo had appreciated getting to know Tao and taking in the varying scenery during the first part of their journey but the riding was starting to take its toll on him, he was positive that his bottom and other areas had developed bruises.

He dismounted his horse and adjusted the two cloaks he was wearing, he had not known Yifan’s kingdom was a cold one but he had refused the fur coat they had offered him.

The poor prince had almost fainted in shock when he was presented with a fur coat the same shade as Chanyeol’s fur. Yifan had given him his own cloak then and even though it dwarfed him it was a much more welcomed gift. Yifan stood behind him as they entered the castle,

“Follow me,” he ordered brushing by him to lead the way. Kyungsoo followed closely behind Yifan matching his long strides as instructed, the two passed through a hallway one that expanded into a gallery.

Kyungsoo slowed down taking in the portraits and finally came to a complete stop when his eyes settled on a particular portrait. A soft gasp escaped him as he took in the portrait, it was striking and stood out from all the rest. Kyungsoo had received many compliments for his good looks over the years, but compared to what he was looking at he was nothing.

How unfair Kyungsoo thought as he studied the portrait, that such beauty was not bestowed on a girl but on a boy! His hand reached out towards the porcelain looking boy, fingers gently tracing over engraved letters on the golden plaque.

“Lu-“

“Kyungsoo!” the boy jumped hand dropping quickly, he turned to see an angry Yifan striding towards him. Yifan grabbed his arm dragging him away from the gallery.

“Do not leave my side!” he hissed, Kyungsoo’s mind was still on the portrait.

“Who’s Luhan?” he asked recalling the name. Yifan stopped walking and looked at Kyungsoo eyes hard and angry.

“No one, now hurry up the King and Queen wish to see you,” Kyungsoo nodded not commenting on the lack of affection Yifan’s tone held towards his own parents. They walked towards the throne room in silence, Yifan pushed the two doors open ignoring the guards standing by it.

“We’ve arrived,” he announced causing all conversation in the room to cease, all eyes turned to them. Kyungsoo’s straightened his posture when the two figures on the elevated dais stood,

“Ah, Yifan, going to the Do Court did nothing for your manners,” the golden haired woman lamented with a mock sigh. She turned her attention to Kyungsoo and lowered her head a fraction, Kyungsoo returned the greeting with a deep bow. She smiled as Kyungsoo straightened up and he was struck at the similarity she had to Luhan. As if knowing what he thought the queen turned to Yifan,

“If you are free you should pay Luhan and Mi-“

“We are not free,” Yifan cut in before turning on his heels and striding out, Kyungsoo’s mouth fell open in shock. He bowed before running after Yifan, he saw Yifan turn a corner ascending stairs by the time he caught up with the taller vampire Kyungsoo’s chest was heaving. He had not known the stairs led to a tower.

He opened his mouth about to reprimand Yifan for his rudeness but fell silent when he caught the other standing in front of the tower window arms wrapped around himself tightly, the perfect picture of insecurity.

Yifan faced Kyungsoo and he froze not knowing what to do or say. Yifan let out a drawn out sigh eyes shutting as he leaned backwards against the cold wall.

“I did not want to come back,” he admitted after a few seconds of silence, Kyungsoo’s eyebrows rose surprised.

“I always told myself as soon as fath- the king would allow it, I would move away. Far, far away, to a land that didn’t make me feel so numb all the time.” Yifan lowered his arms, “I planned a life filled with days where I didn’t have to be responsible and could be selfish but he ruined it all, he took it all away!”

“The King?” Yifan shook his head angrily,

“Luhan, the golden child, the faultless son, the perfect heir,” he scoffed as he listed down the qualities sarcastically, “not such a good brother though,”

“Luhan is your brother,” Kyungsoo said trying to make sense of Yifan’s angry rant, “an older brother, the original heir?”

Yifan nodded with a smirk,

“Yes Kyungsoo, my brother who I shared all my dreams with so earnestly stole the freedom I strongly desired. He fell in love with a warlock,” Yifan laughed hollowly at the hilarity of it all, “and then he ran away forcing his unwanted throne onto me,”

Yifan snorted at the shock on Kyungsoo’s face,

“Looks can be deceiving, can’t they Prince Kyungsoo,” he continued nonchalantly. Kyungsoo took a step forward reaching out to touch Yifan’s face, to wipe the angry tear he had unconsciously shed,

“Yes they certainly can,” he replied softly slowly starting to understand Yifan.



A//N: Hey everybodyyyyyy!!! kekekekee has anyone seen Kyungsoo's new hair color? O.O I love itttttt!!!! I love it ilove it i love it!!! hahahaa enough lovin kekeke the twilight parody though.... killed me by laughter!! hoped you enjoyed reading loveliessss!!! I apologies for any typos I was in a rush :)