Angel

From U

I opened my eyes and saw the ceiling… instead of Kangin’s eyes. I instantly sat up and realized it was all just a dream. I looked around my room and saw that Hyuk and Hae were still cuddling each other in their sleep.

Why did I dream about stuff like that? I don’t even know him that much yet… and… he’s a guy.

I reluctantly got out of bed as I pressed my hands against my head.

I better stop thinking about it or I’ll be late for school…

 

“What happened to you yesterday?” Wookie greeted me at the gates when he saw me that morning.

“I was sent to detention,” I said.

“Detention? They still have detention here?” he looked surprised.

“That’s just high school-ish!” Yesung suddenly appeared behind us and wrapped his arms on our shoulders “anyways, would you like to come over to my house after class?”

“What’s up?” I asked.

“I bought a turtle yesterday!” he excitedly said.

“Really!?” Wookie asked. He looked equally excited about the turtle.

“Yep!” Yesung answered “I wanted to bring him here but he’s just a baby, he might get crushed in my bag or something…”

That whole morning, the two of them talked about Yesung’s new pet that he named Ddangkoma. It was fun watching them read through the thick book about turtles.

“Someday I’d like to have a pet giraffe” Wookie said and I laughed.

 

The bell rang for lunch time and as usual, all the students rushed off to the canteen to secure seats. I, on the other hand thought about something else. While Yesung and Wookie were looking for empty seats, I excused myself. I walked along the empty corridors and my feet dragged me to the detention room. I peeped through the small window on the door and saw that the room was empty.

Hmm, maybe he’s just late or something

 

I let myself in and sat on the same chair as yesterday. A few minutes later, the door opened and Kangin entered. We were both surprised when we saw each other. Maybe he was surprised because he didn’t expect me to be there that day. I was surprised because he had bruises on his face and his lower lip was bleeding.

“What happened to you?” I stood up and approached him.

“Nothing…” he shook his head and sulked as he sat down.

 

Ignoring the fact that he was in a foul mood again, I opened my bag and took out the iodine and the few cotton balls that Hyuk prepared for me, just in case I get hit by a rock again.

“Here, I’ll take care of it,” I said as I gently pressed the cotton balls on his bruises. He winced but he didn’t push me away. My insides churned when I felt his eyes on me.

“I don’t want you to be my friend, Leeteuk,” he said.

I stopped and looked at him. Is this what it feels like to have a broken heart?

“...from now on, can you be my angel?” he softly said.

I pinched myself… I’m not dreaming.