Gone

From U

Time flew extremely fast. I couldn’t believe today’s the day.

It felt like it was just yesterday when I was hit on the head with a rock by a raging raccoon. And then I was thrown in detention because of my crazy laugh. I didn’t regret that at all because that was where I became friends with Kangin… that raging raccoon. That was where I also met his pretty hyung, the university’s number one diva, Kim Heechul. He has been accelerated since high school, which made him finish college early.

 

Unexpected things happened during our second year. Kangin and I became best friends. The scary burly kid whom I hated at first turned out to be the sweetest and most caring best friend I could ever have.

 

Unforgettable events happened during our third year. The student body organized a homecoming. It was awesome! They said it was the highlight during high school days, but I skipped homecoming back then because I got sick. So I really appreciated it when they organized one at college! It was held at an old abandoned stadium near the outskirts of Sapphireville. The entire student body came and we all had fun. Even the professors and our alumni joined.

“Can I have this dance?” Kangin walked up to me as I was getting a drink at the punch bowl. That time, a romantic song was playing.

“Have you danced with all the ladies already?” I chuckled as I asked.

“I haven’t danced with anyone,” he leaned closer “there’s only one person I’ll dance the whole night with.”

 

Knowing perfectly well that he was just teasing me, I took his hand and we went to the middle to dance. After Heechul graduated, Kangin and I took the throne of popularity. We never really intended to do so, but people noticed us because of our good standing at school and our activeness in other school activities. That night, we were crowned as King and Queen of Homecoming. My pictures wearing a tiara with a bouquet of flowers made the front page of the university’s newspaper. Kangin was so proud!

 

 

Unexplainable things happened at the start of our fourth year. I haven’t heard from Kangin the whole summer vacation… and when it came to enrollment, he wasn’t there. I was hopeful that he would catch up with the semester. He always wanted a grand entrance, the trait he inherited from his hyung. But the semester came and ended… and he didn’t show up.

 

Without my best friend, I felt quite empty. It was a relief that my cousin Hyukjae and his childhood friend, Donghae were there to accompany me even if I was a year ahead of them. And because of that, I became close with one of their friends, the lovely Kang Sora. She was extremely nice, down to earth, and studious. We were labeled as the “Dimple Couple”, thanks to Hyukjae. She helped me focus on studies again because I became lazy when Kangin disappeared. I went to his house and asked Heechul about it. He simply said that Kangin followed his dreams.

 

Before the term ended, we held another homecoming dance. My date that night was Sora. She looked ravishing wearing her white mini dress. The King and Queen of the night was no other than EunHae… because my cousin wore a y blue dress. How embarrassing.

 

 

All of those unexpected, unforgettable, and unexplainable memories flashed back in an instant before my eyes as I went up the stage and received my college diploma. I had honors… but I still felt incomplete.