Old Times

From U

“Mr. Park Jungsoo,” she started to say with her hands on her hips “can you explain where you have been?”

“I—“ I stuttered “I just had—“

“According to your assistant, you have a conference to attend to, half an hour ago,” she sternly said.

 

I wanted to point out that Kangin’s back. My best friend who’s been gone for five years. He’s back. But of course I knew I was at fault. There was a conference scheduled for me to attend, but I completely forgot about it. Sora left my office looking disappointed. My heart broke.

 

“Sorry I got you into trouble…” Kangin said as he looked at the boring magazines in my office “I should’ve dropped by after working hours—“

“No it wasn’t your fault,” I assured him with a sincere smile “I don’t want to go to that boring conference in the first place.”

“Your boss looked really upset though,” he stood up and prepared to leave “if it’s okay, I’ll just come back tomorrow, around sunset…”

“Don’t worry about her, she’s just under a lot of pressure right now,” I said and walked out of the office with Kangin “it’s more than okay for me,” I nodded and waved when he got in the elevator.

 

The day continued with my normal work duties. Everything was boring and tiresome but I was smiling all the same because of what happened.

 

 

The next day, as promised, Kangin showed up a few minutes before my shift ended. We walked around the area and had little talk.

“You haven’t changed a bit, Teukie,” Kangin said, keeping his eyes on me “and blonde suits you well. You really look like an angel now.”

My cheeks burned at the compliment so I just looked at the ground.

“I guess I owe you an apology…” he then said with a more serious tone.

 

I’ve wanted to ask him that topic since yesterday but I didn’t know how to open it up. It was a relief that he decided to open up himself.

“You hate me, I get that—“

“No, no I don’t—“

“Oh stop it Teukie, I’ll be able to forgive myself if you admit that you hated me… because I deserve it. I never should’ve left without…”

He paused and let the statement hang in the air.

“I was mad at first,” I said “but of course I understood that you wanted to follow your dreams. It would’ve been wrong if I ask you to stay…”

“Go on, continue,” he nudged me “just let it out.”

“BUT WOULD IT KILL YOU TO JUST INFORM ME!?” I finally shouted as I punched him hard on his arm. I wasn’t angry or anything. In fact, it felt good that I finally said what I’ve wanted to say for years.

“You would laugh at me if I answer that question” Kangin chuckled.

He then wrapped an arm around my neck as he pulled me closer and started to scrunch my hair. I had to struggle to get his grip lose because people were staring oddly at us. Eventually he released me as we laughed.

“Hey I almost forgot,” Kangin said “your snooty boss that I saw yesterday. She looks extremely familiar… like I’ve seen her before…”