First Day

From U

“Hyung!” I heard an irritating voice “hyung wake up!”

“Go away…” I mumbled as I pulled the blankets tighter.

“Hyung you’re gonna be late for school! It’s your first day of class!”

With that statement, my eyes shot wide open immediately. I checked the little calendar on top of my study desk and saw that it really was the first day of class already! Why did I sleep late again last night!? Curse those cheesy pocket books that I couldn’t put down!

“Thanks Hyukkie!” I patted the cheek of my cousin as I ran past him on my way to the bathroom.

 

I took a quick bath then double checked my school bag if I had everything ready. I’ve been both nervous and excited about this day for months and I couldn’t believe that I’ll be late. I ran straight outside, took my bike then pedaled my way to Sapphireville University. They always said that college is completely different from high school. I didn’t have a great high school life… so I was hoping that they would be right. Just a week ago, I kept on telling myself that I should stop reading those cheesy little pocket books and start to grow up now that I’m in college… but last night I couldn’t help it. There was a new trilogy with great reviews and I couldn’t really put it down until I finish the whole thing! I regretted that because now I’m pedaling as fast as I can to somehow make it to the first subject without too much embarrassment and a lousy first impression from the professors.

 

“MADE IT!” I shouted with joy when I reached the university.

 

As expected, everyone was in their respective rooms already. It’s the first day of class... and I’m lost. I wasn’t aware that the university was this big and there are no instructions where to find the rooms. I passed by a couple of other students who looked like Seniors but they just ignored me when I tried to ask where my room is. I was nearly panicking as I turned at every corridor hoping to see my first subject when suddenly I was bumped by someone who was running.

“Ouch!!” I said as I fell down on the floor.

I was expecting a little apology and a helping hand… but all I got is a skeptical stare. The person who bumped me continued to run. He took a quick glimpse back at me but said nothing and turned to the next corridor.

 

I stood up, brushed my pants then walked to the direction where he came from. After a few rooms, I found the one I was looking for! The doors were wide open so I silently let myself in.

“Late on the first day, I see.” The professor spoke when I entered.

“Sorry professor Choi,” I bowed as I apologized.

“Take that empty seat at the back” he casually said “your name by the way?”

“Jungsoo sir,” I said as I made my way to the back “Park Jungsoo.”

“Ah, so the only one missing in my class is Kim Youngwoon” he said while reading through his class record “okay, we’ll start the class without him. I’ll just write his name to that seat next to yours, Park.”

I nodded. I just hope he’s not as rude at the guy who bumped me earlier at the corridor coz college life would definitely be different from my high school life. It’ll be worse.