Chapter 5

Neighbors 2: The Change/ Second Chance

Chapter 5!

 

 

Donghae's P.O.V

 

 

The first time I saw her, I knew she was really special. I was there when she was still recovering. She experienced trauma and had been very depressed. How she could not talk for days, her nightmares, how she slowly built this sort of anger towards a certain person, who she formerly loved. I was there.

 

"Ms. Hyoyeon? Ma’am? You got to take your medicine."

 

She was looking outside the window, totally disconnected. I was watching her while I was visiting my sister in the same hospital where they were both admitted. I was a stranger; a stranger who cared.

 

I heard that she was flown all the way from Seoul to Boston to seek further medication after a serious vehicular accident. Her legs were badly injured that she had to undergo surgical treatment.

 

That instance, I was there in the hallway drinking coffee when I noticed how she completely ignored her nurse. The nurse tried encouraging her to drink her meds but all her words landed on deaf ears. The nurse then saw me and smiled. I motioned for her to leave even asked if I could try.

 

With the door already opened, I stepped inside her room and walked towards her.

 

“Hi!” No response. I tried again.

 

“Hi, Miss… Are you a korean?” Still no answer

 

“I’m Donghae… you know, my sister is in the other room. Uhm… Actually I’ve been observing you earlier and I notice that you don’t have anyone here with you… Sorry, if I enter your room without any permission. The nurse knows that I’m here, don’t worry.”

 

I don’t know if she could hear me but there was something about her that caught my interest, I sort of took it upon myself to try and try until she gives in. For some strange reason, I never wanted to give up on her. That if I could make her drink these tablets on this cup then that was definitely something that I would feel happy about.

 

She did not respond. She was just staring outside the window. I took the time to look at her eyes, her full lips, her seemingly soft skin, her tresses that were neatly combed. All of which made me realize that this lady in front me was beyond pretty… she is for my taste, truly beautiful.

 

With her not saying anything, I continued speaking,

 

“Do you want me to take you outside? I could do that but you need to take this medicine first.”

 

Then to my surprise, she slowly wheeled around, to face me. Her eyes roamed and examined this stranger- me. I took the moment to close in, hand her the pill and she took it willingly.

 

That moment, we became friends— I, the stranger and Hyoyeon, the pretty lady in a wheelchair.

 

 

=========

 

 

“What took you so long? I’ve been waiting for you.” She greeted me first. Her smile, as always, was a ray of sunshine on a sweltering afternoon.

 

I leaned over and gave her a soft kiss on the cheek and readily sat beside her. She was on our veranda watching over Hyerim, my sister.

 

“Have you had breakfast already? You want me to get you something?”

 

“I’m okay. And yes, I already had my breakfast with Hyerim earlier. How about you? Did you eat already?”

 

“Nah! Maybe later. By the way, you’re looking good, baby.”

 

“Hahaha, and so are you, baby, haha!”

 

“It’s really good to hear you say that but I just wish that it’s for real…”

 

“Hey, stop that! By the way thank you for the other night and yeah, you know what else, hehe.”

 

“By else? You mean… For waking me up in the middle of the night while I was already sleeping soundly under my warm, comfy blanket? Aigoo… If you only knew haha!”

 

“You’re such a meanie but really, thank you.”

 

She kissed me on the cheek and while I was used to receiving those sweet kisses, I couldn’t resist the urge to ask or at least desire for more. If only…

 

“Hyerim really grew up so fast... Your mom would have been proud of you. You practically raised her yourself.”

 

She looked at me with those lovely orbs of hers and each time I had this chance, I felt so lucky for staying close… for keeping everything safe and close.

 

“Uhm… I have a surprise for you.” I spoke and she looked to my side, softly smiling. Her brows furrowed.

 

“Surprise? Don’t tell me… gawd, don’t you say? Kyahhhh, so happy for you!”

 

Excitement was written all over her face as she puts her arms around me. I received her embrace, reciprocating same amount of warmth that I could possibly muster to give.

 

I wasn’t saying anything but our years… our years of being together made us know each other in ways that only the two of us  could understand.

 

She is my best friend, my very special girl.

 

 

============

 

 

It’s been weeks since I moved out of my sister’s home to check out on my pad. I was thinking of buying a new condo unit. I don’t want to be here anymore.

 

Last night, I started cleaning up. I gathered my things and put the unwanted and non-useable stuff in boxes.

 

I have decided to finally move out of this place for if I wanted things to change with Hyoyeon, I needed to let go of memories.

 

Memories that could gradually tore my sane mind in pieces. I need to let go of things that would often remind me of that night when I started losing everything.

 

This is it Junho… so much for getting stuck… this is how you will move on.

 

I went to the kitchen and started cooking breakfast.

 

Eggs and bacon on one pan, toasted bread set on a plate.

 

Pulled a stool and sat.

 

I took a mouthful of bacon, followed it up with toasted bread then my other hand reached for the broadsheet. My phone suddenly rang.

 

“Hey, bro, good morning, any news? Oh yeah? When will it be finished? Really? Nice, nice. Okay, I’ll go there, I wanna see the unit first then if I like it, I’ll buy it. Thanks, bro. Okay, Okay. Thanks.”

 

That’s more like it. My friends wanted me to start “moving on” then here I am.

 

New plans? How about a new home?

 

 

***************

 

 

I must admit that Donghae is such a really nice guy! Hyo is so lucky to have these guys around her!

Pls. don't forget to Comment, Subscribe & Upvote for this story!!!^^