Chapter 9

Neighbors 2: The Change/ Second Chance

Chapter 9!

 

 

“I thought no one would really accompany me today since Donghae is not here and he’s really busy these days, & Yuri is... I don't know--- pregnant? Hahahah!  But it all change thanks to you... now I won’t be so lonely shopping by myself anymore. Hahaha!”

 

She asked me to come with her. I did not mind. I know, this is partly wrong, she has a boyfriend. I should not be feeling this way. I started out thinking of renewing a lost love but when I moved in to my new home and after that fateful day when she paid a visit, my rationale changed. It had to.

 

“No worries, Plus, I don’t have work today anyways. But may I ask, why are we here?”

 

I looked around and before me stood an expanse of ground known to homemakers as the department store. It was the section where dinnerware, cutlery and other household stuff were highlighted. Another section was reserved for pillow cases, sheets and linens. And there goes another one storing stacks and stacks of bath items.

 

I remembered not doing this with her. For the time when we met, our abodes were already spruced up and fixed. This was a new experience.

 

“I am buying things for my new home.”

 

Did I hear her right? New home? When? Where?

 

“You’re surprised aren’t you?”

 

 She chuckled while looking at a set of melamine plates.

 

“A little bit, but… really? I thought you’re still thinking of going back in Boston? Did you… did you change your mind? Are you staying here for good?”

 

I was hoping for a yes. I want more of her, see her; be with her, despite the fact that she is with someone else.

 

“Maybe? I dunno really and about going back in Boston, I guess I have to go back at some point, there are things that I have to do there. But yeah, I can sell my unit just incase I’ll want go back there, my cousin could rent it too if she wants.”

 

She continued speaking while inspecting rows and rows of tall crystal glasses. Ever since, Hyoyeon had great taste. She knew what she wants in almost anything. When we met, her commanding presence impressed me. The way she handles herself, her demeanor, the way she speaks, her graciousness towards her friends, all of which I remember in detail.

 

“Oh, Why do you look like you’re so shocked? Was it a bad thing?”

 

“No, not at all, I love the idea-- I mean, I bet Yuri would be happy.”

 

“Really? But is she really the only one who would be happy?”

 

And when such question greeted me, I was mum.

 

An entire afternoon spent inside a place that single men rarely visit and I was kind of enjoying it. I was used to moving out and transferring but when it comes to things like household stuff; it was my mom and my sister who helped.

 

If only we got married then maybe, our afternoon trips would include buying baby bottles, nappies and toys.

 

If only I was sooner in making an offer, then I would have been a dad, a father to a mini Hyoyeon or Junho.

 

Cute kids. Playground. In a home.

 

My thoughts. My wishes. Emptied in an instant as brought by a poor choice.

 

Right now, we are inside this coffee shop. She took a sip of her macchiato and I observed.

 

I took a sip of my good old Frappe and for a second, I caught her looking.

 

Glances. It’s like a giveaway, it signals attention, limited maybe, but it gives out something.

 

“So, tell me, that woman that I saw with you that night, did you date her after I left?”

 

It stabbed me right off the bat. I was cornered by a lovely fox.

 

“Hyo… about that… I-“

 

“Oh, I get it, Junho. Maybe, you’re expecting me to go ballistic right now, you know... like I would make a scene while asking this question? But I just want to know.”

 

She made it appear like a casual topic. Too casual, in fact, I totally dislike it.

 

A serious subject like this should be dealt differently.

 

“No. I didn’t.” He answered.

 

Liar. I bet you did. Now, it was my turn to process thoughts like paper in a mill.

 

“Okay. If you say so, then I guess, I have to believe it. You’re kissing her that time and I saw it.”

 

“She was kissing me, Hyo. You saw it and you ran. You left.”

 

“Yeah, I drove, was hit by a truck and almost died.”

 

“Hyo.”

 

“Junho.”

 

“I’m sorry.”

 

Silence prevailed but then slowly, a smirk was given.

 

“Maybe you think that I can’t say it am I right?”

 

“A little, it’s just that I’m not prepared, I never imagined that we’re gonna talk about it so casually.”

 

“It’s okay. I didn’t die anyways.”

 

She took another sip and paid a soft smile. She rested her back and looked at me.

 

I wonder how she could say those words that easy… like it’s nothing.

 

Her words sounded like ice. Cold.

 

 

================

 

 

I was awoken by inaudible chatter outside my front door.

 

“I guess there’s someone who’s transferring here again.” I mumbled.

 

Settled and free- here are the terms that Yuri once used when they discovered that I finally switched addresses.

 

It’s been days since our last meeting- Hyoyeon and I. And because this is a fairly new building, I was accustomed to thumps, thuds and chattering.

 

Furniture deliveries, people walking inside and out lifting boxes, faces that I may have had the slightest chance of seeing, I was used to all these recently.

 

I thought of taking a peek, had the door slightly opened. The unit across mine had an owner.

 

His back was turned, incessantly talking with a woman, who I believed was an interior designer. She was showing him something, and I could hear him saying a few more instructions.

 

“Green would be nice. But I don’t like the olive type of green, I wanted the lighter shade.”

 

His voice, it sounded very familiar.

 

“And yeah, she wanted her room white. You think a four-poster would fit inside? She was already having it made.”

 

And I saw the woman nodding.

 

His voice, again, it’s not only familiar, I’m certain that I already heard it somewhere.

 

The guy turned around.

 

Donghae.

 

Not only a familiar voice. Definitely not.

 

 

 

 

***************

 

Pls. Comment,Subscribe & Upvote!!!